Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Oh sure, Winter Soldier, Thor 3, IM 3 and maaaybe Guardians 1 are legit good movies. Was really surprised by how much I enjoyed Thor 3, but I can't quite shake the feeling it was more of a Guardians movie, but with the cast of Thor instead. I think the whole sci fi comedy angle would have worked a lot better with Quill and co.
The problem with Im3 is that it was rendered moot the second Ultron hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

McCloud posted:

Look man, if you don't think Aliens and T2 are the pinnacles of their genres, that's on you :colbert:

Oh dang, I forgot those were you. Nevermiiiind

TFA is really good though and a Snyder Star Wars would take everything TFA did right and do the exact opposite

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I really need to watch IM3 again and try to understand why this thread likes it so much. I remember feeling so disappointed in the aftermath of Avengers. And I'm pretty sure Thor 2 was right after that. Bad one-two punch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Thor 2 was pretty fun. Better than Thor 1.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you were put off by the Mandarin's turn, a second viewing knowing that he's a joke might improve things.
I just hated the stuff with the kid.

Lurdiak posted:

Thor 2 was pretty fun. Better than Thor 1.

Negatory.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So you're saying Thor 1 was better? The dutch angle movie with the cheap sets? That's a very confusing perspective.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

The dutch angle movie ... That's a very confusing perspective.

:rimshot:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
im3 wasn't great but i think it had some good sequences, gave rhodey a lot more screen time iirc, and even if it wasnt entirely successful i thought the ptsd angle was an interesting idea and, of course, it was overall much better than 2. mccloud is right though that age of ultron basically shat all over it

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

site posted:

im3 wasn't great but i think it had some good sequences, gave rhodey a lot more screen time iirc, and even if it wasnt entirely successful i thought the ptsd angle was an interesting idea and, of course, it was overall much better than 2. mccloud is right though that age of ultron basically shat all over it

Sure but that's not really a problem with IM3 so much as a problem with Age of Ultron which yes, was not a very good movie. Though in fairness not necessarily to Age of Ultron or Whedon but in a more general sense, I do think it was kind of weird for Marvel to let Shane Black make an Iron Man movie which ends with Tony Stark essentially giving up being Iron Man when they had to know there was no way that was going to stick for any serious length of time because c'mon. I'd say the more annoying bit of Ultron is Nick Fury showing up like nothing happened in Winter Soldier, that feels much more like a squandering of a much better movie's character development to me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Iron Man 3 has a message and a point instead of being a good movie about Iron Man, which appeals to some people.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SonicRulez posted:

I really need to watch IM3 again and try to understand why this thread likes it so much. I remember feeling so disappointed in the aftermath of Avengers. And I'm pretty sure Thor 2 was right after that. Bad one-two punch.

Shane Black's writing, the Mandarin twist, the Air Force One set piece, the Iron Man Three credits video.

I am incredibly biased because I saw it on, like, date #3 with my girlfriend.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sony has hired two writers for that still happening Black Cat and Silver Sable movie.

http://collider.com/silver-sable-black-cat-movie-writers/#images

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Kai Tave posted:

Sure but that's not really a problem with IM3 so much as a problem with Age of Ultron which yes, was not a very good movie. Though in fairness not necessarily to Age of Ultron or Whedon but in a more general sense, I do think it was kind of weird for Marvel to let Shane Black make an Iron Man movie which ends with Tony Stark essentially giving up being Iron Man when they had to know there was no way that was going to stick for any serious length of time because c'mon. I'd say the more annoying bit of Ultron is Nick Fury showing up like nothing happened in Winter Soldier, that feels much more like a squandering of a much better movie's character development to me.

ive probably said this before but i think im3 wouldve worked better if it came after ultron. like tony is just done being an avenger after loving up so bad and thats why hes not directly involved at the beginning of civil war and esp for spiderman hes more now the boss and then infinity war drags him out of retirement basically

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

site posted:

ive probably said this before but i think im3 wouldve worked better if it came after ultron. like tony is just done being an avenger after loving up so bad and thats why hes not directly involved at the beginning of civil war and esp for spiderman hes more now the boss and then infinity war drags him out of retirement basically

I agree with this wholeheartedly. The PTSD angle would be stronger after Ultron as well.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I feel like Civil War retroactively makes Age of Ultron better, and helps it jibe better with Iron Man 3; Tony tries to get better and give up Iron Manning, but good intentions aren’t enough so he flames out. Tony’s character arc in the movies is more of a sine wave.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Yeah the Russos are the only people other than Feige keeping track of poo poo and tying up any loose ends they can. That's why I was excited they got Infinity War because that was already going to be a difficult balancing act and if someone like Whedon who just doesn't give a poo poo what foundation the people before him built up it could easily blow a hole in this shared universe thing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
My biggest problem with Iron Man 3 was realizing that if Tony can just remote control all these suits and make an army, why does he ever suit up in the first place?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Phylodox posted:

I feel like Civil War retroactively makes Age of Ultron better, and helps it jibe better with Iron Man 3; Tony tries to get better and give up Iron Manning, but good intentions aren’t enough so he flames out. Tony’s character arc in the movies is more of a sine wave.

i mean, i agree that that scene in cw was a way to retroactively try and make aou mesh better with im3 but if im3 came after aou the russos probably wouldnt have needed to try and fix it

BiggerBoat posted:

My biggest problem with Iron Man 3 was realizing that if Tony can just remote control all these suits and make an army, why does he ever suit up in the first place?

umm friday cant handle all those suits like jarvis could...because reasons

also tony is an adrenaline junky

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

They're repeatedly shone to be kinda poo poo without a pilot, and if he's going to be on the ground in the fight it makes sense to be in a suit.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Tony's relationship with putting on the armor and his need for control has been a big thing about the character in all of his appearances.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

BiggerBoat posted:

I rationalize it as letting your ai teammates in video games (shooters/sports/etc) do poo poo on their own. It works but not really.

Part of the problem with armor wars, in the movies and comics, is why hasn't he trained people to fly the other suits?

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 15, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Part of the problem with armor wars, in the movies and comics, is why hasn't he trained people to fly the other suits?

That one also can be chalked up to Tony's need to be the guy in control of stuff. Like they directly touch on this in IM3 during the final showdown when Rhodey says "hey great, you called in all these other suits, quick give me one" and Tony's all "uh yeah, well the thing is they're all personally coded to my biometrics soooo uhhh best of luck." Dozens and dozens of suits of power armor on hand, and absolutely no provision for letting anyone else use one in an emergency.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I rationalize it as letting your ai teammates in video games (shooters/sports/etc) do poo poo on their own. It works but not really.

Yeah, the AI ones came in handy in that last battle on the boat but a lot of them got taken out by things that wouldn’t have worked with Tony running them directly.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Kai Tave posted:

That one also can be chalked up to Tony's need to be the guy in control of stuff. Like they directly touch on this in IM3 during the final showdown when Rhodey says "hey great, you called in all these other suits, quick give me one" and Tony's all "uh yeah, well the thing is they're all personally coded to my biometrics soooo uhhh best of luck." Dozens and dozens of suits of power armor on hand, and absolutely no provision for letting anyone else use one in an emergency.

lol yeah in im2 fury talks about how tony intentionally let rhodey take the war machine armor cuz he still has overrride control so him not keying rhodey into anything built after that is just him being an rear end in a top hat

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

site posted:

i mean, i agree that that scene in cw was a way to retroactively try and make aou mesh better with im3 but if im3 came after aou the russos probably wouldnt have needed to try and fix it

I actually prefer it this way because it turns what would have been a more straightforward character arc into something more complex. Tony’s not just a guy who hits bottom and bounces back, he’s someone who has a traumatic experience (The Avengers), has trouble dealing with it until he has an epiphany (Iron Man 3) but, in the end, lacks the resolve to follow through on it and doubles down while relapsing (Age of Ultron), and by the time we catch up to him in Civil War he’s cruising along at bottom, looking for some way to absolve himself of the blame he can’t bring himself to accept.

Then Homecoming hints at him kind of trying to get his poo poo together again, reconciling with Pepper, taking a step back from Iron Manning, and trying to find some redemption through Pete.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

^^^^^This is why Iron Man is the poo poo and also why they can do other characters now.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i actually like really that interpretation but now that ive had to think about it again through the lens of tonys arc now it's spider-man thats getting to me cuz apparently a lot of stuff has been going down between civil war and it for tony and we're not privy to any of it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I do like that Disney has been willing to allow Marvel to keep Tony Stark as the biggest dumb rear end in a top hat of all time throughout the Marvel movies rather than trying to neatly tie his character up with a redemptive bow.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The kid! That's the part I didn't like. I don't remember the villain doing much for me either. Honestly the Extremis stuff felt like it was getting in the way of a really sad Christmas movie.

The original Thor is definitely better than its sequel. The first Thor is kinda fun. Of the Phase 1 movies, I'll take it over Incredible Hulk. I know that sounds like it's not saying anything, but I hold firm to the notion that none of the MCU movies have been straight up bad. Mediocre at worst.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I love Iron Man 3 because I love Shane Black movies

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah, same.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The kid was hilarious in Iron Man 3.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I feel really bad about the stuff with the kid cuz objectively he was treating the kid like crap but on the other i found myself laughing while he was doing it cuz it was done in an amusing way

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

site posted:

I feel really bad about the stuff with the kid cuz objectively he was treating the kid like crap but on the other i found myself laughing while he was doing it cuz it was done in an amusing way

This is Tony Stark's actual superpower, the ability to be a huge fuckin prick but in a way you still find charming.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Age of Ultron is the bad movie that kinda doesn't jibe with a lot of the other movies in the franchise.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

BiggerBoat posted:

You're telling me that if you had a suit of armor that let you fly and shoot lasers from your hands you wouldn't be doing that poo poo all the time?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

achillesforever6 posted:

I just watched The Nice Guys, and drat, that was a great movie.

SonicRulez posted:

The kid! That's the part I didn't like. I don't remember the villain doing much for me either. Honestly the Extremis stuff felt like it was getting in the way of a really sad Christmas movie.

The original Thor is definitely better than its sequel. The first Thor is kinda fun. Of the Phase 1 movies, I'll take it over Incredible Hulk. I know that sounds like it's not saying anything, but I hold firm to the notion that none of the MCU movies have been straight up bad. Mediocre at worst.

Thor is a lot of fun, and watching Thor be the fish out of water is really enjoyable. I did notice when I marathoned the Marvel Movies not too long ago, that when they want to visit some indignity on a hero, its always Thor. It's probably because Hemsworth can keep his heroic and regal barring while being smooshed against glass or peed on by a dog.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

site posted:

i actually like really that interpretation but now that ive had to think about it again through the lens of tonys arc now it's spider-man thats getting to me cuz apparently a lot of stuff has been going down between civil war and it for tony and we're not privy to any of it.

Again, to me that’s a feature, not a bug. It’s all subtext until it blows up. It kind of reminds me of old school Law & Order episodes where the show proper is about the cops doing their jobs, but every once in a while Logan will say, like, “Hey, Lennie, I just want you to know I’m here for you during the divorce” and you’re like “What?!? What divorce! Lennie was married? What’s happening!” You get enough info to tantalize you, but it’s never the focus of the show until it directly effects the plot.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Thor 2 is the only bad mcu movie. Not just criminally boring like strange, just bad. i don't blame hemsworth for being about to bail before taika came along with ragnarok

Phylodox posted:

Again, to me that’s a feature, not a bug. It’s all subtext until it blows up. It kind of reminds me of old school Law & Order episodes where the show proper is about the cops doing their jobs, but every once in a while Logan will say, like, “Hey, Lennie, I just want you to know I’m here for you during the divorce” and you’re like “What?!? What divorce! Lennie was married? What’s happening!” You get enough info to tantalize you, but it’s never the focus of the show until it directly effects the plot.

Mmm tbh i dunno if i can follow you on this one. The MCU has been pretty good about following the characters through their arcs, it kinda felt like there was a missing movie between civil war and homecoming

site fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Thor 2 isn't a great film but I'd rather watch the portal shenanigans at the end of it than the bland crap that was Winter Soldier's final act.

• Locked thread