Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Finally snagged a SOTC SE copy. Booting it up and drat its pretty. Intro cinema still gives me chills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Boogalo posted:

Finally snagged a SOTC SE copy. Booting it up and drat its pretty. Intro cinema still gives me chills.

I had bought the Ico/SOTC PS3 remaster when it came out and kinda bounced off of it. Not sure why since I had loved them on PS2, ICO especially I had played through multiple times. Due to that I was feeling kinda ho-hum about the SOTC remake but all the praise for it in this thread is making me want to see if it’ll bring the magic back for me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Far Cry 4 was amazing.

Pretty short game if you ask me, I guess they were really influenced by walking sims

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I liked Far Cry 4, but was kind burnt out because I played Far Cry 3 shortly before that. Didn't bother with Primal. But Far Cry 5 seems interesting, I've been on a "kill white supremacists" kick with Wolfenstein as well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Far Cry 4 was amazing.

Pretty short game if you ask me, I guess they were really influenced by walking sims

Kinda weird that Ubisoft decided to remove all combat from FC5 in favor of audiologs depicting one teenage girl's queer awakening in rural Montana, but I hope it pays off.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
press L1 to time travel

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Far Cry 4 was amazing.

I wonder how many people did that on their first time through.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

far cry 4 was a good enough game to make me want to play far cry 5 but I've never played any of the others

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

shut up blegum posted:

Was 3 the one with the tattoo that gave you powers or something? I don't remember anything about the story :shrug:

Yeah it was. The story was full of lazy racist tropes and the guy who wrote it did some interview where he tried to claim it was all brilliant satire or something

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fridge corn posted:

far cry 4 was a good enough game to make me want to play far cry 5 but I've never played any of the others

1 was amazing for the time but it's probably extremely dated to play now.
2 has really cool gameplay ideas but it has awful respawning enemy camps which totally kill any sense of progress

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
1 was kinda crazy that around halfway in they introduce Mutants and suddenly it's DOOM-lite

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

3 had a winsguit and it was pretty fun. the fall damage was weirdly severe when you weren't using it tho iirc

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Far Cry 4 was solid but I don't think it did enough to expand upon 3 to be that noteworthy. Basically 2 had a lot of good ideas but a lot of jank, 3 was polished and a blast to play but fell too hard into the Ubisoft open world trap, and 4 was just more of 3.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Most common opinion about FC1 is that is a good game until the trigens (mutants) appear in the mid-late game. I beat it on PC and got for really cheap the updated xbox360 port wich is surprisingly good, introduced ironsights and better saving.

FC2 is drat fun, but checkpoints or camps respawn as soon as you move like 100m away from them and enemies chase you forever so you end being tired of running away. There's a mod (Dylan's FC2) wich fixes a lot of the stuff, improves weapon wear and that. Get it on PC just for that mod for maybe peak Farcry gameplay, both Steam and GOG version are DRM free (yes, you can get steam version and move the folder into an usb drive if you want). I think that there are updated and newer versions of Dylan's mod and they're as easy to install as just copy/paste a few files into your FC2 folder.

Edit: Vanilla FC2 has waaaaay too heavy enemy respawning while in FC3 once you clear a zone on the map it becomes empty. FC4 has the ocasional enemy trying to take an outpost back so while it is still closer to FC3, you can let them get some zones back and fight for them again.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 14, 2018

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I'm really going some of the Far Cry 5 DLC live up to Blood Dragon. It should be interesting, to say the least:

"Dead Living Zombies will pit players against “hordes of the undead” in a “zombie-infested wasteland.” Hours of Darkness takes players to Vietnam, where they will do battle against the Viet Cong. Finally, Lost on Mars zips them into a spacesuit and drops them onto the red planet to fight against giant spiders."

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

fridge corn posted:

It starts strong and gets amazing with the copter+ grenade pistol but the end is crazy bad imo like put a boss in your game idiots.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

It starts strong and gets amazing with the copter+ grenade pistol but the end is crazy bad imo like put a boss in your game idiots.

lol copter + grenade pistol 4 eva

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Timotheous Venture posted:

Finally, Lost on Mars zips them into a spacesuit and drops them onto the red planet to fight against giant spiders."

Can you play this left hand?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

Kinda weird that Ubisoft decided to remove all combat from FC5 in favor of audiologs depicting one teenage girl's queer awakening in rural Montana, but I hope it pays off.

Holy poo poo the reveal that Far Cry 5 is actually a Gone Home sequel got me hype as gently caress!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Telltale’s Far Cry: The Monster Is Man

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I keep hoping that Zip will post again. The suspense is killing me softly with its song

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Forgot about the card:

Put a ring on it.

fridge corn posted:

press L1 to time travel

:stoked:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fruit on the bottom posted:

I keep hoping that Zip will post again. The suspense is killing me softly with its song

Don't be mean

:phoneb::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::lol::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phone:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Yakuza 0: Holy poo poo, the fight against the Jupiter Manager is by large the best in the game so far. The guy is a monster, but he's not overpowered, he knows how to dodge and how to defend, it's amazing. I used Thug and made sure to not use any healing items just to make the whole thing more frantic. And you get one billion yen for winning.

I also learned all the Slugger moves from Fei Hu and all Thug moves from Komei but for, some reason, I can't learn the last Breaker technique, guess I gotta spend some more dough.

I also hired Unknown...poor girl :(

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah it was. The story was full of lazy racist tropes and the guy who wrote it did some interview where he tried to claim it was all brilliant satire or something
I also mentionned this in the PYF "Things bringing this game down" thread, but I'm 90% sure that your character gets raped by the woman leader of the good guys in Farcry 3. Like, you get drugged and go through an acid trip-type mission, and when you wake up she's sitting on top of you, naked. And then nobody mentions this, ever.

It really reinforces the feeling of tone-deafness of the game.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
haha I definitely remember that being brought up a lot at the time. it’s a shame cause there are certain parts where you can really tell they were attempting to subvert the cliches but it doesn’t work AT ALL and really is one of the most tone deaf VG stories of all time

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Another reason Far Cry 3's story is such a punching bag, is that the pre release footage with Vaas was so promising, but he was absent for 90% of the game and didn't end up even being a particularly compelling character after the intro.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Samuringa posted:

Yakuza 0: Holy poo poo, the fight against the Jupiter Manager is by large the best in the game so far. The guy is a monster, but he's not overpowered, he knows how to dodge and how to defend, it's amazing. I used Thug and made sure to not use any healing items just to make the whole thing more frantic. And you get one billion yen for winning.

I also learned all the Slugger moves from Fei Hu and all Thug moves from Komei but for, some reason, I can't learn the last Breaker technique, guess I gotta spend some more dough.

I also hired Unknown...poor girl :(

You won't have the option to learn a move until you've unlocked all the moves in the grid leading up to it.

As always in Yakuza 0, the solution is to spend more money.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Escobarbarian posted:

haha I definitely remember that being brought up a lot at the time. it’s a shame cause there are certain parts where you can really tell they were attempting to subvert the cliches but it doesn’t work AT ALL and really is one of the most tone deaf VG stories of all time
On the one hand, the player character actually has an arc and changes somewhat organically through the story, which is unfortunately exceedingly rare in gaming. On the other hand, you're an upper middle-class white 18-35 who saves an entire helpless indigenous people from an evil white capitalist (did he own a PMC?) with the help of a noble savage (actually 2).

The game is also punctuated with mega-pretentious Alice in Wonderland quotes.

Edit: I actually really liked Farcry 3, because I thought the first person animations were very immersive and fun, the gunplay was effective and the open world meshed very well with the other systems (the fire, the animals, etc.). It was great to run around and take over camps. But the narrative was abysmal. I remember the music being okay, but I was really into dubstep at the time. Still, I'd be really tempted to get the Farcry 5 season pass for the remastered version, but it comes out after, and I'm pretty sure Farcry 5 with Farcry me out before then.

CordlessPen fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 15, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah for sure I was obsessed with the game and played it to death when it came out, gameplay-wise it really was an absolute blast. I’m hoping 5 will give me more of that.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So secret of mana is $40 but digital only? 🤔

Y’all getting it or

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

shut up blegum posted:

Was 3 the one with the tattoo that gave you powers or something? I don't remember anything about the story :shrug:

the natives fed him some bullshit about the tattoo and drugged up sex so he could be a disposible warrior. i get what they were trying to do and subvert stuff but like other games, its terribly told.

CordlessPen posted:

On the one hand, the player character actually has an arc and changes somewhat organically through the story, which is unfortunately exceedingly rare in gaming. On the other hand, you're an upper middle-class white 18-35 who saves an entire helpless indigenous people from an evil white capitalist (did he own a PMC?) with the help of a noble savage (actually 2).

The game is also punctuated with mega-pretentious Alice in Wonderland quotes.

Edit: I actually really liked Farcry 3, because I thought the first person animations were very immersive and fun, the gunplay was effective and the open world meshed very well with the other systems (the fire, the animals, etc.). It was great to run around and take over camps. But the narrative was abysmal. I remember the music being okay, but I was really into dubstep at the time. Still, I'd be really tempted to get the Farcry 5 season pass for the remastered version, but it comes out after, and I'm pretty sure Farcry 5 with Farcry me out before then.

you don't really "save them" though. they bassicaly fill your head with drugs and bullshit and hope you defeat the implied last champion(vas) and his boss, then if you pick the bad ending, you end up being a seed bank and dying. the issue is while alot of the ideas are interesting, the writer is pretentious twat who doesnt know how to actualy write a story with out it coming off a bad and or tonedefe.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 15, 2018

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Y’all getting it or

It's got a limited run at GameStop if you want a disc I guess

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Y’all getting it or

Im waiting for 9.99 it looks iffy

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

1redflag posted:

Did anyone end up playing the MGSurvive Demo? Was it any good?

It was good and theres another demo this weekend

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I'm having a lot of fun with SoM on PS4 and I really really like the new remastered soundtrack.

Edit: The only thing that's a bit grating is the english VO.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So my Dualshock’s right stick appear to be messing up and is always going “up” even when I’m not touching it. Is there any way to calibrate these? Would warranty cover it? It’s the one that came with the Pro so I’m not sure how easy or hard it would be to get it fixed.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Try pressing the stick slightly downward of where you normally would.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Capsaicin posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with SoM on PS4 and I really really like the new remastered soundtrack.

Edit: The only thing that's a bit grating is the english VO.

Why the gently caress is this thing out on PS4 but not released on Steam??? Bullshit I say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

DrNutt posted:

Why the gently caress is this thing out on PS4 but not released on Steam??? Bullshit I say.

there's usually a delay with pc releases for japanese games since there's not much of a market for pc games in japan

square usually gets around to it eventually. like ff15 came out two years ago on ps4 but the pc version launches in march of this year