Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
wow what a shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Korea are on fire.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

How do those shoes work anyway

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Oh man...

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

alnilam posted:

I assume they're slightly spikey on one half and smooth on the other.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

korea dominating

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Homan not going undefeated, unbelievable.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Yeesh

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

If we're free, tell me why
I can't look in my brother's eye
Oh man Homan

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
:drat:

Stole three from Canada.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Are there rules about who has to throw the stone or do they get to choose whatever positions they want each throw

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
Wow that was a tough shot to try. Risky move not just drawing in.

alnilam posted:

The sole of the sliding foot is made of some slippery polymer, and when the want grip they cover it up with a slip-on rubber sole.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

alnilam posted:

Are there rules about who has to throw the stone or do they get to choose whatever positions they want each throw

It's set. 2 stones each. The skip normally throws last.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
On March 3rd my wife and I along with 2 friends are going to be taking an introductory curling lesson in Kansas City. I'm so EXCITED.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

Korea makin some mistakes

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

oh by the way us vs eve is down to the last stone much to my surprise

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

US legit has a shot against GB and I’m hootin and hollerin

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

drat nice korea beats canada

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

we beat eve

:smith:

Hoekie
Apr 22, 2010
wow. Muirhead with the miss.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rip GBR

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Hoekie posted:

wow. Muirhead with the miss.

Genuinely shocked but hey, good on the US to not make it easy.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

thank god i didn't post before tonight's action started just get to the muirhead-homan final because lol

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
why did Homan not just shoot for the draw. that 9th end was a disaster. happy to see Korea win on home ice though :D

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Martian Manfucker posted:

why did Homan not just shoot for the draw. that 9th end was a disaster. happy to see Korea win on home ice though :D

I suppose the thought was that they didn't want to draw for 1, tie the score, and give away the hammer for the 10th end. But that was a really tough shot, and I don't think it was a good call.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Martian Manfucker posted:

Wanted to go up by 1 rather than tied heading to the 10th without the hammer I assume.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Tied without hammer in the tenth is pretty much a lost cause anyways so you might as well give yourself a chance and it doesn’t matter if you lose by 1 or 4...

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

I don't know a huge amount about curling but I think I've seen more one point steals than 4 point ends.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

It's probably super hard to steal when the team with the hammer isn't trying to score at least 2 though.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

Yeah I guess it's kind of a rock and hard place situation

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

gret posted:

It's probably super hard to steal when the team with the hammer isn't trying to score at least 2 though.

The 5 rock rule makes it a lot easier. It was mentioned earlier in the season that Homan is about 50/50 tied in the last end without the hammer.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
And there’s the Shuster we know. Italy with a 5 in the 3rd.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bankok posted:

I've been watching a replay of Mikaela Shiffrin but lol

Just loving lol

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

Josh Lyman posted:

I've been watching a replay of Mikaela Shiffrin but lol

Just loving lol

He did make a nice double to take 3 in the 4th, so we’re not in full on Shuster mode yet.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Bankok posted:

And then gets a 3. Win or lose, Shuster always makes for good TV.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Shuster is the Brett Favre of Curling

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Big rally from Shuster and company. 6-6 now with USA/Italy at the halfway point. This is a fun somewhat sloppy mess to watch.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just watched end 3 and lol, after Shuster completely fucks up his last stone to allow Italy to score 5, he says "I thought I threw it good" and the announcer says the stone overcurled, but actually he threw peel weight and started it too far over so even if it ran straight, it still wouldn't have worked.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

alnilam posted:

WienerDog posted:

The sole of the sliding foot is made of some slippery polymer, and when the want grip they cover it up with a slip-on rubber sole.

Yeah exactly. Your sliding foot has a sole or pads of (I think it's either nylon or a high density polyurethane) slippery plastic, and the other is textured rubber. These are mine:

Then you have a slip-on gripper to cover it up when you don't want to break your neck. You can see how the toe gets worn down by sliding on the ice, I haven't even curled a full season in these yet and the left one is a little road rashed.

Lots of people who are just getting into the game just use the loaner stuff the rinks have, which is generally a flip-flop or sandal-like slider that slips over your normal street sneakers. It works fine, but these shoes are quite comfortable and very functional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

End 4, Italy got super greedy with their last stone. Could've just frozen to their shot stone on the button and at least stolen 1, but instead they went for a weird double takeout, missed, and left USA a pretty straightforward double takeout.

• Locked thread