Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I liked Atari/Tengen Tetris, which, oddly enough, was available to rent for NES at my local video store---now I look at prices, yikes.

I've been needing more Tetris lately - most likely one on PC because I've been in a slump and have had very little impetus to gently caress around with my consoles of late.

Almost bought a SNES the other night, but my local didn't have any in stock. And since I've never owned one, is there any major difference between the original and the "mini"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

hexwren posted:

I liked Atari/Tengen Tetris, which, oddly enough, was available to rent for NES at my local video store---now I look at prices, yikes.

I've been needing more Tetris lately - most likely one on PC because I've been in a slump and have had very little impetus to gently caress around with my consoles of late.

Almost bought a SNES the other night, but my local didn't have any in stock. And since I've never owned one, is there any major difference between the original and the "mini"?

The original has varying picture quality depending on the revision. The mini is pretty much guaranteed to be of good quality, but requires modding for svideo or rgb.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

hexwren posted:

And since I've never owned one, is there any major difference between the original and the "mini"?
The Mini doesn't have s-video or RGB support without modding, only RF and composite. RGB modded SNES Mini has arguably the best quality RGB out of any SNES model, though.

There are also differences in the original and 1CHIP versions of the fat SNES console. The original has blurrier video output (at least when using RGB) while the 1CHIP models have minor glitches in some games.

edit: :arghfist::saddowns:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

sudo rm -rf posted:

do they disable the dvr feature for their live streams or something? forces me to watch it live.

Youtube silently killed that feature like a month ago.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

hexwren posted:

As RZA said, the SNES can have varying video quality depending on the internal video encoder chip, while the Mini tends to have very good image quality (but it only has composite video wired up through the multi-AV; S-Video and RGB have to be reconnected).

There are also the 1CHIP SNES models, which use the original SNES case and have good video quality, but expect to pay a premium for one or have to go through more work to "treasure hunt" one in the wild based on serial numbers.

That said, if you're just using composite or S-Video, it's not that big of a deal. And hey, nothing that says you can't get multiple consoles; I have a modded Mini and a Super Famicom because why not? Of course, I wouldn't advise getting a Super Famicom right off the bat, though, unless you're planning to solely stick with an Everdrive and/or only ever use Japanese cartridges.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Ofecks posted:

Well a lot of game music was released on CD in Japan. Of course, most of those are long out-of-print but with some googling, they're easier to find rips of than standard music at least. I personally know of two places that do OST rips as well as chiptunes straight off the consoles. Not sure if I'm allowed to link those here, though. PM me if you want.

I never upgraded to platinum but shoot me an email at andrewhaddowbliz at gmail.
And nice purchase on those soundtracks they look awesome.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Not an arcade Tetris but "The Next Tetris" on PS1 was always my favorite. The unique round structure and ranking system really sucked me and my friends in and made for some intense dorm/sleepover sessions into the wee hours of the night. Plus "custom soundtracks" on a PS1 game were so novel (you could pop out the game disc after the initial load, put in any music cd, and control tracks/volume with the shoulder buttons, as an officially supported feature).

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

sudo rm -rf posted:

do they disable the dvr feature for their live streams or something? forces me to watch it live.

I've been seeing that on more streams, SmokeMonsters was like that too. Might be something youtube is pushing out.

hexwren posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k2HVB9S8CA

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, I'd be running it over coax because I suck - my crt has rca and component inputs, but the times I've tried to hook my PS2 into component, it wouldn't output sound correctly. or my tv wouldn't. Or the component cord I used was busted. I should descend once more into the jungle and see if I can unfuck that poo poo.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

...or I could just plug it in and everything works? What the christ. Okay, well, PS2's working over component, that's nice.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

byuu got up to some exotic ROM dumping.

https://twitter.com/byuu_san/status/962964342625927168

https://twitter.com/byuu_san/status/963612465832644608

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

hexwren posted:

...or I could just plug it in and everything works? What the christ. Okay, well, PS2's working over component, that's nice.
Sometimes disconnecting the cable shakes out all the gremlins.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Were these never dumped?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

For anyone who bought one:
https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Super-NT-Jailbreak

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think it's more they were never properly dumped. byuu did indicate he had to write custom software to dump these. Could be some iffiness with the existing dumps to varying degrees.

Also byuu is doing his dumps in an extremely exhaustive way, like where he includes extraneous information like what data is in which specific chips and how they're all connected to one-another, and stuff like that, and he is specifically manually redumping everything, and verifying his dumps against the dumps that have been circulating forever.

Another fun extra, he also recently dumped the only Hong Kong region game (Yoshi's Island), although it's apparently just the US ROM inside a Super Famicom-style shell.

https://twitter.com/byuu_san/status/963500729162969092

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

I might just be bad at computering, but now that his packs are on github I have no idea how any of it works.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

I might just be bad at computering, but now that his packs are on github I have no idea how any of it works.

Looks like you just grab the .bin file in the firmware folder, put that on the root of an FAT32 SD card with ROM's, and enjoy.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Oh nice, I'll have to try this out when I get home. I assume it doesn't support any of the cartridge chips at the moment, but it doesn't really say.

Sir Tonk posted:

This isn't the pack, it's jailbreak firmware for the Super NT.

For the packs, you download the tool and the text file, put all your ROMs in a folder, then run the tool to sort them into folders. It can also output a list of what you have & don't have. Makes it a little rougher to get the obscure stuff and pre-patched hacks/fixes/translations, but there are updated packs floating around too.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm poking around but haven't found anything, has anyone done somewhat extensive input lag testing for the Super NT? Like comparing it to an original console with a Framemeister and an original console with a CRT (and maybe also to an SNES Classic and other more emulation-based solutions)?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

I think it's more they were never properly dumped. byuu did indicate he had to write custom software to dump these. Could be some iffiness with the existing dumps to varying degrees.

Also byuu is doing his dumps in an extremely exhaustive way, like where he includes extraneous information like what data is in which specific chips and how they're all connected to one-another, and stuff like that, and he is specifically manually redumping everything, and verifying his dumps against the dumps that have been circulating forever.

Another fun extra, he also recently dumped the only Hong Kong region game (Yoshi's Island), although it's apparently just the US ROM inside a Super Famicom-style shell.

https://twitter.com/byuu_san/status/963500729162969092

That's pretty unsurprising to be honest. South Korea's Comboy games are just roms from JP & US with Korean art/manuals.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

univbee posted:

I'm poking around but haven't found anything, has anyone done somewhat extensive input lag testing for the Super NT? Like comparing it to an original console with a Framemeister and an original console with a CRT (and maybe also to an SNES Classic and other more emulation-based solutions)?

Maybe some of this was covered in the first My Life In Gaming YouTube review on release day? I thought they did at least to some extent.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the my life in gaming episode went into it. It had excellent response time.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

univbee posted:

It's essentially perfect, with multiple options on how to deal with the slight mistimings between SNES and 60Hz panel.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Final Update! I was wrong. I think this glitch was caused by my flash cart not seating properly the first time. I've since removed and replaced it and now I can't recreate the problem. My bad.

Got my Super NT today and I've already found a glitch. The torches in Super Castlevania 4 seem to have an issue.

I am using a flash cart but that same cart in a regular SNES has no such problem. If anyone else with an actual cart and Super NT could confirm I'd like to know.

UPDATE! I tried loading Super Castlevania 4 using this jailbroken firmware instead. Thank you for posting that! The weird glitch with the torches candles was not present when I did that. So maybe there was something about the Super NT/flash cart combo that caused it? Very weird.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 15, 2018

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

lol if it turns out the SNT is glitchy with flash carts

e: but jailbreaking negates that

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

TVs Ian posted:

This isn't the pack, it's jailbreak firmware for the Super NT.

univbee posted:

Looks like you just grab the .bin file in the firmware folder, put that on the root of an FAT32 SD card with ROM's, and enjoy.

Yeah I meant the SM packs in general. Was much easier when he threw everything up on mega and I could just download that.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

d0s posted:

lol if it turns out the SNT is glitchy with flash carts

e: but jailbreaking negates that

Ah no, I think I hosed up. After the game loaded fine with the jailbroken firmware I tried the flash cart again and had no problems. I suspect it wasn't seated properly the first time.

This jailbroken firmware works quite nicely though.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

I applied the jailbreak, and now the screen won't stay on. It blinks on and off a few times, then just dies.

So I'll roll back to 4.1, make sure it works, then try jailbreaking again after re-downloading the file and see how that goes. Hopefully it was just a bad download, because it worked fine pre-jailbreak.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Well dip, now I got this glitch in FF3:

This was a rom loaded using the jailbroken firmware so I'm not sure how I could have user error'd this one. It is unofficial firmware so I guess you can't really hold it against them. I dunno, I'm done with glitch hunt for now.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

None of the reviews that I've seen have had glitches like that. Clean the cart edges and don't store them in a musty basement to avoid rust or something?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

falz posted:

None of the reviews that I've seen have had glitches like that. Clean the cart edges and don't store them in a musty basement to avoid rust or something?

he said it was a rom

falz
Jan 29, 2005

oh, the 0's must have rusted then.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So is anyone else into Homebrew games or ROM Hacks on NES carts? It's something that I wanted to dive deeper into, especially trying to put together some of my own. For now I wanna focus on games that are STUPID expensive of Translations of games only released in japan. But I need to figure out what PCBs to get for Translated games.

Does anyone here do it?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 15, 2018

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

falz posted:

None of the reviews that I've seen have had glitches like that.

I dunno. Maybe I need to re-format that SD card or something. The main takeaway here is I'm using the Super NT in a fashion that isn't officially supported but is probably how most folks here would like to use it. Loading games via flash cart and jailbroken firmware is turning out to be kinda glitchy in my case. At least, glitchy in a way that my flash cart/snes combo never was. Make of that what you will.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I've applied a lot of translation patches to NES games and it's pretty simple. Playing the Japanese version of Castlevania 3 in English was fun.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Kevtris isn't officially claiming responsibility for this is he? Hopefully it's not as glitchy as people seem to be making out.
The Super NT got announced just a few days after I ordered my SD2SNES last year...

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

SmokeMonster denies responsibility in the readme, but doesn't say who the author is. I don't think anyone has claimed responsibility yet?

Does anyone know which DSP/expansion chips are supported so far on the jailbreak? I haven't seen a list anywhere.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

eshock posted:

Does anyone know which DSP/expansion chips are supported so far on the jailbreak? I haven't seen a list anywhere.

From what I’ve read, none of them. There’s a chance it may wind up needing a cart with the chip in the slot as a passthrough.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

If I were analog I'd fulfill all orders, let several months pass where their target market purchased one, and then release a kevtris official jailbreak to reinvigorate sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
If that new third party N64 controller isn't as good as the prototypes were, who do goons usually trust for buying refurbished N64 controllers? There's a bunch of sellers on eBay but if somebody good and trusted is doing it in SAMart, point me there.