Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

Any reason to avoid the Squier Vintage modified fretless? I've had good luck with the nicer squier guitars in the past. My 60's strat is great

I've got the VM Precision Fretless. It has a lined fretboard made of ebanol. I slapped some black flat tapewound strings on it and it sounds amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Personal preference but I find that nylon wound strings work better on a fretted instrument to give it a sort of muted tone since each note is metal on nylon instead of metal on metal. I have used black D'Addarios on a fretless and maybe it's because a piezo pickup is more sensitive to string noise but I find the noise they make when they contact the fingerboard to be annoying compared to flatwound steel strings.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Personal preference but I find that nylon wound strings work better on a fretted instrument to give it a sort of muted tone since each note is metal on nylon instead of metal on metal. I have used black D'Addarios on a fretless and maybe it's because a piezo pickup is more sensitive to string noise but I find the noise they make when they contact the fingerboard to be annoying compared to flatwound steel strings.

Not me. I've tried both, and I prefer the nylon tapewound flats. (Not nylon tapewound rounds, which do exist and are objectively terrible.) In my experience, they tend to have less brightness on the "mwaaaaah" sound, especially on wood (non-ebanol, non-acrylic finished) fingerboards. I like this because if you roll the tone back some and play with the side of your thumb while using the other side of your palm to very lightly mute the strings near the bridge, you can pull off a pretty nifty upright sound.

That, and both times I've tried steel (or any metal) flats in the past, I find that my fingers have too much grip on the strings. This makes it less comfortable to move up and down on them. Yes, there's a lot less string noise, but I like the bright tone of rounds and the ease with which my fingertips glide up and down over them.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

play it before you buy, the squier line has bad quality control and while some play and feel great some feel like crap

This. I tried out literally 13 Squire Jaguars before I found one that was perfect, it's worth shopping around.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Hey all, figured I'd throw something in here. I jam with a bassist and a while ago he expressed wanting more to do than root notes. So, I whipped up a sort of condensed, "fake theory" booklet for him, which you can see here.

It's not a good theory reference but it was designed to get him start jamming and noodle with more than roots. It's kind of worked! He can noodle major and minor scales on the E and A string.

Just figured someone may want to see it, or make fun of it :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Only thing I would recommend is teaching scales vertically before teaching horizontally. Being able to work across an octave in one position is much more useable 90% of the time. Then again, a lot of people get stuck there and never work on playing horizontally and shifting so that might work in his favor.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Typo
"However, this is often note possible or desired. So a good method is to apply your knowledge of intervals and work backwards." note -> not, though it's a nice typo :)

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Only thing I would recommend is teaching scales vertically before teaching horizontally. Being able to work across an octave in one position is much more useable 90% of the time. Then again, a lot of people get stuck there and never work on playing horizontally and shifting so that might work in his favor.

Agreed, I almost always think of scales vertically, and then work out how to move them up the neck.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Interesting! I follow on learning vertically. I'm not a teacher so I'm not great at teaching, but my method for learning vertically (or what I was teaching him) built on power chords. If you know your root and fifth you can kind of build on that, in my head.

If I get around to revising it I'll probably rework a chunk of it. Probably won't though, I just thought some of you guys would get a kick out of it :P

Typo is duly noted silvergoose! I thought I got away without them, dang!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I use stainless roundwounds on my fretless because my fingerboard being shredded with every note is integral to my tone.

Squier Vintage Modified stuff is good. Pickups suck, but build quality is definitely better than cheaper Squier stuff, older Squier stuff, and anything from SX/Agile/Whatever.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What are the go to passive pickups these days? I need to replace my old J's.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

syntaxfunction posted:

Typo is duly noted silvergoose! I thought I got away without them, dang!

Just thought you'd like to know. Seriously though it was a very apt typo given the subject matter!

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Lace pickups

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

What's the guitar and what's the sound you are looking for? I have Quarter Pounders on my 4 and 5 string Jazz Basses and love 'em but that's personal preference.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

MIA Jazz, just want a good classic sound with thump and growl.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

While this is a Maruszczyk Elwood, this is basically how any Jazz Bass with passive electronics would sound with Quarter Pounders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vAiZKx6tWE

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

NORDSTRAND

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Holy poo poo, do they not make basses anymore? They were always my favorite custom shop like a decade or so ago.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Darkglass just dropped their Alpha Omega Ultra. I got to fiddle with it at NAMM and I've not been so hyped for a pedal release in a long time. Sweetwater had them in stock (sold out already) and it'll get here Wednesday. Stoked :getin:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Hooo wee, it's been a while since I popped in here asking for gear guidance. Hi, thread!

Current gear

We tour and play out more often than we practice so while I loved my Mesa/Boogie Diesel 410 + GK 800RB, it behooved me to move to a combo which also made my band mates happy. I also enjoyed having to not haul a buncha poo poo, I like that the combo is relatively compact (we don't play LARGE stages), and at first I liked the graphic EQ, but now not so much. Main complaint at the moment is that no matter how I set the EQ (and right now it's flat), some notes (mainly lower ones) are plain as day and other, higher notes (basically anything higher than D) are completely lost in the mix. I'm blaming this on going from a 4x10" setup to a 1x15" setup, something I've never really loved, which makes me wonder as I type this what I was doing buying this combo in the first place.

Anyhoo, I've been in the weeds for the last day or so trying to find a combo that I even kinda wanna look at cuz bass combos just suck. A buddy of mine has an Eden DC210XLT Metro combo that I'm gonna go try out and a Guitar Center in Tuscon has this guy here for a decent price. Is ANYONE using bass combos anymore? Do ANY of them not suck? I don't want any of the boutique stuff since we're in bars and fests and nothing stays pretty, whatever I get is gonna get gigged and beer spilled on it.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
You probably want a tiltback with a good tweeter or compression driver. No recommendations offhand (I use Bill Fitzmaurice cab designs and build them in the garage) but the clarity is in the mids and treble.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I use a combo for live gigs. It works for me and sounds good with some pedals but my band wants me to upgrade to something bigger that I probably don’t need just cause most of the other bands have Ampeg 8x10’s and they look cooler. That Eden would almost certainly not suck but a tilt back would be handy for live gigs. SWR combos are pretty cheap around here and seem to sound pretty good. Maybe you would like the GK rb combos since they are probably pretty close in sound to a rb800.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

I've been thinking about swapping out the pickups in my Dingwall. I wonder if Nordstrand would make a replacement for their split P? It's not a typically sized P pickup.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'll always carry a torch for Darkstar pickups, but I have to admit that they're somewhat exotic.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Don't spend actual money on a combo, it's a waste unless you're buying very specialized stuff for upright. Get a cab with neos and a class D head.

Juaguocio posted:

I've been thinking about swapping out the pickups in my Dingwall. I wonder if Nordstrand would make a replacement for their split P? It's not a typically sized P pickup.

I believe Nordstrand is the supplier of Dingwall pickups in the first place, or at least the soapbars, so I'm sure they'd hook you up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Speaking of, I need a pickup for my upright. Any suggestions?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the advice, dudes. I tried out that Eden Metro and yeah, I wasn't really impressed because it all feels like a compromise. I'm gonna keep an eye out for some neo 4x10 cabs, maybe a not-too-expensive head.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of, I need a pickup for my upright. Any suggestions?

The Realist is always what I recommend and what I use. It is one of the most natural sounding upright bass pickups - it is a thin rectangle that sits between the low E foot of the bridge and the top. And if you use the bow, the sound doesn’t get really loud when you use it. That was one of the main reasons I got it back around 2000 because I would use the bow to solo and other pickups I tried made the bow really loud and there wasn’t time to be walking a bass line and then stop, turn down my volume, take a bow solo, turn the volume back up and start walking again.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

rio posted:

The Realist is always what I recommend and what I use. It is one of the most natural sounding upright bass pickups - it is a thin rectangle that sits between the low E foot of the bridge and the top. And if you use the bow, the sound doesn’t get really loud when you use it. That was one of the main reasons I got it back around 2000 because I would use the bow to solo and other pickups I tried made the bow really loud and there wasn’t time to be walking a bass line and then stop, turn down my volume, take a bow solo, turn the volume back up and start walking again.

The Realist is quite good, I know a few local people who use it.

I use a Fishman Full Circle. You need an adjustable bridge to use it, as it is mounted inside one of the adjustment screws. I like its pizz tone, and I don't need to use any sort of special preamp with it (straight into my MarkBass head) but it does get a pretty loud signal when using a bow as mentioned.

My Fishman was already installed on my first upright, so I didn't have to buy it on my own. If I had to purchase one new, I would probably consider the Realist before the Fishman, but I mainly play pizz when amplified and the Fishman works great for my needs.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'll always carry a torch for Darkstar pickups, but I have to admit that they're somewhat exotic.

One day I want to try one of the Novak dark stars but the cost plus the custom routing required scares me off

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I finally took the plunge and bought a Fender Precision, and man I love it. It's a good bit more difficult to play than my previous basses but it just has THE SOUND. Nothing sounds like a P Bass with flat wounds. Picked it up for $300 off craigslist, with a few chips out of the paint and needed a setup. Considering selling my Warwick Corvette to fund a Squier VM Fretless Precision.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
In what way is it more difficult to play?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Pokey Araya posted:

In what way is it more difficult to play?

The neck is bigger than on any other bass, takes a while to get used to

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

String spacing can be wider than a lot of basses too. And he’ll yeah, precision’s rule. What flats are you using? Just ordered some Labella deep nylons.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
It's a bit more difficult to play because I'm used to the shorter 32in scale mostly. Stretching the fingers out for sure.

The flats are whatever the old guy I bought it from had it strung up with, I didn't ask. They're probably the Fender branded or Ernie Ball. They've got dark blue wrappings at the end, no taper after the nut/bridge, and are relatively chunky. They sound great. I have a boner for LaBella stuff so if I ever break one (seems unlikely any time soon) I'll replace with those. If I buy another precision of any sort I'll slap tape wounds on there.

BTW: any other EUB players in here? I've got an Ampeg Baby Bass clone that research says was probably made in Columbia by one of half a dozen guys that make them down there. I've got LaBella 7710N-BB black tape wounds and they're perrrrfect.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 24, 2018

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bet they're Chromes with the dark blue wrapping

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I want a P Bass real bad. My jazz feels like a toothpick. I love it but the ergonomics have never worked for my hands.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

CheesyDog posted:

Bet they're Chromes with the dark blue wrapping

Entirely possible

Kilometers Davis posted:

I want a P Bass real bad. My jazz feels like a toothpick. I love it but the ergonomics have never worked for my hands.

It takes some time to adjust for sure. I don't have particularly massive hands but it's coming along pretty well. I spent a good amount of time playing my EUB which helped, since it's an even longer scale than a Pass (I think 41"). I got inspired to get one from the Scotts Bass Lessons guy, his sound is just killer (he's also stupidly good/fast). Also like any good bassist I love Jamerson/Babbitt/Dunn, and they all used a Precision with flats, so the farther I get from trying to be Victor Wooten the more the PBass calls to me.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 24, 2018

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

What flats are you using? Just ordered some Labella deep nylons.

La Bella nylon tapewounds are so great. My humbucker 5er and PJ 4 have white tapes.

I've got EB Cobalt flats on my G&L L-5500 for now, partly to try something different from the nylons, but I still love those tapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Doomy posted:

One day I want to try one of the Novak dark stars but the cost plus the custom routing required scares me off

I got my darkstars from way back when Fred Hammon was still making them :heysexy: