Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Davincie posted:

you have to start a new campaign as them

Aww gently caress, seriously?

When I went to look, it lets me choose Xiahou Dun as a playable character for a new campaign, but it asks me 'where', so hopefully I can just start at the next milestone of the story with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I do not think the game is irredeemable by any measure, but I would play any other Musou game over it in a heartbeat, and we have had a bunch of Musou games in recent years that have ranged from good to great.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
I was considering this but I'm a fair weather fan for this series and this doesn't look like it holds up right now. I have a few of the spinoffs like Pirate Warriors 3 and Hyrule Warriors but if I'm craving Three Kingdoms specifically is 8XL the quality place to go? Mostly play on PC.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ReWinter posted:

I was considering this but I'm a fair weather fan for this series and this doesn't look like it holds up right now. I have a few of the spinoffs like Pirate Warriors 3 and Hyrule Warriors but if I'm craving Three Kingdoms specifically is 8XL the quality place to go? Mostly play on PC.

Yeah 8XL is fine. Its story campaign isn't as strong as 7's but it refines 7's gameplay and everyone has their own unique weapon now.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Found a pretty funny (interesting?) bug with dynamic shadows and some textures. If your dynamic shadows are set to low and your textures are high (maybe even medium) the shadows will lower the quality of the texture it's passing over. But only where the shadow is, so you get this weird quality split going on.

Observe:

Looking at it now it looks edited, but I swear it's not.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 13, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Morter posted:

Aww gently caress, seriously?

When I went to look, it lets me choose Xiahou Dun as a playable character for a new campaign, but it asks me 'where', so hopefully I can just start at the next milestone of the story with him.

It's okay. Most of the campaigns seem to be fairly short anyways.

Edit: and they usually start further along the story too yeah. I started as Sun Jian and Sun Shiangxiang (always been my favorite character) picks up right after his ends.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
So I may have left the final mission area for the yellow turbans after realizing I was hilariously underleveled.

Now no one is moving and Zhang Jiao's ritual tools aren't registered as destroyed so I have to fight him while he can't flinch. send help

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
DW9 release has inspired me to reinstall DW8XL.

I should also try PW3 again now that I don't have an older amd cpu that had crashing issues with it.

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 14, 2018

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I'm like 5 minutes in and this is the worst Warriors game I've ever played. The voice acting isn't comical, it's just loving awful. Like, I swear it sounds like someone is just standing there reading words off an index card that they've never seen before. Which is probably the case. It's ugly, and worst of all the combat just isn't fluid. I know this is too early for a real review, but jesus loving christ is this bad.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
at this point my only real question is 'why'

or 'how'

TroubledWaters
Aug 9, 2007

Some kind of...
oil trap!
does samurai warriors 4-ii on the pc still have the bug where one of date's attack animations is broken and you might ctd whenever you use it? i think it's c3 or 4

did anyone ever develop a workaround for this?

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
I, for one, am awfully tickled on how DW9 seems to have horses that control and feel like shopping trolleys. Nothing like blasting sparks out of the side of a horse when you brush up against ... Well ... Anything.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Holy poo poo, the game ships with Chinese VA?

It's... not bad. They sound basically like the billions of lovely tropey period dramas popular in China, though I'm not sure whether that's a comment on how decent the VA is or how terrible the period dramas are.

Also from the like 5 minutes of gameplay footage I watched, 'wise' dudes like Cheng Pu employed a more 'scholarly' way of speaking/vocabulary, Sun Jian had a more formal/lofty tone, whereas the rest of his idiot cronies sound more modern-day conversational. All of this was totally lost in the English localization, which is kinda sad. (I am also entirely gauging scholarliness by how well my first-grader level of Chinese can understand them, which is to say 'not at all'.)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

http://i.4cdn.org/v/1518644512345.webm

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Monster Hunter World is looking good.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

If I saw a horse sitting on top of a building I was near I would cower in fear too.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The PS4 version of 9 got an update that enables Framerate mode on non-Pros, but also improves framerate in general.

It also fixes an issue where some officers couldn't finish the game :psyduck:

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
The good news is that with the gamestop membership and a deal on multiple trade-ins, i got $30 for this mess.

Seriously, do not buy this game.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Well, I already traded in my copy so I won't be able to see if this helps on my Pro, but that makes me inclined to maybe get the game again once it is on sale.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

Izzat you, Roach?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
DW9 looks like an obscure chinese f2p mmo from 2005

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Overbite posted:

Age of Lu Bu

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I loving WISH DW9 were as interesting as Age of Wushu, that game ruled.

Royal Guard 4 Lyfe.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Overbite posted:

Dynasty Warriors Online was more fun looking TBH

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Who could have seen this coming? :thunk:

There's some schadenfreude coming from inside the thread.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Chachi posted:

Who could have seen this coming? :thunk:

There's some schadenfreude coming from inside the thread.

I wanted it to be good. Really, I did :smith:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Dynasty Warriors Online was more fun looking TBH

dynasty warrors online at least had the hilarity of two guys using huang zhong's dw5 moveset and arrow flipping back and forth over each other for ten minutes

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Unlucky7 posted:

I wanted it to be good. Really, I did :smith:

I was hoping it would be good as well. I bailed after Jim sterling’s impressions and went with kingdom come deliverance instead and I’m really enjoying it. Even still, I hope to get dw9 someday on sale.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
At this point it's honestly not worth trying to argue at length about why I think the game isn't as super terrible as people like Jim are loudly shouting to the heavens (for example, his views on the combat system are too shallow), but I will readily admit that it is definitely in a sloppy and partially disappointing state.

With that in mind, I would also not recommend rushing to buy DW9 right now. Even so, there are still folks who are having more fun than the negative amount of joy reflected in Sterling's video. Which is why I wouldn't live or die by his impressions. At least K-T has already started to try and patch the performance on PS4, so I hope that they will continue to try to clean things up.

wielder fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 15, 2018

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I don't think 9 is nearly as bad as sterling made it out to be but wow is it hard for me to really be able to praise just about anything in the game without some kind of qualifier.

- For the amount of lag and pop in I get pretty regularly it's a kinda ugly game. I'm playing on a PS4 instead of a pro or anything but still.
-The combat definitely has more potential than 6's, but at the same time the difficulty seems completely borked. Only played on normal so far, but there appear to be two flavors of NPC AI; dumb as rocks, and dumb as rocks but also rolls away from everything all the goddamn time. Enemies also have levels, but I honestly can't tell if enemy levels matter.
- I'm not morally opposed to open world in concept, but I'm not sure DW9 does anything interesting with the idea. Stages feel like a battle or two spread across a way bigger map, with resources to pick up and what I assume are radiant quests to go do random busy work. The problem becomes that rarely if ever do I want to do any of the random busy work instead of just teleporting around to do whatever side missions I can/feel like before doing the final mission before the boss.
-kinda a minor note, but it feels weird as hell to personally be solving what are sometimes really small problems or collecting resources as Cao Cao or Yuan Shao, why are these major leaders running around picking up sticks to make a necklace?

so yeah, for anyone who hasn't already bought it I'm 100% on the "do not pay full retail price for this, wait for a pretty major price drop/ maybe a xtreme legends/empires release" bandwagon

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

I take it you never got to play it then.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm enjoying dw9 so far...

e: 2 hours in though...this game is rooooough.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 15, 2018

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/JoshGG95/status/963769042866597888

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Game looks staggeringly brown, even for Dynasty Warriors, what the heck.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's like the good old days of 2007 again

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Dynasty Warriors 9/The Elder Scrolls 6

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mr. Locke posted:

Dynasty Warriors 9/The Elder Scrolls 6

I was actually just thinking that Oblivion's open world was a lot nicer looking.

If anyone wants goofy Tecmo Koei poo poo attached to a good game Nioh complete is on sale on steam right now.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
So did they fire all the original voice actors and replace them with people off the street? This new game sounds like DW4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They went to a cheaper studio, probably.