Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

SWN
AngryGuy ITT is already in it.... love the candle today. if bottom holds easy +40%~+60% move shortterm. and its typically nicely marginable with low MMR which is freaking win

https://www.finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=SWN

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

ZSAN
sketchy DILUTING stock so beware.

but, bottom forming/in, and could have pretty quick & violent +100% move back to 10 imo

almost entered this on Monday and now feel like I was "left out" of the initial move.... which is kinda silly cause the potential is way bigger. but still watch out for pump and dump potential with this diluting bi0tch >__>;

https://www.finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=ZSAN&ty=c&p=d&b=1

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

CCIH
more sketchy China poo poo. but nice big green candle today... continuation for more pump incoming? or dump? lol gl

https://www.finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=CCIH&ty=c&p=d&b=1

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

lastly,

INTV
I'm in this 1.20 lmao. sketchy but seemed like a nice way to capture some piece of this BTC bounce. goooOoOOOooooo

http://schrts.co/VDdac9

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
Guys I think the altcoin thread is leaking

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

:ughh:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

shrike82 posted:

tides go in, tides go out.
you can't really explain that.

tides go in
my mouth
i eat tide pods
long $PG

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
This thread is now a tide ad.

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
so... I've been watching earnings releases like a hawk over the past few days, is this a total waste of time then?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Morning update:

quote:

Following big gains yesterday, gun stocks are up again in premarket trade amid renewed calls for reform following a mass shooting at a high school in Parkland, Florida. At least 17 people were killed when 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz, a student formerly expelled from the school, opened fire with an AR-15 and multiple magazines. The attack is said to be the 18th school shooting in the U.S. since the start of 2018. Related tickers: AOBC +1.9%, RGR +4%, OLN +2.4%.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
In the case of CTL, FCF guide actually beat expectations. It wasn’t clean and has all kinds of one time things, but it’s enough for now to pay the dividend. And enough for now to squeeze shorts. Most of the time stocks actually do move for a clear reason, you just need to figure it out.

Buying more CTL today

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Morning update:

I'd feel so dirty trading on news like that.

Also, I have been a wallflower to this recent surge. Money will undoubtedly surge into bonds as soon as I buy back in to some positions.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Did you sell out of your BCP Orange Sky? I woke up early to track it and decided to stay in after I missed the initial peak.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Berkshire backed up the truck to buy AAPL.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

Agronox posted:

Berkshire backed up the truck to buy AAPL.

Been holding these AAPL call bags since earnings, definitely getting a little lighter. Thank you Papa Warren.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did you sell out of your BCP Orange Sky? I woke up early to track it and decided to stay in after I missed the initial peak.

Nope, not quite enough to make me happy, staying with it til the Chinese do something interesting

Good Tuesday
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone can be racist, even me.

:heritage:
Don't argue with me about gun control or I'll call you out on your racial heritage!
So Berkshire Hathaway invested some $350 mil in Teva, and added 31 million Apple stocks, at about $5 billion cost. But don't they still have about $100 billion in cash, if that's all they bought? as if these are not numbers higher than anything i will ever have

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Kind of an experiment because it seemed weird to me. I just bought a $36 Jan 2020 put on JNK for 3.45. Yield on JNK is $0.16 a month. So I bought 100 shares of JNK at $36.02. Between now and the put expiration it pays $3.68 per share. How does this move in a way where that's not free money? There has to be some sort of deal with how they roll their portfolio where the payout could come down as well as the AUM I guess?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Kind of an experiment because it seemed weird to me. I just bought a $36 Jan 2020 put on JNK for 3.45. Yield on JNK is $0.16 a month. So I bought 100 shares of JNK at $36.02. Between now and the put expiration it pays $3.68 per share. How does this move in a way where that's not free money? There has to be some sort of deal with how they roll their portfolio where the payout could come down as well as the AUM I guess?

This is just me eyeballing it, I don’t know any idiosyncrasies of JNK or anything.

You’re essentially buying a very cheap call option. You’re out roughly $3,945, protected to any downside, but if JNK stays at 36 you’ve made basically nothing. And that’s assuming distributions don’t go down, which can happen.

2 year Treasurys currently yield roughly 2.2%. If you put that 3,945 there you’d come out ahead by roughly $150, guaranteed.

So to beat Treasurys you either need JNK’s distributions to increase significantly or the price of the ETF to rise by over 1.50. If you take a look at the chart, you’ll see that that is very unlikely, but not impossible.

So chances are you’re putting money out there to earn less than the risk free rate.

It’s “free” money, but not enough.

(Note, my figures are rounded, I’m not taking margin into consideration, which could make a difference, and I may have hosed up anyway, so correct me if I did.)

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
...and I'm out of my first ever options play for 25% gain! Feels good, man.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
Everything is up nice since this morning but a couple of things on my watch list.

$XXII has rose and overwhelming 14% this week. Now it looks to be going down, but i'm still watching.

$AMD looks to have hit its limit at a peak of 12.50, up 5% this week. It is now in a downtrend, opposite of all other tech stocks.

$RAD is struggling to get over 2.09, but has a 1 month high of 2.30. Looks to be stable around 2.00-2.09.

$K is a thing. Got interested from girl scouts selling large amounts of cookies outside of weed stores. Looks to have a very predictable 1 month pattern, if you look at their 3 month graph. Waiting for the next Dip. Had a very successful earnings report.

$Funko is a rather new to the market, but not a new brand. Bought it around 6.50 but sold too soon when it took its second dip to 6.30. Soon after it jumped up to 7.30 and has been pretty steady around 7.00 - 7.30. Would buy if it drops below 7. Has picked up the marvel toy line and makes nerd culture collectible figures (those are very hot right now).

$Hasbro used to be predictable. I am trying to determine where the new ceiling and floor is. It used to bounce up and down $10 weekly, but the recent selloff and rally has thrown things a bit out of wack. It also had a really good earnings report that pushed it above $100. Would buy if it drops below $94.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

joats posted:

$K is a thing. Got interested from girl scouts selling large amounts of cookies outside of weed stores. Looks to have a very predictable 1 month pattern, if you look at their 3 month graph. Waiting for the next Dip. Had a very successful earnings report.

My dad jokes about moving to Colorado and opening up a cereal factory .. at least I think he's joking.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Agronox posted:

This is just me eyeballing it, I don’t know any idiosyncrasies of JNK or anything.

You’re essentially buying a very cheap call option. You’re out roughly $3,945, protected to any downside, but if JNK stays at 36 you’ve made basically nothing. And that’s assuming distributions don’t go down, which can happen.

2 year Treasurys currently yield roughly 2.2%. If you put that 3,945 there you’d come out ahead by roughly $150, guaranteed.

So to beat Treasurys you either need JNK’s distributions to increase significantly or the price of the ETF to rise by over 1.50. If you take a look at the chart, you’ll see that that is very unlikely, but not impossible.

So chances are you’re putting money out there to earn less than the risk free rate.

It’s “free” money, but not enough.

(Note, my figures are rounded, I’m not taking margin into consideration, which could make a difference, and I may have hosed up anyway, so correct me if I did.)

What you're saying makes sense I think. I bought the puts first when I noticed the payout looked like it was comparable to the cost of the put. But it had a huge spread and no volume on the 2020s so I put in a limit of $3.68 and got it for $3.45. So then bought JNK just to complete the trade then wanted to figure out what I was doing. I think when the ETF rolls their portfolio in principle if the NAV is losing value the payout should be going up, which would be good for me, but that's not the case historically except very, very broadly.

I've got money in SJB, am short HYG, and have Jan 2019 puts on JNK so I'm trying to be short junk as many ways as I can think of because I think it's a slam dunk but I don't know how exactly it's going to be reflected in the ETFs, so that got me looking at the option prices. Anyway message heard loud and clear: this is only a good idea with maximum margin.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

this is only a good idea with maximum margin

Thread title contender right there.

(I know I'm taking it out of your more reasonable context lol.)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Girl Scout cookies have multiple suppliers and I’m not sure they’re Kellogg

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Sorry for the naive question but I'm trying to understand options better. Not getting into them, just curious. Say you're on your brokerage site about to buy a call- I'm on etrade and it only shows one box for quantity on the order ticket. A quantity of one stands for a single contract to exercise an option for 100 shares, correct? Experimenting with the ticket filler the options premiums get crazy expensive if you're going to order contracts in bulk.

E: Still reading, corrected something

EBB fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 15, 2018

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Josh Lyman posted:

Girl Scout cookies have multiple suppliers and I’m not sure they’re Kellogg

Kellogg makes keebler thin mints and that's all I care about.

Life hack, keep thin mints in the freezer to enhance the experience.

https://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/other-sites.html

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

joats posted:

Kellogg makes keebler thin mints and that's all I care about.

Life hack, keep thin mints in the freezer to enhance the experience.

https://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/other-sites.html

Didn't Dollar General sell actual Girl Scout cookies under a different name for half the cost all year long or something?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

What do you guys think about ABT? Got kinda beat up with the downturn and because Amazon said they were gonna get into the medical market. I've been thinking about buying it and long holding.

So far so good for this one. I'd tell you what I bought in at, but apparently my phone is having issues pulling up my brokerage account (I know it was $57 something, but that's it).

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
got into $SHAK at the end of the session. Am I a genius or moron?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Sorry for the naive question but I'm trying to understand options better. Not getting into them, just curious. Say you're on your brokerage site about to buy a call- I'm on etrade and it only shows one box for quantity on the order ticket. A quantity of one stands for a single contract to exercise an option for 100 shares, correct? Experimenting with the ticket filler the options premiums get crazy expensive if you're going to order contracts in bulk.

E: Still reading, corrected something
Yes, but remember than 1 contract means you’re paying 100x the premium to correspond to those 100 shares. So am at the money call 1 month out is $48, but the actual cont act will cost you $4,800 plus $5 or whatever for commission.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

proctorbot posted:

got into $SHAK at the end of the session. Am I a genius or moron?
It’s down 5% after hours so

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Solice Kirsk posted:

Didn't Dollar General sell actual Girl Scout cookies under a different name for half the cost all year long or something?

When the whole nation is getting second hand munchies, all snack producers are going to make bank.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
lol

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nice.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

drat.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

:staredog:

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!

Josh Lyman posted:

It’s down 5% after hours so

profit takers getting out, gonna blow up tomorrow I can feel it

becoming a stocks guy, saying stocks guy stuff

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Should of bought 10000 shares.

proctorbot posted:

Just remember, anytime you think you're talking over your head just say "I don't like it at that price."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

proctorbot posted:

hello fellow stocks guy i am a stocks guy too

Went long $NLNK today.