Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

take the moon

by sebmojo
are we all just gonna hang out and watch curling?

e: i have no problem with this, to clarify

take the moon fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster

spectres of autism posted:

are we all just gonna hang out and watch curling?

yes plz

edit: watching figure skating and I thought I heard "Duel of the Fates".

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 15, 2018

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
my favorite event in the sexlympics is toe curling

Thanks to HotSoapyBeard for the sig image!

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Today I am quite impressed with the results of this "modify your picture to look other-gender" thing (unfortunately requires a Facebook login and a face-front picture to try it). I was expecting the usual lovely sort of thing where it either doesn't look like the original picture, or just looks like the original picture with makeup on, but it did a great job on my picture of looking female while still being totally recognizable as based on the same picture - same expression, same hair-style but longer, same eyebrows, same face-lines, same shadows, but I wouldn't question it was a picture of a woman if I saw it with no context.

I also tried having it change a picture of my wife to female to see what sort of nonsense it would overdo, and it pretty much did nothing at all to her picture (just the standard vaseline-lens filter and a change of scale), which I think is a sign of it being unusually good at the task. I haven't tried out its female-to-male algorithm yet though.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Ok so I looked at Osprey bags and they're really nice, but the only one I found in my price range was a duffel with straps:

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/transporter-65-TRNSPTR65_676.html

65 L is awesome but I'm concerned a duffel will be too awkward to ride with. Alternately there's a ski-bag from REI that makes some lofty claims about balancing:

https://www.rei.com/product/111161/rei-co-op-flash-45-pack-mens

But it only holds 45 L. The reviews are out of this world though, and I do know a guy who works for REI so maybe he can get me a deal...

Who would have though buyin ga backpack that's not a complete POS would be so complicated and expensive?

Sig by Heather Papps

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Who would have though buying a backpack that's not a complete POS would be so complicated and expensive?
The xkcd guy.
Other things it's surprisingly difficult to buy a good one of: a spatula. A kitchen knife. A padlock.

take the moon

by sebmojo
man if i was sweeping id probably mess up and hit the rocks all over the place

thats why theyre olympians

BoldFrankensteinMir

Can robots beat us as Curling yet? Like with Zamboni-rhumbas or something?

Sig by Heather Papps

take the moon

by sebmojo
i dont know. these curlers dont look like theyre ruled by their "human emotions" though

e: canada running show so far, from what i understand

e2: oh no :(

e3: one canada guy looks like jackie earle haley

take the moon fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 15, 2018

Manifisto

Ok so I looked at Osprey bags and they're really nice, but the only one I found in my price range was a duffel with straps:

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/transporter-65-TRNSPTR65_676.html

65 L is awesome but I'm concerned a duffel will be too awkward to ride with. Alternately there's a ski-bag from REI that makes some lofty claims about balancing:

https://www.rei.com/product/111161/rei-co-op-flash-45-pack-mens

But it only holds 45 L. The reviews are out of this world though, and I do know a guy who works for REI so maybe he can get me a deal...

Who would have though buyin ga backpack that's not a complete POS would be so complicated and expensive?

I am a big proponent of packing light, whether it is for outdoors or travel. less and lighter clothes and equipment require a lighter pack (lighter material/less framing), so you're sort of doubling your weight and comfort savings. you probably have a pretty decent sense of what you need, but it can't hurt to take a systematic look at how much you really need to get by (if you're in a city you can always buy stuff like underwear or toothpaste or whatever if you run out). don't assume that more liters is "better."

good zippers are important, I agree, but in terms of materials in general a lighter weight nylon isn't too much of a problem if you just treat it gently. don't throw it around, don't scrape it on sharp surfaces, don't overstuff it. the added pleasure you get from not having to carry around a ton of junk will more than make up for the additional care required or occasional need for repair or replacement.

I'm not sure this is really suitable for your current needs, but if you have time, gumption, and access to a sewing machine, I was quite pleased at the end results of this guy's backpack kits:

http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Backpack-Kit/index.htm

one awesome thing? since you're sewing it, you size it exactly to your frame. another: the drat thing weighs less than a pound. yet another: no zippers to break! unless you buy an optional kit to sew on a back compartment. And the price, at $83 bucks, is quite reasonable . . until you factor in your time, then it's actually kinda expensive.

on a different tack, when it comes to international (mostly non-adventure / non-hiking) travel, I am pretty happy with this dude:

https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-weekender-convertible/143101?productid=1370034

It is not "minimalist" but it's reasonably stripped down, reasonably light, feels quite sturdy, the zippers are good, there are a generous number of compartments, and (for my frame) it's very comfortable when carried in backpack mode. I wouldn't use it for outdoor/overnight camping however, it's just not designed for that mode of usage. 54 liters, fyi.

ty nesamdoom!

problematic hug

welcome hello and slash or chat im here glad to have you please take a seat you'll fit right in follow me up to the office and we'll finish your release you'd better do as they say when in Rome as you were

BoldFrankensteinMir

Hello problematic hug. We are mourning the loss of spinny images with a glut of winter sports and backpackery. Make yourself at home.

Sig by Heather Papps

take the moon

by sebmojo
curling got Tense. im tired but am staying up to see how it ends.

i hate these norwegians because im canadian nationalist pride

e: actually i feel bad for the norwegian skip

e2: that was cool. night byob

take the moon fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 15, 2018

alnilam

BFM what is your purpose for bag? It sounds like, travelling to another town/city, and then also for biking around within that city? Will you have a place to store most of your stuff while you ride around town, or do you have to keep it all with you all to time?
What do you want it to be useful for in the future? Will you ever be backpacking (hiking+camping) with it?

twoday

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
It's the afternoon but I can't stop thinking about pancakes

I want to make some

I don't have any milk

DISCLAIMER: THIS POST DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE
The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained within this post are for informational purposes only. No material in this post is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in this post or the replies to this post.

alnilam

get some milk

alnilam

or you could mix talcum powder into water to make it white

twoday

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I have some yogurt, I could water it down

DISCLAIMER: THIS POST DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE
The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained within this post are for informational purposes only. No material in this post is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in this post or the replies to this post.

Jaded Burnout

Or get some water and yoghurt it up

wearing a lampshade

Olive! posted:

my favorite event in the sexlympics is toe curling

lol

wearing a lampshade

twoday posted:

I have some yogurt, I could water it down

Lots of yoghurt pancake recipes online, it's definitely a thing. I think they end up a lot richer than reg pancakes, so I wish you Godspeed and good luck.

City of Glompton

Jaded Burnout posted:

May I suggest a browser plugin or user sheet?

It could be a good place to test some of these ideas without having to enshrine them on the forums, and we could pick the favourite ones to get moved to byob.css proper.

The user sheet would be more portable (i.e. work on more browsers) but a chrome plugin with a bit of extra work would allow the stalwart to keep the rotating images if they really want them without it being default for everyone, as well as people being able to generally turn them on and off individually while testing them out.

I'm happy to do the legwork if this is something you might want.

that is a very sweet offer you're a good people jaded burnout. there was a tampermonkey script "jett's script", I can't seem to find it but it was nice to be able to select options.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Jaded Burnout

I guess I need to create a new github account not connected to The Real Me (if there is such a thing).

Punk da Bundo

by FactsAreUseless
good morning to the good people of the fine forums, have a good DAY

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Jaded Burnout

Pelosi de Bundi posted:

good morning to the good people of the fine forums, have a good DAY

I had quite a bad day but it is over now.

BoldFrankensteinMir

alnilam posted:

BFM what is your purpose for bag? It sounds like, travelling to another town/city, and then also for biking around within that city? Will you have a place to store most of your stuff while you ride around town, or do you have to keep it all with you all to time?
What do you want it to be useful for in the future? Will you ever be backpacking (hiking+camping) with it?

I will have a place to stash my stuff once I get there, and will only need the bag for short trips around the city (and possibly a few weekend trips to neighboring cities, but this will be rarer). In the future I will need it to leave said city again as well as occaisionally carry laundry to and from the laundromat. I would also like to use it for grocery shopping, my old aluminum-framed camping backpack was essential for that. I don't hike much and when I do they're just single-day excursions, I can count the number of times I've gone real camping on one hand.

Sig by Heather Papps

vanisher

Hey if things arent spinning we should update the rules thread

Truthfully I phone post a lot so its not a big change.

Punk da Bundo

by FactsAreUseless

Jaded Burnout posted:

I had quite a bad day but it is over now.

i'm sorry you had a bad day, but now you have an opportunity to have a Good Day tomorrow

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Pelosi de Bundi posted:

i'm sorry you had a bad day, but now you have an opportunity to have a Good Day tomorrow

vanisher

There should be a cookie called a Good Day that I could give to my friends

Jaded Burnout

I appreciate the sentiment.

Koishi Komeiji

vanisher posted:

There should be a cookie called a Good Day that I could give to my friends

There is!

vanisher

Nice

Whoa Amazon makes a cookie

Caganer

-

Koishi Komeiji

I'm doing pretty good, a little congested but overall pretty good. Why do the Friends© keep their beer on top of the fridge :confused:

Jaded Burnout

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I'm doing pretty good, a little congested but overall pretty good. Why do the Friends© keep their beer on top of the fridge :confused:

So Chandler can't reach it.

Caganer

Koishi Komeiji posted:

you can't do product placement inside the fridge

-

BoldFrankensteinMir

Do I lose my IK powers today or tomorrow?

Sig by Heather Papps

FluffieDuckie

Do I lose my IK powers today or tomorrow?

today

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take the moon

by sebmojo
quick probe me while you can i wont let your power go to waste

e: only for like a day though