Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Flint Ironstag posted:

Yammie Noob is the most well documented case of this. I ride many of the same roads he shows in his vids, and have yet to put myself in the hospital on them. I have even seen yellow Porsches and somehow managed to not crash into them.

Right, but even Rossi crashes, and you haven't, which suggests that you're just not as good a rider as Yammienoob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Right, but even Rossi crashes, and you haven't, which suggests that you're just not as good a rider as Yammienoob.

The worst part about the whole Yammienoob/Street Rossi thing is that he didn't get his nuts crushed in that wreck, so he's still in the gene pool

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah but his personality is the best birth control there is.

Razzled posted:

looking back, there's really no argument you can present to me that would make me go back to a 250/300.

I'd hate on you, but you made the best new rider choice in getting a DRZSM. My eternal regret is not following my heart after taking the test on the honda SM.

Also, come join the 125 club. Plenty of fun lawbreaking can be had sub 1000.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i don't dislike anything about the grom besides the price tag

i mean poo poo, a brand new ruckus is like 800 dollars cheaper

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
They are like 2k now, man. And the ruck is a hot mess reserved for punchable pricks with too much money and ego.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
I never thought I would go down in size for a bike either but I just went backwards this summer. I bought a 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650. It has pizza cutter tires, 5 gears, a pearl white tank and I only ride it on the highway if it is an absolute necessity as taking it up to 80 miles an hour is not my most favorite thing. However, cruising the backroads between 35mph and 60mph is some of the most fun I've had on a bike. I love the thing and it really makes me want to buy more old little bikes, including a Ninja 250 because of how highly recommended they are here. Plus it's not like I'm going to max the thing out around town anyway so why not?

E: I guess I should say the 650 is not my only bike so if I want/need to take a longer highway slogging trip then I have another, better equipped, option.

bigbillystyle fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 15, 2018

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Touche', sir. Touche'. I shall endeavor to find a Porsche to slam into next time I am out.

But, thinking back on it, I have had 4 crashes on the street, all minor, and due to being in a place that inspired overconfidence, and thus, inattentiveness. Track crashes? We won't speak about those.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I've never crashed my own bike in 6 years of ownership. *knocks on wood*

I almost tipped over once when I kicked it into gear by mistake but managed to catch it. And gave myself a nutshot when I did the same thing while holding the front brake.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Went to get my brakes and chain done, halfway through the mechanic tells me the rear wheel bearings are knackered, and showed me by just grabbing the wheel and rocking it left and right in the swingarm.

I was going to rant about how every time I go there they find something else wrong to punch me in the wallet with, but after riding home I'm ecstatic because it feels like I got a new bike. I hadn't realised how unstable it had gotten (I had noticed that I've been creeping through corners and constantly mushing the clutch in roundabouts lately, but I thought that was just me getting the jitters for no reason), now I'm back to breezing through turns with the power on and just generally feeling super planted on the road. :buddy:

Also the surging I was complaining about last month seems to be completely gone, so I guess it was a compound effect from a loose chain with seized links and the rear wheel wobbling all over the place. Pretty scary to think about.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Went to get my brakes and chain done, halfway through the mechanic tells me the rear wheel bearings are knackered, and showed me by just grabbing the wheel and rocking it left and right in the swingarm.

I was going to rant about how every time I go there they find something else wrong to punch me in the wallet with, but after riding home I'm ecstatic because it feels like I got a new bike. I hadn't realised how unstable it had gotten (I had noticed that I've been creeping through corners and constantly mushing the clutch in roundabouts lately, but I thought that was just me getting the jitters for no reason), now I'm back to breezing through turns with the power on and just generally feeling super planted on the road. :buddy:

Also the surging I was complaining about last month seems to be completely gone, so I guess it was a compound effect from a loose chain with seized links and the rear wheel wobbling all over the place. Pretty scary to think about.

Have you considered doing your own maintenance? Brakes are super easy and don't require special tools. Chain, you need a couple. Wheel bearings are also really easy.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Probably belongs in here rather than the pictures thread.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-bike-thief-torches-vintage-1210467

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It shouldn't be that hard to track down a bike gang that posts to IG, unless they're pretty good at only posting from free wifi and things like that. I'm going to guess their op sec is not the highest

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
...somehow I get the feeling it's unlikely the owner ever even saw the Instagram post.

builds character posted:

Have you considered doing your own maintenance? Brakes are super easy and don't require special tools. Chain, you need a couple. Wheel bearings are also really easy.

I do what I can when I can. Brakes I was happy doing when I had a garage, but cleaning the pots properly so the seals don't get hosed is kinda fiddly and not something I can do when it's freezing outside.

Wheel bearings I'm confident I could have done myself easily, but I wasn't even able to recognise that they needed replacing, so :shrug:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 15, 2018

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

...somehow I get the feeling it's unlikely the owner ever even saw the Instagram post.

I do what I can when I can. Brakes I was happy doing when I had a garage, but cleaning the pots properly so the seals don't get hosed is kinda fiddly and not something I can do when it's freezing outside.

Wheel bearings I'm confident I could have done myself easily, but I wasn't even able to recognise that they needed replacing, so :shrug:

Spray tons of brake clean and wear gloves? But fair enough.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

It shouldn't be that hard to track down a bike gang that posts to IG, unless they're pretty good at only posting from free wifi and things like that. I'm going to guess their op sec is not the highest

It's not good. They've made a number of complete cockups and have all been doxxed by very low-tech methods, and despite literally having their full names and addresses for over a month Avon and Somerset Police haven't touched them. Two were nicked for unrelated offences and released on bail without even having their phones examined (they were boasting about it on IG, under their own accounts, all of which have also been tracked).

The working assumption is that, like the Met, A&S have completely deprioritised all non-aggravated vehicle crime (the Met have gone further and pretty much won't do anything other than issue a crime number for any non-aggravated crime unless they pretty much catch them in the act), because their budgets are only set by crimes against the person rather than property crime.

This is absolutely fine and won't lead to steadily-escalating vigilante action that eventually leads to a completely innocent person being beaten half to death by the Outlaws like happened in the early 90s when the Tories last decided that cutting police budgets in the middle of a recession was a great idea.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's not good. They've made a number of complete cockups and have all been doxxed by very low-tech methods, and despite literally having their full names and addresses for over a month Avon and Somerset Police haven't touched them. Two were nicked for unrelated offences and released on bail without even having their phones examined (they were boasting about it on IG, under their own accounts, all of which have also been tracked).

The working assumption is that, like the Met, A&S have completely deprioritised all non-aggravated vehicle crime (the Met have gone further and pretty much won't do anything other than issue a crime number for any non-aggravated crime unless they pretty much catch them in the act), because their budgets are only set by crimes against the person rather than property crime.

This is absolutely fine and won't lead to steadily-escalating vigilante action that eventually leads to a completely innocent person being beaten half to death by the Outlaws like happened in the early 90s when the Tories last decided that cutting police budgets in the middle of a recession was a great idea.

Sorry, did you say new york city?

When my DRZ was stolen the cops said "you have insurance?" and I said "yes" and they said "OK." And gave me a police report which I had to call a ton of times to get them to actually file at the precinct. It was great. Literal security footage of the crime from a well-placed camera that they just never looked at.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sounds like someone cares more about their little toy than stopping terror :smug:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Sounds like it's time for a surprise vigilante visit.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Nah bruv that's violence against a person and we can't be having that. The police would swiftly stop you and protect the chavs.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Sounds like someone cares more about their little toy than stopping terror :smug:

Maybe a terrorist stole it. :colbert:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Razzled posted:

looking back, there's really no argument you can present to me that would make me go back to a 250/300.
start there sure, but i sure as hell don't ride so that i can do something as pedestrian as obey the speed limits
It may not be a strong argument for buying one, but last fall I rode my favorite twisty road on a friend's Ninja 300 for the first time. Smallest bike I'd done that road on. It was a totally amazing eye opening experience. Absolutely loved it. Everything that bike does it just so easy and comfortable and forgiving, it's really hard to scare yourself on it. The ergonomics are poo poo though, even for a small person like me, and I would hate to ride it every day on the street.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

Maybe a terrorist stole it. :colbert:

Terrorists have terrible taste in motorbikes:

(locally-modified Honda CG seized in Helmand Province from two Taliban fighters who abandoned it at a petrol station and ran when a Land Rover happened to come along)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there’s “confiscated terrorist items” museum near you or what?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there’s “confiscated terrorist items” museum near you or what?

The Imperial War Museum (and it's cool when even the name is a relic of an earlier age), where that bike is exhibited in the "This is what passes for war nowadays" section, is in fact a few miles away from me, yes.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Do they have a lovely pickup truck with an S-8 rocket pod on a gimbal in the back? If not why not :colbert:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Do they have a lovely pickup truck with an S-8 rocket pod on a gimbal in the back? If not why not :colbert:

No, because they needed the space for this:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I love how some jugheads were so attached to that name it necessitated a sequel when the first one was presumably shot out from under them.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I love how some jugheads were so attached to that name it necessitated a sequel when the first one was presumably shot out from under them.

Willie Pusher I pushed its willie so far and so deep, but ultimately got stuck in some French foxhole and was never heard from again.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Loved this bit:

quote:

A number of members of the gang have been caught and prosecuted by the police in the last year - after officers set up a special investigation, named Operation Buell, to monitor the gang’s online presence.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So did the police operation run out of budget after they arrested the first two guys?

Do they all run iOS in the office just to be different?

I'll bet they have a lot of leaks.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

So did the police operation run out of budget after they arrested the first two guys?

You joke but this is probably literally true.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Really glad I wasn't going a little bit faster on the freeway, I had my visor open for the first half of my time on the freeway and I'm not sure when exactly this occurred.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Probably while parked, seeing as it's spread out more or less symmetrically instead of being blown backwards.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If the poo poo hit the screen at speed it'd be a racing stripe.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Ahhh good to know, it was only parked outside for 10 mins while I was in the store, goddamn birds.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

First real ride in weeks since I replaced brakes, rotors, air filter, oil, chain, and sprockets.

Almost got merged into by a moron coming across 2 lanes in a new base impreza hatch with a giant STI wing on back.
I was already annoyed, but then he did the dumbshit SMIDSY sorry hand wave, this one:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Looking so forward to finally riding on clear asphalt again. Winter riding with studs on ice is fun and all that, but I just wanna lean with guaranteed grip..

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
No idea why this popped up on my suggested videos, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK_-hja5a2U

I'm not just being :corsair: here, am I? Modern racing just isn't this mental, is it?

e: context for you whippersnappers, that Ducati was considered completely untouchable and the ancient (and seriously down on ccs) RVF was supposed to be put out to pasture, and the similarly-cc-deficient R7 was a widowmaker that only Haga (and an entire crash-helmet full of speed) was able to tame. The massive differences in power, power delivery, and handling are really obvious out of the slower sections and it's ridiculous that it managed to be as close as it was.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 4, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's pretty tame tbh, watch every motogp race from 2015-onwards and get back to me.

Modern SBK sucks balls though there's no denying that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

That's pretty tame tbh, watch every motogp race from 2015-onwards and get back to me.

Modern SBK sucks balls though there's no denying that.

I'm annoyed that the late 90s British and Dutch WSB rounds don't appear to be anywhere on Youtube, because they were genuinely insane, with BSB wildcard entries kamikaze-ing into podium positions - come to think of it Garry McCoy in the last days of two-stroke MotoGP was similarly terrifying.

(Also look at the on-bike footage from those Hondas, can you imagine modern HRC letting the dash vibrate that much?)