Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
Let's all just stay calm here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

MizPiz posted:

Just read the wikipedia summary of Black Panther. Is it just me or does it seem like the villains in these movies are becoming more morally justified? I could honestly see Killmonger, Vulture, and even that guy from Civil War being the hero if they just made them the protagonist.

Did I read it right that the main character prevents a 3rd World global revolution and sets up an "outreach center" in Oakland instead?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The Kingfish posted:

Did I read it right that the main character prevents a 3rd World global revolution and sets up an "outreach center" in Oakland instead?

I don't loving care prepare to die

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Black Panthe r is a woke brand and I will be GOD DAMMED if some dog thinks he can tell me what to post.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

aint no rules that say a dog cant be a posting cop

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

Gas this loving thread immediately

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

MizPiz posted:

Has anyone tried to connect T'Challa to Mohammed bin Salman? Seems like it should easy enough to do even for the hacks that write those sort of articles.

I've been doing this for months now, but it just makes me sound like a loving crazy person who Knows the Truth about Syria.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
All dogs are comrades, but they eat out of the trash can all the time.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Halloween Jack posted:

All dogs are comrades, but they eat out of the trash can all the time.

Aren't we all?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

multijoe posted:

MoS Superman is practically the least Ubermensch the character has ever been, he's genuinely a humble normal dude who gets really uncomfortable when people start treating him as a messiah and just wants to help people and do investigative journalism. People really project with these films.
counterpoint, they weren't even remotely subtle about the intended religious symbolism

when the Kryptonian ship explodes and he's floating in space we get this shot

(thanks Google)

there's also the earlier shot where he's in a church with halo lighting and a stained glass window behind him

and CNN reported on Warner Bros actively inviting preachers to early screenings and giving them a canned speech about it:

quote:

The movie studio even asked a theologian to provide sermon notes for pastors who want to preach about Superman on Sunday. Titled “Jesus: The Original Superhero,” the notes run nine pages.

Superman himself may not want to be treated like a messiah but they did their damndest to sell him as one

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Shear Modulus posted:

aint no rules that say a dog cant be a posting cop

Disney owns Marvel so i hope air-bud gets put into a super hero movie

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

are there any superman comics or movies or whatever where they talk about cults to the living god who seems to be openly walking around the earth

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

counterpoint, they weren't even remotely subtle about the intended religious symbolism

when the Kryptonian ship explodes and he's floating in space we get this shot

(thanks Google)

there's also the earlier shot where he's in a church with halo lighting and a stained glass window behind him

and CNN reported on Warner Bros actively inviting preachers to early screenings and giving them a canned speech about it:

Superman himself may not want to be treated like a messiah but they did their damndest to sell him as one

I didn't read this but you're a piece of poo poo

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Laphroaig posted:

Disney owns Marvel so i hope air-bud gets put into a super hero movie

didnt they already have one two or three years ago where it was a superhero team and one of the superteam members was a CGI squirrel

i tginki saw an ad for it on a bus stop

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shear Modulus posted:

didnt they already have one two or three years ago where it was a superhero team and one of the superteam members was a CGI squirrel

i tginki saw an ad for it on a bus stop

it's a talking racoon played by Bradley Cooper

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

whats even the point of getting bradley cooper if you just use his voice and not his body

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

presenting silver linings playbook 2, featuring jennifer lawrence and bradley cooper as the voices of their characters' from the last movie's dog and cat

nah
Mar 16, 2009

comic books are fascist
comic book readers are fascist
this thread is fascist

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

MizPiz posted:

Have you not seen a Zack Snyder movie?

Also he's not a dudebro frat boy objectivist, he's a closeted gay-volcel objectivist.

Snyder has like 9 kids, dude absolutely loves to gently caress

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

nah posted:

comic books are fascist
comic book readers are fascist
this thread is fascist

three true facts

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Snyder has like 9 kids, dude absolutely loves to gently caress

So he's a closeted gay-volcel objectivist who's also quiverfull

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i hope black panther marks the apex of "the great awokening" phase of pop culture, but it almost certainly won't

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

get that OUT of my face posted:

i hope black panther marks the apex of "the great awokening" phase of pop culture, but it almost certainly won't

We haven't even hit the median yet, silly

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They've played Superman as a Jesus figure for years, with his humility and discomfort with people viewing him as such being an important thing. 'I don't want to be a Jesus, but people seem to really want a Jesus...'

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
There's a comic from a while back where someone asks him why he doesn't vote or support any politicians as Superman, because then everyone would support them

And his answer is like yeah they'd do that, because Superman said to, and then I would be a god king and I don't want that I want them all to make their own choices

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
that seems like a lazy argument from the writer since people still have the choice to NOT vote for who he likes

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

MizPiz posted:

Have you not seen a Zack Snyder movie?

Also he's not a dudebro frat boy objectivist, he's a closeted gay-volcel objectivist.

Did he make the Watchmen movie perchance? My favorite part of Watchmen was how utterly banal the soundtrack was. Montage of how superheroes changed world history? The Times They Are a-Changin'. Funeral? The Sound of Silence. Two characters finally have sex after the sexual tension between them has become unbearable? Hallelujah. Heroes walking to the bad guy's ice castle for their final confrontation? All Along the Watchtower. You know, so that even the slowest in the audience would know what's happening and what to feel

e: and giving superheroes actual superpowers (superstrength if nothing else) kinda undermined the premise

hackbunny has issued a correction as of 13:29 on Feb 15, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC, Zack Snyder shocked CD by turning out to be fit, attractive, and happily married with several children. (Having to have handed off Justice League to Joss Whedon, hoo boy there's a woke brand that's aged poorly, to mourn his daughter)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

get that OUT of my face posted:

it's going to keep going because 'finally minorities are in some mediocre nerd films' is the closest thing to a political victory the racially-conscious left are going to get for the next couple of years so people will keep glomming onto that since escapism is appealing when the world around you you have no real power over is loving terrifying and depressing to think about for too long

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Relin posted:

that seems like a lazy argument from the writer since people still have the choice to NOT vote for who he likes

But would they is the question, and the answer is probably not, or at least not enough of them for it to not be real weird

The list of people who don't love Superman and think he rules is real short, because Superman exists to help people just because he can

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I know this thread is primarily for making fun of brands, but these people seem legitimately cool

quote:

On Friday afternoon, down came “Rise & Resist” and up went “Resist White Supremacy.” About an hour later, a message from a woman named Rebecca, whose Facebook profile was an image that read “TEAM USA,” popped up in Cox Farm’s Facebook Messenger inbox: “Whatever your own personal agendas are none us want to see them on display at a place we once enjoyed going to for tradition. It’s TRULY disappointing.”

The vitriol only intensified in the hours that followed, which baffled Aaron. Who, other than a white supremacist, would be offended by a message condemning white supremacy? She also understood, though, that this is America in 2018, a time of such fierce division that even voicing opposition to the ugliest beliefs could be twisted or taken out of context.

“Our little roadside signs have power,” Aaron, 36, began, before explaining why they sometimes shared their opinions. “Cox Farms is a small family-owned and family-operated business. The five of us are not just business-owners; we are human beings, members of the community, and concerned citizens of this country. We are also a family, and our shared values and principles are central to our business.”

“Resist white supremacy is not an inclusive message,” complained Patty Weston Meizlish, who lives in Louisa, Va. “When you single out a group of people you exclude them. This is a sad message.”

“Yes, generally speaking, we are comfortable excluding white supremacists,” responded Aaron, who studied psychology at Smith College in Massachusetts. “If you know some who would be interested in dialoguing with us, please have them contact us!”

Shannon Lee Sibley, from nearby Ashburn, contended that she also supported fighting hate groups but wouldn’t spend her money at the farm because it would never post a “Blue Lives matter” sign in support of police.

“You’re right, Shannon — we do not support ‘Blue Lives Matter.’ . . . police lives are already and by default valued in our society,” she wrote. “Black lives are not, so we believe that a declaration that Black Lives Matter is necessary and important.”
They're good people, Shannon.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.8dd0c270cec8

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

steinrokkan posted:

It was the first film antagonist I've ever felt sorry for.

you should watch true lies and air force one

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
https://twitter.com/BRANDONWARDELL/status/964020340664950784

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

hackbunny posted:

Did he make the Watchmen movie perchance? My favorite part of Watchmen was how utterly banal the soundtrack was. Montage of how superheroes changed world history? The Times They Are a-Changin'. Funeral? The Sound of Silence. Two characters finally have sex after the sexual tension between them has become unbearable? Hallelujah. Heroes walking to the bad guy's ice castle for their final confrontation? All Along the Watchtower. You know, so that even the slowest in the audience would know what's happening and what to feel

e: and giving superheroes actual superpowers (superstrength if nothing else) kinda undermined the premise

Nah, the best part is that Snyder gave Dr. Manhattan a 12 inch cock for no reason.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MizPiz posted:

Nah, the best part is that Snyder gave Dr. Manhattan a 12 inch cock for no reason.

In the comic he has a micro dong

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Halloween Jack posted:

Captain America: Civil War: The villain is trying to stop said alcoholic's paramilitary squad from waging war whenever and wherever they feel like it.

Iron Man was the one who wanted to be under the control of the UN, Captain America was the one who wanted to act however he saw fit

"Superheros is fascist" is hardly a spicey take, you don't need to go full CineD about it and just make stuff up

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

In the comic he has a micro dong

seemed pretty normal sized to me

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Guy Goodbody posted:

seemed pretty normal sized to me

Missed opportunity to do the Elliot Rogers joke imo