Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

End 5, skip misses a draw to the button with backing for 1 and gives USA a steal of 2. Another 3 point swing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Italy melting down so hard.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

literal inches

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Canada vs Norway was so close. There's some fierce competition this year, for sure.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Homan error and miskews man I can't believe it!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

free curling in canada-sweden

and gb-china

good lord this is gonna be some tournament

e: homan is 0-2 did anyone see this coming

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 15, 2018

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Didn't think Homan would lose 2 games all tournament.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
As someone from Manitoba, I must point out that the Jennifer Jones rink is and remains the only women's team to be undefeated at the Olympics. (I'm guessing that Sweden or Japan don't run the table).

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

There is an outdoor bonspiel a block away from my place on Saturday and they are offering introductory lessons, might head over and throw a rock or two.

They put down two sheets of about half length so it will be a little off but what the hey. Free curling.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

https://streamable.com/cj5yp

e: welp Shuster throws his draw through the house and the US gives up 4 to Sweden in the opening end.

gret fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 16, 2018

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
So many of the NBC announcing group are insipid, but I love listening to Kevin Martin's analysis.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

I gotta say, I think I actually really liked the pace of mixed doubles. After watching a few days of that, regular curling seems really slow and defense-oriented

Edit: drat Sweden with the masterful roll to make a blank difficult, and it worked like a charm. US in tough

MNIMWA fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 16, 2018

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah can't really even blame Shuster for that last throw.

a very nice paella
Oct 12, 2012

Kapitalism
Sweden looking good, keep it up

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Well hey at least Sweden only scored 2 that end.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

god drat what is going on with Homan?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Lots of trouble with her draw weights. If the Danes (and every other team) learn anything from that fifth end, it's to not let her hit. Which they should already know because that's her team's real strength. Her first rock in six was also way off while Denmark (who has a young front end and a skip who hasn't been on an international podium in a decade) seems to be reading the ice just fine.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

How is Homan 0-2 and in extra ends with Denmark?!?!?

I felt like they had turned a corner halfway through the Sweden game even though they lost. Rachel started making some shots, reading the ice better, anticipating what the team would be able to make, and Joanne upped her game. I missed most of the Denmark game (because I was curling myself), but drat, if they don't turn this around that's pretty much goodbye to the playoffs.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
This Can/Den match is really tense. Last stone and it's tied :ohdear:

And she hosed it! Holy poo poo Denmark wins!

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Wow. Rachel. drat.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Unbelievable. What the hell is wrong with homan.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
She's got the yips

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Get your forks out, Homan's done.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Time for Ice Queen Jennifer Jones to take over.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

For anyone who missed it, there was some controversy regarding a burnt rock: https://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/and-canada-winless-women-olympic-curling.html

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

MNIMWA posted:

For anyone who missed it, there was some controversy regarding a burnt rock: https://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/and-canada-winless-women-olympic-curling.html

Love this, Homan embracing villain status, everyone else getting more reasons to hate her rink.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

If we're free, tell me why
I can't look in my brother's eye
Last olympics they went without a loss, this year canada's women's team is going to go without a win.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Popero posted:

Love this, Homan embracing villain status, everyone else getting more reasons to hate her rink.

It’s a perfect decision. If I know my movies correctly, now that they’re the villain they have to make it to the final, but starting out winless they can also be the plucky underdog that makes a comeback and win a heartwarming gold medal.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

MNIMWA posted:

lol, I burned a rock the exact same way last night. It's just a casual league so obviously no one cared.

I took a look at the round robins of the past few Olympics and in most 6-3 is the cutoff for the playoffs for women. Last Olympics two 5-4 teams made it though. That's not a lot of margin for error for Homan.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Four losses might get you into a tiebreaker, but only one of those team will make it into the playoffs.

Canada has two upcoming games against former world champions and given the way they've preformed against a couple of minnows and in general on the tour this season (for everything other than the trials) they are almost certain to suffer that fourth loss. Muirhead is the most likely to do it, she's beat Homan 11 of the 18 times they have played, including their most recent matchup in early September last year. Wang hasn't ever beat Homan, but if there is a time, it would appear to be now.

And I suppose it is open season on any burned rock from her team now and into the distant future. Or probably not because the other team will want to seem the better sportsman, and we'll hear endlessly about that from the commentators.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
The Swedish men’s team is too pretty. It’s not fair.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
To Err is Homan

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Koirhor posted:

To Err is Homan
:drat: That needs to be the thread title.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Muirhead not playing well at all.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The commentator on the USA women’s stream rules. Dude is insanely chill.

E: fruit break!

Alfred P. Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 17, 2018

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The commentator on the USA women’s stream rules. Dude is insanely chill.

E: fruit break!

He was so into the Russian with the glasses, every throw he commented on her remarkable form.

Thank god the USA women can sweep, that was way too close.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Bankok posted:

He was so into the Russian with the glasses, every throw he commented on her remarkable form.

Honestly, same.

Good win for the US, almost blew it on the draw at the end tho

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

The Sweden-Canada game is pretty good. Might be a preview of the gold medal game?

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

gret posted:

The Sweden-Canada game is pretty good. Might be a preview of the gold medal game?

No commentary is weird, but enjoying hearing more of the players talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

drat these two teams are just trading great shots.

• Locked thread