Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
My 10+ year old black and decker toaster oven just died (nothing happens when you turn the knobs). I’m replacing it with a B+D that has an identical shape but now has buttons instead of knobs. I’m hoping for another 10 years. Might be the most used appliance in the house. I hope the new model makes good toast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Sandtrout Catsuit posted:

I have the same food processor as Jacques! That I bought in the early 2000s, and is dying. Is it worth springing for a Magimix if I have the money?

I've had my Magimix 5200XL for about four years now. I don't own a lesser food processor, but I've been nothing but satisfied with mine. There are a couple minor niggles, of course.
1) The lid should have silicone gaskets or something to prevent the contents of the inner bowls from working their way out, since you can only use bowls while nested. Easily fixed with a little plumber's tape around the rim.
2) I wish it snapped closed to the left, not right.
3) Clearance on the mini bowl is a little high; you can make pesto, but I wouldn't aim for perfectly even pico. It's not a huge problem, but you'll notice it.

I'm guessing you don't need the increased power of the Magimix. Your call, but I like mine. I don't need the extra power either, to be honest.

Sandtrout Catsuit
Feb 15, 2008

They were all over his body now. He could feel the pulse of his blood against the living membrane.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I've had my Magimix 5200XL for about four years now. I don't own a lesser food processor, but I've been nothing but satisfied with mine. There are a couple minor niggles, of course.
1) The lid should have silicone gaskets or something to prevent the contents of the inner bowls from working their way out, since you can only use bowls while nested. Easily fixed with a little plumber's tape around the rim.
2) I wish it snapped closed to the left, not right.
3) Clearance on the mini bowl is a little high; you can make pesto, but I wouldn't aim for perfectly even pico. It's not a huge problem, but you'll notice it.

I'm guessing you don't need the increased power of the Magimix. Your call, but I like mine. I don't need the extra power either, to be honest.

Is that what the blender ring is supposed to do? I mainly like it for the range of accessories (no one else has a parmesan disk) and power is never a bad thing.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I saw recommended earlier in the thread the Gvode Flex Edge Beater for the 5qt Kitchenaid mixers. Is there an equivalent recommendation for the 6qt version? My model did not come with any, just the regular flat beater.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.amazon.com/Original-BeaterBlade-KitchenAid-6-Quart-KA-6L/dp/B0015TMI28

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Thanks, figured it was that obvious but there were a few different brands so couldn't hurt to ask.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I recently got a half-sheet aluminum baking pan and noticed that when I put it in the oven the bottom gets scratched up by the grates. Is there a problem with the pan, the grates, or both?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

I recently got a half-sheet aluminum baking pan and noticed that when I put it in the oven the bottom gets scratched up by the grates. Is there a problem with the pan, the grates, or both?

It’s not really a problem at all, other than cosmetic. You’re scratching the aluminum oxide that naturally and quickly forms on bare aluminum. Don’t worry about damaging what is a glorified piece of sheet metal.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I don't trust a person who doesn't have scratches on their aluminum baking sheets

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
General question about Marble.

Is the argument (other than classy looks) for a Marble (i guess you'd refer to it as a) Pastry Slab and Rolling Pin that they stay cool/cold and pastry doesn't stick like it does to wood boards and other work surfaces?

I'm getting tired of working dough with my wood boards (even using a poo poo ton of flour...)

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looking for a reliable online dealer for some Tojiros. I basically want a 7"-6.6" santoku and 1-2 paring knives. Or should I just go with this Mac? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006MM4RE/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2WUAJVRVFM8ZQ&colid=1LGWH9C2BYR8W&psc=1

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

obi_ant posted:

Looking for a reliable online dealer for some Tojiros. I basically want a 7"-6.6" santoku and 1-2 paring knives. Or should I just go with this Mac? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006MM4RE/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2WUAJVRVFM8ZQ&colid=1LGWH9C2BYR8W&psc=1

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/tojiro
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro-knives.html

Amazon usually has a bunch of various Japanese vendors that sell them too. I've purchased from them, both Fulfilled By Amazon and shipped direct, without issue.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

OH NOE, ALL CLAD, WHAT IS YOU DOIN' TO DAT PAN

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Scott808 posted:

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/tojiro
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro-knives.html

Amazon usually has a bunch of various Japanese vendors that sell them too. I've purchased from them, both Fulfilled By Amazon and shipped direct, without issue.

I'm planning to pick this Tojiro 3-Piece set here. I wanted to add in a smaller santoku, here, would this be a good choice?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

obi_ant posted:

I'm planning to pick this Tojiro 3-Piece set here. I wanted to add in a smaller santoku, here, would this be a good choice?

I think your choices look good to me.

I've got an 8" chef's knife, 6" santoku, 6.5" Nakiri and a 3" paring knife. Nakiri deals with the veggies and santoku/chef's knife deal with the meats (my santoku is just a cheap OXO). paring knife for the small stuff. I very very rarely find myself desiring a different knife. Sounds like you are getting a comparable setup with your choices, so I think you will be happy with them.

Oh, also I have a bread knife, but it's nothing fancy.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What do yall use for holding your knives? Are those universal knife blocks where you just stick your knives in a mass of foam (?) worth it?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Wall-mounted magnetic strips all the way.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

extravadanza posted:

I think your choices look good to me.

I've got an 8" chef's knife, 6" santoku, 6.5" Nakiri and a 3" paring knife. Nakiri deals with the veggies and santoku/chef's knife deal with the meats (my santoku is just a cheap OXO). paring knife for the small stuff. I very very rarely find myself desiring a different knife. Sounds like you are getting a comparable setup with your choices, so I think you will be happy with them.

Oh, also I have a bread knife, but it's nothing fancy.

What do you use you 8" knife for? I'm asking because I don't seem to have a use for it, as I was thinking the 8" would be my meat knife?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

obi_ant posted:

What do you use you 8" knife for? I'm asking because I don't seem to have a use for it, as I was thinking the 8" would be my meat knife?

8" is for large pieces of meat, like pork butt, (thanksgiving) turkey, various large slabs of beef, or sometimes big veggies like cabbage. Oh, also I use it for fish that need to be treated gently, so I have a longer stroke of the knife without having to push as hard to complete the cut in one slice.

e: if you have a small kitchen, the 8" knife might actually feel too big. I didn't use it as much in my last house, but now I have more room to spread out and I don't have to worry about bashing the tip into the wall.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Smdh if you don’t get our your 12” chef’s knife to cut orange wedges for breakfast.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

extravadanza posted:

8" is for large pieces of meat, like pork butt, (thanksgiving) turkey, various large slabs of beef, or sometimes big veggies like cabbage. Oh, also I use it for fish that need to be treated gently, so I have a longer stroke of the knife without having to push as hard to complete the cut in one slice.

e: if you have a small kitchen, the 8" knife might actually feel too big. I didn't use it as much in my last house, but now I have more room to spread out and I don't have to worry about bashing the tip into the wall.

That makes sense. Thanks!

Lawnie posted:

Smdh if you don’t get our your 12” chef’s knife to cut orange wedges for breakfast.

Samurai sword?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Don't be ridiculous. I use my tanto for such endeavors. Long blades would be foolish in confined spaces.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

1redflag posted:

Don't be ridiculous. I use my tanto for such endeavors. Long blades would be foolish in confined spaces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrZuYfti-pE

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Thoughts on the Cuisinart DFP-14CNY vs a Breville Sous Chef?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

VERTiG0 posted:

I don’t know as I haven’t used either, op. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help!

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

obi_ant posted:

Is there a reason why you want both an 210mm gyuto and a 170mm santoku? In theory they both fulfill the role of general all purpose knife. If you want both for no reason other than you want them both then I think that's as valid as any other reason.

I think what you get depends on what you're comfortable with using. I'm comfortable with 270mm, and prefer that over 210mm and 240mm, so that's what I use almost all of the time.

It sounds like you possibly prefer a smaller knife, and that's the reason for the santoku?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Scott808 posted:

It sounds like you possibly prefer a smaller knife, and that's the reason for the santoku?

This is true, I think I'm going to be more comfortable with a smaller knife. But since literally *everyone* seems to be comfortable with a 210mm gyuto, I think it's just my inadequacies as an amateur chef. I've also used a santoku before, but wanted it a tiny bit smaller. Maybe I can use one for precision cuts and one for more "wedge-y" cuts.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Been using my Breville Smart Oven for a few days now. It is cool and good.

That is all.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

VERTiG0 posted:

I have a sous chef and it is awesome and has attachments for all kinds of things. The downside is it is large and heavy, but I imagine a similar sized Cuisinart would be too.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Been using my Breville Smart Oven for a few days now. It is cool and good.

That is all.

Jesus that is a $600 (Canadian, for the Air) toaster oven. What's the deal

snyprmag posted:

I have a sous chef and it is awesome and has attachments for all kinds of things. The downside is it is large and heavy, but I imagine a similar sized Cuisinart would be too.

Thank you.

fart simpson posted:

I don’t know as I haven’t used either, op. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help!

Thank you.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

VERTiG0 posted:

I got the Compact Smart Oven (it was the middle size choice at the time) for $160 several years ago and I love it. It's big enough to fit a whole chicken.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

VERTiG0 posted:

It's such a nice toaster oven it can literally be an oven replacement. They're pretty sweet.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Well poo poo, I don't have a toaster oven.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

VERTiG0 posted:

I have that Cuisinart and never had a problem with it.

For what it's worth, Cook's Illustrated ranked that Cusinart as the #1 processor, and the 12-cup Breville at #2, the only real difference being that the Breville struggled to mix large amounts of pizza dough. Whether or not that's an important detail is for you to decide.

From what I can tell, the differences are minor enough that you'd likely be satisfied regardless of choice.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm looking for a pan to make shakshuka in. Where I make it now it destroys the seasoning on my non enamel cast iron skillet.

Should I get an enamel skillet, or an enamel Dutch oven? I've been wanting to get an enamel Dutch oven for awhile, and I could probably do shakshuka in it.

Are there other options?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Seems like an ideal case for non stick.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Enameled Dutch oven, never look back.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

100%.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Next question, which one?

The lodge lavender 6.5 qt doubled in price :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
I've been really happy with my Tramontina enameled dutch oven. It's a 5 qt and I use it all the time. I had an issue with the enamel starting to crack after about 2 years, emailed them a photo, and they sent out a brand new one free of charge. Lifetime warranties are awesome. They were really easy going about it and shipped it quickly.