Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

rocker launchers are badass. sorry you hate awesome people doing awesome things, and for the community, too

like if dikc durbin was trying to move a crate of TEC-9s id respect the hustle, yanno?

You can use a LAW or RPG in Cambodia for like 100$ American to blow up a cow.

Would recommend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

graph posted:

i mean cleveland has case but it's too far away location and politically from downtown. csu has gotten a fuckton of investment the past 10 years but it's still not on caliber with something like pitt. csu becoming on-par with pitt would be ideal

and Case is no Carnegie Mellon

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

graph posted:

yeah rainbow babies is really good. but, rainbow babies is part of uh, not cleveland clinic.

the drama between uh, case, and the clinic is meteoric

the Cleveland Clinic is one of the long term users of Cyc

they started as a Cyc site in the 1980s, before the AI Winter, when that meant running it on Symbolics 3600-series hardware

there may still be Symbolics 3600 and XL series and Texas Instruments Explorer series Lisp Machines around electronic recyclers/resellers in the area, as well as Mac IIs and Quadras with MacIvory and microExplorer boards installed

I will pay for such things if anyone finds them

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

eschaton posted:

there may still be Symbolics 3600 and XL series and Texas Instruments Explorer series Lisp Machines around electronic recyclers/resellers in the area, as well as Mac IIs and Quadras with MacIvory and microExplorer boards installed

nah they paid big buxx to get all that poo poo p2v'd years ago sorry

edit: oops misread, hit up ret3 http://ret3.org/contact/

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

eschaton posted:

and Case is no Carnegie Mellon

yeah one licks at the darpa teat the other is on the end of a firehose

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Waroduce posted:

Would recommend

why

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i would like to use an rpg-7 in cambodia to blow up an old car or something

shooting a rocket at a cow is sadistic and cruel

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jimmy Carter posted:

has there been anyone doing a Branch Davidian-style “hacker compound” in the mountains above Los Gatos yet? There’s still a bunch of land I see and it’s like 30 minutes to San Jose

branch bigendians?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Branch If Equalians

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Sagebrush posted:

i would like to use an rpg-7 in cambodia to blow up an old car or something

shooting a rocket at a cow is sadistic and cruel

I was assuming it was a cow carcass that had already been slaughtered but now I realize you're probably right...

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

mrmcd posted:

I was assuming it was a cow carcass that had already been slaughtered but now I realize you're probably right...

apocalypse_now_water_buffalo.gif

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Sadism and cruelty denote a focus on suffering, getting hit with an RPG is generally a fast way to go.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

oh okay

you loving idiot

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TimWinter posted:

Sadism and cruelty denote a focus on suffering, getting hit with an RPG is generally a fast way to go.

no suicide requests in yospos

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

I guess I'm just from the wrong social class because I cannot trust anything other than a monthly paycheck as income. Anything else is just a way for some money person to gently caress you later.

i get that, but its something youre going to have to work past if you don't want to continue feeling as financially insecure as it sounds like you do. your RSU grants are going to become a larger and larger portion of your income as you gain experience/get promoted, to the point that you'll be making 50%+ of your yearly income off of a RSUs.

quote:

The reality is that I still have to live paycheck to paycheck because of my and my wife's student debt load.

If and when my rsus vest they're just gonna go down that same hole. I haven't changed my lifestyle at all since I was a technical writer and I'm just now only barely able to exist with it depending on credit.

have you gotten financial advice from a real person or the bfc forum? they can help a lot with optimizing how you pay down your debt to get you financially independent quicker, for instance

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Rsu payment like that is for tech majors and companies that imitate tech majors

Companies that don't imitate tech majors, you'll just top out in cash, and usually a lower cash amount, at that... Leaving possibly over 100k on the table, in many cases. I knew a guy who left effectively 200k on the table

Try not to leave multiples of normal people's salary on the table because of your class pretensions

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
rodents of size unusual

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Rsu payment like that is for tech majors and companies that imitate tech majors

Companies that don't imitate tech majors, you'll just top out in cash, and usually a lower cash amount, at that... Leaving possibly over 100k on the table, in many cases. I knew a guy who left effectively 200k on the table

Try not to leave multiples of normal people's salary on the table because of your class pretensions

My RSUs autosell so it's like getting 1-2 extra paychecks each month. Always sign up for an autosale program if you can. Take your comp in cash and just buy the stock yourself if you want to make a non-tax advantaged investment directly in your employer.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don’t get rsus

or bonuses (well rarely)

:awesomelon:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

lancemantis posted:

I don’t get rsus

or bonuses (well rarely)

:awesomelon:

Taxes

Also incentive structure

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mrmcd posted:

My RSUs autosell so it's like getting 1-2 extra paychecks each month. Always sign up for an autosale program if you can. Take your comp in cash and just buy the stock yourself if you want to make a non-tax advantaged investment directly in your employer.

don't invest in your employer

even if your employer is a good investment, it's the opposite of a diversified portfolio -- you already have a lot at risk, in the form of your fuckin job

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I get a 15% cash bonus if I meet expectations and the company makes budget

lol at owning stock in your employer, or even in anything in the same industry as your employer

diversification motherfuckers it’s what for dinner

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i have a bunch of options but they don't mean poo poo until we ipo so i'm still sitting here waiting

dunno how i'm gonna sell them off once we do go public- if i should sell them all at once and then place the rest that are vesting on auto-sell or start trickling them out as if i'd just started earning them after we ipo

idk

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rex-Goliath posted:

i have a bunch of options but they don't mean poo poo until we ipo so i'm still sitting here waiting

dunno how i'm gonna sell them off once we do go public- if i should sell them all at once and then place the rest that are vesting on auto-sell or start trickling them out as if i'd just started earning them after we ipo

idk

don't worry -- if the ipo actually happens, and the options are actually worth something, you won't have a choice. you will be forced to sell them on the spot to pay your income tax

if you are paid in stock options, the difference between the strike price and the stock price at exercise time is taxable income, at your normal tax rate. as an extra fun wrinkle, you will end up paying AMT on that year's taxes, so you won't have any deductions, either

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

don't worry -- if the ipo actually happens, and the options are actually worth something, you won't have a choice. you will be forced to sell them on the spot to pay your income tax

if you are paid in stock options, the difference between the strike price and the stock price at exercise time is taxable income, at your normal tax rate. as an extra fun wrinkle, you will end up paying AMT on that year's taxes, so you won't have any deductions, either

oh...

NICE!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
where it gets super lovely is if you have a lockout period. you may be forced to exercise your options to participate in the ipo, socking you with a huge tax due, but then you may be unable to sell due to lockouts.

then, you get double-hosed: you can owe a bunch of money in tax on gains that were never realized, because the stock plunges after ipo lol

$3 strike price, $12 ipo: $9 of taxable income on the spot
-- 12 months of lockout ensue --
you sell your stock for $6, and you owe interest to whoever financed your tax bill up front :q:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
there are lots and lots and lots and lots of ways to get screwed badly by private company stock grants

there are dudes working full time at your startup, at their venture capital firms, and at all potential acquirers whose only job is to figure out how to gently caress you over on this

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

can't wait!!!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

don't invest in your employer

even if your employer is a good investment, it's the opposite of a diversified portfolio -- you already have a lot at risk, in the form of your fuckin job

Yeah, that's what I was implying with my post. Like if you really want to do that (even if it's probably bad strategy) you can just buy the stock on your etrade account or whatever. Always sell RSUs asap and get your comp in cash.

Also I should point out that RSU grants are usually targeted at a specific cash amount then converted to shares at grant time. So you're already invested in your employer via your future comp for the time period between grant date and vesting.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Also, yeah, start up equity is such a hilariously bad deal for 9/10 employees it's not even funny. Even if the company doesn't crash and burn, the amount most people get is so small compared to the number of years you could be waiting for it, and the opportunity costs of better paying jobs at companies with valuable and liquid equity.

Basically,

bob dobbs is dead posted:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Waroduce posted:

Would recommend

seek help

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

manpad thai

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
a taste explosion

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
cow-mer rouge.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

im reading a report about the un-death of retail, idk if it's public or only something my company gets so i'm not gonna post it but it's got some fun gems, here's my favorite:

quote:

The rise of personal shopping technologies mean that while customers used to travel
to stores, they themselves are becoming the store — wherever they happen to be
at the moment. “These future shoppers will come armed with dozens of tools for
disintermediating retailers, [such as] bot technologies, voice-activated ordering, and
subscription-based purchasing systems,” the authors wrote.

DON'T GO TO THE STORE BECOME THE STORE

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
be your own bank store

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
be the capitalism you want to see in teh world

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bump_fn posted:

be the capitalism you want to see in teh world

hey can we get a mod in here, suicide requests are bannable

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ate all the Oreos posted:

im reading a report about the un-death of retail, idk if it's public or only something my company gets so i'm not gonna post it but it's got some fun gems, here's my favorite:

DON'T GO TO THE STORE BECOME THE STORE

love too voice activate disintermediation bot strategies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

so the new thing will be logistics systems for retailers to defend them against future shoppers armed with bot technology

*automated minigun turret springs to life* "WELCOME TO BATH AND BODY WORKS, PLEASE PRESENT YOUR FREQUENT SHOPPER ID AND PREPARE TO BE SCANNED FOR DANGEROUS PRICE OPTIMIZATION ALGORITHMS"