Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
perhaps you should consider finding employment as something other than a typist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
i have the gayest keyboards possible

(enjoy me slowly going through my old dvd collection and putting them into my nas)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

imo only bad keyboards are gamertrash 3000, which this is not

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

"MIIIIIIIIIIKE, HOW DO YOU OPEN THE TASK MANAGER"

"PRESS FIDGET SPINNER, POPORING, F4"

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Lain Iwakura posted:

i have the gayest keyboards possible

(enjoy me slowly going through my old dvd collection and putting them into my nas)

gay

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
cotton candy edition

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

ah, cool, he’s been trying to talk me into coming to toorcamp

just gave him an IBM PS/2 X.25 Coprocessor Card to use in the wack-rear end network there too

go, I’m going and I always have fun at computer camp

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im not sure i could ever go from qwerty, or want to do so. im not sure ive even seen a dvorak board in my life. moe of just thinking along the lines of whether if there are real advantages for getting, say, ergodox

I like ergodox because I can arrange keyboard halves separately so I don’t have to bend my wrists

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
ergo boards are a pain in the good fps, doom, because it has more weapons than buttons near your left hand

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

ergo boards are a pain in the good fps, doom, because it has more weapons than buttons near your left hand

my mouse has like 4 spare buttons

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

cinci zoo sniper posted:

my mouse has like 4 spare buttons

that’s your tv remote.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i looked more at ergodox and lack of F keys is a big no for me. now thinking about kinesis freestyle

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

President Beep posted:

that’s your tv remote.

i dont have a tv

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i dont have a tv

then wtf do you have a remote for???

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

President Beep posted:

then wtf do you have a remote for???

computer

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

like...a mouse?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

President Beep posted:

like...a mouse?

no, a cordful tv remote with gliding capabilities

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

no, a cordful tv remote with gliding capabilities

far out.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

russians used an itellimouse explorer 3.0

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

best fps setup was mouse + Apple ergonomic keyboard's separate numpad

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

best fps setup was mouse + Apple ergonomic keyboard's separate numpad

for a clown

at the circus

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I'm typing this on a modem M that I just spilled a full beer through (this morning I also tipped my coffee over onto the number pad). Given that it is literally old enough to drink, I've been thinking about replacing it. Are any of these new-fangled mech keyboards as resistant to liquids as this god drat tank of a keyboard?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i want to talk to my computer, is voice recognition good enough that i can do that?

i dont want to type anymor

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

dragon naturally speaking was meh, but i tried like 10 years ago

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
racoon natural speed king? it didn't get any better.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

BONGHITZ posted:

i want to talk to my computer, is voice recognition good enough that i can do that?

i dont want to type anymor

holla at yo girl siri

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Skim Milk posted:

holla at yo girl Cortana

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

dragon naturally speaking is the best when you talk to it in a completely different language and it starts generating random poetry because it absolutely refuses to admit it can't understand you

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

RoastBeef posted:

I'm typing this on a modem M that I just spilled a full beer through (this morning I also tipped my coffee over onto the number pad). Given that it is literally old enough to drink, I've been thinking about replacing it. Are any of these new-fangled mech keyboards as resistant to liquids as this god drat tank of a keyboard?

last night I tried to clean the base plate in my cherry mx blue keyboard and just brushing the dust/crumbs off around the switches and pouring some iso on it seems to have been enough to make 6 different switches lose their clickyness
now the MX blues are more mechanically complicated than most others but I'd say no they're probably won't survive a coffee cup

they're surprisingly easy to replace though, so i got it repaired this afternoon by popping in new switches, and all but 2 of the old ones were salvageable by opening and cleaning the sliding surfaces

Stubbs
Oct 24, 2005

the '2' key on my advantage ends up firing twice at times. haven't tried to replace the key for fear of loving up the PCB

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
it was actually really easy, the pcb in the cooler master is a one sided PCB without plated through holes, and the holes are oversized
that means you can reliably desolder the pins using something as simple as a solder pump

though overheating will likely kill the board even faster than a nice FR-4 board, so a proper soldering iron is mandatory

you'll need to know if your keyboard uses PCB or plate mount switches, and if there's anything else special about it (like LEDs or built in diodes).

the cooler master quickfire xt is just a standard panel mount with no diodes, it was mostly luck that I had the right ones since the switches were actually ordered for use in a front panel for a radio project.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Cherry switches are pretty durable. Have you tried mashing it 1000 times to see if it just fixes itself?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

It came. These Matias loud switches sound like my C64... I'm up to like 4 wpm again.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hed posted:

It came. These Matias loud switches sound like my C64... I'm up to like 4 wpm again.

what in tarnation

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Hed posted:

that's...a weird place for the function key (aka the worst meta key)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hed posted:

:eyepop:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

do you type on those or are they some kind of shoe?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Hed posted:

Atleast make the backlights one colour or something cause goddamn that is :vomarine:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

that's...a weird place for the function key (aka the worst meta key)

please, it’s the f’n (effin) key

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BONGHITZ posted:

do you type on those or are they some kind of shoe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Dutch wooden keyboard