Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Endless Mike posted:

I laundered those all through iTunes Match ages ago.

Yeah I should've totally done that when I had it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Over There posted:

I just got an ipad and have to use TouchID again and I fuckingggg hate it. FaceID for life.

Doesn't seem too bad so far! I just loved being able to send a quick text by peaking at your phone and having it unlocked before you pull it out of your pocket. First world problems I know

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

What does the touch/face id have to do with taking pictures? There's a button on the lock screen that requires no id

sorry I meant the lack of touch ID was the biggest pushback for me with the X

the portrait mode dog pics are too good :shrug:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
“Oh man it’s cold let me keep my gloves on and unlock my iPhone in a single fluid motion :smuggo:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

“Oh man it’s cold let me keep my gloves on and unlock my iPhone in a single fluid motion :smuggo:

I do ride but I wear a dual sport helmet that has a pretty open face shield area so I guess I’ll try that out

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Why is carplay so full of jank?

e: Adding to this carplay maps wants to take me to the same destination every time it loads. I've never been to where it wants to nav and I don't know where it's getting that destination from.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

incoherent posted:

Why is carplay so full of jank?

What jankiness are you experiencing?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

It will randomly blank the screen out and stop reponding to touch or buttons on the console requiring an unplug or plug in, (using google music) random ui oddities like sticking, and the obvious map bug in my edit.

It's all running on my (iPhone SE) and the phone is not lagging at all due to an old batt.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
My iPhone just was randomly not being recognized as hooked up to my Car Play capable car. I'd have to shut the car off and try again. I thought it was my new car but then I updated my phone to the 11.3 Beta from what ever the current public release is and I haven't had a single issue. So uh guess Apple is loving their own poo poo up?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
In other news I am a big homo who can't stop buying portable Apple crap. I just bought some Beats Studio3 Wireless over the ear headphones with active noise cancelling and they are cool and good and shiny and red. I now own AirPods, Beats X, and Beats Studio3.

I had Power Beats3 for about 2 hours until my wife came home and stole them. Which led me to buying AirPods and loving them, then down the line I still wanted to try in ears so I got the Beats X cheap refurbed from BB. Now for some reason I decided I needed wireless headphones(wanted really good wireless sound, figured out I'm not huge on in ears).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

incoherent posted:

It will randomly blank the screen out and stop reponding to touch or buttons on the console requiring an unplug or plug in, (using google music) random ui oddities like sticking, and the obvious map bug in my edit.

It's all running on my (iPhone SE) and the phone is not lagging at all due to an old batt.

I just asked my SE-owning wife and she hasn't experienced anything like that, but she's still on iOS 10.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

lelandjs posted:

I just asked my SE-owning wife and she hasn't experienced anything like that, but she's still on iOS 10.

a good rear end-wife imo

Bum the Sad posted:

My iPhone just was randomly not being recognized as hooked up to my Car Play capable car. I'd have to shut the car off and try again. I thought it was my new car but then I updated my phone to the 11.3 Beta from what ever the current public release is and I haven't had a single issue. So uh guess Apple is loving their own poo poo up?

gently caress it, i'll hop on the beta branch.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 15, 2018

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
I can’t promise it will help but it did for me.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Doesn't seem too bad so far! I just loved being able to send a quick text by peaking at your phone and having it unlocked before you pull it out of your pocket. First world problems I know

sorry I meant the lack of touch ID was the biggest pushback for me with the X

Nice spaniel

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Major new iOS bug can crash iPhones and disable access to apps and iMessages

I’m starting to think iOS 11 has issues.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol

iOS 11 is such a piece of poo poo

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
^^im legit asking, do you do anything except incessantly complain and bitch?

Yikes. That one is bad. Apparently it doesn't work on 11.3 but this should hopefully get us 11.2.6 soon to fix it while we wait.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

^^im legit asking, do you do anything except incessantly complain and bitch?

Yep

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Welp I sure am a consumer whore and selling out to Face ID. How much y’all missing thumb ID? I was getting tired of asking MY GF to send me dog pics or to use her camera when taking said dog pics

Ah, there we go.

Former iPhone 8 user now on an X, AMA

Wireless charging still owns

I got a X (an X? a ten?) on launch day, my mom just got an iPhone 8 last week. I miss Touch ID a whole lot and would trade phones with her if it were that simple.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

enojy posted:

I got a X (an X? a ten?)
Officially, none. Apple people refuse to use articles when they talk about the products and it cracks me up every time how awkward and forced it is.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

That's such a good phone photo, it's crazy how good the tech is compared to ten, even five years ago.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

enojy posted:

I got a X (an X? a ten?) on launch day, my mom just got an iPhone 8 last week. I miss Touch ID a whole lot and would trade phones with her if it were that simple.

Give it a few weeks. I missed it at first but that completely changed after a while.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
But he got iPhone X on launch day. It’s been three months at this point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That's such a good phone photo, it's crazy how good the tech is compared to ten, even five years ago.

The coolest part is they're doing it in software, the lenses really aren't doing much different now than 5+ years ago.

Blurred background = professional.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

hey girl you up posted:

Officially, none. Apple people refuse to use articles when they talk about the products and it cracks me up every time how awkward and forced it is.

During the announcement they were very clear it was 'ten' and when they were demoing it to the media they specifically told them to say 'iPhone Ten'.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

enojy posted:

I mean it kinda is that simple though? But I see what you're saying

Quantum of Phallus posted:

in high school a more wealthy friend had a small lovely non-flip phone with a little camera attachment that we never used to take terrible pics, because you're relying on remembering to bring said attachment. Portrait mode sure is good at reminding one at how ugly you are though, yikes.

xzzy posted:

The coolest part is they're doing it in software, the lenses really aren't doing much different now than 5+ years ago.

Blurred background = professional.

I mean maybe not different now per-se but isn't the lack of portrait mode a hardware limitation...? (dual lens camera found in the + models and X only) plus I guess processor speeds? Idk I don't know poo poo about all this stuff but I'm guessing there's more to it than just software

at least they aren't tripping over themselves to just push out a lovely camera with THE MOST MEGAPIXELS ON A PHONE YET 24,00000 MEGA loving PIXELS

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 15, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I mean maybe not different now per-se but isn't the lack of portrait mode a hardware limitation...? (dual lens camera found in the + models and X only) plus I guess processor speeds? Idk I don't know poo poo about all this stuff but I'm guessing there's more to it than just software

Yes, the phone needs both lenses to pull it off. It's doing some magic by comparing two photos taken from different perspectives to measure depth in the scene, and blurring portions that it determines to be in the background.

On a full size camera all you have to do is make the aperture really big and zoom in. But Apple was all "uh we don't got room for a telephoto so let's do this with code."

It's pretty cool.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

so the future isn't all bad is what you're saying

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I just got the 8 plus after years of android. My last iPhone was the 5S, which I hated since it seemed super slow after the release of the 6. I'm hoping that, with the same A11 as the X, that won't happen this time.

I love TouchID just as much now as I did on the 5S, but I kind of hate the lack of a real button. Is it using the same vibration motor as the MacBook touchpad that no longer clicks in? It's weirdly satisfying for not being an actual clickable button.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I never liked the non-physical button and always felt the vibrating motor thing would break long before a mechanical button (i know that's probably not why they changed it but I digress)

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I never liked the non-physical button and always felt the vibrating motor thing would break long before a mechanical button (i know that's probably not why they changed it but I digress)

It's actually the opposite

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Mechanical home button and headphone jack are why the 6S was the best iPhone all the way up to X release.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

comper posted:

It's actually the opposite

Yeah I assume they do it b/c the mechanical button was one of the most likely parts of the old iPhones to break

I was just surprised because, while I'm sure I had read at some point that they had gotten rid of an actual button on the iPhone, the iPad Pro I got a month ago has a button so I just sort of assumed the 8 would have the same feature. Not a dealbreaker or anything, was just sort of surprising.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Touch ID seems to work significantly better with it not being a physical button so I'm fine with it not being a button.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I think it was China where everyone had the accessibility on screen button turned on, because they were so paranoid the actual button would wear out. I think one model had that issue, but it was resolved and never affected the majority of people using this daft workaround.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think it was China where everyone had the accessibility on screen button turned on, because they were so paranoid the actual button would wear out. I think one model had that issue, but it was resolved and never affected the majority of people using this daft workaround.

every asian i've ever seen using an iPhone uses the accessibility button, it's loving bizarre

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I upgraded from a 5s to an 8 and I’m really liking it. Touch ID has felt less picky, but maybe I don’t have enough time to say definitively.

I just noticed the live photo feature- is there a way to save them as gif or video?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Oxyclean posted:

I just noticed the live photo feature- is there a way to save them as gif or video?

Lively on the App Store should do what you want- it automatically selects all the Live Pictures you took and lets you auto export them as GIFs or Movies (MP4s.)
Free, but all GIFs get a watermark stamped on them, in-app purchase to remove the watermark.

Motion Stills, by Google lets you convert Live Pictures to GIFs, and add 'Motion Text' and emoji that follows objects on screen.. only mentioning it out of completeness..
Free, but you know, Google..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 15, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

I upgraded from a 5s to an 8 and I’m really liking it. Touch ID has felt less picky, but maybe I don’t have enough time to say definitively.

Second-generation Touch ID on your 8 is vastly better than first-gen on your 5S, so it's probably not just in your head.

There's an app called Motion Stills by Google that will turn live photos into GIFs.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

I like "Motion Stills" from the app store. also lets you stabilize and reverse the animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think one model had that issue, but it was resolved and never affected the majority of people using this daft workaround.

It happens with everything with a physical button - there is a massive drawer full of them at my work including at least one 6S