Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Same, they looked good even before looking up what they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pasta bolognese! The Food Lab, page 729:

The wide noodles were supposed to be tagliatelle but the widest noodle Publix had was fettuccine that was barely wider than spaghetti :negative:

I did lasagna noodles cut in half, which worked quite well, though next time I'd cut into 3rds. Actually, if I'm going to spend 90 minutes active and 3 hours simmering, next time I'll probably roll out fresh pasta.

Kale Caesar, TFL page 828:

We liked it! The oil massage did help tame the kale's fibrousness, though next time I may add lemon as well for more tenderizing.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

tarbrush posted:

I've always found homemade green curry paste well worth the effort.

EoinCannon posted:

I find homemade red curry paste to be noticeably better than the jar stuff. It's more complex and the kaffir lime, lemongrass and galangal oils don't store very well so they're better fresh.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll probably end up making the curry myself in the future as I usually have left over lemon grass and galangal when we make other dishes. However, we wanted to see if the canned stuff, which had the same exact ingredient list as the recipe I posted above, would be a good substitute when we're in a pinch or making stuff for more than just the two of us.

Sandtrout Catsuit
Feb 15, 2008

They were all over his body now. He could feel the pulse of his blood against the living membrane.

EoinCannon posted:

I find homemade red curry paste to be noticeably better than the jar stuff. It's more complex and the kaffir lime, lemongrass and galangal oils don't store very well so they're better fresh.

Asking here because it's kinda on topic and there's no Thai food thread:

Does anyone have suggestions for making red curry paste that's as non-spicy as possible? I'm cooking for a literal small child. The internet tells me anaheims are the mildest dried pepper; could I substitute those for hot chiles?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
So. I got really drunk at a bear festival on Saturday so I decided to make Sunday gravy while hungover.
(I was already planning on making the gravy just not hung over)

I'm not Italian and I learned this from an Italian gal, and basically every family has their own way of making it so feel free to mix it up.

First the meatballs. Make the meatballs however you want, these are half beef half veal because that's what the butcher had Friday night when I bought the stuff.
(I use salt, pepper an egg and fresh parsley in mine. Except I forgot to put the parsley in being hung over). Put them in a hot pot with a little olive oil in the bottom.

When those are nice and brown on two sides. I pull them out and put them in a oven safe bowl covered in foil in the oven. (I baked them for like five minute while I make the rest)

Next up is some nice boneless pork chops and some de-boned chicken thighs. (If you are thinking of using breast meat just skip chicken all together). These also get browned and most of the fat is rendered off into the pot.

Take those out and onto a cutting board. Since these chops are from the butchers they are extra thick so I cut them into three pieces equal sized. If your chops are thin, you can cut in half or leave them as is. The chicken I cut into large manageable pieces. While you are doing that however you put your sausage in the pot.

(These are from a local Italian butcher shop fresh made there. If you are getting yours in the supermarket go ahead and put more in, they tend to be smaller, just make sure they all touch the pan bottom)
When they are browned, take them out. If they have string like mine, go ahead and cut it off and unlink them. Leave them whole though.

Now you put in a chopped large onion. I use a big Spanish onion. This will start to deglaze the bottom of the pan and also the onions will soak up the menage of animal fats from the previous steps.

(I also forgot to mention I add pepper and a little salt here too as well as season the above pork chops)

This step may look the same but we have a half clove of garlic added after the onions are wilting so it doesn't get burnt.

(Not pictured I de-glazed the pan with some Cabernet. ( I often use lager but I was sick of beer from the festival before)

Followed quickly by crushed tomatoes, and either tomato puree or sauce . The puree is extra thick so I add water that not only gets the last bit of tomato goodness from the cans but also adds volume because the puree is so thick. (If you are not using puree add some paste) If not using puree use another can of crushed tomatoes for three total. Four cans of liquid either way.

(I was going to add that red pepper but wife didn't want it in there so I just left it out to go in the mixed green salad. If you do add the pepper make sure you add it near the end like an hour to go, otherwise you end up with pulpless peppers and no one likes pulpless peppers.)

This is what it looks like. I usually add some herbs in now. Always some parsley. (This time the stuff I forgot to add into the meatballs) most times some fresh basil and maybe in a dash of oregano. The meatballs are not in the sauce yet. We add them back in halfway through cooking)

Begun the slow cook it has. Do not cover the pot. We are reducing the liquid slowly while cooking that delicious animal product.

After about 90 minutes or so of slow cooking. (we want a steady slow bubbling, bloop bloop bloop. Too fast and it's too hot. Too slow and it's too cold.) I add the meatballs back in.
After another hour or so it looks well reduced.

At this point it's nice and reduced so I go ahead and cover the pot and let it cook longer on very low while I make whatever else it is we are going to eat that evening.
Wife loves angel hair so I made a pot of that. Add some butter to it to keep it from sticking.

I toasted some fresh bread and a little olive oil on that (rub a fresh clove of garlic on it for some spicy goodness). Some pecorino romano on the sauce to taste on the plate.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Gotta have the pork. That’s the flavor.

I felt you used too many onions, but it was still a very good sauce.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sandtrout Catsuit posted:

Asking here because it's kinda on topic and there's no Thai food thread:

Does anyone have suggestions for making red curry paste that's as non-spicy as possible? I'm cooking for a literal small child. The internet tells me anaheims are the mildest dried pepper; could I substitute those for hot chiles?

All the spice in the red curry paste comes from the dried chillies so yeah, it would be a case of just substituting any mild red chillies for the red spur chillies. It would still taste just as good I reckon.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Yesterday was lasagna day. Many hours spent in the kitchen, result totally worth it.

Unfortunately forgot to take a picture of a piece on a plate but it was goddamn delicious.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Lladre posted:

At this point it's nice and reduced so I go ahead and cover the pot and let it cook longer on very low while I make whatever else it is we are going to eat that evening.
Wife loves angel hair so I made a pot of that. Add some butter to it to keep it from sticking.

The colour of that butter freaks me out. Is that made from cow milk? That's so white it looks like creme fraiche or something.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I felt you used too many onions

does not compute

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Midniter posted:

does not compute

Seriously. You can't have too much cooked onion. Note that I bolded cooked, because raw onions aren't so great.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tahirovic posted:

The colour of that butter freaks me out. Is that made from cow milk? That's so white it looks like creme fraiche or something.

It's Breakstones in a tub. I believe it is whipped butter so the addition of air makes it appear lighter in both color as well as weight.

Edit:
Also about the onion. It was just one onion. And it is in a big old pot of sauce and it's picked up the wonderful flavors of the various meats before it.
And the sugars in the thing help to balance out the tomato without having to add in processed sugar like some recipes call for.

Lladre fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 13, 2018

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

blixa posted:

Yesterday was lasagna day. Many hours spent in the kitchen, result totally worth it.

Unfortunately forgot to take a picture of a piece on a plate but it was goddamn delicious.

Looks delicious.
That is my plan for next Sunday. If I get the spare time.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

The Midniter posted:

does not compute

https://youtu.be/rQV6CijIzrc

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Gotcha. Goddamn that scene always makes me hungry.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Gotcha. Goddamn that scene always makes me hungry.

I had the same reaction to Lladre’s post

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Luckys had 24oz USDA Prime Ribeyes... I did a thing.

Sous vide to 132°, then seared on a turbo-hot griddle, 3min a side, plus a bit for the edges. Split into ~12oz servings. My lighting sucks.

I made a red wine/balsamic reduction as well, but it was completely wasted. Steak was loving PERFECT.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 15, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
timg is your friend

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ranter posted:

timg is your friend

Whoops... I phonepost most of the time, which formats properly.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Comfort food.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Meatball and sausage lasagne with smoked mozzarella

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Brand New Malaysian Wife posted:

Meatball and sausage lasagne with smoked mozzarella

Looks amazing

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Ramen

emotive fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 18, 2018

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Looks amazing

Here’s a much more graphic version:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Tahirovic posted:

Depends where you are from and it might possibly be whipped butter?

In Australia our butter is very yellow because the majority of our cows are grass fed. We have lots of space to let cows just do whatever and have farms that are the size of multiple US states. This also effect the colour if the fat on the meat.

White butter means they were grain fed which I suppose is bad for a variety of reasons (loving the environment transporting grains to feed animals when those crops could be feeding humans and the cows could be eating grass).

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
If you've got room to grow grass you've got room for dozens or hundreds more cows. Or millions if you've got the kind of space you're talking about. Pack those fuckers in there and let the grain feed and steroids do the rest!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The days it would take a helicopter to find the herd and then the week it would take the grain truck to reach them doesn't make it economical. Australian beef farmers know what they're doing. It's not an exaggeration when Willy says some farms are the size of US states.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
That might be it, most of the cows here get to go outdoors and the whole powerfood thing is regulated. Downside of this? 1kg of Filet or Entrecote is 80$ and up.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
bun bo hue w/ brisket

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Not technically dinner, but there's no currently active baking thread, so here's a key lime pie

Overshot the crust height, but who doesn't like pie crust?

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Chickpea flour & egg crepe / wilted spinach / cucumber parsley salad / lemon tahini yogurt

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

emotive posted:

Chickpea flour & egg crepe / wilted spinach / cucumber parsley salad / lemon tahini yogurt
Fascinating! How'd the crepe taste? I've never used chickpea flour and I'm curious and now want to make a falafel sandwich where the wrap tastes of more falafel.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Big Willy Style posted:

Depends where you are from and it might possibly be whipped butter?

In Australia our butter is very yellow because the majority of our cows are grass fed. We have lots of space to let cows just do whatever and have farms that are the size of multiple US states. This also effect the colour if the fat on the meat.

White butter means they were grain fed which I suppose is bad for a variety of reasons (loving the environment transporting grains to feed animals when those crops could be feeding humans and the cows could be eating grass).

It is because it is whipped. I get the same butter in stick form when I am baking, need measurements, and it is your typical butter color.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ranter posted:

The days it would take a helicopter to find the herd and then the week it would take the grain truck to reach them doesn't make it economical. Australian beef farmers know what they're doing. It's not an exaggeration when Willy says some farms are the size of US states.

The US has some pretty small states. Even the US has ranches bigger than some states.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Would eat both of these. Very nice.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Lladre posted:

The US has some pretty small states. Even the US has ranches bigger than some states.

Mostly true but for more perspective; Australia's largest cattle ranch (9100 sq mi) is 7x the size of the USA's largest. This makes it bigger than 7 US states. The USA's biggest ranch is 1200 sq mi making it only bigger than 1 state, Rhode Island.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Creek_Station
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandria_Station_(Northern_Territory)
https://state.1keydata.com/states-by-size.php

Australia is a big little island continent nation!

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

cigaw posted:

Fascinating! How'd the crepe taste? I've never used chickpea flour and I'm curious and now want to make a falafel sandwich where the wrap tastes of more falafel.

I enjoyed it very much. I spiced it with cumin seed, coriander and turmeric so it had a lot of falafel vibe to it. The recipe (here: https://www.bonappetit.com/story/cromlet-chickpea-omelet) describes it as kind of a cross between a crepe and an omelet, which describes it perfectly.

-----

Tonight:

Tostada with refried pinto beans, jackfruit and salsa verde. Trendy avocado flower (for internet points) with malden salt and lime.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

large hands posted:

bun bo hue w/ brisket

It's criminal that in this thread and the pressure cooker thread no one commented on this. Your food looks amazing and so does your photography.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

emotive posted:

I enjoyed it very much. I spiced it with cumin seed, coriander and turmeric so it had a lot of falafel vibe to it. The recipe (here: https://www.bonappetit.com/story/cromlet-chickpea-omelet) describes it as kind of a cross between a crepe and an omelet, which describes it perfectly.

-----

Tonight:

Tostada with refried pinto beans, jackfruit and salsa verde. Trendy avocado flower (for internet points) with malden salt and lime.

Well everyone posts here to be told it looks fantastic.

It looks fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I made pasta for the first time. It was fairly easy, but I quickly learned you definitely need a pasta rack.