Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Taerkar posted:

I glitched through the floor of The Primary Containment Facility and almost got killed twice by the rocket platform having a collision issue with the PRAWN suit.

I never actually died during my survival playthrough and hardcore doesn't make it any more difficult to my knowledge.

nope. there's not even a cheevo for it. just a glutton for punishment i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What happens if you do the ol’ Ctrl Alt Del trick of ending the process from the task manager? You might lose process from your current session but at least it won’t require a restart

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I did die climbing over my Cyclops to get the floaters.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I picked hardcore because I thought this was a survival game with proc gen. I don't mind games like Don't Starve where dying costs me all my progress because it means I can make a new map and be forced to tackle stuff from a different approach. I don't see the point here though. The map being static means you're just gonna be pressure to beeline for the best gear spots right away and ignore everything else.

Gonna be really upset if I lose this 24+ hour run due to a stupid death.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Maybe hardcore mode is a holdover from when they had plans to make this game proc gen, would make sense.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Danaru posted:

Finally got around to building a prawn suit and oh my god where in the galaxy can I legally marry my prawn suit
Your eventual time capsule message+photo seems like the best bet

Internet Kraken posted:

I picked hardcore because I thought this was a survival game with proc gen. I don't mind games like Don't Starve where dying costs me all my progress because it means I can make a new map and be forced to tackle stuff from a different approach. I don't see the point here though. The map being static means you're just gonna be pressure to beeline for the best gear spots right away and ignore everything else.

I've been lucky about the clipping through stuff since launch and then it started warping me through the ceiling of my cyclops and disabling swim physics in the middle of the lost river multiple times :doh:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Internet Kraken posted:

Backup your save my friend because otherwise you are gonna be really upset.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Useless things I am very happy about. Holy gently caress they finally fixed lightsticks to be permanent for launch. I can't build the rocket yet, I need to make runway lights by my safe shallows base.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Taerkar posted:

I glitched through the floor of The Primary Containment Facility and almost got killed twice by the rocket platform having a collision issue with the PRAWN suit.

I never actually died during my survival playthrough and hardcore doesn't make it any more difficult to my knowledge.

I died twice due to bugs.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
I tried to play the game as unspoiled as possible, and am now enjoying watching the occasional streamer play.

This guy has been playing for at least 50 hours, has lost 5 sea moths, and has been on the brink of finding kyanite for at least 10 hours. The seamoth losses have apparently traumatized him to the point where he spends 90% of his travel time in the prawn suit. As such, he's still eating fish exclusively, and as far as I can tell has never built a grow bed or plant pot. He also ignores chat, which lately is a lot of people mocking his gameplay decisions.

https://www.twitch.tv/shenryyr

Edit: He just discovered the existence of the scanner room hud chip.

Davethulhu fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 16, 2018

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I made the mistake of trying to place one of those duffle bags inside the Cyclops. Even moving the placement cursor around made the Cyclops freak the hell out and start comically rolling around. Unfortunately, this made it clip through my main base, which is now permanently full of water. The bugs in this game are kinda killing it for me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Davethulhu posted:

I tried to play the game as unspoiled as possible, and am now enjoying watching the occasional streamer play.

This guy has been playing for at least 50 hours, has lost 5 sea moths, and has been on the brink of finding kyanite for at least 10 hours. The seamoth losses have apparently traumatized him to the point where he spends 90% of his travel time in the prawn suit. As such, he's still eating fish exclusively, and as far as I can tell has never built a grow bed or plant pot. He also ignores chat, which lately is a lot of people mocking his gameplay decisions.

What should I be doing for food in the late game?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Pot or growbed with your choice of fruit, either Lantern fruit or marblemelon. But I dont see anything wrong with just carrying the thermoblade and making meals on the go.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

Pot or growbed with your choice of fruit, either Lantern fruit or marblemelon. But I dont see anything wrong with just carrying the thermoblade and making meals on the go.

Yeah the thermoblade's been doing it for me. Haven't yet found an area where I can't easily chase down a couple fish.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

I spent most of my travel time in the cyclops, and I was using 4 pots with bulbo trees in the area behind the bridge. I'm aware that there might be better plant choices, but it worked fine for me.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Where do people set up their first permanent base? The shallow waters around the escape pod is pretty tough for the Cyclops to navigate through

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Jay Rust posted:

Where do people set up their first permanent base? The shallow waters around the escape pod is pretty tough for the Cyclops to navigate through

The deeper areas at the edge of the shallows are basically ideal. The area near Pod 17 (and the Jellyshroom Cave entrance there) is also great for a first base.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

John Charity Spring posted:

The deeper areas at the edge of the shallows are basically ideal. The area near Pod 17 (and the Jellyshroom Cave entrance there) is also great for a first base.

Yeah I've been enjoying the Jellyshroom Cave area. No major predators, lots of good materials around there and once you get power transmitters it's easy to get thermal power going. The whale sounds are endless, though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Jay Rust posted:

There's two thermal vent areas that I've had bookmarked in my head forever as good first base locations. South near the jellyshroom entrance and north where shallows meets kelp meets the grassy plains.

I tend to go with the north one because it's easier access to the aurora/koosh/floating islands zone.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 16, 2018

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Away all Goats posted:

Marblemelon is a lovely choice due to engine bugs. Use chinese potato instead.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Yeah the thermoblade's been doing it for me. Haven't yet found an area where I can't easily chase down a couple fish.

The reason people say to grow plants for food is because they provide water too (bulboa tree is better than lanternfruit because of this). So basically you can top off your food and water for no cost every time you return to your cyclops/base without consuming any resources.

endlessmonotony posted:

Marblemelon is a lovely choice due to engine bugs. Use chinese potato instead.

What engine bugs? I've never had a problem with them. I've got them in wall hangars all around the cyclops.

Chinese potato is garbage, not enough water quality, Bulboa tree is better.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

GlyphGryph posted:

What engine bugs? I've never had a problem with them. I've got them in wall hangars all around the cyclops.

Using knives to harvest can glitch out your base.

EDIT: If you do plant bulbo trees or marblemelons, don't plant them in a room you can't easily deconstruct because it's in the middle of your base.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Marblemelons aren't great because you have to harvest them with your knife and that can cause problems. Chinese potatoes don't have that problem.

GlyphGryph posted:

Bulboa tree is the only plant that gives acceptable water now ever since they nerfed the fruit.
I usually forget that you Bulboa's are even edible though so I grab a lantern and chinese potato. Eat potatoes and top off my hunger with lanterns, then stick the rest of the potato plant in my bioreactor (after replanting of course.)

When I've got an alien containment set up I gradually migrate to salted reggies and big filtered waters though. Can't be beat.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Marblemelons give perfectly acceptable water. Bulboa also needs to be harvested with a knife, so if that's the problem it's a problem for both. I've never had problems with either, though.

endlessmonotony posted:

Using knives to harvest can glitch out your base.

EDIT: If you do plant bulbo trees or marblemelons, don't plant them in a room you can't easily deconstruct because it's in the middle of your base.

Oh, I've never planted food, like, inside a base. It's either in the cyclops or outside the base. Maybe that's why I've never run into any bugs.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

John Charity Spring posted:

I wound up using this too, set myself up on top of one of the grassy plateaus for some solar power. Plenty of resources nearby in the kelp forest and jellyshroom cave, easy access to Grand Reef and beyond, without being too far away from the central areas. Plus the whale sounds are actually kinda nice. I just finished my first run and boy howdy that trek into the volcanic depths was fun.

I think someone mentioned a mod utility a few pages back. Are there any mods worth checking out? I'd love a Cyclops that looks a bit less silly.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jay Rust posted:

Above Lifepod 2 is the "least backtracking" option. Build it just deep enough to grab both thermal and sunlight.

There's a route to the endgame and a fast travel spot right next to it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I think a base at both gun and floater island, each with their seamoth, is great. Probably the fastest way to traverse the surface map for a good chunk of the game! Although floater island is pretty resource poor - there's not really much reason to be out there most of the time from what I can tell.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

GlyphGryph posted:

I think a base at both gun and floater island, each with their seamoth, is great. Probably the fastest way to traverse the surface map for a good chunk of the game! Although floater island is pretty resource poor - there's not really much reason to be out there most of the time from what I can tell.

Directly below floater island are thermal vents, deep reef entrances and a lot of shale. You need depth upgrades to build if you aren't turbosperging it, though, and it has warpers.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
In my current game I just build a first base with all the plants and other nice looking stuff just west of the starting area where it slopes down to the kelp. Big enough for two moonpools and the cyclops to park between the ridges while also looking nice. Then it's just outposts with plants for food and power along with storage lockers to stuff things in between excursions.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jay Rust posted:

grand reef is the best base location

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

endlessmonotony posted:

Directly below floater island are thermal vents, deep reef entrances and a lot of shale. You need depth upgrades to build if you aren't turbosperging it, though, and it has warpers.

Yeah but what of that is worth anything. Gun island has plenty of shale and, more importantly, the thing you want shale FOR.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can enemies actually damage your base? Cause it'd be funny to build a base right next to the big ghost and have it not be able to do anything about it.

uftheory
May 30, 2003

resistentialism posted:

There's the weird thing where you can see the island if you're shallowly submerged, too. That sure got my attention.

This is how I first found the island - I saw it through the waves before it was visible above the water. Bug or intentional feature?

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Internet Kraken posted:

Can enemies actually damage your base? Cause it'd be funny to build a base right next to the big ghost and have it not be able to do anything about it.

Nope, but they can damage it if they're attacking you and hit the base instead. Effectively, if you're not swimming around, enemies don't know you're there.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Fano posted:

Maybe hardcore mode is a holdover from when they had plans to make this game proc gen, would make sense.

A lot of the game seems to be holdovers: hardcore, the hunger system, much of how crafting works...

The game might be more significant for showing how to do underwater environments, like how Infiniminer led to Minecraft which led to Terraria and Factorio. First person, neutrally buoyant (ascending can be faster than descending but the character shouldn't do either without input) 3-axis movement with a sustained forward boost (the seaglide), colorful environments, lean into horror (scale, openness, darkness, things you can hear but not see, being vulnerable from at least 3π square radians instead of 1.5π radians)

I could see an underwater Elder Scrolls-like where you do quests for mer people, or a Metroid Prime-like where you explore cave/ruins and collect upgrades, or a Mincraft-like that leans into the sandbox elements.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So one thing I'll say about this game that might be somewhat controversial is that I don't really like the music. Its okay sometimes and there have been a few really good moments, but in general I think its way to intense. The music is at its best when it is more subdued and leaning itself towards ambience. A lot of the tracks have this problem where they start out mellow but then quickly drop into fast-paced action scifi tracks. That doesn't really fit with me lazily swimming about gathering sea shrooms.

Basically I wish it had music like this, which I consider the gold standard for underwater scifi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnC85I3wneg&t=667s

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Davethulhu posted:

I haven't watched much of him playing because it's so frustrating, but I've learned a lot from what I have seen. Watching streams of Subnautica in general has been frustrating just because of how harder people make it for themselves by intentionally avoiding doing basic poo poo, best example I can think of is not building any sort of habitat until you find a scanner or multipurpose room, thus missing the fact that you can put all the basics in a tube and save hours of ridiculous inventory management with water lockers. However he takes it to another level. He's thorough at exploring, but he's so focused on following the ground that he misses blatantly obvious and visible things like not finding the tree in the lost river despite finding the area dozens of hours ago. Literally being afraid of going below 1200m when he's got the 1300m depth upgrade. Never actually trying to use and become familiar with the grappling arm and thus assumes you can only manuever the prawn in areas where you've got ledges to get up and down. Finding the floating island and only searching the area with the gate, then ignoring it and never going back for something like 30 hours. Never looking at his build options to realize he can build reinforcements instead of foundations, although he did eventually look at bulkheads. Literally trying to build a scanner room with the image clipping over a foundation and spending 5 minutes confused as to why he couldn't build there. Trying to build a tube off a multipurpose room wall that has a water filter on it but chalking it up to not being able to build on a diagonal, despite having built on a similar angle on the same room and on his screen as he's trying to build this one.

I like the guy and have even been subbed to him in the past because he plays a lot of management style games I like but dear god I didn't think it was possible to be so intentionally ignorant in a game, let alone this one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you wanna see some incompetent play watch Vinny, who has apparently played this many times in beta but has still managed to drown in the shallows three times now

https://www.twitch.tv/vinesauce

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Internet Kraken posted:

If you wanna see some incompetent play watch Vinny, who has apparently played this many times in beta but has still managed to drown in the shallows three times now

https://www.twitch.tv/vinesauce

Haha I was just about to make a post about this. When I opened the stream he was at 0 water and was cutting down creepvine for the +1 water eating it gives you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Character limit was too small to name my rocket the Aluminum Mallard, a name worthy of a space hero of my particular quality.

Worst feeling in the game that isn't glitch related is probably that awkward stage of feeling like you need to go deeper than you can, to be allowed the privilege of going deeper.

So I figure one of each max depth module is more exciting than some ion batteries, to go along with the Prawn kit of Grapple, Drill, and Jumpjets (because gently caress having to U turn back home or kludge together a base, just to build your sweet jumpjet upgrade).