Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I just made a multiclass Commander/Ranger, and I'm really hoping it works out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Signal posted:

I just made a multiclass Commander/Ranger, and I'm really hoping it works out well.

Commander multiclasses well with most things so you'll be fine. I recommend taking the multiclass feat and one of the talents that gets you CP from something besides a standard action, then go heavy on dailies with just some cheap CP abilities. You'll want to attack only as a ranger but have enough CP for three rounds.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I see what you guys mean about the multiclassing, but I don't think she's gonna want to change things now. We can still go a different route and adapt things between sessions if it proves to be too much. I'm not above just giving a rogue the Spelljack thing for the same cost if that's how the concept works better.

We went with Herbalist and Druid's Wolf Companion for the Druid. I also privately decided the ranger got kicked out of forestry academy for playing with matches. Witch Hunter is an academy mage who hunts other mages that "become too powerful and shame the academy"; I instantly thought "well those are obviously sorcerers, they get power from the Three and the Lich King and stuff, no academy is gonna stand for that." Gave me a neat, if obvious, idea for a recurring sorcerer enemy so that's totally fine.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Wizard / Rogue isn't a powerhouse, but it can work. Just encourage them to pick dailies from wizard and ration those with rogue attacks. Maybe also waive the non-warrior damage reduction if he's feeling weak. 13th age is balanced so you don't need to char-op anyway.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Mr. Prokosch posted:

13th age is balanced so you don't need to char-op anyway.

Didn't seem to stop you from making Jack.

Content: I'm working on the anime-inspired thing that -Fish- is doing, and we're pretty happy so far, but that's far enough away that we wanted to do a smaller project in the meantime. Right now we are working on what's tentatively called Forgotten Heroes of the 13th Age, featuring new hot takes on stuff from 4e D&D previous F20 iterations, including such iconic classes as, uh, the Assassin, Battlemind, and Cavalier. OK, if you actually played those classes in 4e you know they aren't great, but considering how well my Seeker turned out I'm comfortable saying that what we've got will end up a significant improvement on the source material.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I see what you guys mean about the multiclassing, but I don't think she's gonna want to change things now. We can still go a different route and adapt things between sessions if it proves to be too much. I'm not above just giving a rogue the Spelljack thing for the same cost if that's how the concept works better.

Rogue with Spelljack sounds cool. Also check out the Spell Scrolls in the Book of Loot and consider giving her access to a an academy mage that's selling her those under the table. Then when they run into a troll she can pull out a deck of stolen spells or a copied spellbook and throw the odd magic trick.

1st level spells cost like 50 to 150 depending on how available and legal you're making the spell. The most expensive 9th level spell is 500 go RAW and there's not much to spend money on anyway. Maybe have a Fantasy Q that's also selling options, oils and magic ammo.

Edit: a re-read reminded me that scrolls are typically for rituals but if you're moving talents around selling combat and utility spells shouldnt be that big of a leap.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

13th Age Glorantha PDFs are now scheduled for release next week. More than a little overdue, but I'll take it.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

So in addition to backer PDFs going out next week, the 13th Age twitter just confirmed that Chaosium is intent on putting out pre-orders for 13th Age of Glorantha and the Glorantha Sourcebook the following week.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

And the 13th Age Glorantha PDFs are up for backers!

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Any idea when people who didn't back the Kickstarter will be able to get it?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Looking at the appendices now and I'm mildly annoyed at ignoring Lanbril in the Rogue writeup.

Now tempted to rectify this.

Janana
May 17, 2009

Diamondbacks Baseball: Injuries and Futility R Us

Zarick posted:

At a guess? Soon(tm).

In the next week or so, methinks.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
According to the Kickstarter, 13th Age in Glorantha was supposed to ship close to 3 years ago. Without digging through years of status updates, is there a general reason why it's been delayed so long?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Duct Tape posted:

According to the Kickstarter, 13th Age in Glorantha was supposed to ship close to 3 years ago. Without digging through years of status updates, is there a general reason why it's been delayed so long?

ProfessorCirno posted:

My 13th Age game started and ended before that goddamn Glorantha book came out.

I have no idea why and it's honestly pretty baffling, because at least around these forums, feelings for 13th Age have cooled significantly since then. Going on essentially a three year hiatus is not typically a great idea for your publishing line.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

13A is a good game that gets old after you play one or two campaigns in it. It's not bad, and it's a hell of a lot better than d20, just the setting isn't anything exciting and it really would've done well with something like Glorantha a lot sooner.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Duct Tape posted:

I think it was in part because Chaosium massively reorganized under new management (essentially old management in some ways) and there was some negotiation before the Moon Design crew, who were dealing with the 13th Age people, joined up. I imagine that would slow development of a game a bit.

Also the intro says the book became twice as large as they expected it to be, that also adds time.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 13, 2018

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

ProfessorCirno posted:

I have no idea why and it's honestly pretty baffling, because at least around these forums, feelings for 13th Age have cooled significantly since then. Going on essentially a three year hiatus is not typically a great idea for your publishing line.

TO be fair, they did publish other stuff in the meantime- Bestiary 2, a couple books of Icon Encounters, the GM screen/resource book, plus the book of demons is apparently on the way?

But a lot of folks were waiting on 13G.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

unseenlibrarian posted:

TO be fair, they did publish other stuff in the meantime- Bestiary 2, a couple books of Icon Encounters, the GM screen/resource book, plus the book of demons is apparently on the way?

But a lot of folks were waiting on 13G.

Yeah I think the delay was on the Chaosium/Moon Design end

Plus don't forget about their long-rear end playtests.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Zarick posted:

Chaosium tells us they plan to make pre-orders available later this month. It'll also be available on the Pelgrane store.

Duct Tape posted:

Y'all have it right: Rob acknowledged that it took them longer to design and develop it than they planned. He posted on the Kickstarter in November 2016 when he turned over the final manuscript to Moon Design/Chaosium. After that there were delays in production due to the massive changes at Chaosium (including dealing with all the stuff that led to those changes). To help speed things up Rob took over a lot of those responsibilities, which slowed down the release of other 13th Age products.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Going on essentially a three year hiatus is not typically a great idea for your publishing line.

It is NOT, and it's a huge relief to have the logjam un-jammed.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

My wife just rolled up her character for our group's Glorantha game and it's so great I had to share it.

She's rolling a Dragonewt Rebel (using the Dragonspawn race) who was kicked out by her people because every time she died and was reborn she emerged from her egg more human-y instead of more dragon-y. They figure she owes someone an enormous debt, or owes debts to a lot of people, and that's what's holding back her enlightenment so drastically. Also they figure maybe she's just really sick, and that poo poo might be contagious, so she gotta go.
She's picked all the most in-your-face, scrappy options that will put her in the way of the most harm possible 1000% of the time since death is even less of an inconvenience to Dragonewts than it is to your average Joe Glorantha Hero.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
According to the latest update, PDFs will go up for non-backers this weekend.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I can say this.

The trickster class? I want to play it myself.

I don't want to GM it ever.

Three talents to start, but after EVERY FULL HEAL UP, you lose one and gain another one.

Yes, it's random which one you lose, and which you gain.

And they do horrible twisty things to fate and karma, for example, if one of your allies rolls a 1-3 on attack roll or save, you can take a 1 on your next roll or do something impressively dumb, like running full tilt into a stone wall, to have them reroll the attack or save.

Then there's this talent:

Dumb Dumb
Once per battle when an enemy misses you with a melee attack or close-quarters attack, you can have the enemy immediately reroll the attack as if it had been its own target instead of you. When you use this power, you become vulnerable to all other attacks for one round (usually the end of that enemy’s next turn).

Adventurer Feat: The enemy is now also vulnerable until the end of its next turn. It might even crit itself.
Champion Feat: Now you can also use Dumb Dumb against an enemy’s ranged attack.
Epic Feat: You’re no longer vulnerable after using this power.

I can imagine being the GM who has to figure out how a Dragon breath hurts the dragon, but not you.

It's not a happy feeling.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Ask the player what it looks like, I don't see that part as troublesome at all?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Just like making someone laugh while they drink a soda, the dragon sends the fire down the wrong plumbing.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

PDFs of 13th Age Glorantha and The Glorantha Sourcebook are up for sale on Chaosium.com
Both provide you a digital coupon after purchase which discount the cost of the PDF from purchase of print copy when it's released.

https://www.chaosium.com/glorantha-1/

Frost Ace
Oct 26, 2010
Does anyone know how the bard's jack of spells talent interacts with the wizard's utility spells? Can you just choose "utility spell" and get access to them all?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Frost Ace posted:

Does anyone know how the bard's jack of spells talent interacts with the wizard's utility spells? Can you just choose "utility spell" and get access to them all?

Yes, or at least, this is how I've played it in the past, and is suggested in the official designer Bard builds I've seen.

Frost Ace
Oct 26, 2010
That makes the bard way cooler then. Thanks!

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Its also like the thousandth most powerful thing you can do with Spelljack.

Its a really powerful talent that gets better as more spellcasting options are released.

There's nothing stopping you from taking the Cleric or Wizard summoning spells. Or that Necromancer buff that like doubles your HP at low levels.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Tootin' on my own horn here, but I had a chance to talk with Rob Heinsoo on my podcast about 13G. It was a really fun interview, where we discuss this history of Glorantha as a setting, what the differences between 13G and 13A is, the Runes as gods, and WHY ARE THERE HUMANOID DUCKS?!

Here's the link if you want to listen in browser

If you want to search on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or the like, just search for BJ Shea's Geek Nation. It's the latest interview. It's also on the radio.com app.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

En Fuego posted:

Tootin' on my own horn here,

That would be Uranus, Rev.

quote:

but I had a chance to talk with Rob Heinsoo on my podcast about 13G. It was a really fun interview, where we discuss this history of Glorantha as a setting, what the differences between 13G and 13A is, the Runes as gods, and WHY ARE THERE HUMANOID DUCKS?!

If you want to search on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or the like, just search for BJ Shea's Geek Nation. It's the latest interview. It's also on the radio.com app.

I listen from time to time but had no idea you were a goon too.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Myrmidongs posted:

That would be Uranus, Rev.

I listen from time to time but had no idea you were a goon too.

Yep, for a while now :)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Has anyone run or played in the organized play adventures? And more specifically, has anyone used them outside of organized play and just made one or two big marathon sessions out of one? I'm thinking about giving them a go for my group, we meet around once a month for 5-6 hours of playing time and it'd be great if we could squeeze one of those in every time, and at the moment I'm a bit unconvinced by my own planning/designing skills.

e: just realized a few of them are designed for only two short sessions, that's perfect, and I have no qualms about adapting them to different levels.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 7, 2018

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I’ve played in some organized adventures at GenCon, they seemed decent enough, but those have been my only exposure to the system.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

En Fuego posted:

Tootin' on my own horn here, but I had a chance to talk with Rob Heinsoo on my podcast about 13G. It was a really fun interview, where we discuss this history of Glorantha as a setting, what the differences between 13G and 13A is, the Runes as gods, and WHY ARE THERE HUMANOID DUCKS?!

Were you the goon that had Rob gm a game with an autistic elf because that was the funniest poo poo ever and sold me hard on that game.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

algebra testes posted:

Were you the goon that had Rob gm a game with an autistic elf because that was the funniest poo poo ever and sold me hard on that game.

Yup, which is like the first thing Rob brought up in this interview.

For those that don't know. Friend made an autistic elf that wanted to build a wooden rocket ship. Hilarity Ensued™

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You want to go into more detail there or is the point the Inherent Hilarity of Autistic People?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I can only imagine it being something like http://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/sword-elf-cyoa/

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Mr. Maltose posted:

You want to go into more detail there or is the point the Inherent Hilarity of Autistic People?

Yeah, this is something you probably want to actually go a bit further on, because right now it mostly just looks like you're laughing at autistic people for existing, which is, let's go with, "not cool."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, this is something you probably want to actually go a bit further on, because right now it mostly just looks like you're laughing at autistic people for existing, which is, let's go with, "not cool."

Since it's completely out of context, I can understand how you feel that way.

Here's a link to all of the podcasts that involved with it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KbjUzjkCIgbszTAUa9gWHeSWDDIzeyqz

The Special 2 is the start of the podcast in which Greg talks about the character. Part one at 4m in he talks about Duncan Cleave, the autistic wood elf.