Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Stewart looks like a grown up Dennis the Menace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sunswipe posted:

They should have at least used those looks in an alternate reality episode. Maybe the one where Q gives Picard the chance to change history so he never got stabbed by a Klingon. It turns out that not having that experience leaves him a boring, cautious man, but with a lustrous head of hair. Picard must choose between his career and the bitching mullet he's always wanted.

I don't know, I think him being bald and being so low ranking made it for me. It's like he just oozed "loser."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was an episode that did a flashback to Beverly Crusher's husband dying and they gave Picard an in the process of balding wig.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
The episode where Worf started jumping through alternate realities probably had one of the Picards with a rad mohawk. That's as believable as Wesley being a command staff officer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Then in Star Trek Nemesis they did a stupid thing where they had a picture of "young" Picard that was Tom Hardy to make you believe it was a clone, except for some reason young Picard was completely bald. Normal Picard isn't completely bald.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

muscles like this! posted:

Then in Star Trek Nemesis they did a stupid thing where they had a picture of "young" Picard that was Tom Hardy to make you believe it was a clone, except for some reason young Picard was completely bald. Normal Picard isn't completely bald.

Patrick Stewart was born bald so it checks out

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I am deeply saddened that we were denied Jheri Curl Geordi.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DrBouvenstein posted:

sings *Soul Glow*

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Patrick looks like Aaron Eckhart

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

Star Trek Nemesis : they did a stupid thing

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DrBouvenstein posted:

Jheri LaForge, cmon man

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Oh Christ, it's Barclay's dad.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

He doesn't even look bad with the wig, I'm inclined to say it just looks weird because we're used to him without hair (they made the right choice dumping it though).

I've never seen that picture of LeVar Burton before. That wouldn't have aged well, but I kinda wish they'd stuck with it.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

catlord posted:

He doesn't even look bad with the wig, I'm inclined to say it just looks weird because we're used to him without hair (they made the right choice dumping it though).

It was for a flashback episode, not the pilot like people like to claim. Look at the righthand side of his head.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I saw Patrick Stewart in Anthony and Cleopatra once and for some reason they'd put him in a toupee. It was very distracting.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

catlord posted:

I've never seen that picture of LeVar Burton before. That wouldn't have aged well, but I kinda wish they'd stuck with it.

I agree, but you don't have to take my word for it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

easy motherfuckin G

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

Kunta Kinte: The Rollerdisco Years

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

knife_of_justice posted:

I was going to write "His name is Toby!" But I couldn't bring myself to do it. Especially considering it's black history month. 😂😫

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Werong Bustope posted:

I saw Patrick Stewart in Anthony and Cleopatra once and for some reason they'd put him in a toupee. It was very distracting.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

knife_of_justice posted:

"His name is Toby!"

There ya go KM.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

You can't fool me; that's Richard Gere.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I, Claudius is a classic, but some aspects of it I do not think aged well with how far women have progressed.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

get that OUT of my face posted:

I can't think of anything specific, but many South Park episodes that focused on what was the news event or celebrity of the moment have probably aged badly.

That's when I think South Park when WAY down hill and I quit watching. The early seasons where there wasn't a current social topic as the focus of the episodes were by far the best. My favorite episode is definitely when they travel to Aspen. So many funny jokes in that one. A couple of more recent episodes that I did find good where the ones where aliens traveled through a portal. Brought up the illegal immigration issue which as relevant if not more relevant today. The other one was the High School Musical episode.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of the Comedy Central episodes of Futurama (the iPhone / Twitter parody one) has a subplot where Leela has an intelligent boil called Susan who sings show tunes with her. It's odd how that dates the episode more than any of the social media stuff.

Easily one of the worst episodes of Futurama. And when it transferred to Comedy Central....there were quite a few poor episodes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Easily one of the worst episodes of Futurama. And when it transferred to Comedy Central....there were quite a few poor episodes.

I always liked Leela best when she was being threatening, like when she had the surgery to add a second eye to her face and starts dating her Doctor, and when seeing what an rear end in a top hat he is decides she was better before and asks/tells him to remove it. "Listen Buster, by the end of the day, one of us is going to have one eye!" is such a good line.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Leela kinda reminds me of Lana from Archer; on paper they're kind of the 'grounded, sensible woman' archetype to balance out the wacky and corrupt manchildren they're paired with, but they really just turn out to be a different, often scarier kind of crazy from the rest of the cast, which still plays off them well, especially since they're both among the most physically formidable people on the show.

Fry and Leela definitely played the 'will they or won't they' card way too long and too much, though it seems their relationship can actually work; mostly that Leela can actually relax and enjoy Fry's company, while she seems so high-strung around everyone else. (Archer and Lana are... another story)

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Futurama is on syfy now apparently. I caught a couple of episodes while working the nightshift at my job. It was astounding how much faster the jokes came in original series episodes compared to the comedy central series. The writing budget was a small fraction of what it used to be and it really showed.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Leela kinda reminds me of Lana from Archer; on paper they're kind of the 'grounded, sensible woman' archetype to balance out the wacky and corrupt manchildren they're paired with, but they really just turn out to be a different, often scarier kind of crazy from the rest of the cast, which still plays off them well, especially since they're both among the most physically formidable people on the show.

Fry and Leela definitely played the 'will they or won't they' card way too long and too much, though it seems their relationship can actually work; mostly that Leela can actually relax and enjoy Fry's company, while she seems so high-strung around everyone else. (Archer and Lana are... another story)

Archer might be a special case because everyone in the main cast is a nutjob.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Samuringa posted:

Archer might be a special case because everyone in the main cast is a nutjob.

Well, yes, just that Lana is a different kind of nutjob, mostly in that she still convinces herself she's doing the right thing.

I do like the flashback scene where she's holding the paint bucket for a bunch of Fur Is Murder protesters when Malory walks out of the boutique and pulls a revolver on them, and all of the protesters flee but Lana, and Malory hires her on the spot.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah CC Futurama was a definite drop in quality, but sometimes they were still able to knock lines out of the park. Like the episode with the rapidly evolving robot planet, where the robo pterodactyl grabs Fry and he shouts "this is a really cool way to die!!" As he's carried off.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The time travel episode was good. "That Fry's dead now" was a drat fine line.

rodbeard posted:

Futurama is on syfy now apparently. I caught a couple of episodes while working the nightshift at my job. It was astounding how much faster the jokes came in original series episodes compared to the comedy central series. The writing budget was a small fraction of what it used to be and it really showed.

I watched every episode as it aired, both original and zombie series.

But I've caught a bunch of the later episodes on youtube and had absolutely no memory of them at all. They were just that forgettable.

There were a few laughs, to be sure, but mostly it was just a sad, pale echo.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Gorilla Salad posted:

But I've caught a bunch of the later episodes on youtube and had absolutely no memory of them at all. They were just that forgettable.

There were a few laughs, to be sure, but mostly it was just a sad, pale echo.

This applies to post-Season 10 Simpsons as well. Except, y'know, I've actually seen all of the CC Futurama episodes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard that The Simpsons has been reasonably good for the past few years after a long stretch of being terrible but I haven't seen enough new episodes to know whether that's accurate or not.

I liked that episode set 20 years in the future, where Bart and Lisa sit in their old treehouse and wonder whether or not they've been good parents and there's a "time passes" sequence related via family Christmas photos.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Caught an episode of Married with Children this morning where Peggy had to get a job because Al wouldn't buy her a VCR (that's dated by itself) and she's talking about an episode of Oprah she's missing. The topic? "Transgender people - which bathroom do they use".

Ouch.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah CC Futurama was a definite drop in quality, but sometimes they were still able to knock lines out of the park. Like the episode with the rapidly evolving robot planet, where the robo pterodactyl grabs Fry and he shouts "this is a really cool way to die!!" As he's carried off.

Everything I hear about the CC Futurama makes me glad that I never picked it up. I own the original seasons plus the first two movies and saw the other two on Netflix (The Beast with a Billion Backs was horrid), and I feel that's just a satisfactory end for me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked that episode set 20 years in the future, where Bart and Lisa sit in their old treehouse and wonder whether or not they've been good parents and there's a "time passes" sequence related via family Christmas photos.

The sad thing is that episode is 3 or 4 years old now. The problem with the Simpsons is that it has one or two decent enough episodes per year, that's enough to keep the faithful satiated and telling everyone that it's good again (it's not).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

The sad thing is that episode is 3 or 4 years old now. The problem with the Simpsons is that it has one or two decent enough episodes per year, that's enough to keep the faithful satiated and telling everyone that it's good again (it's not).

I feel like you can take any season from peak era Simpsons and start each episode expecting it to be good and it's a disappointing surprise when it isn't, whereas in the subsequent years, you start an episode expecting it to be disappointing and then it's a pleasant surprise when it's good. :v:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Iron Crowned posted:

Everything I hear about the CC Futurama makes me glad that I never picked it up. I own the original seasons plus the first two movies and saw the other two on Netflix (The Beast with a Billion Backs was horrid), and I feel that's just a satisfactory end for me.

I finally got around to watching the new Futurama episodes and... eurgh.

I can't remember the plots of more than a handful of them, and I have no interest in rewatching any of them. This is from someone who has watched the original episodes dozens of times over the years.
They are boring, unfunny AND they've done weird things to Leela and Amy as fan-service - suddenly they are super best friends who are actually really catty to each other, 'cos that's women for ya! They spend a noticeable amount of time in their underwear too.

:sigh:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Caught an episode of Married with Children this morning where Peggy had to get a job because Al wouldn't buy her a VCR (that's dated by itself) and she's talking about an episode of Oprah she's missing. The topic? "Transgender people - which bathroom do they use".

Ouch.

I thought we were still having that debate because people care entirely too much about keeping women and children safe from those icky transpeople :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Iron Crowned posted:

My metric for the Simpsons is the Treehouse of Horror Test.

It's the one episode a year when they can do anything and go all out.

If that's not funny, there's no point watching the rest of the season.