Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Jimmy Carter posted:

has there been anyone doing a Branch Davidian-style “hacker compound” in the mountains above Los Gatos yet? There’s still a bunch of land I see and it’s like 30 minutes to San Jose

well holy city was up there looking for buyers until 2016 when the sciti's snapped it up... missed your chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Heaven's Default Gateway

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
jamestown

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

we're all james down here - we're all james! and when you join us you'll be james too!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

we're all james down here - we're all james! and when you join us you'll be james too!

i can't wait to drink the soylent!

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
mods please rename everyone in yospos "jimbo" or some variation thereof tia

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

jimbo is reserved for the most shameful of james: a james who exhibits a pattern of wronging other jameses

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
my mind is boggling

https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/963889577474719744

Authored by state Sen. Scott Wiener, D-San Francisco, Senate Bill 827 would provide zoning concessions and exemptions from local regulations for "transit-rich housing projects," which are defined in the bill as residential developments within a half-mile radius of a major transit stop or within a quarter-mile radius of a high-quality transit corridor. Qualifying projects would not be subject to limits on the maximum number of units, minimum parking requirements or maximum height limitations.

Wiener's new bill comes at a time when the Palo Alto City Council is trying to roughly triple its housing production, in part by revising the local zoning code to give developers incentives for building housing. But despite the Palo Alto's recent push on housing, officials are raising concerns that the Wiener bill would actually hinder the city's efforts.

:thunk:

also lol

The council's opposition is not, however, unanimous. Councilman Adrian Fine, author of the memo spurred the creation of the Housing Work Plan, said that he disagrees with the dissent. He also said he is disappointed in the process that led to the drafting of the letter, with he said caught him by surprise (the council had not had any extensive discussions about the Wiener bill before the letter was drafted and sent out).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

um just btw reminder that palo alto "tripling" its housing construction is aiming to go from 100 units per year to 300, where something like 10x that is needed to meet demand

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also scott wiener is a real mixed bag. it seems like every time i read something about him my attitudes flip.

for instance, he got a bill passed that requires all san francisco employers to provide paid parental leave, regardless of gender. that's good!

but then he got another one through that closes the parks here at night, which was supposedly to prevent vandalism, but really just makes it easier to arrest the homeless. that's bad.

he started a bill to require california government documents to include a non-binary gender option on all forms. that's good!

but he sponsored the sugary drink tax that unfairly targets poor-person drinks (soda) while exempting rich person drinks (sweetened coffee and tea products). that's bad!

i still don't know what i think.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

qirex posted:

jimbo is reserved for the most shameful of james: a james who exhibits a pattern of wronging other jameses

:shudder:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

qirex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX3X2QT_6Vs

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

also scott wiener is a real mixed bag. it seems like every time i read something about him my attitudes flip.

for instance, he got a bill passed that requires all san francisco employers to provide paid parental leave, regardless of gender. that's good!

but then he got another one through that closes the parks here at night, which was supposedly to prevent vandalism, but really just makes it easier to arrest the homeless. that's bad.

he started a bill to require california government documents to include a non-binary gender option on all forms. that's good!

but he sponsored the sugary drink tax that unfairly targets poor-person drinks (soda) while exempting rich person drinks (sweetened coffee and tea products). that's bad!

maybe, like with all things, the truth is in the middle.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

sounds like he consistently supports things that rich white democrats like, including harming the poor through indirect shame

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beast of Bourbon posted:

maybe, like with all things, the truth is in the middle.

unfortunately you can't vote for "the middle", mr. parker

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

now that i think about it he sounds like the ideal representative for san francisco - a bunch of surface-level progressive things plastering over systemic harm to the lower class

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
noted bloodsucker peter theil is taking his ball and heading to LA, because evidently the bay is too progressive for him

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ate all the Oreos posted:

sounds like he consistently supports things that rich white democrats like, including harming the poor through indirect shame

now that i think about it he sounds like the ideal representative for san francisco - a bunch of surface-level progressive things plastering over systemic harm to the lower class

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

downside of representative democracy

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

infernal machines posted:

noted bloodsucker peter theil is taking his ball and heading to LA, because evidently the bay is too progressive for him

also LA has lots of fresh blood coming in weekly

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
im surprised thiel didn't live there already considering its ol' musky's location

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

iawtp

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

scott weiner also sponsored the bill to ban public nudity in sf outside of special events

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the only weiner he wants to see is in the mirror

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it was rich gentrifiers who bought houses in the castro and then started complaining that there were gross old naked dudes near the muni station so now it's gross old almost naked dudes

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
don't worry, they'll eventually push all of them out so the castro will literally be a historically lgbtq district

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lancemantis posted:

don't worry, they'll eventually push all of them out so the castro will literally be a historically lgbtq district

there's one gay bar left on polk, which was the city's original gay district

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

san francisco is a bummer. whats the cool west coast city now (dont say portland)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

my bitter bi rival posted:

san francisco is a bummer. whats the cool west coast city now (dont say portland)

sacramento

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

graph posted:

sacramento

the omaha of california

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lancemantis posted:

the omaha of california

ew.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

infernal machines posted:

the only weiner he wants to see is in the mirror

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

my bitter bi rival posted:

portland was alright while i was there and wasn't totally hosed yet so there's still time, maybe

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

portland isn't totally hosed yet but it's well past its peak and if you moved there now you'd just get to watch it slowly get worse

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

come to pittsburgh- the portland of appalachia

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think qirex was the one who posted the original most-san-francisco thing overheard at the ferry building: "my doula makes the best kale chips"

my personal most-san-francisco thing i've seen was while i was waiting outside a parking garage. a guy in a $100k tesla pulled in, parked in the non-ev space beside a $20k nissan leaf that was using the EV charger, hopped out, looked around for a second, then unplugged the leaf and stuck the cord in his own car and walked away. superficial eco-conscious liberalism while actively loving over anyone less well-off than yourself

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

trick question gentrification and changing demographics have probably ruined city life for a few generations barring some sort of mass exegesis back to the suburbs,.. im moving to chile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Sagebrush posted:

i think qirex was the one who posted the original most-san-francisco thing overheard at the ferry building: "my doula makes the best kale chips"

my personal most-san-francisco thing i've seen was while i was waiting outside a parking garage. a guy in a $100k tesla pulled in, parked in the non-ev space beside a $20k nissan leaf that was using the EV charger, hopped out, looked around for a second, then unplugged the leaf and stuck the cord in his own car and walked away. superficial eco-conscious liberalism that belies the loving over of anyone poorer than yourself

Did you put it back