Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

FFT posted:

RetroArch is bad

all i want to do is play original NES SM3 with infinite lives but no, can't enter in cheat codes directly, have to create a file with the cheat codes in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FFT posted:

RetroArch is bad

gently caress this media center bullshit

i've got to hit F1 to get to the menu because Escape just hard exits with nary a prompt and i had to look up how to bring up the menu while a game's running

all i want to do is play original NES SM3 with infinite lives but no, can't enter in cheat codes directly, have to create a file with the cheat codes in

and then that permanently crashes the game and ruins the save states and gently caress it, i'm starting over with a different emulator

i'm sure there are solutions to these issues but i don't care any more i want SNES9X-level functionality not all this nonsense

http://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/spend-80-snes-classic-can-install-emulators-raspberry-pi-never-shut-gently caress/

As true as ever.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

yeah maybe if we both hadn't been talking about how bad it sucked you total diarrhea abortion of a person

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Retroarch is great with a Steam Link and a 360 pad. Also the CRT filters look good with older pixelly games on a big TV.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

FFT posted:

RetroArch is bad

I just use a separate emulator for every system because I can't deal with RetroArch's bullshit. To be fair, I haven't tried it in several years since I don't really mess with emulators like I did when I was younger.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
More personal than a problem with the game, but every time I try and get into Hearthstone, I screw something up pretty badly because I'm used to how Magic: The Gathering plays. I'm sure I'd get used to it if I actually decided to play more than once in a blue moon and annoyance-quit because oh yeah {this} is how {that} works, duh, but :effort:.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

MisterBibs posted:

More personal than a problem with the game, but every time I try and get into Hearthstone, I screw something up pretty badly because I'm used to how Magic: The Gathering plays.

This is completely unrelated but are you the guy who basically finances the This Was Rad podcast?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

One of the huge knights I "just run past" hit me through the fog door, knocking me down for O&S to finish me off.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Byzantine posted:

One of the huge knights I "just run past" hit me through the fog door, knocking me down for O&S to finish me off.

:darksouls:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Vic posted:

This is completely unrelated but are you the guy who basically finances the This Was Rad podcast?

Yeah, but it sounds so skeevy when you put it like that :) Favorite podcast, bar none.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

MisterBibs posted:

More personal than a problem with the game, but every time I try and get into Hearthstone, I screw something up pretty badly because I'm used to how Magic: The Gathering plays. I'm sure I'd get used to it if I actually decided to play more than once in a blue moon and annoyance-quit because oh yeah {this} is how {that} works, duh, but :effort:.

Hearthstone is... not super great all told, and I honestly wouldn't bother with it. It's super loving grindy to be able to get a competitive deck without dropping fat stacks of cash on the game. If you want a more MtG-like card experience, try out Eternal Card Game instead, it's really good! And you can be ladder competitive nearly out the gates with how goddamn generous it is with it's card packs.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah, but it sounds so skeevy when you put it like that :) Favorite podcast, bar none.

Why skeevy I mean it's a small podcast, they're dependent on people who really like it for donations. Good stuff thanks for doing that. Sorry for offtopic.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Convex posted:

Retroarch is great with a Steam Link and a 360 pad. Also the CRT filters look good with older pixelly games on a big TV.

I went with Nestopia--which works exactly how I want it to--and using the NTSC filter at 3840 x 2160 is something special, let me tell you

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Byzantine posted:

Sorry to hear that, slowbeef.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Byzantine posted:

RareAcumen posted:

Sorry to hear that, slowbeef.

Beaten, but I got the gif!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

I had similar problems going from dark souls to bloodborne because they changed the controls just enough for me to repeatedly kill myself in stupid ways for the first couple hours I played.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Beaten, but I got the gif!

Anyone got the reddit posts where they accuse slowbeef of either A Glitching this or B Setting up the camera to "fake" it?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Leal posted:

Anyone got the reddit posts where they accuse slowbeef of either A Glitching this or B Setting up the camera to "fake" it?

Wait that didn't happen to everyone at least once?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It’s definitely happened to me in a different place, but idiots everywhere rush to defend any slight against Dark Souls so that isn’t surprising.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leal posted:

There's a handful of them.

RyokoTK posted:

It’s definitely happened to me in a different place, but idiots everywhere rush to defend any slight against Dark Souls so that isn’t surprising.

My favorite Dark Souls thing regarding fog gates is how mad some people got that you couldn't backstab people going through them anymore in 3.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My big gripe with Dark Souls is Undead Burg is kinda boring. Good for learning how to handle small groups and so on but given how creative the games have gotten it's thematically drab.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

My big gripe with Dark Souls is Undead Burg is kinda boring. Good for learning how to handle small groups and so on but given how creative the games have gotten it's thematically drab.

Eh, you need some "normal" starting areas to contrast the serious weirdness later on.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I really like Undead Burg because I can start with any build and steamroll it, compared to when I started the game and no matter what I tried, it would kick my rear end three ways to Sunday.

Contrasted with Tomb of the Giants or Crystal Cave which are visually impressive but can still kill me no matter what I use because they're unfun as hell to play.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Simply Simon posted:

I really like Undead Burg because I can start with any build and steamroll it, compared to when I started the game and no matter what I tried, it would kick my rear end three ways to Sunday.

Contrasted with Tomb of the Giants or Crystal Cave which are visually impressive but can still kill me no matter what I use because they're unfun as hell to play.

Speedrun TotG all day erry day. Seriously. Watch a speedrun and learn. There's only a couple of tricky parts, and you'l be surprised how incredibly SMALL that area is once you learn the run.

Of course woe unto thee if you want the Large Divine Ember. You're in for a poo poo show no matter what getting that thing.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

quote:

If you're going to try to fight a boss with little to no health after aggroing a room of mobs in dark souls.... you're gonna have a bad time.

Wait are there actually people who killed those giants every single time? Cause that would have made me hate Anor Londo even more than I already did.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

"aggroing a room of mobs"

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

HaB posted:

Speedrun TotG all day erry day. Seriously. Watch a speedrun and learn. There's only a couple of tricky parts, and you'l be surprised how incredibly SMALL that area is once you learn the run.

Of course woe unto thee if you want the Large Divine Ember. You're in for a poo poo show no matter what getting that thing.

People don’t just run in and grab the drat thing and die? That’s what I do.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

My recent run of DS1 was to get all Achievements, and I figured I might as well also get everything else because I hadn't, like, super thoroughly explored the game before. And exploring in general is fun. So speedrunning the Tomb was out (even though I absolutely do know how to just run past everything), not that the possibility existing makes it any better...and you can still get hosed by a dog skeleton deciding to be feisty. Or the walkways being narrow at the wrong time.

The biggest issue was actually getting the Silver Serpent Ring (which is super helpful for an idiot like me who decided to not just cheat in all the Souls necessary to buy everything from the vendors), because you can see it clearly from basically everywhere, but in order to get it, you have to jump off one specific ledge that you actually cannot see the shiny in the distance below, and in fact you cannot even see that there is ground below you. I tried to do it "legit" because "I know Dark Souls well by now!", I cleared out the entire area of fuckers that might annoy me and tried to find the jump, but I could not do it. Spent half an hour wandering the pitch blackness until I threw my hands up and looked for a video. That is the one completely indefensible thing down there for me (I hate the darkness and the dogs too, but I accept that there's people who like the oppressive atmosphere): that jump is bullshit, and it peeves me specifically because, as I said, generally I like exploring. For other absurd purely platform-related things, see "getting the Avelyn", "the Blue Titanite Slab...twice" (Magic AND Enchanted for the Achievements) and "NG++ means having to kill Bed of Chaos twice".

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Simply Simon posted:

having to kill Bed of Chaos twice".

I never got the Bed of Chaos hate. I mean, you just need to avoid randomly swinging attacks that blast your character around even if blocked, while navigating pits that aren't always visible until you get close to the...

oooohhhhh

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I never got the Bed of Chaos hate. I mean, you just need to avoid randomly swinging attacks that blast your character around even if blocked, while navigating pits that aren't always visible until you get close to the...

oooohhhhh

Also because the entire area is locked behind a palette-swap demon, and generally constructed from a number of placeholder components and tech-test assets.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

All of which will be dutifully copy pasted into the remaster, just like scholar of the first sin

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Der Kyhe posted:

Also because the entire area is locked behind a palette-swap demon, and generally constructed from a number of placeholder components and tech-test assets.

Don't you be talking trash about Dragon rear end. The best enemy in the game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I gotta say though, I got one of my best co-op moments in DS with the Bed of Chaos recently. I was in NG+ and had reached the final Bonfire before it, turned Human to bait Kirk's invasion (I had missed his second one on NG and of course I want his poo poo), and what do I see but a summon sign? I didn't need anything online to happen, so I hadn't even fired up DSCM - that was a plain and simple "matchmaking actually working as intended" moment, truly beautiful. And that in loving Lost Izalith in 2018! Even though the player was named something like DarkSummoner69 (steam tag changed to protect the innocent), I simply needed to know what was up.

Some guy with a Demon's Great Machete and otherwise unremarkable Elite Knight stuff, fatrolling as you do, we greet each other nicely and proceed through the zone. Kirk invades and gets his poo poo kicked in, so everything is fine, I guess it's terrible boss time then?

We slide down, and now it's time to test his mettle - I point right, he sprints with no hesitation and I go left. Nice! I take out the weak point, cutscene plays, and literally a second later he takes out his weak point. Nice! We're in the final phase with no danger to anyone. Now to get to the middle without dying somehow...

...I get the message that he died. I feel bad, but I really cannot blame him. Walk slowly and carefully, but I don't get hit at all, he must have distracted the boss and she's still hitting his corpse. Carefully dodging the pits that suddenly crumble open, I find an actually kinda lenient path from the left weak point to the middle, check out what the boss is doing - nothing! - and go for it. I nail the jump and smoothly sail to the end. My first Bed of Chaos kill ever without dying to some bullshit, and if I don't remember wrong, without even getting hit.

Still felt bad for the guy because he did indeed die to some bullshit, I found out just for this occasion how to add recently matched players on Steam and friended him.

Turns out he's also German-speaking, so we could have an easy chat, and after he apologized for "not being much help" (awww) I ask him what the gently caress he was doing with his sign up in Lost Izalith. His response? Clearing out the dragon asses one by one, "might as well put my sign down".

:patriot: that's dedication to cleaning up, friend. I could not be prouder and feel a little inadequate.

I totally cleared them all out in my first playthrough. This is his fifth, he said.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

My recent run of DS1 was to get all Achievements, and I figured I might as well also get everything else because I hadn't, like, super thoroughly explored the game before. And exploring in general is fun. So speedrunning the Tomb was out (even though I absolutely do know how to just run past everything), not that the possibility existing makes it any better...and you can still get hosed by a dog skeleton deciding to be feisty. Or the walkways being narrow at the wrong time.

The biggest issue was actually getting the Silver Serpent Ring (which is super helpful for an idiot like me who decided to not just cheat in all the Souls necessary to buy everything from the vendors), because you can see it clearly from basically everywhere, but in order to get it, you have to jump off one specific ledge that you actually cannot see the shiny in the distance below, and in fact you cannot even see that there is ground below you. I tried to do it "legit" because "I know Dark Souls well by now!", I cleared out the entire area of fuckers that might annoy me and tried to find the jump, but I could not do it. Spent half an hour wandering the pitch blackness until I threw my hands up and looked for a video. That is the one completely indefensible thing down there for me (I hate the darkness and the dogs too, but I accept that there's people who like the oppressive atmosphere): that jump is bullshit, and it peeves me specifically because, as I said, generally I like exploring. For other absurd purely platform-related things, see "getting the Avelyn", "the Blue Titanite Slab...twice" (Magic AND Enchanted for the Achievements) and "NG++ means having to kill Bed of Chaos twice".

Well there's oppressive atmosphere and then there's walking through a dark room with sunglasses on kind of darkness. It combines mazes, narrow ledges, pouncing death combo enemies + archers to make a point that no, you're not supposed to be having fun here. I have a map of every place in DS1 in my head just from one playthrough, but I don't know what that level looks like, all I know is you gotta rush through it in a specific set of steps. Yeah it's oppressive, like having someone blindfold you and then fart in your face repeatedly. The player skill check of this area is basically "But do you really wanna be playing this game?"

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Vic posted:

The player skill check of this area is basically "But do you really wanna be playing this game?"

That's pretty much true for all the post-Lordvessel areas.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Kay Kessler posted:

That's pretty much true for all the post-Lordvessel areas.

The kiln is an amazing and beautiful level, the rest not so much

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Sen’s Fortress starts so promisingly.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

People are talking about how much it sucks in the sister thread, but I'm going to bring it up here: Destiny 2's PVP is utter dogshit nonsense and a huge step down from the first game, which had better maps, game modes, and loot even at launch than D2 has six months and one expansion in.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Playing Forza Horizon 3 and it's a great game but man the amount of DLC and it's placement in the game is pretty egregious. If you just buy the game itself then you have:

Big tabs on the menu for the two DLC areas
    In-world markers for getting to the DLC areas that take you to the store
    Radio ads for DLC areas
    VIP pass ad on the menu screen
    Ad on the map screen for a treasure map
    Real cash tokens along with link to buy on upgrade / buying screens
    DLC cars interspersed with normal ones when you go to pick a vehicle
    User challenges which take you to store to buy DLC cars you don't own

Best part is that it's all loving ridiculously expensive as well. I picked up the game and Hot Wheels DLC for £19.50 and feel I got my money's worth but man I wish there was a way to switch off all this bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I can not get matchmaking to work at all in Monster Hunter World on the Xbone and it makes me sad.

Solo play is still fun so ain't to bummed out.