Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jonny 290 posted:

peep my sick rear end hamfest grab

NIB never used! still has the 3.5" and cd software

Wow so multimedia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah lol. The stock software wont even really run on win10 but i actually paid for TrunkPCR and it scans like a motherfucker, easy 20-24 channels a second

i have an icom PCR-100 too so if i wanted to get two sound inputs going on my hamtop i could do the trunking thing. as is i mainly use this to scan all the ham repeaters and a lot of VHF high and low - the mountain towns west of Denver are all parked on 38 mhz because it sucks the least deep in the Rockies

e: bonus shot of me listening to a 33cm (!) repeater this afternoon - squelch barely open but good copy

(i use an ST-2 Scantenna that I found on craigslist NIB for $20. it's loving huge but works awesome and I'm thinking of cloning it) https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/2732.html

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 10, 2018

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
That Icom's just missing the rack ears and it would be completely awesome.

Just assembled and tested a CTCSS encoder/decoder for my Icom IC-V200T (~genuine ex police~), used the AK2345 IC to do the heavy lifting and it really performs very well.
First revision attempted to do it in software on the MCU, but pretty much failed to detect anything useful.

Impressively the '2345 actually correctly detects tones down to ~10 Hz deviation with strong signals, and at normal deviation it reliably detects down to -126 dBm, far below what is really practical since the radio squelch cuts at around -118.

And of course since it's now 2018, I used a STM32 to read the 5-bit control word and bang out 4 bytes over SPI whenever the TX/RX state changes.

I really wish someone would open source a proper CTCSS decoder, all the software strategies I tried were terrible whenever there was modulation on top of the subtone, and unless I used extremely long correlators it was far too inaccurate on the frequency detection to be usable.

Icom does it in software these days on a processor far less capable then what I was using, so there's clearly some special sauce in there to work so well.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

longview posted:

That Icom's just missing the rack ears and it would be completely awesome.

AHEM that was a Product Requirement from the leadership from day one, implemented as demonstrated above in the box pic

Only registered members can see post attachments!

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Turned my SDR dongle scanner into a broadcastify stream. I like that they give you free premium if you put up a stream.

Debating whether to build a little outdoor enclosure out of pvc junction boxes for my setup but it seems to be working just fine from inside my shed.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
keep it in the shed/shack, put it in a tin can, ground it to the can, ground the can, use a balun on the antenna and put ferrite chokes on the USB cable.

Unless you're scanning microwave bands, coax loss isn't a killer (RG6 quad is just great) and you can manage computer RFI (if there is any) other ways.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jonny 290 posted:

keep it in the shed/shack, put it in a tin can, ground it to the can, ground the can, use a balun on the antenna and put ferrite chokes on the USB cable.

Unless you're scanning microwave bands, coax loss isn't a killer (RG6 quad is just great) and you can manage computer RFI (if there is any) other ways.

Roger that

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/27610

If y’all bored and like hearing about 5150 calls and old peeps having anxiety attacks.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where do I buy a tin can?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

soy posted:

Where do I buy a tin can?

They come free with beans or tomatoes usually.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Any tips on getting a dope vanity call? My given 2x3 is so hard for me to say quickly that I use NATO alphabet on local repeaters like a huge dork.

Edit: maybe I should go for Extra first.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 14, 2018

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
altoids tin should fit most rtl sticks

or just get this thing and sneak a ground lug under the locknut

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

Any tips on getting a dope vanity call? My given 2x3 is so hard for me to say quickly that I use NATO alphabet on local repeaters like a huge dork.

Easy option is 1x3 with your initials for the 3. That's what I did anyway. You can get a 1x3 as a tech too.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Progressive JPEG posted:

Easy option is 1x3 with your initials for the 3. That's what I did anyway. You can get a 1x3 as a tech too.

I got a 1x3 vanity call as a tech, and am just keeping it as I escalate through the license classes.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jonny 290 posted:

altoids tin should fit most rtl sticks

or just get this thing and sneak a ground lug under the locknut

I have two of those running my scanner. It now makes sense why they are made out of metal. I just have a big pigtail wrapped around them now but I'll pick up a ground lug soon.

I realized why things were sorta crappy, I was using my lovely duckbill for voice instead of my 800mhz antenna, once I did that and grounded things everything started decoding a lot better.

I got some stuff coming so I can put the voice antenna outside and coax back to the dongle inside.

Kinda cool having like 10+ people listening to my stream 24/7, all the weirdos on nextdoor are very happy.

http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/27610 if you want to hear about old people having chest pains and whatever.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
here's a pic of my setup because we all love pictures of radios.

gonna switch to two 6ft usb cables when they show up, I figure taking the hub out of the equation couldn't hurt. I also ordered ferrite thingies. I always wondered what those were for, now I am gonna be clamping them on everything.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

eddiewalker posted:

If you're really going to wait for your extra for a 1x2, 2x1, or 2x2, AE7Q's site helped when I was looking.

The shorter callsigns have all been used at this point, so you'll basically be going through the harvesting process if you want a 2x1 or 1x2. I'm glad I grabbed mine years ago.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I tested airspy hf+ on my laptop and having a sdr run on battery is such an improvement that it is mindblowing. I get 10+ radio stations on Medium Wave Vs NOTHING :psyduck:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

soy posted:

gonna switch to two 6ft usb cables when they show up, I figure taking the hub out of the equation couldn't hurt.

Uhhh, it's usually the opposite and a hub will let you use long USB cables. let us know if it works for you.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

What are these radio signals?

edit: lol @ airspy hf+ update procedure

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 16, 2018

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

well this escalated quickly.

the shorter USB cables work fine, I think I'll just increase the diameter a bit on the signal USB cable but otherwise I can't imagine anything I could do to tune this better.

I figure having shorter non-active cables/not having a hub just removes one more thing that could poo poo up my USB signal.

that said, it works great. Barely any errors in the decoder now.

I ordered the wrong diameter ferrite chokes but ordered some more of the right size.

e- the gui:

soy fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 17, 2018

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Be careful trying to trigger stations, I wouldn't be completely positive that no broadcast EAS receivers are tuned to weather stations.

Sorry to necro this post but this is SA 2018 and catching up to say this is a thing (!) old school analog catv systems with comb filters had these activated by fm carrier.

If you actually complied with the part 15 reg then the odds of triggering these things is about 0. Note that you do not need necessarily a dipole antenna when you can run leaky coax if you wanted to entertain such a thing at home to do in home fm audio distribution.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i lowballed a dude on ebay and now evidently i'm getting a Bullet M2 HP for $39 bucks

going to pick up a TP-Link 20db grid antenna and try to make it onto the mesh network for real

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

If it accomplishes anything other than taking up more ISM spectrum let me know

A few guys got excited about “HSMM” but I have yet to see it do anything other than exist. Some of the guys ran it for field day which seemed pointless but somewhat easier than using shielded Ethernet.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I recently let all my AMPRnet stuff lapse because I hadn't touched it. High-power WiFi experiments are the main reason I got my license but basically everything the community as a whole does seems to be focused around "meshnet" stuff.

As far as I see it the biggest problem is that what people expect out of a "mesh" network is something like Zigbee/Z-Wave, where you just put nodes in place that all have omnidirectional antennas and as long as they can talk to each other they theoretically just sort it out automatically.

The reality of course is that unless you have a neighborhood full of participants that all also happen to not have any other 2.4GHz gear dirtying the spectrum omnidirectional antennas are basically worthless. Pretty much all usefully functional implementations end up looking more like a traditional microwave network made up of point-to-point links.

Not that that's not also fun to play with, but it takes it beyond what most people are willing to do when you need to have line-of-sight directional links for every connection in your "mesh".

Also while even 10 years ago the internet would be somewhat usable over a HSMM link these days the wide use of HTTPS as a default means the actual usability of any kind of amateur radio digital network ends up being mostly to communicate internally with other hams, on a shittier version of the internet.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 27, 2018

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

wolrah posted:

on a shittier version of the internet.

Sounds like an internet where the Eternal September never happened.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

TCP applications don't work well over high latency repeater networks. Make a modern version of the VHF packet networks of the past and you're good - trouble is no one wants to make those applications.

IRC with keepslive ping/pong set up to $texas ms latency maybe. Multicast IRC better. Websockets and voip = no

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah everybody in town just wants to jerk off over VoIP, my node is up but im not even 100% im gonna leave it up.

Got solid link over 11km with a 14db patch from Microcenter tho

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Got to talking with a ham buddy about a week ago about making a custom APRS digipeater/TNC to integrate into his old pile of Icom commercial VHF rigs.
With a core written it would be pretty simple to make different PCA implementations of the same concept to fit into other radios as well.

Then I remembered that I have my own custom MMDVM board that won't be used for a while anyway, and started hacking into this yesterday morning.

This is my progress so far: it can decode and print data on APRS packets received from the classic TNC test CD.

I've got a pretty decent receiver now, it gets around 950 packets off the CD, both in the discriminator and AF mode (using different receiver filters).
DireWolf gets over 1000, but that's a far more developed piece of software and it has a lot more resources to use.

Basis is a STM32F103RE, ADC runs at 38400 Hz and the samples are decimated+band pass filtered, then further filtered at 9600 sps (using either a 6dB preemphasis FIR filter, a linear FIR filter, or a linear IIR filter) before going into the AFSK demodulator.
The actual AFSK/HDLC/AX25 parsing is based on the LibAPRS Arduino library and an old STM32 based TNC project that seems abandoned.
A DC offset + AGC system is also tacked on top to improve performance with varying deviations.

All the parts are rewritten to run a FreeRTOS tasks, with the ADC running in a circular DMA (to allow some slack on the AFSK thread timing and simplify filtering) and data flow is implemented with CMSIS message queues passing either values or pointers to circular buffers.

It also computes a CRC of each packet source, destination, and payload, that's stored in a 64 entry long ring buffer and is currently just used to print out a notice that duplicate packets were received.

I'm pretty confident that transmitting valid frames will be less challenging than decoding them, and the digipeating logic can't possibly be that complicated now that I have this framework. Probably a lot of details and testing to do, but pretty low risk.
GPS input and beaconing/tracker mode is also fairly simple, and there's libraries to process NMEA data all over the place.

The interesting part will be my idea of using the STM32 USB controller to present a couple of virtual COM ports to a computer in TNC mode, my idea is to have 3 or more COM ports for TNC (KISS or Kenwood protocol), GPS serial forwarding (in case the PC software wants it) and a command/logging interface.

Never tried to use the USB controller, but it does at least support one virtual COM port so how hard can it be to make three?

A future expansion option would be other modulation forms, 9600 would be interesting since it could be used as a Winlink digi/TNC then.

ickna
May 19, 2004

There’s a lot of capital letters strung together in there but I gather the gist of it is that you have an APRS implementation on something arduino-y and are working towards exposing multiple com ports to pass APRS packets, GPS and command/control to a computer, which is super cool.

I’ve done an igate and another digipeater/tnc project using direwolf with decent success, but the hardware I was running it on would be overkill if I wasn’t using it for other projects too. I did the igate with an RTL-SDR dongle passed through to a Linux virtual machine on my desktop, and the digipeater/tnc was a portable project for my car running on a raspberry pi and a hacked together interface for a USB sound card + baofeng HT and a USB GPS unit dumping geolocation info to GPSD to be picked up by a second pi over wifi with a display running Xastir. How difficult would your project be to simplify that raspberry pi setup, or what’s the possibility of working it in to a stand-alone igate using something like an ESP8266 and skipping direwolf entirely? I realize that doing any kind of SDR dongle setup is impractical with these microcontrollers but an analog audio setup with an interface cable to an HT might work. It would be pretty cool to be able to drop a self-contained ESP/Arduino + cheap rear end baofeng based igate in a friend’s attic to fill a gap in local coverage, or let it run in my car and beacon automatically over VHF and a mobile hotspot as I’m rolling down the street without having to go through a full linux boot on a Raspberry Pi and python scripting to glue it all together.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
There’s an APRS library for Arduino, and ESP devices can be programmed with the arduino IDE. No idea what the processing load is, but it might be fun to try.

https://github.com/markqvist/LibAPRS

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I’d like to build a reverse igate and local map display package for our club too to upgrade uiview32 to something less old and crap.

Last I looked my other option was the javaaprs project and that looked less friendly.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

ickna posted:

There’s a lot of capital letters strung together in there but I gather the gist of it is that you have an APRS implementation on something arduino-y and are working towards exposing multiple com ports to pass APRS packets, GPS and command/control to a computer, which is super cool.

That's right, I'll be trying to get the USB stuff working pretty soon.

eddiewalker posted:

There’s an APRS library for Arduino, and ESP devices can be programmed with the arduino IDE. No idea what the processing load is, but it might be fun to try.

https://github.com/markqvist/LibAPRS

LibAPRS uses some AVR specific features to set up interrupts and sampling etc. It won't even run on an Arduino Due (I tried to get it running there to verify my own version).
It also uses some avr-libc includes for atomic fifo updates.

That being said it wouldn't be enormously complicated to port to non AVR architectures, the only real hardware requirement is the ability to run the ADC+DAC off a relatively precise timer at 9600 Hz.
There's no doubt that an ESP has enough processing power to run the modem.

Partycat posted:

I’d like to build a reverse igate and local map display package for our club too to upgrade uiview32 to something less old and crap.

Last I looked my other option was the javaaprs project and that looked less friendly.
What about a web based solution? It's likely to be the least crap...

I don't know if the aprs.fi software stack is available, but I've had Polaric Server running in the past.
There's also ways to locally cache maps so it can run offline locally.
It's used by http://aprs.no and the new version http://test.aprs.no

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Turns out the STM32 HAL makes it dead easy to make a serial COM port, and Windows 10 even has a generic driver that auto-loads for devices with the right type ID.

It also turns out that the STM32 CDC layer is very specifically written to support one (1) serial port, so a lot of hacking was needed to make two ports work at all.
For reference, it's possible to make a composite device with multiple serial ports work on both Windows 10 and Linux using IADs, but only Linux will tell you what part of the device descriptor is messed up when it doesn't work.

Still not done expanding the various high level interfaces to support more than one device, but at this time my dev board will enumerate as two devices and it's possible to use one at a time.
In loopback mode only the first device actually works, the second one corrupts the data when transmitting.
There's also some weird issues with opening the second port when the first one is active that will need some looking in to.

Making progress!

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I am at 60% towards my license. Math is boring and necessary.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

http://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2014-no-nonsense-tech-study-guide-v20.pdf

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I purposely ignored the complex impedance part of the Extra exam and double-crammed on the other parts, acknowledging that i'd blow that part out
I passed first attempt
I also ended up needing to learn every single equation that i'd skipped on that complex impedance section after about a year or two of Extra hamming, just in the course of my daily fiddlin's

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

I purposely ignored the complex impedance part of the Extra exam and double-crammed on the other parts, acknowledging that i'd blow that part out
I passed first attempt
I also ended up needing to learn every single equation that i'd skipped on that complex impedance section after about a year or two of Extra hamming, just in the course of my daily fiddlin's

Goddamn no-code extras! :bahgawd:

*buys $15000 rig and tower, does LSB ragchews and nothing else*

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

*gets extra license to bitch about Obama*

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
in 2006 or whenever it was i hurriedly signed up for the last Extra exam given before they dropped the 5wpm req, and I used my 1991 CSCE as proof of the latter element, and didn't have the paper and neither does the FCC, but i just checked the "yeah im a tech with code" box and boom Brag Time Extra lol

to be fair i can still bang it out at about 10-13 these days just fine but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

to be fair i can still bang it out at about 10-13 these days just fine but still

:ck5: