Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/964002456417030144
Leaving yourself without any room or leverage has some consequences, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/964002456417030144
Leaving yourself without any room or leverage has some consequences, apparently.

Yyyyyup.

But don't you dare question the Democratic leadership's messaging or strategy!:argh:

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Majorian posted:

Yyyyyup.

But don't you dare question the Democratic leadership's messaging or strategy!:argh:
Not when you can write off the entire electorate, instead.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonnyc/status/963907128850296833

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonnyc/status/963912005731147779

Christ that’s cringe inducing

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

mike pence, a superhero
presumably with electrical powers, zapping gays until they're on the right path

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
gently caress me sideways, the amount of spin it takes to make Pence's cold shoulder passive aggressive bullshit into a 'super heroic 14th dimensional ultra chess diplomacy move' needs to be studied by science. We've got to be coming up against some barriers of physics with this stuff.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
@adamjohnsonNYC is a pro tier twitter follow imo

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Frankly the more countries that side step us the better, regardless who is in power.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
St. Louis democrats trying to crush their left/BLM supporting wing:

https://twitter.com/BethLynch2020/status/963973429522288641

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
It’s a hilarious story: both rice and nehlen were democrat committeemen and the council picked nehlen for that open seat. Rice then runs as an independent on the ballot and crushed nehlen despite the endorsement of the mayor and almost every city democrat in power. A small clique of elected progressives backed rice and went canvassing for weeks before the special election.

Now that the establishment has been wounded they want to prevent this from happening again by expelling anyone from the party who endorses someone other than the handpicked candidate for office.

St. Louis democrat politics is divided into 3 camps right now: legacy black and white political machines centered around a handful of crooked as poo poo families and a growing group of progressives who are mostly transplants from other parts of the country.

Rice’s Ward is one of those areas undergoing high levels of gentrification from non-native St. Louis types.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
The changes they're proposing are fine IMO, in principle - compare what happened here with Tony Blair and other centrist Labour members making GBS threads on Corbyn in the run up to the election in the UK last year. If party members are endorsing and campaigning for whoever they want - even against the party's candidates - then it's not much of a political party at that point.

The real problem here is that this committee chose someone who clearly was not the preferred candidate of the people, and that the process was rather undemocratic where they weren't allowing various supporters of the other candidate to speak. So in that regard it's rather a lot different than the Labour example, and I can certainly understand why Rice just said "gently caress it, I'm running anyway".

Quite a gamble as well - imagine if she'd lost.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

B B posted:

What I am saying is: this tweet will age incredibly well.
Was this the same bill?

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/15/immigration-daca-senate-412459

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I'm not sure this is the best place for this question, but what is the general consensus on some more common media sources on the left?

Majority Report (Sam Seder)

Chapo Trap House (Fair to group them all together?)

Intercepted (Scahill), (Greenwald)

Pod Save America (Fair to group them all together?)

The Young Turks

Any essential listening/watching that one should consider?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Pod Save America is not left. They're salesmen for Obama.

Michael Brooks Show is decent and I like it.

Katie Halper Show.

Street Fight Radio if you want a couple of good natured midwestern Anarchist Dads pissed about stuff.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I will admit I was more excited about beginning listening to Pod Save America when I thought it was Jon Favreau the director, not Jon Favreau the Speechwriter

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

duodenum posted:

I'm not sure this is the best place for this question, but what is the general consensus on some more common media sources on the left?

The Young Turks

Intercepted in terms of deep dives into stories is the best. But just to clarify, other than subbing for Scahill once or twice, Greenwald has nothing to do with it.

I say this because there's a bunch of people who somehow the intercept is all greenwald, when the reality is that while he was one of the founders, nowadays he is just a columnist.

Pod save America is essentially centrist democrats who have been really careful to cultivate an image as outsiders. It's good if you want to see the centrist spin ahead of time, not so much of you want careful analysis.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 16, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Citations Needed is a good podcast that's mostly news/politics talk rather than Twitter drama and irony humor.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I used to listen to 'Counterspin' by Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting and it was good. Would recommend

'Democracy Now' is also available in podcast format

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Motto posted:

Citations Needed is a good podcast that's mostly news/politics talk rather than Twitter drama and irony humor.

Yeah this was a huge blunder on my part. I would say that Citations Needed is the best left podcast in terms of pure analysis. It's top tier and if you gotta pick one, pick this one.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

duodenum posted:

The Young Turks

mic dicta
trillbilly workers party
hell of a way to die

pod save america is garbage

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

duodenum posted:

I'm a big fan of the Majority Report, and an even bigger fan of its spin-off, the Michael Brooks Show. I listen to it pretty much every weekday, and even when Sam has a long, boring interview on a topic that I don't give a poo poo about, I always learn something valuable. Plus the "fun half" callers are always great.

I haven't listened to Redirect (by frequent Majority Report caller Ronald Ray-Gun), but it's about immigration law, so you know, timely.

Chapo, of course, is insanely good.

I listen to Pod Save America to get a handle on what the Democratic Party consultant class and leadership is thinking, although I disagree with them on a lot of poo poo. The whole "United States of Care" thing was pretty terrible, though, so I may stop listening.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Chappo is good. Did you really need to ask?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

duodenum posted:

The Young Turks

The Majority Report is a solid good listen. Rarely amazing, rarely bad.
Chapo Trap House are some good boy failsons who talk some right nonsense.
Intercepted is actually very good if you can get past the cringe inducing intros. Just skip past them, they're the worst.
Pod Save America is the adventure of consistently wrong Obama Staffers trying to rationalize how their now dead legacy of doing the bare minimum was actually the right thing to do.
The Young Turks are not worth mentioning anymore.

Citations Needed as said, is the best for serious topics.

If you want some other ones, Struggle Sessions is a lefty popular culture podcast and while isn't amazing, might be your thing.
Reel Politick is the UK version of Chapo, except back when they had bad audio. They make up for it by occasionally singing half decent songs. If you don't care about UK politics the entire show will be near incomprehensible but I still highly recommend their review of when Jackie Chan fights the IRA and also for you to just go learn What is the hard left, Chris?
No Cartridge is Videogames with lefty chat. It's the only videogame podcast I've found even vaguely bearable so that's a recommend I guess?
Trash Future is another Chapo-Esque UK show but less focused on UK Politics and more on just how everything is hosed in general. I have no idea if the US finds our politics as amusing as we find yours, so this may be pissing into the wind even mentioning them.
Street Fight is just two guys rambling about stuff, but they're fairly lefty and it's kind of good? Just go listen to Street Fight I can't explain it.

Fans fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 16, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I’m not a big podcast person, but Current Affairs is a pretty good written publication if you find Jacobin to be overly stuffy.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I just follow this thread

Good enough for news and crap

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I appreciate all the feedback, thanks gents.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Nick Mullen, the director of the DSA, has a great podcast too

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Bodega Boys is a good one focused on pop culture and both the hosts have a left-wing bent. Politics proper doesn't usually come up, but its great for getting cool takes on things you wouldn't hear about on normal politics podcasts. Their VICE show, Desus and Mero, has a lot more politics content if that's what you're looking for, though.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/mercnews/status/964165155775893504

lol nothing matters

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I just drove by the Merc's former building and it's being turned into a server farm. Kind of poetic.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/danpfeiffer/status/964256281396572160

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/964336277385564160

the Dems are a waste

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
One nice thing about the PSA bros is that at least the grift is explicit. They are not making money on the back end as a consultant after fundraising for some dem org. They are upfront in charging 100 bucks to get you to listen to them telling you to maybe donate 5 bucks to your local candidate.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Chapo is great and makes me laugh, but Citations Needed is the low key pro tier listen, I've probably learned way more from listening to CN than any other leftist podcast.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DrNutt posted:

Chapo is great and makes me laugh, but Citations Needed is the low key pro tier listen, I've probably learned way more from listening to CN than any other leftist podcast.

Yeah, I'm listening to their welfare episode right now, and it's a really great nuts-and-bolts look at how it's been racialized. Obviously I knew the broad strokes of it, but it's good to have a step-by-step overview.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

They do not have a podcast, but The Real News has been operating for over a decade, and their videos both cover current news and left wing history in the US, I find them quite informative.Here's the first of several segments titled "Undoing the New Deal:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N60joKW174

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

What a worthless piece of poo poo, seriously.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Huh weird that this purity test is totally fine but ones the leftists have are bad. Also weird that once again Bernie is getting heat from these types of people for stuff other conservative Democrats are much worse on but are never held accountable for. Weird.

The Clintons were the worst thing that ever happened to the Democratic party. Between Bill's garbage presidency that lurched the party to the right that society is still paying for and Hillary's Rovian campaign strategies where she slanders her opponents and their supporters creating itra-party divisions based on bullshit that couple needs to be sent off on an ice flow. If Obama had either lost to McCain or lost to Hillary in the primary and she lost to McCain I am quite sure that Obama would be facing similar bullshit based on crap from the 2008 primary, but he was so charismatic and his presidency was so scandal free that people didn't care about 2008 election drama.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
What’s really weird is that Sanders’ fans can’t just say “yeah that was a mistake but he’s on balance billion times better than neoliberals”

• Locked thread