Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Nice Neophytes.

Anyone at WHW this weekend for the GT heat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Kit-bashed together an Autarch Skyrunner - just need to smooth a few areas and I'll be able to paint her up

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Geoff Zahn posted:

Anyone have some input on this? Wanna get my friend addicted to plastic crack asap.

Harlequins are fast, but I agree that you're gonna need to put them in Starweavers to get them to where they need to go. Plus, they're open-topped, so you can fire fusion pistols out of them.

Playing around with the points: if you drop all 3 Voidweavers and swap them for Starweavers, you can add an extra fusion pistol in each Troupe, and your dudes suddenly are really fast, are protected by a layer of vehicle and perform drive bys all night long.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Scouts are cool, use the Scout Biker heads or Scion heads and you'll have some good looking minis. Alternately, go the pro route and use Chaos Warrior helmets with the horns carved off:

Those look awesome! Reminds me of the scary-looking special ops forces from random European nations.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Boon posted:

Kit-bashed together an Autarch Skyrunner - just need to smooth a few areas and I'll be able to paint her up

Looks good. I too enjoy a Bloody Mary while I convert.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

JackMack posted:

thats a candle homie

Sadistic Hamster
Jan 1, 2005

I recently got back into this game and had a couple questions regarding CSM. I decided to go with Khorne as the Chaos god my dudes worship, that was a simple choice. What I don't get is the different legions. I recently bought Zhufor, terminator World Eater lord from Forge World and figure sure I'll go World Eaters. But I also have Abaddon the Black who is Alpha Legion. Can Abaddon the Black be a World Eater just for the sake of simplicity. I also bought a Fire Raptor Gunship, can I just paint that like my Khorne worshiping dudes or does that have to be something different like Abaddon(who I don't think can be a World Eater). Can I even use Zhufor and Abaddon at the same time?

Hopefully that makes sense. I used to play 2nd edition and things just seemed more straight forward back then.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Abbadon is the leader of the Black Legion, not the Alpha Legion. Special characters have to stay their legion, but regular units can be from any Legion. There's no reason you can't run your guys as Khornate Black Legion, as they get Khorne Berserkers and everything. Just use Zhufor as a Terminator Lord.

You could even get little cheeky and make up a subgroup of the Black Legion, say the Hounds of Abbadon, who you paint in a hybrid of Black Legion and World Eaters, then play them with World Eaters rules unless you're taking the big man himself, which you then use as Black Legion.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

JackMack posted:

that's what i thought, too

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Hello!

This will, hopefully, be the last time I am bugging people about my Scions list for a while! This is my first time making an army for the hobby and I want to make sure I have the list part down before I start using glue and paint! This list comprises three "Start Collecting: Tempestus Scions" boxes that I hope to buy over the weekend. Because of that, I tried to keep my Plasma Gun limit down to three since I won't have access to anymore for the time being. I also added some extra Scions to the squads since I'll have some leftover guys. Not sure if that is a good decision or not, but that's why I'm here!

I mentioned a few posts back that I'll be primarily playing against my friends in narrative campaigns, two of whom are going to have Chaos armies. One of these friends is making an army of Tzneetch demons and wants nothing to do with vehicles, so I attempted to make this list more "shooty" than maybe some other (better) armies are.

Going forward I hope to buy some air cover, tank support, and maybe a 10 man squad with 4 meltas in it so that I can take advantage of the extra wounds and with the cover save, cover strategem they may actually last more than one turn!

Anyways, thanks so much for reading this far!

The list (975/1000 points):

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [45 PL, 975pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Gametype: Narrative

Regiment: Millitarum Tempestus

+ Dedicated Transport +

Taurox Prime [6 PL]: Storm Bolter, Taurox Gatling Cannon, Two Hot-shot Volley Guns

Taurox Prime [6 PL]: Storm Bolter, Taurox Battle Cannon, Two Hot-shot Volley Guns

Taurox Prime [6 PL]: Storm Bolter, Taurox Gatling Cannon, Two Hot-shot Volley Guns

+ HQ +

Tempestor Prime [3 PL]: Chainsword, Tempestus Command Rod

Tempestor Prime [3 PL]: Chainsword, Tempestus Command Rod

+ Elites +

Militarum Tempestus Command Squad [3 PL]
. Tempestus Scion: Meltagun

Militarum Tempestus Command Squad [3 PL]
. Tempestus Scion: Hot-shot Volley Gun

+ Troops +

Militarum Tempestus Scions [5 PL]
. 6x Scion: 6x Hot-shot Lasgun
. Scion w/ Special Weapon: Hot-shot Volley Gun
. Scion w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
. Scion w/ Vox-caster: Hot-shot Laspistol, Vox-caster
. Tempestor: Chainsword, Plasma pistol

. 5x Scion: 5x Hot-shot Lasgun

. 5x Scion: 5x Hot-shot Lasgun

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Unless Chaos has ynnari style limitations for characters, cant he just run Zhufor/world eaters and Abbadon/Khorne Black in separate detachments?

Seems weird if Abbadon of Chaos Undivided is picky about his allies.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Neurolimal posted:

Unless Chaos has ynnari style limitations for characters, cant he just run Zhufor/world eaters and Abbadon/Khorne Black in separate detachments?

Seems weird if Abbadon of Chaos Undivided is picky about his allies.

He absolutely can, but you will need to do some detachment wrangling, and part of what makes Abbadon good on the table top is his buff aura, which mostly applies to Black Legion.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Nifara posted:

He absolutely can, but you will need to do some detachment wrangling, and part of what makes Abbadon good on the table top is his buff aura, which mostly applies to Black Legion.

Buff aura nothing, what makes Abaddon good is his 12' Fearless bubble which applies to ALL chaos anything. So yeah, stack that 30 man Bloodletter unit, gently caress the haters.

Thanqol fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 16, 2018

Sadistic Hamster
Jan 1, 2005

Thanks for the information dudes. I'm hoping to finally be done putting together my start collecing Khorne demons box this weekend so I can resume painting finally. It was ridiculous, every single little piece had a mold line. Been at it for weeks now.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Thanqol posted:

Buff aura nothing, what makes Abaddon good is his 12' Fearless bubble which applies to ALL chaos anything. So yeah, stack that 30 man Bloodletter unit, gently caress the haters.

Oh poo poo yeah, I'd forgotten that was all chaos. Abaddon is the KING.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Because of that, I tried to keep my Plasma Gun limit down to three since I won't have access to anymore for the time being.
Getting extra plasma guns is trivial though:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Plasma-Guns

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Oh nice, I wasn’t aware of that. Thanks!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Sadistic Hamster posted:

Thanks for the information dudes. I'm hoping to finally be done putting together my start collecing Khorne demons box this weekend so I can resume painting finally. It was ridiculous, every single little piece had a mold line. Been at it for weeks now.

No problem, it's easier to understand if you consider each detachment in your army as its own normal army in a combined force. If the detachment is pure X faction then it will usually be eligible for the faction stratagems and rules.

Like for example, if someone has an imperium army with one detachment of Sisters of Battle and one of Imperial Guard, the sisters can use their Acts of Faith (lets a SOB model shoot/move a second time or heal a model) while the guard can use their Regiment Orders (lets a captain buff all nearby guardsman in a certain way for a turn). Usually the two cant overlap though (ie Acts of Faith unusable on Guard, Regiment unusable on SOB).

For Chaos this means you can use anything from Chaos Daemons to Chaos Marines to the special chapters like 1k Sons or Death Guard, so long as they get their own detachment.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 16, 2018

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
What if your chaos marines and you summon some deamons? Are those new deamons part of your chaos marine detachment? Or are they separate?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

the moose posted:

What if your chaos marines and you summon some deamons? Are those new deamons part of your chaos marine detachment? Or are they separate?

Summoned stuff doesn't affect detachments.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Corrode posted:

So I can keep all my detachment bonuses and strategems as long as all of my daemons are summoned using reserve points?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

So I can keep all my detachment bonuses and strategems as long as all of my daemons are summoned using reserve points?

Indeed.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yes. This is basically the way to use demons in a chaos marines force without having the add additional detachments.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Corrode posted:

Got a link to that? It's not immediately apparent from the core rules. As soon as they're summoned, the detachment would no longer contain just X, but X and Daemons, so would lose Legion traits. Couldn't find anything obvious in the Daemonic RItual rules either.

e: Will check the matched play rules on another tea break.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Milotic posted:

Got a link to that? It's not immediately apparent from the core rules. As soon as they're summoned, the detachment would no longer contain just X, but X and Daemons, so would lose Legion traits. Couldn't find anything obvious in the Daemonic RItual rules either.

e: Will check the matched play rules on another tea break.

The only source I can find on a quick scan is the Tyranids FAQ:

"Q: If a new unit is added to an army – for example as a result of the Sporefield or Call the Brood Stratagems – is it part of a Detachment?
A: No."

There's a couple of rules in there which have general application but don't seem to have been added to the general FAQs. It's one of the poorer bits of version control in 8th.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Corrode posted:

"Q: If a new unit is added to an army – for example as a result of the Sporefield or Call the Brood Stratagems – is it part of a Detachment?

There's a couple of rules in there which have general application but don't seem to have been added to the general FAQs. It's one of the poorer bits of version control in 8th.

This is the key bit, there doesn't need to be a specific ruling on this because they're not in the detachment. There's nothing in the rules that says they join the detachment so, by default, they don't - they just hang out with the other stuff on the table. It doesn't break the detachment because nothing forces them to be part of it.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Corrode posted:

Thanks for the quick response. Hmm, ok, I'm not fully convinced. Daemonic ritual refers to being treated as reinforcements though. I'll try to go through the things more thoroughly tonight. I'm interested because it does massively change the calculus on summoning, but might lose me some friends.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

If you have an army with a single detachment with every single troop slot filled, can you summon a unit of Bloodletters? Yes, because the summoned units do not belong to any detachment.

Summoned units are still reinforcements, so you need the spare points to bring them in.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JackMack posted:

Thanks! Hoping to get some paint down this weekend.

Quick question for the thread regarding scheme. My army is white and green with black underarmor areas (can be seen on the Eldar pic in the OP). My Farseer runs a white bike with green accents and rose patterns. This fits my vehicles which are about 50/50 white and green.

So if I flip this a bit and give my Autarch a green bike primary, will that be too clashing? I'm thinking the canopy will be green with some wide white stripes (which may have roses running inside) then the back part white with green accents.

The reason is because I'm starting to shift how I do my white, which along with black, are the only two colors which are not blended in my army. I'd like to start blending the white into a light grey on the 'dark side'

Boon fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 16, 2018

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Nifara posted:

Yes. This is basically the way to use demons in a chaos marines force without having the add additional detachments.

That said, Chaos Daemon detachments have their own bonuses (and can add to your CP count) and summoning has some big downsides (additional Perils potential, denial, etc.). It can work and is flavorful, but it can bite you (that’s Chaos!).

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
sweet. I hadn't tried that yet, but now it's going to happen. Hope my friends like facing down Bloodletters!

Speaking of which, on a CAMPAIGN-RELATED NOTE, We've completed round 4 of the campaign! This was the first round we had to hand out auto-losses for non-participation, since one of our guys couldn't play. Still, things are going well, and everyone is excited to start Round 5 (there are 6 rounds in Phase 2 of the campaign).

Here's the current standings:
- Tau (8 pts, 4-0)
- AdMech (5 points, 2-1-1)
- BuffaloChicken's Genestealer Cults (4 points, 2-2)
- Space Wolves (4 points, 2-2)
- Eldar (4 points, 2-2)
- My Black Legion (3 points, 1-2-1)
- Necrons (2 points, 1-3-0)
- Orks (1 point, 0-3-1)

Currently, the Space Wolves have the Relic, having recovered it from a Black Legion Warpsmith's excavation team. It's an ancient artifact that radiates an intense, malevolent psychic energy.

Lessons Learned About Running a Campaign So Far
This has been a great experience so far, and I feel like I've learned a ton of new things about running a campaign that I hope to apply to Phase 3. I'll also include some notes about what I learned from Phase 1 and the Previous campaign I ran with my MD crew, for anyone interested.

- Maybe it's my crew, but there seems to be a strong preference for narrative games over strategic play. And by that I don't mean that our group are a bunch of FUCKASS FUNHAVER FUCKBOIs (though some of them are, like BuffaloChicken), but rather that almost none of the crew are interested in treating the campaign like a kind of additional game to be played. So the map-based elements, resource bonuses, and meta-strategy have met with mixed results at best, while the missions people seem to like most are the ones that just tell a specific story, like the game I did against our Tau player where we did a shadow war mission to sabotage his Tau'nar followed by an Escalation game afterward where damage done in the first game carried over. Or the mission where BuffaloChicken's Genestealer Cult were trying to capture Eldar psykers to breed Zoanthropes, but the setup was that they were ambushing a group of Eldar seeking to form an alliance with the planetary defense force, unaware they'd been infiltrated by Tyranids.

- The downside to this is you have to have someone who can basically act as a GM for the campaign. In our campaign that's me, and I'm happy to do it, but it may not be for everyone. Still, I think these types of missions have been the most fun, both in this campaign and in the MD campaign I ran, where we started to do that a bit toward the end.

- In Phase I, we played the Planetstrike campaign portion of the Planetary Onslaught campaign and had a lot of fun with it. The mission bonuses for winning and playing in sequential order were very solid, and I'd have loved to figure out a way to apply them to this campaign, but that's harder to do when you don't have the same players game-to-game.

- Have a backup plan for players who can't make it. While generally I've been giving players about 12 weeks to schedule their game per round, the holidays *really* hosed with that and some health issues led to us not getting in a round 4 game. In prior rounds, I was able to help out by scheduling an extra make-up game, but this time it just wasn't possible. This will be a bigger issue the more players you get.

- Keep winning bonuses minimal (and don't penalize the loser). They should be large enough to be significant, so you don't forget them, but small enough that they don't make the game's outcome a foregone conclusion. And you should have players know about them ahead of time, so they can plan around them. We've also been letting players build for the mission in the campaign, and I think that's the right way to do things--leads to more flavorful armies.

- When you use rulebook missions that suggest one side have more points than the other, I've found that the "sweet spot" is a 5% edge, or 5 power at the 100 power level. If you're doing a mission that gives one side free buildings/fortifications, then I'd put the larger side's bonus at 2 power per building added for bunkers, defense lines, bastions, and landing pads. Buildings are overpriced generally.

- Make your players use Doodle to plan games. I should have though of this sooner, but props to BuffaloChicken for finally suggesting it.

Finally, here's what I've got in store for ROUND 3:
The theme of this round is "Desperate Alliances," and the idea is that we'll be running 3 games, each of which is a 2-on-1:
- Eldar and Tau vs. Black Legion (me!)
- Space Wolves and Adeptus Mechanicus vs. Genestealer cults (BuffaloChicken)
- Necrons and (Merton Blask's) Necrons vs. Orks

In BuffaloChicken's game, the narrative is that the Space Wolves, while not completely trusting of the Adeptus Mechanicus on Paulus, have brought the captured relic to Archmagos Spindulus for examination, and during the process, have accidentally activated it in some way. The psychic energy of the relic acts as a potent psychic beacon for all kinds of nasty poo poo, drawing the planet's Genestealer Cults, who want to use its power to draw the Great Fleets of the Four-Armed Emperor to Paulus for Glorious Reintegration. This game will be a modified version of The Relic, with some nasty additional surprises from BuffaloChicken in the form of his first campaign game using Tyranids instead of Guard, an indication of the forward elements of his Hive Fleet landing on the planet.

In the Necrons vs. Orks game, the theme is that the Necrons, having been defeated multiple times, are in bad shape and on the run from an Ork mob. In a desperate attempt to turn the tides and secure allies, the Necron player's Nemessor (Assholetep) is attempting to awaken the slumbering warriors of another dynasty beneath the icy surface of Paulus. In this mission, there are two Necron players, one of whom is Merton Blask (of pretty light-up Necrons fame), and the non-Blask player will start with his army on the table against the entire Ork force, and by capturing objectives on the table, will be able to bring in Blask's Necrons as reinforcements/reserves. In points, the Necrons will outnumber the Orks by a significant amount, but the Orks can stop them from bringing in reinforcements by stopping them from capturing objectives.

My game is the most complicated (so far). The theme of this game is that the Eldar are desperate to make an alliance with the Tau, who so far have defeated everyone they've come up against. They've agreed to meet to negotiate an alliance. in campaign terms, an alliance gives the players a small bonus in points (5%) if they play as teammates, and lets them split campaign victory points (see the standings above) after winning games. What they don't know is that the Black Legion is tracking them, and plans to ambush them. What I've tried to do for this game is create incentives for each player to screw the other player over, but also made it important that they consider an alliance. So here's the rundown of this game:

- The Tau and Eldar players each have to bring their supreme warlord, with an army of between 500 and 1,200 points in size. Neither knows how many points the other is bringing. (They don't know how big the Chaos army will be, but it'll be around 2,000 points. I've told them it will clock in between 1,000 and 2,400 points).

- At deployment, they have to deploy their Supreme warlord and a single unit in a 6" circle in the middle of the table. Any crisis suits are deployed outside of this circle, and models are used to represent the pilots. Those models can embark in the crisis suits as though they were transports once the game starts.

- 3 objectives are placed, one in each of the Tau/Eldar deployment zones, and one in the middle of the table. Winning the game is worth 2 campaign victory points to each player UNLESS another player controls their objective at the end of the game, in which case that player scores their campaign victory points. So either alliance player can screw the other player over by capturing their objective mid-game.

- The Tau/Eldar players have 15 minutes to hammer out the terms of their alliance. During this time, either player can elect to just start shooting, and if they do, they get the first turn, followed by the other, and followed by Chaos. If they form an alliance, Chaos gets the first turn (and enters from the table edge). During this time, they'll take 3 Leadership tests.

- I have notified the Tau player that he will clinch phase 2 if he scores 13+ campaign victory points. There are 4 up for grabs in this game--2 for winning and 2 for capturing the ally's objective, but they could also form an alliance and agree to split the remaining campaign victory points they win unevenly, so if they won 8 points total in this round and the next, they could split them 5-3 instead of 4-4 and the Tau player would clinch. On the other hand, the Eldar player currently has 4 campaign victory points, so if he screws over the tau player and wins, he's suddenly tied for the lead going into the final round.

- The players will have the option of deploying as much of their forces as they want, and using hidden deployment for rangers, stealth suits, and ghostkeels. The greater the army sizes and the greater the disparity in total points, or points between the visible forces, the greater the chance someone in one of their armies will break ranks and just start shooting (there's a table of modifiers for the Leadership test). So bringing maximum size armies is a likely precursor to battle, but so is bringing too small a force when the other player brings too much!

Whew, it's a lot, but I hope that explains it in a way that people think is cool. If anyone has suggestions on this mission, I'd love to hear them, but I think I've finally gotten to a place where they'll strongly consider whether or not to ally. And even if they don't, they need a way to handle the incoming chaos force, which will be larger than either of their individual armies.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 16, 2018

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

That last game sounds insanely complicated but will probably play easier than it reads and be a lot of fun on the table.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

TheChirurgeon posted:

campaign goodness

why can't you live down the street from me?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Corrode posted:

That last game sounds insanely complicated but will probably play easier than it reads and be a lot of fun on the table.

Yeah most of the complexity is taken care of in the first 15 minutes and before the game starts, so I think we'll be OK. They're already talking a shitload about it and asking tons of questions, which is usually a good sign.

The Sex Cannon posted:

why can't you live down the street from me?

Ha, sorry man. I don't think there's much that could get me to move back to MD but we can still game whenever I'm in town. If you ever want help running a campaign though, I'm happy to help, and can put you in touch with my MD crew.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah most of the complexity is taken care of in the first 15 minutes and before the game starts, so I think we'll be OK. They're already talking a shitload about it and asking tons of questions, which is usually a good sign.

Ha, sorry man. I don't think there's much that could get me to move back to MD but we can still game whenever I'm in town. If you ever want help running a campaign though, I'm happy to help, and can put you in touch with my MD crew.

Have you watched any of the MWG campaigns? Matt basically acts as the GM for that stuff, and it seems to work out pretty well.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheChirurgeon posted:

I, too, would like friends.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Partial Octopus posted:

Does anyone know of a way that I can get fusion pistols and harelquins embraces? I've scoured ebay and nearly every bitz site that I could find and I've had no luck.

All 3 of the harlequin melee weapons are quite similar in terms of being part of a bracer with the weapon mounted on it, so they aren't too hard to convert into each other if you're comfortable with them not all looking exactly like the actual harlequin's embrace bits. Aside from the swords the harlequin weapons are much less visually distinct, so with anything that you make you aren't exactly trying to claim that a man with a powerfist actually has a sword or something.

Fusion pistols I don't really have a good suggestion though, the harlequin troupe is another annoying kit where to equip them the way you want you'd have to buy 3 of it. Blast pistols are easy enough to find if you can think of a way to alter them into something fusiony.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I, too, would like friends.

We need to play sometime. I've been looking for known non shitlords to scope out third eye games in Annapolis, which is closer to both of us than games and stuff. I stopped by and they have plenty of gaming space and seem cool.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

How about you all move to West Palm, we can play warhammer and shout obscenities at a certain limo together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
So with my tau being totally neutered so far, I’ve been looking into starting an Astra Militarum army. I love the concept of a mechanized force in which almost every squad has a chimera/taurox. I’d outfit the chimeras with double heavy bolters and get some good volume of fire out of them.
I’d like to augment with some deep striking scions. Can I give the scions a taurox prime that would start in my deployment area, then just deep strike the scions themselves? I don’t see anything in the rules requiring dedicated transport to be co-located with its unit during deployment, am I blind? It sure would be nice to have that prime as a fast anti-infantry gun platform and have the scions themselves as deep-striking tank deleters.

The nicest part of this is that the core of the army could be bought simply and cheaply with 2 AM get started boxes, and 1 Scion get started box.