Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KodiakRS posted:

Does anyone know of NTSB reports out there where the pilots were high? I know there are a bunch where the pilot(s) were drunk but those are just sad, not funny.

From The Killing Zone, pages 197-199:

ATL95FA008 and LAX96FA223

Again, just sad, not funny.

I'm curious what's going to happen in Canada after marijuana is legalized this year. Is Transport Canada going to issue guidance on it like they do with alcohol? Right now I believe the law simply states you may not act as flight crew if impaired by marijuana, but there's no minimum or advisory times specified as there are with alcohol. Realistically, the best and safest rule for pilots is probably "don't smoke any weed, you moron," but I expect some people, private pilots especially, to ignore this good advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

KodiakRS posted:

Does anyone know of NTSB reports out there where the pilots were high? I know there are a bunch where the pilot(s) were drunk but those are just sad, not funny.

Well, my buddy's wreck in Corpus a few years back. Unfortunately it isn't all that funny because he also took his girlfriend out with him. Dude was drunk and high AF though.

NTSB #CEN15FA291 posted:

Toxicological testing revealed the presence of several impairing substances, including alcohol,
opiod medication (hydrocodone), a benzodiazepine (alprazolam), as well as evidence of
withdrawal from cocaine. The pilot was likely significantly impaired by the combination of
these substances, and this level of impairment contributed to his poor decision-making, as well
as his inability to safely operate the airplane.

Toxicology Report posted:

Toxicology testing performed by AIT labs in Indianapolis, Indiana, at the request of the
medical examiner identified alprazolam at 3.0 ng/ml, its metabolite, 7- aminoclonazepam at
12.2 ng/ml, benzoylecgonine at 116 ng/ml, hydrocodone at 18.7 ng/ml, and ethanol at 0.163
gm/dl in femoral blood.
A Forensic Toxicology Fatal Accident Report was prepared by the FAA Civil Aerospace Medical
Institute. No carbon monoxide was detected in the blood (heart). 153 (mg/dL, mg/hg) of
ethanol was detected in the blood (femoral); 159 (mg/dL, mg/hg) of ethanol was detected in
the urine; and 160 (mg/dL, mg/hg) of ethanol was detected in the vitreous. N-Propanol was
detected in the urine.
Anhydronecgonine methyl ester was not detected in the blood (heart), but it was detected in
the urine. 0.133 (ug/ml, ug/g) of benzoylecgonine was detected in the blood (heart), and
2.9091(ug/ml, ug/g) of benzoylecgonine was detected in the urine. Dihydrocodeine was not
detected in the blood (femoral), but 0.019 (ug/ml, ug/g) of dihydrocodeine was detected in the
urine. Ecgonine methyl ester was detected in the urine and the blood (heart). 0.085 (ug/ml,
ug/g) of hydrocodone was detected in the urine, and 0.021 (ug/ml, ug/g) of hydrocodone was tected in the blood (femoral). Hydromorphone was not detected in the blood (femoral), but
0.026 (ug/ml, ug/g) of hydromorphone was detected in the urine.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 10, 2018

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KodiakRS posted:

I'd be willing to bet that most instances of pilots being intoxicated in any way that would make it in to a NTSB report are going to end sadly. If it was just funny it probably wasn't reported to anyone for obvious reasons.

That said now that X-Plane has VR I'm debating buying it to get really high and fly around because that seems like it would be a lot of fun in a zero-consequence environment.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the tox screen on that balloon pilot that killed 16 people in texas was pretty amazing.

http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3237899-Pilot-toxicology-report-in-Lockhart-balloon-crash.html

E: :nms: labs indeed

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 10, 2018

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

wolrah posted:

I'd be willing to bet that most instances of pilots being intoxicated in any way that would make it in to a NTSB report are going to end sadly. If it was just funny it probably wasn't reported to anyone for obvious reasons.

That said now that X-Plane has VR I'm debating buying it to get really high and fly around because that seems like it would be a lot of fun in a zero-consequence environment.

I’ve played DCS in VR drunk off my rear end and it’s amazing

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Sims while hammered are great.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Ferret King posted:

Sims while hammered are great.

-Taking off, doing a loop the loop, landing on the same runway.

-Cranking the headwind to 100 steady and trying to land on the control tower.

-Landing inside the maintenance hangar.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Flying under the pedestrian bridge at DEN

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
A cool thing to do when playing Sky God in non-motion sims is to set weather just above minimums, key up a crosswind, and right when the pilot spots the runway you set the wind speed to 150K

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I would watch youtube videos of this all day.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
My instructor did something like that to me the first time I flew an NDB approach in the sim.

"There's not going to be any wind, right?"

"Right!"

* breaks out of clouds, sees airport 2 miles to the left *

"There was wind, wasn't there???"

"Yeah, 30 knots!"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Our school has a Redbird and I want to do all of the above in it. Here I was thinking the most fun you could have in it was the "land on the carrier" game. (Sober, of course.)

May I also submit for your consideration flying under London Bridge in progressively larger aircraft? Protip: the 737-400/-800 doesn't work.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I swear I've asked this question, but couldn't find the instance of the thread that I did in. Recs for flight schools in Seattle area? Trying to see if the Boeing Employee's Flying club accepts non-Boeing people, but seems to be a lot of options around here.

I freelance nowadays, so super flexible when it comes to timing / scheduling / etc.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

movax posted:

I swear I've asked this question, but couldn't find the instance of the thread that I did in. Recs for flight schools in Seattle area? Trying to see if the Boeing Employee's Flying club accepts non-Boeing people, but seems to be a lot of options around here.

I freelance nowadays, so super flexible when it comes to timing / scheduling / etc.

I'm interviewing to work at a school in Seattle tomorrow and if it seems nice I'll update you.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

a patagonian cavy posted:

I'm interviewing to work at a school in Seattle tomorrow and if it seems nice I'll update you.

Sounds good to me. I don't think I'm going to get another full-time job until Q3/Q4 this year (if at all), so really want to spend my summer being able to fly around and do whatever. I've got my eye on trying to get the ASES also after a PPL for the summer time here.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

CBJSprague24 posted:

Our school has a Redbird and I want to do all of the above in it. Here I was thinking the most fun you could have in it was the "land on the carrier" game. (Sober, of course.)

May I also submit for your consideration flying under London Bridge in progressively larger aircraft? Protip: the 737-400/-800 doesn't work.

Both 767 and 330-300 fit under Gatwick...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

hjp766 posted:

Both 767 and 330-300 fit under Gatwick...

I'm referring to the one downtown, which I misidentified as London Bridge when it's actually Tower Bridge.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Had my first experience with how fast weather can sneak up on you yesterday.

I rented the plane for a few hours to take a friend up and get some practice in, but when we got to the airport it was raining. I figured we'd just sit around and wait it out, and sure enough after about 30 minutes there was a beautiful clear sky to see the sun hanging low and everything shining gold on the ground. We go up in what is practically perfect weather, not even a breeze, and get about 20 minutes of sightseeing in the local area when I notice some low clouds forming directly over my home airport.

I immediately turn to head back, but by the time I get close there is a thick cover of clouds at ~500 feet over the entire area. I debated waiting a bit to see if they would blow over, but given how fast they came in I decided to immediately divert to the executive airport downtown and land before any other bad weather surprises me. After a quick scramble to look up frequencies and punch it into the gps I made it over there and pulled off one of the smoothest landings I've ever done.

Now I'm just feeling dumb for going up after the rain like that, and am hoping the weather clears up at some point today so that I can get the plane home. :/

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Nuggan posted:

I rented the plane for a few hours to take a friend up and get some practice in, but when we got to the airport it was raining. I figured we'd just sit around and wait it out, and sure enough after about 30 minutes there was a beautiful clear sky to see the sun hanging low and everything shining gold on the ground. We go up in what is practically perfect weather, not even a breeze, and get about 20 minutes of sightseeing in the local area when I notice some low clouds forming directly over my home airport.

I immediately turn to head back, but by the time I get close there is a thick cover of clouds at ~500 feet over the entire area. I debated waiting a bit to see if they would blow over, but given how fast they came in I decided to immediately divert to the executive airport downtown and land before any other bad weather surprises me. After a quick scramble to look up frequencies and punch it into the gps I made it over there and pulled off one of the smoothest landings I've ever done.

Now I'm just feeling dumb for going up after the rain like that, and am hoping the weather clears up at some point today so that I can get the plane home. :/

Eh, poo poo happens and you learn from it. The best thing you did was evaluate the deteriorating situation, make a good judgment call and get the aircraft back on the ground without a violation or breaking things. It may be a corny meme, but the one that says 'good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment' is an accurate one. Put this experience in your judgement generator and don't forget it.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Yeah sounds like you were logical and are learning and didn’t kill yourself or your friend.

The ones where I felt the worst when I was learning was when I would scare friends out of aviation. Classic example, flying in 10knot winds on takeoff but doing a cross country to another unfamiliar airport with now 35kt winds.

I had 2 friends with me in a 172 and when we landed on the third try, I had to call a taxi for them to drive home because I was afraid of going back up in that weather.

Live and learn, just try not to ruin it for anybody else! (Taking my own advice here)

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Yeah, at least my friend says he had a wonderful time and wants to go up again. I don't think he realized anything was "wrong" the entire time, until we had to land somewhere else.

Edit: heading to the airport to try to fly back during a break in these low clouds. Wish me luck.

Nuggan fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 14, 2018

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Nuggan posted:

Nothing to be ashamed of, you did exactly the right thing. Good job PIC.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Good decision. Also, this is yet another reason why it's a good idea to get an instrument rating.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Nuggan posted:

Nah, it happens. At least you were quick with your decision making. I was time building in the pattern once with a line of snow approaching, but not terribly close when I took off. I knew I could get 5-6 laps in the pattern at least and the plan was to shut it down once the nearby highrises started disappearing, which is exactly what I did.

KodiakRS posted:

Good decision. Also, this is yet another reason why it's a good idea to get an instrument rating.

I felt so much better doing cross-countries with Instrument in my back pocket juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust in case. It did come in handy on a winter day when it was VFR, but hazy as poo poo. Filed Local IFR as an insurance policy and shot the GPS back into the home airport.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Weather finally let up and I managed to get the plane back. Everything went smoothly. The exec airport didn't even charge me for staying overnight.

Looking back on it, its probably some of the best flying I've done so far, but it was stressful in the moment. I can breathe easy now though.

KodiakRS posted:

I definitely plan to get an instrument rating. Was actually working up some cross country time solo while I save up for that next. Wouldn't have helped much in this case though, the GPS on the plane I rented doesn't have its database updated, so its not IFR ready right now.

At least the view yesterday was worth this trouble:

Nuggan fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 14, 2018

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I'll add mine to the pats on the back for a job well done on the decision-making. Here's how else it could have gone had you succumbed to the paralysis of indecision and/or get-home-itis:

- you try to land at your home field through the overcast without the instrument rating (statistically the #1 killer of private pilots)

- you try to scud run below the 500 foot overcast and impact terrain or an invisible radio tower

- you fly circles waiting for it to improve, while the nearby exec airport gets socked in

- you fly circles waiting for it to improve, while every other airport in fuel range gets socked in

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Indeed, smart decisions. Were you talking to ATC at all? Like approach or center? Always get flight following if they can accommodate because they’re invaluable in helping you out in a jam like that. They can look up weather and frequencies and coordinate with people on the ground much quicker while all you have to do is concentrate on flying the aircraft. ATC can be a little intimidating to new aviators but they’re there to help. Watch some of the Aopa air safety institute videos about accidents and incidents. Some of them have positive outcomes, others don’t. Many of them also feature the controllers who worked the incident and it really puts their role into perspective.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

First of all: good pilot decision making for immediately coming up with a good plan to divert, and then executing your plan!

For the future: in addition to what others have said, it's worth looking up how to get frequencies and airport data from your GPS, since pretty much all of them will include that sort of thing. If you know what your options are locally, that's one thing, but if you're somewhere unfamiliar, then the Nearest function is very helpful and you won't have to flip through whatever the US equivalent of the CFS is (A/FD?)

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Thanks for the tips guys!

I wasn't on with ATC while I was just in the local area, but as soon as I realized I needed to head to the other airport I listened to the ATIS, then contacted the tower. It was only about 12 miles away by that time, so not a super long flight. I'm pretty comfortable talking to ATC in the air, its the ground frequencies that I need more practice with, they give directions so fast sometimes. My home airport is untowered so I dont get much practice there.

I, at one point, knew out to get frequencies out of the gps, but it would be good to have a review. My main method is my ipad w/foreflight, and a 40 hour backup battery just in case.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Nuggan posted:

I, at one point, knew out to get frequencies out of the gps, but it would be good to have a review. My main method is my ipad w/foreflight, and a 40 hour backup battery just in case.

Link to battery

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Captain Apollo posted:

Link to battery

I keep 2 of these charged and in my flight bag. I've seen it run a gopro for ~40 hours, which is why I originally bought one. I can get a good 4-5 iPad mini charges out of one before it dies, more for just my phone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01JIWQPMW?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_t1

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

You must have a heavy flight bag!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I carry one of those because the major airline I work for is too cheap to wire usb power to the pilot seats!

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Arson Daily posted:

I carry one of those because the major airline I work for is too cheap to wire usb power to the pilot seats!

I carry one because the company had to issue backup batteries for the surface tablets we use as EFBs. Apparently battery life on those really suck when you use 4G cellular to grab dispatch releases, and rather than use iPads like everyone else...:homebrew:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Butt Reactor posted:

I carry one because the company had to issue backup batteries for the surface tablets we use as EFBs. Apparently battery life on those really suck when you use 4G cellular to grab dispatch releases, and rather than use iPads like everyone else...:homebrew:

Delta? If so Microsoft basically paid your company to take those phones and tablets out of their stock.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

My old man flies for delta and can't loving wait for the switch to ipads. Word is they'll get em in MSP around June/July. They're still gonna be using Jepp, and I'm not sure how much of suckitiude comes from the surface and how much comes from Jepp.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I heard that Microsoft paid to have the software ported, Delta has to be the only customer for that platform.

Kinda like how MS has pay the NFL to use their software

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Jumping from flight instruction to the 121 world - man I really miss Foreflight. The Jepp charts are great, but JeppFD sucks a big one.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
I'm thinking of building a radio receiver with a raspberry piece to be able to get in flight weather with Foreflight.

Anyone else done this or have one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simble
May 11, 2004

I built and use a stratux regularly. Get a case with a fan and excellent ventilation. It will overheat in a small airplane. I was using an external usb gps but it’s a pain to handle with it’s cord. So I just use my old bad elf for location and the stratux for ads-b in.