Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
There is no escaping UFC talk, just something one has to accept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah the whole conversation was really fascinating to me, and Dave shutting down Bryan's attempts to come up with What If? scenarios was pretty funny.

Edit: It also does play tangentially into wrestling as they make the point that we might still be stuck with Divas if somebody else hadn't pushed through taking women seriously as fighters.

VVVV Yep!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 15, 2018

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Incessant Excess posted:

There is no escaping UFC talk, just something one has to accept.

Even if you have no interest in MMA, WWE wouldn't have shifted away from Divas as quickly without Ronda catching on.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 15, 2018

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

MassRafTer posted:

Even if you have no interest in MMA, WWE wouldn't have shifted away from Divas as quickly without Ronda catching on.

I can understand it in this particular instance, I'm more referring to the regular UFC coverage which I really wish would get separated out into it's own show.

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 15, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I accidentally edited MRT's post instead of my own, fixed now, sorry! :doh:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MassRafTer posted:

VVVV Yep!

Jersualem did you mean to edit your post or did I have a stroke and edit this with no memory of it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Jersualem did you mean to edit your post or did I have a stroke and edit this with no memory of it?

Have no fear, the harrowing dementia being suffered here is mine and not yours :)

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

bryan was right

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Abuse of power! Abuse of power! I hate your guts!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
One thing that Dave didn't bring up when Bryan said MMA would eventually get popular is Lorenzo was a NSAC commissioner in the late 90s. (Michael Buffer actually reads his name off at a Halloween Havoc or two.) He used his influence to get MMA sanctioned in Nevada. Without him it would have taken years before MMA was legal in Nevada. (There are theories he helped keep it banned so he could buy it cheap but I don't think that really jives with the timeline of him getting involved in a bid to buy UFC.)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Excuse me but Stephanie McMahon was the sole reason behind the Woman's Revolution, not UFC who WWE are not in competition with.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

Excuse me but Stephanie McMahon was the sole reason behind the Woman's Revolution, not UFC who WWE are not in competition with.

really when it comes down to it, the McMahons are singularly responsible for everything good in wrestling

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
People complaining about MMA talk in the Observer Radio. Where am I? The Board?

I actually got into MMA because I wanted to have some context on what they were talking about, but this was back in the tail end of the peak years of UFC so it was pretty easy to get into.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

amos moses is a loving great song

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Jerry Reed is legend and a guitar beast.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:agreed:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Another reason to not ignore that ten minutes some advised ignoring is at the very end of that segment, Dave talks about how the NBA is over.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
I like the MMA talk, Dave has reported it since the beginning, and Bryan has a black belt in BJJ, so he can occasionally have solid insights. UFC is boring as gently caress lately, so being able to keep up while not watching everything is cool.

I just hate Dave and Bryan bickering for long stretches about a hypothetical.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I watched a few minutes of the free B+V they uploaded to their Youtube channel and why would anybody pay extra money for this?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

In a bit of addition by subtraction, DKP is apparently moving on from WON/F4W

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Alan left the failing F4WOnline

https://twitter.com/Alan4L/status/964640079745601536

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Praise God I never have to be subjected to his horrible show on the Best of again.

Wade you took Todd, you took DKP, now take Wrestling Weekly!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Take Karl's Patreon

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Keller is taking granny. Hehe :)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I never once listened to Dr Keith.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Alan is a lovely guy. I don't know if it'll be enough to get me to pay for a wrestling site again, but he's good people.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

HulkaMatt posted:

Alan is a lovely guy. I don't know if it'll be enough to get me to pay for a wrestling site again, but he's good people.

He seems like a great dude to just sit around with and talk wrestling, but the few times I listened to DKP over the years I found it dreadfully boring.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Maybe Torch can set him up with something other than a talkboy to record his shows.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've had an Observer/F4W Subscription for several years now and I don't have any idea what DKP even is? It doesn't involve that lovely Karl Stern does it? :ohdear:

Edit: Forget all that noise, how the gently caress has Bryan and Vinny never heard Amos Moses before? :stare:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 17, 2018

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

they aren't 60 years old

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I don't think I've listened to a Dr. Keith show literally one time in my years of subscribing to WO. At least with Big Audio Nightmare I'll tune in like once a year for their G1 preview, but Dr. Keith has never, ever registered on my radar.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
It amused me that Dave was surprised the winter olympics were not affecting the ratings that much in comparison to the summer. Pretty sure it does not have anywhere near the viewership of the summer ones, and they're a lot shorter too.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i listened to the DKP shows with like, steen or excalibur back when i was a huge PWG stan, but if you're not like wholly interested in what they're talking about it's so hard to get through a show

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

oatgan posted:

they aren't 60 years old

I was gonna get mad but then I remembered my first exposure to Amos Moses was in San Andreas, and that's not the one single video game Bryan Alvarez has played in his lifetime.

Amos Moses is a real loving good song though!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

I've had an Observer/F4W Subscription for several years now and I don't have any idea what DKP even is? It doesn't involve that lovely Karl Stern does it? :ohdear:

Edit: Forget all that noise, how the gently caress has Bryan and Vinny never heard Amos Moses before? :stare:

As far as I can remember, from when I started like 7 years ago, Dr Keith was a guy who had a podcast on the F4 website, and Alan was a guest, and then he left and Alan took over and just talked US and Japanese Indies? He was one of those people who had a massive list of matches he'd mark star ratings for so you'd see some match get FIVE STARS and see it was like, a Japanese Indy in-front of like 40 people.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Good Listener posted:

It amused me that Dave was surprised the winter olympics were not affecting the ratings that much in comparison to the summer. Pretty sure it does not have anywhere near the viewership of the summer ones, and they're a lot shorter too.

You are still looking at viewership that is 60% higher than the biggest Monday Night Football games.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

MassRafTer posted:

You are still looking at viewership that is 60% higher than the biggest Monday Night Football games.

Huh, did not know that. I'm still not surprised that the winter olympics does not seem to hurt WWE's viewership though. Summer ones I'd be way more surprised if Raw kept its numbers on.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I wonder what pulling fans away in the summer lineup. Or maybe it’s a collection of things. I follow like ten sports in the summer, two or three in the winter. It makes it easier to squeeze wrestling in.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Olympic ratings basically live or die based on how many live events they can show in primetime. Rio did huge ratings because it was only an hour ahead of the East Coast, so they were able to show pretty much everything live in America. Pyeongchang is doing well because they moved the biggest American draws (figure skating, skiing) to a morning schedule in Korea so they'd air live on NBC in the coveted primetime window.

How this does or doesn't affect WWE, I have no idea. Doesn't seem like much crossover in that particular Venn diagram. :shrug:

Benne fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Feb 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
More people would watch the olympics if the gold medal contender lost the week before because then it would be a surprise when they won the gold.

What i'm saying is Gold Medal Wins and Losses don't matter.