Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

them kind of punches Where they really paunch you right in the slophole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Low Desert Punk posted:

The poster earlier talking about the crucifix powerbomb reminded me; What are some moves that most wrestlers despise taking? I've always heard flapjacks loving suck

The Stinkface, I imagine.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Gavok posted:

Speak for yourself!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Doomsday Device was loving dangerous. And no one uses it, but there's always the Shaker Heights Spike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKD4u0LxP1o

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypot3CYECwE&t=5s

Only posting this one because I couldn't find Jerry Lawler's matter-of-fact,"That's it, he's dead" call from the second bump, which is exactly what I said when I saw the Beverly Brothers kill that poor jobber in the post above.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The cannonball Owens does seems incredibly unpleasant to take.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Dias posted:

The cannonball Owens does seems incredibly unpleasant to take.

When he was on the indies he did a shoot interview with Nigel McGuinness with Highspots. Kevin used to ask people did they want to take it when they wrestled them. The misconception at the time was that Steen's package piledriver was THE dangerous Kevin Steen move but you if you actually looked at it was pretty safe - Kevin has a fat rear end and his legs would be tight around their head when piledriving them. Nigel was KO'd by a cannonball in one of their matches.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Double foot stomps "at best feels like being stabbed".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

This seemed fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zc0sgh92v0&t=3m50s

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Basically if you were a jobber in the 80s and 90s, there was a 50/50 chance the other guys would just dump you on your head for shits and giggles

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, there was that story Mick Foley told in one of his books of being on the wrong end of a jobber squash against the British Bulldogs, where he spent the match basically thinking he was going to die

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
I think that match is on the Network and it's brutal. DeathChicken isn't exaggerating, Mick takes some seriously dangerous blows.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

These stories are so much more fun when you know how the guy died of a drug overdose.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, there was that story Mick Foley told in one of his books of being on the wrong end of a jobber squash against the British Bulldogs, where he spent the match basically thinking he was going to die

part of that's gotta be that Dynamite was a dangerous psychopath, though

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

magnum_valentino posted:

I think that match is on the Network and it's brutal. DeathChicken isn't exaggerating, Mick takes some seriously dangerous blows.

Dyno broke his jaw from a clothesline, generally a safe move

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

FunMerrania posted:

Double foot stomps "at best feels like being stabbed".

I dunno why they have Finn do this because the way he has to land it always makes it look really bad, but it still apparently hurts like hell.

And that time he fought AJ, he loving STUCK it in there and you could hear AJ's limbs liquefying on the spot.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Double foot stomps are one of those moves that actually hurt much more than they look like they hurt, which is like the shittiest possible thing you can say about a pro wrestling move.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Double foot stomps are one of those moves that actually hurt much more than they look like they hurt, which is like the shittiest possible thing you can say about a pro wrestling move.

It's like Shane's punches, but for feet.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

One move that probably sucked a ton to take is Big Show's Level 3 Cobra Clutch Back Breaker Toss.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Everything RVD did.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I like when my homie Kevin Sullivan does them and lands knees locked straight.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

St Evan Echoes posted:

It bums me out that Elgin is a super lovely dude because god drat do I love a big hoss who can do agile poo poo

its gonna be good when Rusev gets released

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Basic Chunnel posted:

its gonna be good when Rusev gets released

indie rusev would make cody look like a huge pile of warmed over poo poo.

im just imagining rusev touring the world, getting a new catchphrase or nickname over in every town. in butte they call him hercules rusev for he lifted the entire bleacher filled with fans. in portland maine, the locals still call 9 pm "the rusev hour" because he went broadway with ronnie, the toughest man in town. hundreds of little boys and girls named rusev and lana are born, after rusev inspires entire towns to go home and machka.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
There's no way Rusev is leaving as long as he and Lana are making that sweet Total Divas money

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Gavok posted:

Did this in my first ever match, I was a little apprehensive to rub my arse in someones face..............he did not enjoy it.

I'm not a fan of taking Sidewalk slams as I always get winded.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

do you like taking sitout tombstones

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This might be a weird subjective question, but what are some examples of a "canon legendary" match between wrestlers who might've had a better match together that's less celebrated?

To try to explain, Flair and Steamboat claimed they had house show matches that were way better than the famed trilogy. That's probably just a tall tale, but with no video footage, we can only go on anecdotes and word of mouth (and by all accounts they were incredible, so I've little reason to doubt them).

You can easily argue today that Bret/Austin at Survivor Series 96 was better than their Mania 13 submission match, and that Cena/Punk on that one Raw blew away their MITB 2011 match. The Hardyz/Dudleyz/E&C TLC match at SummerSlam 2000 also tends to get overlooked after their WM17 clusterfuck. And for a more modern example, the Shield/Wyatts rematch on Raw was probably better than their Elimination Chamber 2014 match, which was already amazing.

Are there any other examples of this?

Benne fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 16, 2018

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Supposedly, the Savage/Steamboat house show matches leading up to Wrestlemania 3 were way better than the one on ppv

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Benne posted:

And for a more modern example, the Shield/Wyatts rematch on Raw was probably better than their Elimination Chamber 2014 match, which was already amazing.

They also had a fantastic match on the first (?) episode of Main Event. It was the only time Shield won against the Wyatts and really sold people on Ambrose being a plucky babyface.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bret Hart vs. British Bulldog at In Your House 5 was better than the SummerSlam '92 match.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

London/Akio II from Velocity was probably the best but London/Akio I from Velocity and London/Akio III from Heat get the attention.

All three were classics though.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

RVD vs Jerry Lynn on a random Sunday Night Heat was way better than any of their ECW PPV matches

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Bret Hart vs. British Bulldog at In Your House 5 was better than the SummerSlam '92 match.

I haven't seen IYH 5, but Summerslam '92 is a bog-standard carry job by Hart, which is only really remarkable in the sense of how bad the workrate in WWF usually was.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the In Your House shows are weirdly good in general, honestly

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the In Your House shows are weirdly good in general, honestly

Canadian Stampede is on the shortlist for best PPVs ever

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Either the Bret/Shawn ladder match or their Title match in 92 are better and significantly more watchable than the WMXII Ironman.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shiki Dan posted:

Either the Bret/Shawn ladder match or their Title match in 92 are better and significantly more watchable than the WMXII Ironman.

And all three are better than Montreal.

Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka from ONS is their worst match in the US. Their best match was from the Westchester County Center on a TV taping from December of 99 that aired on NYE.

It's the one where Mike Awesome clotheslines the Spike Dudley girl and she spits out some (fake) teeth.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I'm going to a Road to Wrestlemania house show on Saturday. I always forget where I can go look up what the cards have been . Where is that?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

And all three are better than Montreal.

Do people consider that a good match? Nobody ever talks about the match itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I was about to ask if it was any good. I vaguely recall Bret saying they hadn't even gotten a quarter of the way through before the screwjob.