Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

hard counter posted:

when gbs 1.0 fell it took with it punctuation and capital letters and i'm glad of it

that was a really long sentence though to be fair, at least throw in some ...s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

big posts, big sentences, big life

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Unpopular political opinion:

LGBT people dont owe the American Left anything. The Left views us as tools. And they LOVE the idea that we have no choice but to align with them because the American Right is so much worse. They're in for a world of hurt. And a big unpleasant surprise.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Blue Star posted:

LGBT dont owe the Left anything. The Left views us as tools. And they LOVE the idea that we have no choice but to align with them because the American Right is so much worse. They're in for a world of hurt. And a big unpleasant surprise.
Politicians don't care. Santa claus isn't real either.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Elizabethan Error posted:

Politicians don't care. Santa claus isn't real either.

They'll care when the system collapses and burns down.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

They'ww cawe when the system cowwapses and buwns down.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Blue Star posted:

You'll burn down with them. Hell, you'll probably be among the first to burn down.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

yeah I eat rear end posted:

You'll burn down with them. Hell, you'll probably be among the first to burn down.

Good. Thats the second-best outcome.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Star posted:

LGBT people dont owe the American Left anything. The Left views us as tools. And they LOVE the idea that we have no choice but to align with them because the American Right is so much worse. They're in for a world of hurt. And a big unpleasant surprise.

I don't know how it is in America; one of the most right-wing people I know is a gay man and it's almost entirely because he's prejudiced against Muslims (he has an elaborate set of views on the matter which he is often keen to share).

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 23:38 on Feb 15, 2018

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Blue Star posted:

TBF, the American Right is worse. At the very least I haven’t seen anyone on the Left call for LGBT people to be killed or imprisoned.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blue Star posted:

Oh Blue Star, you cad.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Blue Star posted:

You're not wrong, but I'm not sure what could happen to fulfill the last part of your sentence.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Political parties are dynamic coalitions of interests. Healthy ones stick together, unhealthy ones dissolve. But for anyone who's been spared an unjust discrimination to be indifferent to another's unjust discrimination is not right. What we owe each other goes before what we owe our political parties.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In a representative system, the first duty of a politician is to their constituents. If the interests of a representative's constituents are in conflict with those of their national party, then the interests of the constituents should take precedence.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

In a representative system, the first duty of a politician is to their constituents. If the interests of a representative's constituents are in conflict with those of their national party, then the interests of the constituents should take precedence.
And milk cartons should open perfectly every time.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know how it is in America; one of the most right-wing people I know is a gay man and it's almost entirely because he's prejudiced against Muslims (he has an elaborate set of views on the matter which he is often keen to share).

Muslims have a pretty dim view of gay men, too.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The US is politically broken because it's a de facto two party system, which in combination with the hosed up electoral system and the death of rational discourse over the past decades means you're never going to have a sensible solution to anything until the whole system implodes. And when it does it's likely not going to be pretty.

e:

Wheat Loaf posted:

While we're imagining things, I want a pony. :shobon:

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wheat Loaf posted:

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty.
Seeing videos of losers harassing McDonalds employees (whose lives aren't poo poo enough apparently) as a "joke" made me really despise the show and the community. I've never really watched it, but from the clips I've seen it seems like Futurama with no charm.

No offense to anyone that's a fan though!

Ultima66 posted:

I actually agree with the sentiment of that list though I don't have experience with most of the properties.

Breaking Bad's ending is actually the worst thing about the show. The whole show is weakened by the fact that in the end the villainous sociopath more or less accomplishes every goal he sets out to do. I don't think that's actually a particularly unpopular opinion because I've seen plenty of people say Better Call Saul is a better show because it has all the same quality as Breaking Bad but follows a more realistic character/plot.

I actually like Rick and Morty but I think it's a lot funnier than it has any right to be for what it is.

No one will ever convince me to give the Souls games a shot because I've always been a huge bullet hell fan and the fact that people talk about how Souls games are a return to "classic difficulty" that doesn't exist elsewhere has completely turned me off of them.

My own opinion on popular media: I loving love the ideas presented in Black Mirror but feel like the execution is never that good.
The fandom for the Soul games are crap. Basically what happened was Demon's Souls was this cool little action rpg cult classic PS3 exclusive that had an emphasis on ambiance, isolation, atmosphere and learning by doing. It was made challenging to accentuate the sense of tension and despair and immerse you in the game's world. Dark Souls built on the original concept and had it be one interconnect world like a Metroid game. Then they ported it to PC, word of mouth about it spread and it became a meme. Now the other entries in the series are pandering the fan base and it's become a caricature of itself. Bloodborne is still cool, and combined elements of hacknslash games with an action RPG, but it still relied too much on enemies one shoting you and trial and error and having as much bosses crammed in as possible just for the gently caress of it. Because OMG UR GOING TO DIE SO MUCH WATCH ME PLAY DARK SOULS HATE THIS GAME LOL.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ausmund posted:

Seeing videos of losers harassing McDonalds employees (whose lives aren't poo poo enough apparently) as a "joke" made me really despise the show and the community. I've never really watched it, but from the clips I've seen it seems like Futurama with no charm.

No offense to anyone that's a fan though!

I've seen and enjoyed the show but yeah, the fandom seems lovely and the show itself is kind of mean-spirited.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

My landlord is an openly gay Republican, but that's just because he inherited a fortune from his parents.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Blue Star posted:

I've seen and enjoyed the show but yeah, the fandom seems lovely and the show itself is kind of mean-spirited.

Half the fandom has this massive pretense about what Rick and Morty is trying to "say" and how it's for smart people and all that poo poo. The other half is garbage memelords like the Szechuan Sauce assholes that harassed McDonalds employees. The fandom is terrible.

On the other hand you have segments like the interdimensional TV segments where Justin Roiland walks into the studio drunk, starts doing improv for the TV segments, and they animate around his drunken ramblings and I can't help but find those some of the funniest things on TV.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yet another show that peaked in season 1.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
I’m not one for long prose, so here’s a list.

Megadeth is way loving better than Metallica. Dave needs to get over being booted out.

Rick & Morty is good, but the people that like it seem to be assholes. I guess you can say that about most fandoms though.

GoT is trash.

Modern pop music is no better or worse than it was in the past.

Souls/Borne are fantastic games, but again, the fandom and dick measuring (Prepare to die!!!1!!!) are embarrassing.

GTA4 was actually pretty good, and while the dissonance between Niko’s wanting to be a good guy/murdering 1,000’s of innocent people was silly, I feel that it gets unfairly judged because of that. The entire game wasn’t poo poo just because Niko was unevenly written.

Better Call Saul is far superior to Breaking Bad.

Football, basketball, hockey and soccer are cool. Baseball is loving boring.

Humanity, while having major examples of being poo poo, is ultimately cool and good, and I hope we figure our poo poo out so that my great x10 grand children can live among the stars.

Anime was the biggest mistake of all human invention.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

HairyManling posted:

GTA4 was actually pretty good, and while the dissonance between Niko’s wanting to be a good guy/murdering 1,000’s of innocent people was silly, I feel that it gets unfairly judged because of that. The entire game wasn’t poo poo just because Niko was unevenly written.

A lot of the writing in GTA4 was mediocre, especially when 5 was so much more vibrant and interesting. I still enjoy it overall, but 5 really impressed me with how much more memorable the characters were and how gripping their storyline was.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Caufman posted:

A lot of the writing in GTA4 was mediocre, especially when 5 was so much more vibrant and interesting. I still enjoy it overall, but 5 really impressed me with how much more memorable the characters were and how gripping their storyline was.
I agree. I just think it gets unfairly dumped on when it was actually a pretty good game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

HairyManling posted:

There's also the fact that the cars are poo poo to drive, the checkpointing and save system are garbage, the gameplay comes second to the (badly written) story and suffers for having to fit into the "cinematic style" they were going for, the combat is tedious and repetitive and the game does everything it can to stop you from trying to have fun in your own way - which should be the entire point of an open-world game. GTA4 is poo poo.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

There's also the fact that the cars are poo poo to drive, the checkpointing and save system are garbage, the gameplay comes second to the (badly written) story and suffers for having to fit into the "cinematic style" they were going for, the combat is tedious and repetitive and the game does everything it can to stop you from trying to have fun in your own way - which should be the entire point of an open-world game. GTA4 is poo poo.
I guess we’ll just have to disagree then, Tiggum. GTA4 had probelms and I only ever played it one time through, but I don’t think it was garbage.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

GTA 4 is when the series started taking itself seriously. I've said it before but the first time I flew out of my own windshield driving like I usually do in GTA games I knew it wasn't for me.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't know if it really started taking itself seriously, when the immediate sequel is completely, self-consciously ridiculous. Anyway, if you want to see a game that takes itself ¨way too seriously wrt driving and poo poo, check out Mafia, a game that prides itself on its cars being unable to climb a modest incline, and on having to wait for cops to write you a ticket if you go over the speed limit.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

hard counter posted:

when gbs 1.0 fell it took with it punctuation and capital letters and i'm glad of it

gbs 1.0 was a bitch

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Blue Star posted:

everyone who isn't your direct family or friend who pretends to care about you is using you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GTA 5 was the only one good enough to not wear thin after 5 or 6 hours. I always got bored of those games really quick but the map in 5 was amazing and the story was really dumb and entertaining.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Munchables posted:

They'ww cawe when the system cowwapses and buwns down.

I honestly feel really bad for you.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Blue Star posted:

Thanks buddy :D

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Blue Star posted:

personally, I feel bad for the victims of the holocaust. but you save your sympathy for forums posters.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

personally, I feel bad for the victims of the holocaust. but you save your sympathy for forums posters.

Why do you say that i "save" my sympathy for forums posters? Is it impossible to feel sorry for more than one person or group of people at a time?

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Blue Star posted:

Why do you say that i "save" my sympathy for forums posters? Is it impossible to feel sorry for more than one person or group of people at a time?

check out this loving white cismale

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

Who?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Trauma Dog 3000 posted: