Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Len posted:

Because the book is set when he's in his late teens which I'm going to assume is to appeal to the "oh poor misunderstood Damien" fanbase. I could be wrong but from what poking around I've done there's a pretty vocal group that feels he isn't a Bad Guy

Oh, I know there are the fan girls who love Damien and thinks he’s just a misunderstood woobie (and pretty much everyone says his voice is sexy), but I doubt Lauren Shippen is pandering to them. In fact, I’m pretty sure she’s straight up said “you should not idolize Damien.”

Edit: Maybe this quote will ease your fears:

Lauren Shippen posted:

I’m never going to try and tell people how to react to my characters, whether it is positively or negatively. I don’t want people romanticizing or excusing Damien (which isn’t what you’re doing obviously, just speaking more generally), but that doesn’t mean you can’t like/care/find him interesting.

I love how curious Damien is. He genuinely wants to know as much as he can about the world and atypicals. I like how independent he is. I respect how strong he is - he was alone from a very young age and had to learn how to survive and, while he made a lot of mistakes, it could have been a lot worse. Conversely, I also sympathize with how fragile he can be.

Absolutely none of that excuses his behavior or means that he can learn how to “be a loving human being” as Mark put it. But it does make him real to me. And that’s how I approach it - I try to treat him like a person. A person who I disagree with on basically everything and who I want to shoot into space 90% of the time, but a person nonetheless. I think compassion is one of the most important things in writing and in life.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jurgan posted:

Oh, I know there are the fan girls who love Damien and thinks he’s just a misunderstood woobie (and pretty much everyone says his voice is sexy), but I doubt Lauren Shippen is pandering to them. In fact, I’m pretty sure she’s straight up said “you should not idolize Damien.”

Edit: Maybe this quote will ease your fears:

Okay that does make me feel better about it.

I bet the Caleb one will be good because those two dorks are my favorite characters in the show.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I hope that King Falls isn’t ending. I don’t think it’s great, but it’s an enjoyable enough show and ending where it is now would feel incomplete. I can definitely see this as a start to a new arc, and perhaps a way to help invigorate the show, which has gotten a bit stagnant and “wacky.”

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Meinberg posted:

I hope that King Falls isn’t ending. I don’t think it’s great, but it’s an enjoyable enough show and ending where it is now would feel incomplete. I can definitely see this as a start to a new arc, and perhaps a way to help invigorate the show, which has gotten a bit stagnant and “wacky.”

It ebbs and flows. It was better before it was serial. When it started it was here’s part of a weird story but we’re going to cut out before there’s resolution. The whole “Emily arc” was the low point for me. I didn’t come for weird relationship drama I came for Jack-In-Box Jesus the Burger King of Kings. Or the werewolves maybe molesting the dog breeders household.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
The Bright Sessions announcement helped me put Rose in a better context: I thought she was a self insert, which seemed odd to do so late in an established series (and doesn't seem like a thing vShippen would ever do). Since it seems like she'll featured in the new media push, her role is probably going to be "reader stand in" for new consumers.

It's super weird to think that anybody could see Damien as an interesting character. He's stereotyped in so many different ways that he was always a cartoon villain in my mind. But I'm probably not the target audience there, so :shruggo:

I'd recently hosed up my hand and was on bed rest, so I shotgunned a lot of podcasts:
1. Wolf 359 - getting past the initial character building episodes was hard. I thought about dropping it more than once because I characterized it as "Archer in space". Really happy I stayed with it, though. The alternate history timeline was fascinating, and the writers did an excellent job with characters in season 2 onward. I wound up thinking this was"psychological safety: the podcast" because it went through storming/forming dynamics repeatedly.
2. Eos 10 - much closer to Archer in Space, but without the charm. Really important events are taking place around the periphery of the story. Hope you like listening to bad accents and nobody dealing with consequences, though.
3. The Bunker. Super bleak in an oddly chirpy way. Couldn't finish this one.
4. Relistened to Steal the Stars, which is great right up until the final episode, then things fall the gently caress apart. Really excellent actors and good pacing.
5. Relistened to all of Our Fair City. Good world building and acting. This one coming to an end this year as well and I'll miss it.

Archive 81 has been active on Twitter recently. They're getting ready for their next season. A81 has some of the best Foley work around and I love how it jumped from horrible non-euclidean cult buildings into neo-Weird Tales body horror-slash-Edgar Rice Burroughs dark continent adventures.

Magnus has been on a tear. I'm surprised they killed off Michael Crew and brought back Daisy and Basira to enthrall them to the institute. . Their last three episodes have been masterful cliff hangers with good pay-offs. I do wonder how long they can keep ramping up the intensity like this, though. Jon getting dunked on by his roommate was satisfying as well.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

What was the ending to Ars Paradoxica? I kind of lost interest a year or so ago, but am curious how it all wraps up.

The spinoff podcast they did about their favorite time travel movies is worth listening to, too.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

What was the ending to Ars Paradoxica? I kind of lost interest a year or so ago, but am curious how it all wraps up.

The spinoff podcast they did about their favorite time travel movies is worth listening to, too.

Few more episodes I think 2 groups of 6 or 8 during 2018 to wrap it all up. I loved first season of Ars Paradoxical but don’t think anything since has been as good. It may be because I binged it and then caught up.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I’m 34 episodes into the Magnus Archives and while I’m wary of the steadily growing metaplot, their hit-to-miss ratio is still really impressive given their output. Also I usually burn out on podcasts due to their length and sprawl, and certainly up to this point they’ve had many, many opportunities to become indulgent that they’ve passed up to keep things tight and disciplined (the studious commitment to Lovecraftian storytelling format helps).

It’s a marvel of project management if nothing else.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

I’m 34 episodes into the Magnus Archives and while I’m wary of the steadily growing metaplot, their hit-to-miss ratio is still really impressive given their output. Also I usually burn out on podcasts due to their length and sprawl, and certainly up to this point they’ve had many, many opportunities to become indulgent that they’ve passed up to keep things tight and disciplined (the studious commitment to Lovecraftian storytelling format helps).

For what it’s worth, Johnny has posted that he has the plot arc for the current series planned out, enough to say that there will be five seasons total and then it will end. So you don’t have to worry about it becoming a Lost-style mess, at least.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

Make sure you're looking at the date of publication there too if you want to be really impressed. They were daily for awhile, then 3x/week then 2x/week then weekly. They really really cranked them out.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I hope whenever Magnus ends that they don't vanish into the aether.. I want more content from these guys, whatever it is. Anyone listen to their gaming podcast? Is it any good?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Idk if it’s good (podcasts usually come to editing and length for me and actual play podcasts are usually short on the former and long on the latter) but in the MA season one Q&A they mentioned that they played Deadlands, which I’ve always been interested in. It’s a magical western setting that uses Texas Hold Em poker hands to resolve actions instead of dice rolls.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

New Leaf posted:

I hope whenever Magnus ends that they don't vanish into the aether.. I want more content from these guys, whatever it is. Anyone listen to their gaming podcast? Is it any good?

Rusty Quill also did a podcast called Outliers, which is basically fictionalized British history short stories by rotating authors, plus interviews with the authors afterward. I haven’t listened to all of them yet but the ones I have listened to have been quite good.

I don’t think they plan to shut down after TMA ends, just move on to something else.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
RQ Gaming is pretty fun, but a little heavy on sound effects in the early eps. (That part gets better as they go.). It’s mostly Pathfinder in an Alt-history version of Europe, but they also have holiday specials for games like Deadlands, Fiasco, and Trail of Cthulhu.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

TANIS is back. Yay? I'm going to stick with it, but mostly I just missed Nic's voice. I don't know, I really like him for some reason.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Got started on the Magnus Archives thanks to this thread. I don't normally go in for horror, but I find that it's surprisingly pleasant listening.

Lost Johns' Cave definitely convinced me that caving will never be my hobby. I'm not claustrophobic, but gently caress I was getting anxious at those descriptions even before the weird stuff happened.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Got started on the Magnus Archives thanks to this thread. I don't normally go in for horror, but I find that it's surprisingly pleasant listening.

Lost Johns' Cave definitely convinced me that caving will never be my hobby. I'm not claustrophobic, but gently caress I was getting anxious at those descriptions even before the weird stuff happened.

If you really want to freak yourself out, YouTube it. It's a real place, and there's a famous helmet cam video of someone actually getting stuck (temporarily).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

New Leaf posted:

If you really want to freak yourself out, YouTube it. It's a real place, and there's a famous helmet cam video of someone actually getting stuck (temporarily).

I'm about to regret my actions, thanks for pointing this out!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

New Leaf posted:

If you really want to freak yourself out, YouTube

good advice in general

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm surprised at the hate Nosleep gets here! I kinda dig the amateur-hour style. It really feels like just sitting around telling ghost stories, which is nice given how most horror podcasts go these days. I've bought each season pass since 3 when it started and never regretted it. Yeah, David Cummings is no voice actor (emphasis on "actor") but he's fine for introing/narrating/being a goofy spooky grandpa.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm surprised at the hate Nosleep gets here! I kinda dig the amateur-hour style. It really feels like just sitting around telling ghost stories, which is nice given how most horror podcasts go these days. I've bought each season pass since 3 when it started and never regretted it. Yeah, David Cummings is no voice actor (emphasis on "actor") but he's fine for introing/narrating/being a goofy spooky grandpa.

I like nosleep sometimes for this reason. It's very Are You Afraid of the Dark which just.... Appeals to my inner child. I don't care for the super edgelord tone of some stories, but the fun, silly ones I enjoy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I still listen to it for the same I still read NoSleep, sometimes there's really good stuff in it but other times it's just "and the Boogeyman was my uncle who touched me at night"

Edit: I'm debating going to their liveshow near me next Saturday but it's 40 minutes away and with the range in quality I dunno

Len fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 4, 2018

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Len posted:

I still listen to it for the same I still read NoSleep, sometimes there's really good stuff in it but other times it's just "and the Boogeyman was my uncle who touched me at night"

Edit: I'm debating going to their liveshow near me next Saturday but it's 40 minutes away and with the range in quality I dunno

I'd do it just to see wtf these people look like while 'acting' But I'm a sucker for most podcasts, and the Creepy/Small Town Horror guy will be there as well right? I binged through so much of his voice when he was doing the daily poo poo that I'd go 40 minutes in a heart beat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hughlander posted:

I'd do it just to see wtf these people look like while 'acting' But I'm a sucker for most podcasts, and the Creepy/Small Town Horror guy will be there as well right? I binged through so much of his voice when he was doing the daily poo poo that I'd go 40 minutes in a heart beat.

It’s called “Escape the Black Farm” and understandably theres no word from them on what that means, but I found a book called The Black Farm which is a full novel based on a NoSleep story that was featured on the podcast and it sounds like it could be neat?

quote:

After the loss of a child along with a slew of agonizing misfortunes, Nick and Jess decide to end their lives. Unable to cope with the misery that fills their days, they commit one last act together and die in loving relief.

But when Nick wakes up, he soon realizes that death isn't the gentle darkness he expected. Panicked and horrified, he struggles to understand the twisted abominations and hellish world he's now trapped in.

Driven by desperation and a sudden will to survive, he sets out to find Jess and is unable to cope with the thought of her having to suffer through the terrors this new reality holds.

But nothing could prepare him for the nightmares he found...nothing could prepare him for The Black Farm.

So I went to the original story and started reading it and in true NoSleep style the first scary moment in the story:

quote:

The big man ignored me and instead grabbed the kid and shoved him hard against the wall. The boy grunted as his back struck the concrete and his eyes rose to meet the grizzled man's.

Wordlessly, the man raised his shotgun, placed it against the boy's forehead, and blew his head off. Chunks of gore splattered the wall as shock slugged me in the stomach like an iron fist. My ears rang and time seemed to slow as I watched in horror as the headless body crumpled to the ground.

NoSleep where the horror is child murder

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm surprised at the hate Nosleep gets here!

To be clear, it isn't really the podcast or stories that get hate in this thread, it's Cummings no-talent rear end showing up in otherwise decent productions.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ornamented Death posted:

To be clear, it isn't really the podcast or stories that get hate in this thread, it's Cummings no-talent rear end showing up in otherwise decent productions.

He works good in a Crypt Keeper role but the stories he himself reads I just fast forward through. Because nope.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Len posted:

yea this season is the first one I didn't buy the pass for and really just don't miss it. It felt like near every episode had at least one story that was 'and the real monster was a human rapist/murderer/child abuser' and I'm just so goddamn bored by that trope, especially when it's combined with the usual over the top edgelord poo poo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The woman who wrote Borrasca put out a final chapter that's a sequel/epilogue and it doubled down on the edgy rape. The narrators dad took over as the sheriff and he got super into the rape and sex slavery. He stopped providing kids to the townsfolk and putting money back into the town so it went from a nice upper class place to a ghetto.

Oh and he murdered his wife and married the narrators high school crush.

And named the daughter of his new wife after his first daughter, the one who got raped and murdered at the rape camp.

And he had a heroin dealer on retainer to keep the narrator always high so he couldn't do anything about it.

I really don't get why that story was so we'll received and seen as one of the greatest things in the subreddit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
same reason the reddit (and let's be honest, SA when we had them) writing prompt communities in general devolved into shitheaps. The community quickly globs onto early successes as if they're the 'rules' for what makes a good story, because the community is based on community feedback and praise it becomes a constant arms race to ape the current successes without overtly copying. Reddit has always had a fascination with 'mature' being Eli Roth style gore/shock fests so their horror stuff revolves around being grown up big boy horror not stupid 4chan creepypasta, and you become big boy horror by having someone skullfuck a baby and the twist is the monster was trying to STOP the baby skullfucking did your mind just get BLOWN at that?!

Of course that ignores poo poo like the OG creepypasta being absolute garbage like Russian Sleep Experiment and Jeff the Killer which was just someone writing gore porn with one hand.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

same reason the reddit (and let's be honest, SA when we had them) writing prompt communities in general devolved into shitheaps. The community quickly globs onto early successes as if they're the 'rules' for what makes a good story, because the community is based on community feedback and praise it becomes a constant arms race to ape the current successes without overtly copying. Reddit has always had a fascination with 'mature' being Eli Roth style gore/shock fests so their horror stuff revolves around being grown up big boy horror not stupid 4chan creepypasta, and you become big boy horror by having someone skullfuck a baby and the twist is the monster was trying to STOP the baby skullfucking did your mind just get BLOWN at that?!

Of course that ignores poo poo like the OG creepypasta being absolute garbage like Russian Sleep Experiment and Jeff the Killer which was just someone writing gore porn with one hand.

I only know those from the Creepy podcast, but isn’t Jeff the Killer just Batman fanfic with the serial number filed off? Jeff being the Joker?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hughlander posted:

I only know those from the Creepy podcast, but isn’t Jeff the Killer just Batman fanfic with the serial number filed off? Jeff being the Joker?

kinda, from what I remember the first half is talking about how Jeff is hosed up because he got burned and poo poo and then it's just a parade of "AND THEN I CUT HER FACE OFF, AND THEN I FED HER BUTT TO HER DOG, THEN I KILLED THE DOG AND FED IT TO HER CAT" one-upping himself with crimes before the cop narrating is all 'oh man this guy's TOO twisted, bet you think he's a real edgy badass huh, listener'. Like, it's like someone read a page of Killing Joke out of context and said 'yea I get it' before writing their bad fanfic.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Just finished the first season of The Magnus Archives. That is some gooooood poo poo right there. I wish I'd started taking notes a bit earlier than I did, as it is I've had to go back to the wiki for some names and dates, particularly when they refer to a case by its ID number without referencing it's contents. Here's hoping it can keep it up.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I'm binging TMA right now too-- got through season one today and dove straight into season two. Fictional horror doesn't much scare me outside of jump scares so the evidence dungeon corkboard element is actually really great for keeping me interested, along with the stories themselves being, you know, interesting.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The recent ep about Jonathan’s first run in with a Leitner book really made my skin crawl.

RE: David Cummings I agree he works much better as “crypt keeper” than actual narrator, but he seems like a really nice, enthusiastic guy and to his credit, he’s managed to make podcasting a full-time gig without pausing three times an episode to hock undies, and he churns out the podcast reliably every week, on schedule. I’ve been listening since season 3 and his brother’s passing was the ONLY time he ever missed a scheduled release.

Honestly the timetable contributes to the variable story quality imo. There just aren’t that many quality amateur horror stories being written every week.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Anyone know if Big Data is getting another season? It’s been like a year since the last episode of Little Data and I can’t find any info on it, not even a kickstarter for S2.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
So for those of you who (reasonably) gave up on Tanis, Nic appears to be some kind of immortal dimensional conduit being who is destined to have some sort of boss fight against Grigori Rasputin and Nicolas Flamel and gods loving knows who else to keep D&Desque Cthulhu thing from causing a mass extinction.

There. You're caught up now. I also know you didn't ask. Well, too late. It's a thing you know now.

Why can't I stop listening to this train wreck?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

AstroZamboni posted:

So for those of you who (reasonably) gave up on Tanis, Nic appears to be some kind of immortal dimensional conduit being who is destined to have some sort of boss fight against Grigori Rasputin and Nicolas Flamel and gods loving knows who else to keep D&Desque Cthulhu thing from causing a mass extinction.

I'm not feeling good about our chances if this is the same guy who is confused by a rock.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm not feeling good about our chances if this is the same guy who is confused by a rock.

Count me as Hashtag TeamRasputin!

His beard is dreamy! :allears:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

AstroZamboni posted:

There. You're caught up now. I also know you didn't ask. Well, too late. It's a thing you know now.

Why can't I stop listening to this train wreck?

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I hope he learned all of that in a phone call infodump from a bored-sounding Meerkatnip.