Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Is there a reason I shouldn't buy another Platinum Preppy with a medium nib?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

genesplicer posted:

I'm glad I found this thread. I've had really bad handwriting for my entire life (I came in last place in penmanship for my entire school in grades 4-7, and in high school my teachers often demanded I turn in my work typed.) I decided to work on improving my penmanship a couple of years ago. A friend who is a professional artist suggested that I take up both fountain pens and dip pens, the logic being it would force me to be more careful and deliberate with my writing. It worked. My handwriting has steadily improved, to the point where it is generally legible.

During this time I have also fallen in love with fountain pens, and have managed to pick up many over the last couple of years. I rotate through them on a daily basis, taking a different one to school each day. I'm constantly looking for new ones to add to the collection (I have 3 arriving next week) and I really like the idea of ordering blanks and making my own.

Here's a Top Tip for you: Buy a few cheap Jinhao 992's from eBay and keep them in your Tactical Teaching Bag for when students want to try out your pen, because students are going to want to use them but they don't know the difference between an expensive one and a $2 one. The 992 is a great everyday pen as it is, you won't regret the change you spend!

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm sure there is but the quick answer is that Moleskine actually has atrocious paper compared to just about everything else in the premium notebook market (and have only gotten worse over the years), and they're generally overpriced due to years of branding and hype. You'll have a hard time getting any ink to not feather or bleed through on Moleskine paper.

I'd recommend looking at Leuchtturm 1917, Rhodia, or Clairefontaine if you want paper that works well with just about anything, but is in roughly the same price range as Moleskine.

Wow, Moleskine felt like switching to Two-Ply from the cheap Single-Ply Field Notes I was using, I really need to get some Clairefontaine's.

Are their 1950's or whatever series made with their good paper as well? I need something to fit my leather Field Notes cover.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Tried out a Leuchtturm 1917 (my company had some branded with our logo and gave them out last year ... not sure if they're of lesser quality than the others, but they definitely feel nicer than a Moleskine) and I'm pretty happy with that so far.

The royal blue ink that came with my Lamy Safari is fine for now, but I'm already looking at getting a converter and a bottle of something else. In addition to getting a standard black, I've been looking at some other options. Has anyone tried out the Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz? It was apparently their "ink of the year" last year and is supposedly limited-run? The bottle is really good-looking and I think a brown/sepia ink would look great on cream-colored paper. I've also been looking at their Aventurine for a nice deep green. And at 11 Euros a bottle they don't really break the bank like some more expensive ones would.

Drone fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Feb 15, 2018

Fall
Jun 6, 2011
Lamy Blue fades over time. Quite dramatically. Switch while you can; if you're looking for a rich medium true blue, Visconti Blue is very nice.

I wouldn't call Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine 'deep' but it's definitely vibrant. Behaves very nicely too. It's a middle of the road green, not very blue despite how it looks in the bottle, if a touch lighter than what I'd call "forest green".

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Aventurine is one of my favorite greens, along with Bung Box Norwegian Wood, Diamine Apple Glory, and Monteverde Yosemite Green.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I really dig Smoky Quartz. You should pick it up

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Lowness 72 posted:

Especially if it's on 11 euros. In the states it's close to 30 dollars. I'm excited for olivine.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lowness 72 posted:

Yep, just bought it, and a jar of the Onyx as well to use as a standard black.

It's only been a day and I'm already tired of this Lamy royal blue. It just looks very... idk, it almost reminds me of lovely disposable blue Bic ballpoints. Blue may be some peoples' thing, but I never really cared for it.

No complains about my Safari at all though, it's really fun to write with. Now I just need to decide if I want to try to make my handwriting bigger or not, since the Safari feels like it wants to make bigger, broader strokes than my tiny little chickenscratch is usually capable of.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Drone posted:

It's only been a day and I'm already tired of this Lamy royal blue. It just looks very... idk, it almost reminds me of lovely disposable blue Bic ballpoints. Blue may be some peoples' thing, but I never really cared for it.

Have you met my friend, Akkerman #5?

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
That picture makes me want a flex nib so bad.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Drone posted:

No complains about my Safari at all though, it's really fun to write with. Now I just need to decide if I want to try to make my handwriting bigger or not, since the Safari feels like it wants to make bigger, broader strokes than my tiny little chickenscratch is usually capable of.

I know at least one person who really likes Lamy inks, but I feel like they need to step up their game. The default blue they come with is not very attractive and pretty uninspiring, I actually thought I'd trade off or sell my safari until I put different ink in it, now it's one of my favorite pens.

I'm honestly not sure why any pen ships with a non-black cartridge. Black seems like it's the safest, most neutral bet. I haven't used a ton of black inks but it seems like it's tough to screw up.

howe_sam posted:

I am jealous of your shockingly consistent handwriting,

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

howe_sam posted:

Welp.

(I assume that would look way less impressive with just a bog-standard M nib right)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Depends on the paper, but you can still get tasty sheen with a medium. This is on Rhodia.

MockingQuantum posted:

I am jealous of your shockingly consistent handwriting,
In this instance that was not my handwriting. I went looking for the most showoffy picture of Shocking Blue I could find.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Depends on the paper, but you can still get tasty sheen with a medium. This is on Rhodia.

In this instance that was not my handwriting. I went looking for the most showoffy picture of Shocking Blue I could find.

tbf I'm jealous of anyone who has remotely legible handwriting so I'm probably jealous of yours anyway. My handwriting is trash, though it's been steadily improving since I've started writing daily with FPs.

I still despise writing in cursive though, so there's that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Since there's a sample party going on. I love black ink. I'm boring.

Also the lowercase t is the bane of my existence.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 15, 2018

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
For blues I quite like Sailor Jentle Four Seasons Souten.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Also the lowercase t is the bane of my existence.

I love writing lower case t's. It's a perfect spot to add a dramatic flourish to your handwriting.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

First Valentine's Day with my new girlfriend, she gets me a dip pen set with a quill, two inks, and sealing wax.

This one's a keeper. :swoon:

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

My PenBBS pens came in, a 308 and a 323.

Put some J. Herbin in them: a nice, basic ink for testing. Not terribly wet, but not too dry; smooth, requires very little pressure. They both write quite well, and are pretty and seem well-made. Happy with these purchases.

Also since we're posting handwriting samples, here's a pic of a project I've had going on and off for the last three years, copying out The Lord of the Rings by hand. I'm not as far as you might think, but we'll get to Bree eventually.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

atholbrose posted:

My PenBBS pens came in, a 308 and a 323.

Put some J. Herbin in them: a nice, basic ink for testing. Not terribly wet, but not too dry; smooth, requires very little pressure. They both write quite well, and are pretty and seem well-made. Happy with these purchases.

Some pretty, pretty colours. Do you know what the gradient name was for the 308?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

grack posted:

Some pretty, pretty colours. Do you know what the gradient name was for the 308?
I bought it from a seller called best999, who didn't have them named, just by model number: 308-39SF. It's now out of stock. There's a picture of in the group shot on office_supply_pens' 308 listing but I guess it's also out of stock there.

I'm very tempted to buy a red 323. I wasn't sure about the shape, but it's pretty nice, and I don't mind the lack of a clip.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

howe_sam posted:

I love writing lower case t's. It's a perfect spot to add a dramatic flourish to your handwriting.

Yeah but that's because you can write :mad:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Drone posted:

I wasn't down with Blue thanks to MB's Royal Blue and Lamy's Blue, but switching to Monteverde Capri Blue has made me a fan.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
MBs royal blue is so boooooring.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah but that's because you can write :mad:

If it makes you feel better I'm terrible at r's coming out of lowercase b, o, or w, and my z's are a shitshow.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Big fan of the letter t. Although if you’re looking for a good spot for a needless flourish, lowercase f is better. Unless you’re like me and cross all the way back from the end of the word to cross your t (see: “decent” in the postscript)

Even on pretty bad paper, alt-goldgrun is stunningly well behaved

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

Zenostein posted:

Even on pretty bad paper, alt-goldgrun is stunningly well behaved

Lucky. My (very gorgeous) bottle is temperamental.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

atholbrose posted:

Also since we're posting handwriting samples, here's a pic of a project I've had going on and off for the last three years, copying out The Lord of the Rings by hand. I'm not as far as you might think, but we'll get to Bree eventually.

Good god. I hope that's in a durable notebook so you can show it off to nerds after the apocalypse.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Sorry 'bout the lovely pic, but I found an Osmiroid 65 (working!) in an antique story today with this weird, three-tined oblique nib. Never quite seen this one before.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Im working on a letter to a friend, copying down a very, very angry man excommunicating a bunch of people. Its Noodler's Antietam but I'm curious how it might compare to diamine oxblood.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

grack posted:

Sorry 'bout the lovely pic, but I found an Osmiroid 65 (working!) in an antique story today with this weird, three-tined oblique nib. Never quite seen this one before.

Are three tines a Music Nib?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lowness 72 posted:

Trip report (even if I misspelled Pelikan):

Shout out to the bad handwriting crew.

My boss noticed me writing with a fountain pen today and asked me since when I've started doing that. That led to her watching me with great interest as I filled up my converter with the Smoky Quartz and tossed the lovely Lamy blue cartridge, and now she's looking at getting into it herself too. Pretty ink and pens can be contagious, I guess.

German kids apparently learn how to use fountain pens pretty young. Her son has an older Lamy Safari too that she's thinking about appropriating :v:

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
You should also get the Edelstein Blue. Forget the name but it's super pretty. I prefer it over Kon Peki.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lowness 72 posted:

You should also get the Edelstein Blue. Forget the name but it's super pretty. I prefer it over Kon Peki.

The Aventurine is next on the list I think.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Lowness 72 posted:

There are many blue Edelsteins, but I suspect you're referring to Topaz. It is pretty, I have a pen inked with it right now.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Topaz! That's it.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

MockingQuantum posted:

tbf I'm jealous of anyone who has remotely legible handwriting so I'm probably jealous of yours anyway. My handwriting is trash, though it's been steadily improving since I've started writing daily with FPs.

I still despise writing in cursive though, so there's that.

:same:

I do want to get a fancy sheen ink like a J. Herbin once I get my fancy pen. Pilot Iroshizuku is good for now though; rich color, seems to work well in my pens.

AManWearingAHat
Feb 2, 2018
Joining the club.

Started on a Lamy Safari, quickly got addicted but I jumped ship to Japan. A European extra fine wasn't fine enough for me.

Pilot Vanishing Point
Pilot Custom 74
adding a Pilot E95S soon. (noticing a pattern?

Vanishing Point is my every day use pen. I'm partial to pilots in general because I love thin fine lines and their extra fine nibs are pure sex in my hand. They tend to write a touch dry when first received but a little careful pressure and it opens right up to produce a great line.

Every day ink I use Noodler's X-Feather. For your writing pleasure I use Pilot Iroshizuku in Take-Sumi black.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I love Pilot. If I don't count each Lamy special edition color I have more Pilots than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

All I have from Pilot at this point is Metros, but they're far and away my favorite pens I have. What's the natural "next step up" pen from Pilot, if there is one?