Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it turned out that he didn't get spider powers or brain damage. instead, the transfusion gave banner peter's propensity for failure. it's not that he can't become the hulk any more, just that he can't do it when it would be useful in any way.

It's this.

snype edit: i need pictures! Pictures of spiderman!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Push El Burrito posted:

I thought he told Hulk a bunch of aliens called him a sissy? I try to block that from my mind.

he did. that was the "the a doesn't stand for france" storyline of the ultimates and it was bad. tho it would later get worse...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Can wr stop bringing up the worst hulk

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Can wr stop bringing up the worst hulk

No one's talking about Ang Lee's film.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lurdiak posted:

No one's talking about Ang Lee's film.

Hey now, that was like 80-85% of a really interesting film!

That last 10-15% though.... hoo boy :stare:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That Hulk (and those Ultimates in general) were meant to be dubious figures rather than outright heroes is the thing. The Hulk being an unleashed super-fragile male id was meant as a commentary on Banner being a snotty Nice Guy who was incredibly insecure about his own masculinity. Similarly, Ultimate Cap is meant to be a jingoistic expression of American imperialism.

Ultimate Banner is separated from Betty Ross, in disgrace because of his previous tenure as the Hulk, and ends up re-injecting himself with the Hulk serum on purpose when he overhears Hank Pym saying that he looks like Steve Buscemi.

I actually think Ultimate Hulk works really well because he's a petty, rampaging monster fuelled by a specifically male insecurity and rage, and is a critique of how that "fragile nerd" persona often has angry darkness lurking underneath. He's usually used as a villain, not a hero. He's the antagonist of the first Ultimates arc, and spends the second being confined to a cell before being deployed as a last-ditch hope against an alien invasion.

I mean, you wouldn't want the mainline Hulk to be like that, but it's a generative alternative take on, "willowy nerd becomes rage-fuelled juggernaut", similar to how Ultimate Captain America is basically an acknowledgement that America doesn't really live up to its highest values all the time.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's just a shame Jeph Loeb got his hands on the Ultimate Universe.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Banner's a scientist, right? He's aware his body is eventually gonna replace the Spider-Blood with his own, yes? Presumably also removing the anti-hulk effects?

Seconding the "wow I didn't see banner as a fygm guy" sentiment

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The MSJ posted:

It is pretty amazing that one guy managed to entirely destroy an entire line of comics. I really liked most of that set of comics until it went completely off the rails and I can track it almost to a day to the release of his comics.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

evilmiera posted:

It is pretty amazing that one guy managed to entirely destroy an entire line of comics. I really liked most of that set of comics until it went completely off the rails and I can track it almost to a day to the release of his comics.

Loeb was the last straw for me but I really cant say I enjoyed Ultimate X-Men for some time by that point and that was my in to that universe. None of the limited series were really any good either, with Iron Man being just bad to Daredevil being a less interesting take on Frank Millers run on he comic.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

The MSJ posted:

Almost all the things cited in this thread happened in Volume 1. Ultimates was garbage from the start(Except Spider-man).

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

imo Ultimates 1 is excellent, Ultimates 2 is good with flaws, and then Ultimates 3 is unreadable Jeph Loeb nonsense. Keep in mind Ultimates 1 came out in 2002, way before the, "grittier take on a four-colour superhero universe," thing was an overplayed trope.

Even apart from the more outre things, some of which are stupid, there's just a lot of good comics writing and character work in those books. Bryan Hitch's artwork is also bonkers good and gorgeous.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I did like the Ultimate Iron Man series being retconned into being an unauthorized anime.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Banner's a scientist, right? He's aware his body is eventually gonna replace the Spider-Blood with his own, yes? Presumably also removing the anti-hulk effects?

He was aware of that before he got Spider-Blood, now he can't even do multiplication tables anymore.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'M CURED get hosed everyone

In some nutty way, I guess I win!
-Bruce Banner minutes after receiving Spider-Man blood.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Samuringa posted:

Almost all the things cited in this thread happened in Volume 1. Ultimates was garbage from the start(Except Spider-man).

Nah.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I think there is a place for the Ultimates reading of superheroes as jingoistic thugs, so long there remains a place for the real Captain America who is the worlds most decent human being. I liked the Ultimate universe more than enough to get real disappointed with how it turned out.

Though I would hesitate to read into that jingoism as actual critique, the early 2000s were kind of an awful time, and media from that period really should be taken at face value a lot of the time.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 15, 2018

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
The Ultimates are a very “Bush-era” type of story, for better or worse (mostly for worse).

It’s been years since I’ve read it, and I’m honestly kind of ambivalent on ever going back to it, but I remember enjoying it in the same way I enjoyed 24 back in the day.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

remusclaw posted:

I think there is a place for the Ultimates reading of superheroes as jingoistic thugs, so long there remains a place for the real Captain America who is the worlds most decent human being. I liked the Ultimate universe more than enough to get real disappointed with how it turned out.

Though I would hesitate to read into that jingoism as actual critique, the early 2000s were kind of an awful time, and media from that period really should be taken at face value a lot of the time.

There's a lot of stuff in the first Ultimates about the team being a product of the military-industrial complex (like, not subtext, but explicitly Thor disgustedly saying it's a MIC project and that it will only be a matter of time before "fighting supervillains" becomes "securing oil reserves and bringing democracy to the Middle East"). Then in Ultimates 2 you get the squad of Giant-Men, along with Cap himself, being used as soldiers in the Iraq War. Plus Cap being rolled out in front of President Bush in a big publicity parade and Nick Fury having meetings with Dick Cheney.

It is often pretty sympathetic to the characters, but I think that's part of texturing them out and giving them depth. Like, Ultimate Cap isn't a slavering monster, and to a degree the book wants you to root for him, but I don't think it wants you to think of him as a true hero. Same deal with characters like Banner or Hank Pym, where their Ultimate versions are real monsters but still have scenes where they're imbued with pathos and humanity.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Android Blues posted:

imo Ultimates 1 is excellent, Ultimates 2 is good with flaws, and then Ultimates 3 is unreadable Jeph Loeb nonsense. Keep in mind Ultimates 1 came out in 2002, way before the, "grittier take on a four-colour superhero universe," thing was an overplayed trope.

Even apart from the more outre things, some of which are stupid, there's just a lot of good comics writing and character work in those books. Bryan Hitch's artwork is also bonkers good and gorgeous.

Maybe not an overplayed trope but Ultimates was basically What If the Avengers were Stormwatch/The Authority, which were years old at that point.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
And, to be fair, Mark Millar licks goats.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Android Blues posted:

There's a lot of stuff in the first Ultimates about the team being a product of the military-industrial complex (like, not subtext, but explicitly Thor disgustedly saying it's a MIC project and that it will only be a matter of time before "fighting supervillains" becomes "securing oil reserves and bringing democracy to the Middle East"). Then in Ultimates 2 you get the squad of Giant-Men, along with Cap himself, being used as soldiers in the Iraq War. Plus Cap being rolled out in front of President Bush in a big publicity parade and Nick Fury having meetings with Dick Cheney.

Some amount of that got carried over into the MCU also.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Push El Burrito posted:

Oddly prescient of Bloodstone to be covering one of the stars there given how Brexit would turn out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Android Blues posted:

It is often pretty sympathetic to the characters, but I think that's part of texturing them out and giving them depth. Like, Ultimate Cap isn't a slavering monster, and to a degree the book wants you to root for him, but I don't think it wants you to think of him as a true hero. Same deal with characters like Banner or Hank Pym, where their Ultimate versions are real monsters but still have scenes where they're imbued with pathos and humanity.

I thought the stuff with Wasp and Cap's relationship was really good.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

ConfusedUs posted:

Some amount of that got carried over into the MCU also.

Of course, the MCU took the best part of the Ultimates: Samuel L. Jackson as Fury.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Push El Burrito posted:

It's a currency symbol, so it stands for Capitalism, which is basically synonymous to America, so yes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

remusclaw posted:

I usually dislike when one comic creator quite clearly is taking a shot at another, or at least some story they told (like Frank Tieri's awful "answer" to Garth Ennis' Punisher/Wolverine fight) but I really loved that issue of (regular Marvel) Captain America that came out shortly after "DO YOU THINK THIS A STANDS FOR FRANCE!?!" story. It features Cap musing about France in the light of the growing anti-French sentiment in America after the Iraq Invasion, and thinking about the French Resistance fighters he fought alongside in World War II, and how they had continued fighting even after their Government surrendered, long after all hope was gone and it seemed impossible that Germany could ever be defeated.

That's the kind of Cap I like :patriot:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Question IRL posted:

Oddly prescient of Bloodstone to be covering one of the stars there given how Brexit would turn out.

Fun fact: the stars don't actually stand for anything. There's no symbolism in there being 12 of then, it just looked nice.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh no peter doesn’t understand

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Bruce's stubble will soon cover his entire face.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"I've always liked to think I don't actually have anything in common with Spider-Man."

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Push El Burrito posted:

He's turning into Cousin It.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
I can't believe how stupid and nonchalant he is about it even beyond the fact that his blood will eventually replace Peter's.

Yes, I have highly irradiated blood in my veins, the effects of which have been shown to be incredibly toxic in other permutations of this universe (if you want to take that awful comic where MJ got cancer as canon). I have no worries about this having effects on me. I apparently believe I will always be irradiated for the rest of my life and cannot conceive that this could have dangerous effects on me now that I'm effectively a civilian

NEXT: A slow painful death due to a lethal dose of radioactivity!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
And considering superhero logic, who knows what batshit effects gamma blood+radioactive spider blood would have, waiting to happen at the least convenient time.

Maybe getting hit by bricks turns him into the Hulk now. Maybe now he'll have spidersense, but it only warns him when purple pants are nearby. Or maybe his entire body will slowly be covered with beard stubble. The possibilities are endless!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

"I've always liked to think I don't actually have anything in common with Spider-Man."

That's not even subtext... that's just text

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Push El Burrito posted:

The proportional fur of a spider.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

maybe it will be like a tarantula and he'll be able to fire the stubble as a defense mechanism.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

i'd like to think that too, but sadly i cannot.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I love that this whole blood sharing storyline has completely ignored one of the most famous, and arguably best Spider-Man stories of all time. The whole Master Planner Saga / If This Be My Destiny storyline was kicked off because Peter donated blood to Aunt May and the radiation in his blood began to kill her. It was a Stan Lee story!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Spider blood. Spider blood. Radioactive spider blood.