Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fabricated posted:

Golem Hearts and Full Drive are canned looks like.

Aww thats a shame.
But you could say it truly was Garbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

golem hearts was ok but I'm not surprised it was canceled. I never fully got behind the main conceit (the golems)

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I was interested in seeing more of it, I'm always down for some basic shonen action stuff and the golems were a unique enough take on it to spark a bit of "huh let's see where this goes" but I guess Japan doesn't agree.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
This is why you never invest in a shounen series until 6 months of ratings prove it has staying power. And then you get to binge read 25 or so chapters.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I don't think anyone is surprised by the latter. It was okay, but extremely generic.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Can’t say I’m too surprised, GH was generic as all hell and Full Drive’s art was just arse

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Full Drives dialog was baffling to me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

SpazmasterX posted:

This is why you never invest in a shounen series until 6 months of ratings prove it has staying power. And then you get to binge read 25 or so chapters.

rip psyren. something far better suited to a seinen manga imo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

rip psyren. something far better suited to a seinen manga imo

Psyren was a really solid series. It was a shame it had a pretty rushed ending, though it wasn't quite as rushed/bad as the endings to many other series. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes shounen fighting stuff.

The main character's gimmick/abilities were fun and they did a good job of selling that one long-haired telekinetic guy as a total badass. That one physical figther yakuza-looking guy also owned.

edit: In retrospect it was kind of a predecessor to the modern "death games" genre.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea psyren's ending wasn't bad. obviously rushed but I think the author handled it well

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i thought the mc's power in psyren was rad as heck but the rest of the manga was kinda mediocre.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Man I forgot that her best friend was also the best. Been a while since we've seen her.
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/51/page/1

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I feel so sorry for Ogata's dad...
Dude just wants his daughter to love him.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Hinomaru Zoumu feels like it's being propped up by something.

It spends over 100 chapters finishing out high school, then literally jumps 2 1/2 years or so in the space of like 3 chapters. Hinomaru joins the pros, makes it into the upper ranks semi-offpanel, then it jumps a little over 2 years to him having a flashback about taking a serious injury when he first entered the upper ranks...right as he re-enters the upper ranks (basically in sumo there's a lower half of the rankings that is basically AAA to the upper rank's MLB). Weird pacing, like it's just meant to age him up or something.

I'm not totally familiar with all of the sports manga that have been in Jump obviously but have there been series that are that long of a burn? Taking a long time to go through high school, then into the pros rather than say- RobotxLaserbeam's like "okay my editors say we should move onto the pros like right now let's go" sort of thing.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 18, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah that double timeskip in the space of a few chapters was bizarre. I guess arc 2 was going to be him working his way up before the injury, and arc 3 is him coming back from that and actually accomplishing something, so they decided to just skip to that.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 18, 2018

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I don't know what it is about romantic comedy series, but everyone seems to forget to knock on the door.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Allarion posted:

Man I forgot that her best friend was also the best. Been a while since we've seen her.
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/51/page/1

I'm always amused when they acknowledge odd poses in the story with the wrong conclusions. Like with her best friend. :)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dude could use his own life as inspiration for his manga.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

taishi tsutsui is a goddamn treasure his author comments about his daugther are adorable.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

He really seems like a genuinely good guy.

Also I adore his art. I'm still firmly team Furuhashi, but damned if this last chapter didn't try its best to unseat her with how stupidly cute Rizu was drawn.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is Viz's SJ reader running like poo poo for everyone else or is it just me?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

Is Viz's SJ reader running like poo poo for everyone else or is it just me?

The reader has always been bad.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mraagvpeine posted:

The reader has always been bad.
Yeah but it's never been "literally can't load past page 10 for 2 days, all the while occasionally not being able to log in at all" bad.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

A Dragon Ball Super chapter just dropped on Viz's site and is free to anyone, so maybe it's like Crunchyroll where it can't handle it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

crunchyroll isn't usually trashed for days after a super episode tho so idk

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

double post but wow the ending to golem hearts is even more rushed than bleach (but somehow still better). they really didn't give the author any time to work with

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

^ Just checked out it and wow I don't think I've ever seen an ending that rushed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's pretty common with the manga that get cancelled super fast.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I gotta check it out, I love abrupt shonen manga endings. Did it just end or did it do a time jump?

My favorite is probably Takamagahara or whatever it was, where the guy who could turn animals into guns was shown in the future and he had a whole page of him and his arsenal of animal guns. It was incredible.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

...It was a better ending than Red Sprite at least?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mulderman posted:

...It was a better ending than Red Sprite at least?
Literally like 2 pages of an underwhelming final battle then Noah bring crowned the best arcanist 5 years later.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The chapter right before it was the chapter teasing the start of the actual plot and first arc villain so it was a very bad time, of all the bad times, to end it.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah, but at least it "finished" the story. Red Sprite ended on what felt like a series introduction chapter.

I wish more series went the Stealth Symphony route and just go balls to the walls insane.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Thank you, Golem Hearts
For dying so Araki's new one-shot: "Kishibe Rohan does not move!" can be announced.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I will say that the pages with noah pronouncing his creator/dad the greatest arcanist were nice

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
golem hearts was an okay idea but it was executed in the most bland way possible

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I've been thinking:
Are there any shonen sports anime about Curling.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I've been thinking:
Are there any shonen sports anime about Curling.

that's...the forbidden stone, it only surfaces once every 5000 years when powerful warriors are curling with their souls on the line

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Furuhashi chapter!

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/52/page/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Fumino had so many great faces in that one chapter.