Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm still sorta confused and unhappy with how Ultron was created. So he was a virus-like alien AI that was stored in the Mind Gem? Does that mean he ran the Mind Gem? If so, why didn't he have Mind Gem powers? Why was the Mind Gem still powered after he was extracted from it? Are there AIs stored in the other Infinity Gems? How much of Ultron was already part of the AI and how much was the code built by Tony and Bruce? It kinda seemed like they just extracted the data and then Ultron just took off from their without them doing much? Why didn't Ultron just do that from the beginning?

I like Ultron but I think it would've been better if he was just something totally created by someone instead of an insane alien hiding in a rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

:3:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamesman posted:

I'm still sorta confused and unhappy with how Ultron was created. So he was a virus-like alien AI that was stored in the Mind Gem? Does that mean he ran the Mind Gem? If so, why didn't he have Mind Gem powers? Why was the Mind Gem still powered after he was extracted from it? Are there AIs stored in the other Infinity Gems? How much of Ultron was already part of the AI and how much was the code built by Tony and Bruce? It kinda seemed like they just extracted the data and then Ultron just took off from their without them doing much? Why didn't Ultron just do that from the beginning?

I like Ultron but I think it would've been better if he was just something totally created by someone instead of an insane alien hiding in a rock.

Tony and Bruce were working on an AI to power Tony's armor for the world plan. They named it Ultron. But they couldn't get it to be smart enough for what they needed, so it was on ice.

During the Hydra raid, Scarlet Witch Inceptions Tony and he's being subtly manipulated from this point on.

Tony asks Thor to study the scepter before it's taken back to Asgard. He discovers some sort of neural network inside the mind stone, which he asks Bruce to help him make a copy of. They run some tests until they find whatever settings are needed to successfully merge it with the Ultron AI. Tony and Bruce then go to the party and leave JARVIS in charge to finish construction.

The new AI was too strong and broke through JARVIS, saw the internet, and determined humanity must die. He probably looked here.

Ultron's personality comes from the AI. The neural network in the mind stone is not self aware.

Also Thanos probably planned it all out.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I guess we won’t get the big payoff moment of Cap lifting Mjolnir against Thanos. Unless they work out some way to bring it back.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
SPOILERS and all but supposedly thor gets/makes a new hammer in iw maybe cap can lift that one

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I guess we won’t get the big payoff moment of Cap lifting Mjolnir against Thanos.

We will get the next best thing: Cap swinging Thor around.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lobok posted:

We will get the next best thing: Cap swinging Thor around.

A new twist on GET HELP

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/__spicflair/status/964287191684993024

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

This right here is the hero we loving deserve.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Zamunda/Wakanda shared universe when

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

Zamunda/Wakanda shared universe when

Fun fact, I'm phone posting so I won't google and post the pics but the Black Panther cast had a Coming to America theme party and it was off the hook.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

A poor king cartoon

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Black Panther is easily the best Marvel movie. I don't think it's my favorite but it's real close and it's absolutely a better movie then my favorites.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Black Panther was real good. Shuri is the best.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
So loving good. God drat it's hard not to root for Killmonger.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I was legit brought to tears several times during that movie. Like I just felt something come over me and I couldn't hold them back. To steal a qoute, "Is this what white people feel like all the time?!"

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

JT Smiley posted:

"Is this what white people feel like all the time?!"

No. Nothing feels like this for us. We've stollen our glory and are left bitter and cruel without triumph.

And I'm not just saying this because I just got out of Black Panther.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 16, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Black Panther is really loving good, y’all.

Killmonger did nothing wrong

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Peacing out til I see BP tomorrow.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Black Panther is really loving good, y’all.

Killmonger did nothing wrong

Yo. Glad I'm not the only one. Michael B Jordan's character is so good in this movie and it's my only small complaint that we didn't get more of him.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Black Panther was an incredibly emotional film, and Killmonger has managed to top the Vulture for me.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I just got back from my screening of BP

Wakanda. Forever.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

JT Smiley posted:

I was legit brought to tears several times during that movie. Like I just felt something come over me and I couldn't hold them back. To steal a qoute, "Is this what white people feel like all the time?!"

It is for me, for whatever reason I get very emotionally sucked into movies and will cry even when bad ones clumsily try to be sad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RevolverDivider posted:

Black Panther is easily the best Marvel movie. I don't think it's my favorite but it's real close and it's absolutely a better movie then my favorites.

Yeah, this is pretty much my thoughts. It absolutely exceeded my every expectation.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Killmonger is a hotep rear end dude. He was not right.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
If Killmonger had been just a little bit less of an rear end, I'd be on his side 100% His father was correct. drat, BP was a good movie. My only real complaint is tht I want to see that 3.5 hour cut because (third act spoilers) It felt super rushed, once they took Ross to Wakanda everything happened so fast, there was no real time to see how hosed up a king Killmonger was. We got the scene of him choking out the elder and burning the heart shaped herb, and we know in abstract that sending out Wakandan weapons is going to be a bad thing, but we never really see him being a disaster.

Also, loving jabari tribe at the end was amazing!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah I don't know what the early reviews were smoking when they said Killmonger was rote or one-dimensional or whatever. I thought he was compelling as gently caress. Most of the moments of this film that just knocked the wind right out of me came from him.

I do have lil' bits of nitpicks with this film (the succession system of Wakanda is just, ultimately...really loving dumb? Like you probably shouldn't be talking about how advanced and wise your people are when your monarchy is basically decided through blood sport and also it doesn't even follow any real line of succession but like, all your cousins and neighbors and probably the dude who sells cars a block or two away can just challenge your right to rule through fisticuffs so that's probably something y'all should look into fixing) but, man, this is definitely one of those movies that I wished would never end so that it would keep on taking my breath away over and over.

Also: "Don't scare me like that, colonizer!" :xd:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
like any good Hotep the second his woman became a hindrance he dispatched his black queen with no hesitation

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

BrianWilly posted:

I do have lil' bits of nitpicks with this film (the succession system of Wakanda is just, ultimately...really loving dumb? Like you probably shouldn't be talking about how advanced and wise your people are when your monarchy is basically decided through blood sport and also it doesn't even follow any real line of succession but like, all your cousins and neighbors and probably the dude who sells cars a block or two away can just challenge your right to rule through fisticuffs so that's probably something y'all should look into fixing) but, man, this is definitely one of those movies that I wished would never end so that it would keep on taking my breath away over and over.

The impression I got was that it was largely a formality at this point, with all the tribes giving their okays by default, maybe unless the heir was a real poo poo or something. Everyone seemed pretty surprised when the Jabari showed up. Tradition's also clearly super important to their society so they kept it on the books.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don’t know if it can be considered a formality when everyone ends up following it pretty much to the letter. Like, half of the standing army was willing to go to war for this random new king that showed up from NorCal. They probably woulda followed M’Baku too if he really had won that first contest. I mean, our democracy’s not working out too well for us either at the moment :sweatdrop: but that’s still some super shifty politics!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Sgt. Politeness posted:

So loving good. God drat it's hard not to root for Killmonger.
I mean, certainly his motivation, sure. His goals are not that good though. You can kind of empathise because he was innocent, his father (who wasn't that innocent) was killed and he was left to fend for himself. It doesn't make him the rightful King, and his father wasn't right either. But yeah, I definitely found him a compelling character.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I saw Black Panther last night.
It's good. T'Challa and Kilmonger are great. I also liked Shuri and M'Buku a lot (really thought that they would be annoying but they were great.)
Martin Freeman does his best but he really should have been more like his comic counterpart and just been more clueless and ideally spent the film in a dressing gown aka Arthur Dent.

Visually the film looks great (particularly the cinematography) but it falls apart during some of the action scenes.

I liked it a lot.

Spoilers follow.

Like the fights were hard to follow. The camera was too zoomed in for the fight in the Nightclub.
And the final fight...I get what they were going for. The colour scheme (with purple and gold clashing ) was good but I think it was added because otherwise it was too much like a cutscene from a PS2 game.
I liked the idea that the train rail was deactivating the Panther suits, but then they kept turning it on and off.
I felt the final fight would have been better if they had just kept the suits off. Like the original fight between Kilmonger and T'Challa was great.

As for Kilmonger, I can understand emphatising with him. But let's not forget, this man was a trained killer. And one who was proud of all the people he killed, at home and abroad. He killed his own colleges and allies at a moments notice.
And his overall plan was about putting Wakanda and himself in charge.
Like even Adrian Toomes plan would have caused lots of damage and loss of life. But his end goal was getting money.

Kilmonger's plan was for a bloody revolution, followed by more anarchy.
And probably him killing anyone who dared challenge him.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

I mean, certainly his motivation, sure. His goals are not that good though. You can kind of empathise because he was innocent, his father (who wasn't that innocent) was killed and he was left to fend for himself. It doesn't make him the rightful King, and his father wasn't right either. But yeah, I definitely found him a compelling character.

I think it's the opposite his dad just wanted to give power to the people, Killmonger wants to "rule the world" but as far as violent uprising is concerned, can't blame I guy for trying.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Him instantly burning the Herb after gaining the power, and then talking like there would be no other king, no one to challenge him, kinda undercuts his populist message.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
As awesome as it would be to be a lead in one of these big budget super hero movies it's got to be a nightmare getting in shape for them. At one point Micheal B. Jordan is shirtless and looks like a loving He-man action figure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JT Smiley posted:

As awesome as it would be to be a lead in one of these big budget super hero movies it's got to be a nightmare getting in shape for them. At one point Micheal B. Jordan is shirtless and looks like a loving He-man action figure.

Dude, he always looks like that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They are of course always in great shape for superhero movies, but when they do those shirtless scenes they basically do what fighters do for weight cuts to look even bigger.

The ones who do the whole movie shirtless like Batista can't quite do that without dying, so even though he's an enormous monster who can tear you in half, he looks smaller than Pratt does in his own shirtless scene.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

He talked about it on Desus and Mero, for Creed he wanted to look like an actual fighter. So he kept it to a specific weight and body look.

For Black Panther he wanted to look intimidating so he just packed on muscle.

But yeah he was loving huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XsIu01UDoo&t=360s

6 minutes in

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 16, 2018

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Dexo posted:

He talked about it on Desus and Mero, for Creed he wanted to look like an actual fighter. So he kept it to a specific weight and body look.

For Black Panther he wanted to look intimidating so he just packed on muscle.

But yeah he was loving huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XsIu01UDoo&t=360s

6 minutes in

Desus & Mero have the best interviews, it's like everybody gets done with the press circuit and then drops by to hang out.

#1 show in late night ya ball bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/918626979040997376

Will it tho?

• Locked thread