Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

cool startup feel posted:

maybe we could put one in your mom's bathtub boom roasted

gently caress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't think fusion will ever be a source of electric power, period. not in my lifetime, not in your lifetime, probably not in the lifetime of our species

iter and the stellarator are fascinating exercises in high energy physics but i have no idea how either one is meant to lead to electric power generation

when you think about it solar power is fusion based :v:

iirc one of the proposed electrical power extraction methods for fusion reactors is to line the thing with optical ports and direct the visible-UV radiation onto photovoltaic arrays.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

2. tritium is radioactive and seeps through everything. imagine hydrogen embrittlement, except, also, anything it embrittles is also radioactive

can't they store it as heavy water and separate it on site?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

ate all the Oreos posted:

it's just beta radiation, yawn

I think he's saying they store it as a gas or liquefied gas and gasses that emit beta particles are very bad for people's lungs

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

cis autodrag posted:

Just got my first ever shares and set them to sell at market opening. Gonna pay off a credit card and the coinsurance for my titties.

nice and smart

too many people think theyre rich cause they have a bunch of GOOG or AMZN but if you lose your job that will probably coincide w a stock dip 📉

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
sometimes I wonder if it's a good idea to short the company stock or a general tech index to reduce my exposure to the tech or advertising industry making GBS threads itself but I don't care enough to actually bother. plus it sounds like it might be illegal or a conflict of interest

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

sometimes I wonder if it's a good idea to short the company stock or a general tech index to reduce my exposure to the tech or advertising industry making GBS threads itself but I don't care enough to actually bother. plus it sounds like it might be illegal or a conflict of interest

You wouldn't short the stock, you'd buy out of the money puts if you wanted to hedge a collapse in price. It's prohibited by every employment agreement I've seen though, and legally shaky as long as you're employed by that company. A tech index etf is probably fine though, legally speaking.

In either case, it's probably too expensive to do continuously as a retail investor to be worth it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

do feel free to take a break in positing possible future energy sources to enjoy the fact that solar with storage is in fact looking set to take over a large section of the market

It's not actually looking like that.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Munkeymon posted:

Mine it from lithium in the reactor.

D-T fusion is essentially D-Lithium fusion with regards to what gets sent to the plant.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
you hedge against a collapse of the industry you work in by investing in everything but that industry

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I honestly think the proposals for small reactors that are essentially "dig a big hole in the ground, throw this prepackaged reactor in the ground, it puts out 50 megawatts. We'll be back in 10 years to swap it out for a fresh one" are pretty cool especially for remote areas, but I'm realistic that it's gonna take like 20 years for anything to get certified these days.

In the interim, high-voltage DC lines are making big advances in cost, so that should help moving solar/wind power around where its needed.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i dont like startups /opinion

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

what does "fast growing" truly mean

to me it means "we're hiring a lot of engineers whether or not it is a good idea"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

FrozenVent posted:

you hedge against a collapse of the industry you work in by investing in everything but that industry

ding ding ding

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

apparently the whole nuke industry in the us is hosed by cheap natgas and the lack of a carbon tax and also by being mbad to death

like smrs are probably the best bet because the industry is bankrupt cant manage a project of any large scale

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i need to figure out a way to monetize bad posts. income security for life.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

President Beep posted:

i need to figure out a way to monetize bad posts. income security for life.

start a social media site, sell to one of the bigger ones

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Apple Employees Keep Smacking Into Their New Headquarters' Glass Walls

http://time.com/5162419/apple-new-headquarters-glass/

lol like birds

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

reminder that one of the first things the trump admin did was rescind the executive order that disallowed coal slurry from being dumped into rivers

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Rex-Goliath posted:

reminder that one of the first things the trump admin did was rescind the executive order that disallowed coal slurry from being dumped into rivers

Wait... Trump: bad?

:thunk:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Jimmy Carter posted:

I honestly think the proposals for small reactors that are essentially "dig a big hole in the ground, throw this prepackaged reactor in the ground, it puts out 50 megawatts. We'll be back in 10 years to swap it out for a fresh one" are pretty cool especially for remote areas, but I'm realistic that it's gonna take like 20 years for anything to get certified these days.

In the interim, high-voltage DC lines are making big advances in cost, so that should help moving solar/wind power around where its needed.

what do you do when you want it to stop putting out 50 megawatts

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sapozhnik posted:

You dig it up and put it somewhere else that does want the 50MW?

I mean, the whole thing would be housed in a cement-clad lead envelope I assume?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sapozhnik posted:

connect it to somewhere that wants it duh

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

tech is a bubble imo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

PCjr sidecar posted:

apparently the whole nuke industry in the us is hosed by cheap natgas and the lack of a carbon tax and also by being mbad to death

like smrs are probably the best bet because the industry is bankrupt cant manage a project of any large scale

as an energy feminist i appreciate that i have the choice between musk li-ion and fracking

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Munkeymon posted:

the mode of separation is operating a heavy-water fission reactor

so sure you could do that but then you no longer need the tokamak/stellarator :)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

crabrock posted:

lol like birds

from this time last year:

Apple was also reportedly obsessed with doorways, insisting that they should be completely flat without any threshold the argument being that if staff had to change their gait, it would risk distracting them.

also lol this is an old engineering joke/apocryphal story come to life:

The company also appears to have demanded too-strict tolerances in measurements, treating architecture like its electronics. Whereas most construction projects max out at 1/8th of an inch, Apple often pushed for even smaller figures, which conflicted with real-world limits.

"With phones, you can build to very, very minute tolerances," a former architect said. "You would never design to that level of tolerance on a building. Your doors would jam."

usually it's told about a junior engineer under a time crunch is given their first large chunk of design to perform: the foundation for a building. he performs all the calcs to determine depths and the footprint is worked out, so the junior engineer drafts everything up and then takes his calcs and calls out all the dimensions. the contractor takes one look at the plan and tells them that this will completely blow the budget and timeline to construct - you see the junior engineer had written out every dimension to four decimal places just like in his calcs, and to build to such fine tolerances would require more effort than the rest of the project put together

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

do feel free to take a break in positing possible future energy sources to enjoy the fact that solar with storage is in fact looking set to take over a large section of the market

did not expect to feel this optimistic about the energy future just a few short years ago

Im glad that solar and wind are displacing peak plants

I just aint seeing the path to replace base generation. has there been some wild breakthrough in storage? batteries aint gonna do it

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

crabrock posted:

lol like birds

genuinely surprised this isn't an onion article

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
gotta put predator silhouettes on the glass

anyone have a couple of big android robot stickers

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

haveblue posted:

gotta put predator silhouettes on the glass

anyone have a couple of big android robot stickers

"Some staff started to stick Post-It notes on the glass doors to mark their presence. However, the notes were removed because they detracted from the buildings design"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm surprised he's not hanging out in the o.c. or inland empire

proto-fascist vampires are kind of the core constituencies there

yeah but he's not a farmer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
organ farmer maybe

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shifty Pony posted:

when you think about it solar power is fusion based :v:

iirc one of the proposed electrical power extraction methods for fusion reactors is to line the thing with optical ports and direct the visible-UV radiation onto photovoltaic arrays.

when solar cells get warm, their efficiency degrades. hopefully when they evaluate this idea, they include the solar cell efficiency penalty and/or necessary refrigeration energy cost when running the solar cells at intensities of what I assume are many many multiples of 1 sun.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
just make the solar cells white instead of black that'll keep em cool in the sun

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

from this time last year:

Apple was also reportedly obsessed with doorways, insisting that they should be completely flat without any threshold the argument being that if staff had to change their gait, it would risk distracting them.

also lol this is an old engineering joke/apocryphal story come to life:

The company also appears to have demanded too-strict tolerances in measurements, treating architecture like its electronics. Whereas most construction projects max out at 1/8th of an inch, Apple often pushed for even smaller figures, which conflicted with real-world limits.

"With phones, you can build to very, very minute tolerances," a former architect said. "You would never design to that level of tolerance on a building. Your doors would jam."

usually it's told about a junior engineer under a time crunch is given their first large chunk of design to perform: the foundation for a building. he performs all the calcs to determine depths and the footprint is worked out, so the junior engineer drafts everything up and then takes his calcs and calls out all the dimensions. the contractor takes one look at the plan and tells them that this will completely blow the budget and timeline to construct - you see the junior engineer had written out every dimension to four decimal places just like in his calcs, and to build to such fine tolerances would require more effort than the rest of the project put together

loving contractors, what do they know about innovation anyway

hire one who went to Stanford ffs

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ate all the Oreos posted:

this generation's "we can put a man on the moon but we can't..." is going to be "some dorkwad sent his car to the asteroid belt but we can't..." ugh gently caress

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

just make the solar cells white instead of black that'll keep em cool in the sun

that reminds meduring the height of the solar cell research/funding era, with Solyndra and all of that, the US government funded research of transparent solar cells lol

its probably not that much money and so it doesnt really matter but man what a stupid idea

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

im ded :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

what if...........

everyone drove good??? huh? can we do it?