Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Thief posted:

also explosives in this game have been mostly nerfed into fireworks and hardly represent the actual horrific damage they can do

In the typical Gaijin approach they nerfed the ordinance instead of addressing the underlying cause.

Namely planes can easily spot ground vehicles in these games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Taerkar posted:

Namely planes can easily spot ground vehicles in these games.

Yeah, it should probably be harder, but the way they pop in and the lighting make it pretty easy. Even if it were significantly harder, watching for MG fire, cannon fire, scouting tank reports, etc would still make CAS viable.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

i long for the days of old time bombing :(

imagine what you could do with the farmans with pre nerf bombing lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

free hubcaps posted:

i long for the days of old time bombing :(

imagine what you could do with the farmans with pre nerf bombing lol

It was so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUsOwRVQ9v8

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
My AB stats are still horribly inflated from old AB where the Yer-2 could kill 60 ground targets in ~3 40 second reloads and the low tier Brit lineup basically guaranteed you like 12-15 kills a game. Especially the Beaufighter and Boomerang :rip:

EDIT: Kinda hosed up to think about how long ago that was now

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 15, 2018

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Thief posted:

also explosives in this game have been mostly nerfed into fireworks and hardly represent the actual horrific damage they can do

Ugh, yes, I'm embarrassed to say I've nearly forgotten what it was like before tanks ruined air ordinance.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, it should probably be harder, but the way they pop in and the lighting make it pretty easy. Even if it were significantly harder, watching for MG fire, cannon fire, scouting tank reports, etc would still make CAS viable.

My early thought is this:

1) Normally ground vehicles only show up when the plane is within 500m of them
2) Any vehicle that fires will show up at 1km for a few seconds
3) Spotted vehicles show up 3km out
3) Tracers render normally

This should be able to be handled server side by just not sending the client the information about non-visible vehicles.

Ideally there would be a system where it would only render vehicles specifically where the player is looking about (like a 10 degree arc of view in the center of the screen) but I think that would be too vulnerable to cheating

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Taerkar posted:

My early thought is this:

1) Normally ground vehicles only show up when the plane is within 500m of them

That seems like a weird artificiality. A grey Tiger hanging out on a sandy beach is visible from really far away, and it should be. A green T-34 sitting still in a green field probably shouldn't pop out the way they do in game, though.

But my complaint is harder to fix, in actuality, I suspect.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That would effectively require people to buy camo.

And I know it's artificial, but simply put spotting stuff from the air is a lot harder when you're actually flying a plane and not trying to die compared to a video game.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If you lose your device or 2FA app data and need to reset it to get back in you need this, keep tabs on the poo poo just in case you have to do it:

quote:

Your current and previous nicknames.
Registration date of your account.
Purchases that you have made using your account (invoice screenshots).
Your game progress.
Last login to the game.
Your geographic location (let us know if you moved to another city or country).
Most likely RIP my RBT-5 account

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

https://warthunder.com/en/news/5323-development-challenger-1-a-worthy-heir-en

Lol wtf

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

:stwoon:

So we're pretty much definitely getting an Abrams then.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Well that opens the door all the way to the mid 1980s, so that’s exciting.

Solumin posted:

:stwoon:

So we're pretty much definitely getting an Abrams then.

Hopefully at least the M1A1, the original M1 would still be the 105, and 1980s USSR/Germany is gonna need a bit more than that.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 15, 2018

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ehh... M900 would be ok. But M1IP is pretty necessary for protection. Theres gotta be another Leopard 2 as well because the prototype wont be up to snuff.

T80B for Russians maybe?

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

MrLonghair posted:

If you lose your device or 2FA app data and need to reset it to get back in you need this, keep tabs on the poo poo just in case you have to do it:

Most likely RIP my RBT-5 account

Nah, it's an OR not an AND. They just want as many of them as you can remember.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Besides a lot of those you could probably find out by digging through your registration email.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
for the sake of game balance gaijin's endgame homogenization goal is to give everyone but russia and america the Eurofighter Typhoon

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Anta posted:

Nah, it's an OR not an AND. They just want as many of them as you can remember.

Oh :v: well I got a support staff on a bad day, at least got my PS4 account playable on PC now

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.
goddamnit scharfi

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mazz posted:

Well that opens the door all the way to the mid 1980s, so that’s exciting.

Hopefully at least the M1A1, the original M1 would still be the 105, and 1980s USSR/Germany is gonna need a bit more than that.

No matter which M1 they choose it gonna have better protection than the Challenger 1 and it gonna be just a smidgen slower than the Leopard 2K so I'm pretty sure the 105mm will be the single thing keeping it back from being overpowered as poo poo.

Keep in mind Challenger 1's LFP is a glaring weakspot vulnerable to RPG-7s and whatnot. Even XM-1 will be tough loving nuts from the front.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Supposedly a Chinese leaky-dude correctly predicted 2K and Challenger, now says T-64BV (bunch of boats), Super Saber, Phantom, MiG-19 and MiG-21

:flashfap:

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
Tier 6 jets will bring me back to this game so fuckin fast

could give a poo poo about tanks other than cluster bombing them with my phantom

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Teal posted:

No matter which M1 they choose it gonna have better protection than the Challenger 1 and it gonna be just a smidgen slower than the Leopard 2K so I'm pretty sure the 105mm will be the single thing keeping it back from being overpowered as poo poo.

Keep in mind Challenger 1's LFP is a glaring weakspot vulnerable to RPG-7s and whatnot. Even XM-1 will be tough loving nuts from the front.

105mm is plenty to kill anything in tier 6 from the side/rear so it's not gonna be too bad. Might be really drat good if they include decent 105mm ammunition. It wouldn't be great against the T-64B, T-72B, or T-80 but would be plenty to punch through the T-64A and T-72A hull at the ranges you usually fight at on WT maps.

I want a proper Leopard 2 and the T-64B. Don't really understand why the Leopard 2K is gonna be a thing if they're going whole hog into the 80's.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 16, 2018

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Did the L7 ever get a DU round on the M1? I know the 120 has the M829.

Edit: Apparently the M900, introduced in 1989?

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 16, 2018

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

This would essentially confirm AAMs this update too right?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ironically the first F-4 in the game will be the gunpod version.

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

Holy poo poo I gave up on high tier jets after my F-80 and MiG 9. I can't wait to play the intro levels of Ace Combat in WT. I seriously can't imagine only gunfighting in a MiG-21 or F-4.

....Hind when!?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Remember when combined arms first arrived and bombs all had forced minimum 10 second timer?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Asproigerosis posted:

Remember when combined arms first arrived and bombs all had forced minimum 10 second timer?

the op meta was to play a ju88 and blanket tanks in bombs that had clock timers above them

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

free hubcaps posted:

This would essentially confirm AAMs this update too right?

I think that was all but confirmed by the strings for Nvidia highlights including "missile_evasion" event which some people try to explain with ATGMs or dumbfire rockets but it doesn't really make sense to me because with those it would be pretty hard to actually judge if it was a miss or an actual evade (particularly considering how finicky the hit detection is to begin with.

Now, I'd not be sure they're confirmed for 1.77; they might come in the next one, or go into some new form of CBT sometime in between, but i'd say they're 100% coming sooner rather than later.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

oh my

e; 2 dev blogs in one day?? is the UI guy pulling double duty?

E2; gaijin gets a lot of poo poo (and a lot of it is justified) but god drat, I could probably just stare at their models for hours, the detail is just incredible. The fact that there’s a pretty good game built around them is all the better.

VVV:ninja:VVV

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 16, 2018

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

This too

e: f,b

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Warbadger posted:

105mm is plenty to kill anything in tier 6 from the side/rear so it's not gonna be too bad. Might be really drat good if they include decent 105mm ammunition. It wouldn't be great against the T-64B, T-72B, or T-80 but would be plenty to punch through the T-64A and T-72A hull at the ranges you usually fight at on WT maps.

I want a proper Leopard 2 and the T-64B. Don't really understand why the Leopard 2K is gonna be a thing if they're going whole hog into the 80's.

Yeah it’s going to be very much on ammo choices, if the M900 is in it solves any real issues. My concern was/is mid-80s gives potential for things like the T-64BV, as already mentioned in that leak. They have always represented Russia well in terms of vehicle choices and there are a lot of good tanks on paper in the 80s there.

Either way them going balls deep into the Cold War is very much my jam. Game is way more fun when the tanks are actually capable and fun to drive.

I really hope the early ATGM helicopters they mentioned are still on the table soon. I wanna waste a bunch of spawn points by missing my two HOTs and crashing like right loving now.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 16, 2018

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

RB EC lineup

Previous one was vs Japan, the one before that was just this. Bet it'll be the same poo poo that dies down to a single player on one side again.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Mazz posted:

I really hope the early ATGM helicopters they mentioned are still on the table soon. I wanna waste a bunch of spawn points by missing my two HOTs and crashing like right loving now.

ha I forgot they said they were adding helicopters, hell yea I’d like to fly a gazelle in game

this game is going to be such a shambling patchwork behemoth when all is said and done

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Thief posted:

for the sake of game balance gaijin's endgame homogenization goal is to give everyone but russia and america the Eurofighter Typhoon

Saab Draken when

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
So that Magach 3 could be pretty good for a high tier premium, no more crippling cupola weakness, more power, and all ammos unlocked. If you can actually get the M48/M60 fully researched and don’t get wrecked by a cupola APHE shot, it’s a very solid tank.

Also you can uniquely gently caress w/ any nazis you run into.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

magachud 3

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mazz posted:

So that Magach 3 could be pretty good for a high tier premium, no more crippling cupola weakness, more power, and all ammos unlocked. If you can actually get the M48/M60 fully researched and don’t get wrecked by a cupola APHE shot, it’s a very solid tank.

Also you can uniquely gently caress w/ any nazis you run into.

I'm struggling to find if it had a vertical stabiliser. If it didn't, it will be a pretty decent 7.7. If it did, it would be pretty drat great even at 8.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

MrLonghair posted:

RB EC lineup

Previous one was vs Japan, the one before that was just this. Bet it'll be the same poo poo that dies down to a single player on one side again.

This is pretty accurate, I just spent two and a half hours as the only player in a match. Was okay for research, 36k rp in a stock tempest with no way to effect anything except soft targets, if I'd had bombs unlocked or an attacker of some sort in my lineup I could've probably gotten more. Queues are also incredibly stacked on the allies' side right now, not many people queuing for Germany.