Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Sic Semper Goon posted:

"Aww, jeez, mate, I spent it all on heroin, and there's no way I buried a sack of cash out in the bush."

Seriously, a banker that doesn't know how to hide cash? Come off it.

EDIT: In this case, I think it's likely that she stole the money to pay off her twenty maxed out credit cards, 125% mortgage, a fleet of SUVs purchased on credit and ways of over-extending credit and plainly wasting money that I can't even imagine.

It says in the article the courts forced her to pay back the full amount which she did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

The great news is that after being convicted of embezzlement and/or other related felonies there's no way you will get a job where you'll make enough wages to garnish

This is not true you get a tax credit for hiring felons. I have clients that get $20 checks all the time paying on 6 figure judgements.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I wonder what percentage of our country would love the chance to be jailed for 2 years for 300k. I'm sure that's enough to pay off plenty of mortgages.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

FateFree posted:

I wonder what percentage of our country would love the chance to be jailed for 2 years for 300k. I'm sure that's enough to pay off plenty of mortgages.

Depends a lot on the quality of the jail but that could be a very sweet deal. Have all this free time to read, develop skills, gym all day and be all coined up...

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Especially if it's one of those jails where you can pay for better treatment.

What's the best return on a 2 year CD right now?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

BattleMoose posted:

Depends a lot on the quality of the jail but that could be a very sweet deal. Have all this free time to read, develop skills, gym all day and be all coined up...

Is getting set to prison... good with money?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

an actual dog posted:

It’s incredibly strong at the end of Monopoly games

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

an actual dog posted:

It would be if your felony status didn’t follow you around for the rest of your life.

Go wild early, make some bank, stick it in an IRA, spend a couple of years dressed in the county blues, come out, live the rest of your life like normal, retire early.

But instead now no decent job will hire you and depending on how poorly you pimped, you might have to stay 1000 feet from schools and parks.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

pr0zac posted:

It says in the article the courts forced her to pay back the full amount which she did.

Well, she's just incompetent all round then. :colbert:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Especially if it's one of those jails where you can pay for better treatment.

What's the best return on a 2 year CD right now?

Discover offers 1.85% APY for 24 months.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

This is not true you get a tax credit for hiring felons. I have clients that get $20 checks all the time paying on 6 figure judgements.

I hope they didn't spend much in legal fees to collect $500/year on six figure garnishment orders

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

This relationship has more Red Flags than Nellis Air Force Base

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/7xsy8m/buying_a_condo_with_a_girlfriend_who_has_been_bad/ posted:

Buying a condo with a girlfriend who has been bad with finances- I want to protect myself.

Unlike my parents, I don't believe in religion or marriage which is a big bummer to my girlfriend's childhood dream of having a beautiful wedding. I am ready to show her that I am committed to her long term but I want to do it on my own terms and that does NOT include marriage. I'd rather show commitment by buying a condo with her and giving her a great deal in the process.

We plan on living there a few years and hopefully renting in afterwards once she finishes her masters. She wants to work abroad and since I work from home I'm very flexible for that.

Also, I'm wondering how customizable the ownership contract I will sign with my girlfriend can be. I am talking with a notary tonight...I dont want to give her 27% ownership right after we make the sale because she could then turn around and want to sell the place and be legally allowed to her 27% even though she only put 2% down.

Also lol at the idea at the chance of having a good time in american prison if you aren't white and moneyed.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That's a cringe inducing weirdo for sure, but sometimes I feel like this thread strays into "Don't marry below your caste" territory.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
I think it's more: I will never get married. My girlfriend wants to get married. Let's buy a house together. I'm sure this will work out fine.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Also he uses the phrase "high paying waitress jobs" which just sort of leaves me with all kinds of questions.

That being said, the girlfriend doesn't have any significant debt despite getting a master's degree so honestly that could be way worse.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

legendof posted:

Also he uses the phrase "high paying waitress jobs" which just sort of leaves me with all kinds of questions.

That being said, the girlfriend doesn't have any significant debt despite getting a master's degree so honestly that could be way worse.

If you’re hot and work at high end restaurants you can make tons of money. Equivalent of 6 figures easy if you under report your tips.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The great news is that after being convicted of embezzlement and/or other related felonies there's no way you will get a job where you'll make enough wages to garnish

News flash grandpa! The days of your garbage wage slavery are over. She'll be fine if she believes in herself:

Youth Decay posted:

oooh birthday flowers

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 16, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

legendof posted:

Waiting tables can be a really good job if you’re talented and work in a high end environment. Applebee’s, maybe not. One of those steak houses where you pass the window into a freezer full of aged beef, maybe yes.

Or...just throwing this out there. She’s a waitress in a strip club. Because that can also pay well.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

I hope they didn't spend much in legal fees to collect $500/year on six figure garnishment orders

The cops do that for you if it was a crime.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Guest2553 posted:

This relationship has more Red Flags than Nellis Air Force Base

Also lol at the idea at the chance of having a good time in american prison if you aren't white and moneyed.

I don't get people who want to tie themselves together this much but loathe the marriage bond itself. If I was being charitable I would assume that he's not super committed and wants an exit plan later and thinks that this is somehow helping him.

The other one that drives me nuts are people who have kids together but refuse to get married because they're not sure if they're ready for that level of commitment. It completely gets the priorities out of whack. If you aren't willing to get married; don't have a kid. Similarly, if you aren't willing to get married, don't join your finances and assets together.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Waiting tables can be a really good job if you’re talented and work in a high end environment. Applebee’s, maybe not. One of those steak houses where you pass the window into a freezer full of aged beef, maybe yes.

Or...just throwing this out there. She’s a waitress in a strip club. Because that can also pay well.

I've got waiters, waitresses, and bartenders that work at really high end restaurants that pull in $80k+ a year, and that's just what they're reporting to me. Maître D' can pull in more than that as can front of house management. Some of the better chef's and restaurants even provide healthcare and retirement plans.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BattleMoose posted:

Yeah about that

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/18/news/economy/prison-fees-inmates-debt/index.html

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Wow. At what point should we just start euthanizing people sentenced to prison before their term begins? I mean, it's a death sentence anyway. A 54,000$ judgment against you from the state that then lands you back in prison for contempt of court for your inability to pay the judgment.

Holy poo poo. Suicide is a better option at that point.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Mourne posted:

Wow. At what point should we just start euthanizing people sentenced to prison before their term begins? I mean, it's a death sentence anyway. A 54,000$ judgment against you from the state that then lands you back in prison for contempt of court for your inability to pay the judgment.

Holy poo poo. Suicide is a better option at that point.

perhaps prisons should not be for-profit businesses :allears:

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Spokes posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal

This is a real thing that happened in my area.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Get a prison sentence of life, never pay an incarceration lien and get room and board for life.

Heinous Crime: GWM??

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Spokes posted:

CXW has been trending down for months on end. The free market will sort it out for us. :worship:

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Raldikuk posted:

I don't get people who want to tie themselves together this much but loathe the marriage bond itself. If I was being charitable I would assume that he's not super committed and wants an exit plan later and thinks that this is somehow helping him.

The other one that drives me nuts are people who have kids together but refuse to get married because they're not sure if they're ready for that level of commitment. It completely gets the priorities out of whack. If you aren't willing to get married; don't have a kid. Similarly, if you aren't willing to get married, don't join your finances and assets together.

Marriage has facilities to help you break up. Divorce court is a thing. It is codified in the legal system. These long term domestic partnership common-law unions can get MUCH more complicated to dissolve. So I really don’t understand people afraid of committing to a system with a well established “out”, preferring to navigate the complexities of dividing property ownership themselves (or kids!)

With kids, you have created a creature that is half another person, so you’re gonna know at least half of them forever. But signing a piece of paper is TOO MUCH COMMITMENT.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Mourne posted:

I don't like how those dudes are eligible for release when they're in their 70s and 80s. Add up all the time that they made the kids serve, then triple it for punishment's sake, and let them be eligible for parole when they reach 150 years old or so.

Also ffs when will American courts start imposing actual financial penalties on fuckheads like them and on banks that caught with their hands in customers' pockets. You need to triple the amount they made and impose that as a fine. This whole "give us five percent back and we'll call it even" makes them a profit, ffs.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Weatherman posted:

Also ffs when will American courts start imposing actual financial penalties on fuckheads like them and on banks that caught with their hands in customers' pockets. You need to triple the amount they made and impose that as a fine. This whole "give us five percent back and we'll call it even" makes them a profit, ffs.

On the plus side I'm pretty sure Wells Fargo is going to end up paying many times over any profit they made from their shenanigans. But that's mainly because they were so bad at fraud that they didn't actually make any money (i.e. using new accounts as a metric for bonuses when the new accounts didn't actually contribute anything).

Also, it's worth noting that Wells Fargo tried to get ahead of any official sanctions by agreeing to a then record fine and that didn't help them. Now they're being told they can't grow their assets for at least another year. While that's still not jail time for executives, I'm not sure I've ever seen a bank get punished like that. So...maybe a step in the right direction.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

What the justice system all over the world is telling us: if you want to cheat, make sure the rewards are big

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Mourne posted:

I get so sad when I hear about this case every time. I used to visit Wilkes-barre yearly for a softball tournament and it was always such a dead place with no visible young people.

A year after the scandal broke we went for the tournament and all of the sudden people were out and having a great time in the evenings. There was actual places to go and things to do.

I miss not doing the tournament every year now that I'm older and live down south. I hope the good people of WB are doing better now.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
As someone who lived in Wilkes-Barre and went to school there: the town is a hole that would be vastly improved by a good solid meteor strike.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
It's not the best place in America but imagine what it could have been if literal child enslavers had not done it at all? There's a lot of good people in those parts. We always enjoyed our visits.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Weatherman posted:

I don't like how those dudes are eligible for release when they're in their 70s and 80s. Add up all the time that they made the kids serve, then triple it for punishment's sake, and let them be eligible for parole when they reach 150 years old or so.

Also make them do physical labor every day for 3 cents an hour or else they unofficially get beaten by the guards. Even when they're in their 70s.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

On the plus side I'm pretty sure Wells Fargo is going to end up paying many times over any profit they made from their shenanigans. But that's mainly because they were so bad at fraud that they didn't actually make any money (i.e. using new accounts as a metric for bonuses when the new accounts didn't actually contribute anything).

Also, it's worth noting that Wells Fargo tried to get ahead of any official sanctions by agreeing to a then record fine and that didn't help them. Now they're being told they can't grow their assets for at least another year. While that's still not jail time for executives, I'm not sure I've ever seen a bank get punished like that. So...maybe a step in the right direction.

So really it is the shareholders of the bank being punished rather than the actual executives who made these decisions, also a very American thing to do.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I see your time-share horse and raise you a time-share private jet:

https://www.netjets.com/en-us/programs

Purse Forum!!!

eta: You guys, I think I hit pay dirt: Coach purse banme thread

It just keeps getting better

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 17, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

So really it is the shareholders of the bank being punished rather than the actual executives who made these decisions, also a very American thing to do.

Yes. Shareholders get punished and it's up to them to punish the executives. Of which 10 or so lost their jobs and I don't know...75 million at least in bonus clawbacks.

They should have treated Well Fargo like a mafia family and started arresting low level people on identity theft charges so they'd turn over evidence against their management and so forth up the ladder. But apparently that's too dangerous for the bank's solvency, which was one of the reasons HSBC avoided criminal charges.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I don't know about netjets but it's pretty common to have group ownership of a plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
If I recall, a lot of non corporate private aircraft flying involves essentially buying time on a jet rather than purchasing the jet outright. For a fairly wealthy person, the costs are reasonable (considering what you get).