Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't think fusion will ever be a source of electric power, period. not in my lifetime, not in your lifetime, probably not in the lifetime of our species

iter and the stellarator are fascinating exercises in high energy physics but i have no idea how either one is meant to lead to electric power generation

what if you did two project orion ships on the end of massive arms with a generator in the middle? that'd be fusion power generating electricity!

i suppose if you don't fancy letting off all those bombs on earth (and we've got australia just sitting there doing nothing) we could do it in space, and beam it back with massive light bulbs so solar power can work at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

what if...........

everyone drove good??? huh? can we do it?

Wait, but if we had all the cars roped together somehow each one wouldn't need it's own motor. There could be one (or more) of these motor-having cars (let's call them "Engines") at the front or back of the line of cars to pull or push the connected un-powered cars.

That would be a great idea!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Of course it's loving Megan McArdle, she of the broken calculator.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

sounds overengineered

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Schadenboner posted:

Wait, but if we had all the cars roped together somehow each one wouldn't need it's own motor. There could be one (or more) of these motor-having cars (let's call them "Engines") at the front or back of the line of cars to pull or push the connected un-powered cars.

That would be a great idea!

graph can you prob this chucklefuck for a while? he's high out of his loving gourd or soemthing. talking crazy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mrmcd posted:

Of course it's loving Megan McArdle, she of the broken calculator.

wait is this not a joke? someone actually proposed that for realsies and that's not a photoshop making fun of oblivious tech people

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

jfc

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

hey, they laughed at the wright brothers too. i think the author's onto something here.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

haveblue posted:

wait is this not a joke? someone actually proposed that for realsies and that's not a photoshop making fun of oblivious tech people

it's a joke, but megan mcardle produces laughable material so often you cannot be blamed for doing a double take

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

haveblue posted:

I can't seem to find it anywhere. The closest is this, which is a lot of drooling over autonomous vehicles and such, followed by "Of course, the best solution right now is still mass transit".

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-16/apple-s-new-spaceship-campus-has-one-flaw-and-it-hurts

quote:

There’s been one hiccup since it opened last year: Apple employees keep smacking into the glass.

Surrounding the Cupertino, California-based building are 45-foot tall curved panels of safety glass. Inside are work spaces, dubbed “pods,” also made with a lot of glass. Apple staff are often glued to the iPhones they helped popularize. That’s resulted in repeated cases of distracted employees walking into the panes, according to people familiar with the incidents.

Some staff started to stick Post-It notes on the glass doors to mark their presence. However, the notes were removed because they detracted from the building’s design, the people said. They asked not to be identified discussing anything related to Apple. Another person familiar with the situation said there are other markings to identify the glass.

Apple’s latest campus has been lauded as an architectural marvel. The building, crafted by famed architect Norman Foster, immortalized a vision that Apple co-founder Steve Jobs had years earlier. In 2011, Jobs reportedly described the building “a little like a spaceship landed.” Jobs has been credited for coming up with the glass pods, designed to mix solo office areas with more social spaces.

paging mr. hovercraft

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

darthbob88 posted:

I can't seem to find it anywhere. The closest is this, which is a lot of drooling over autonomous vehicles and such, followed by "Of course, the best solution right now is still mass transit".

https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/964506879127904257

https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/964548313688231936

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's a joke, but megan mcardle produces laughable material so often you cannot be blamed for doing a double take

iirc she's the same person who, after sandy hook, proposed that we train children to run at school shooters to overwhelm them

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
and that all of those people deserved to burn to death in that london tower fire

she is a total piece of libertarian poo poo and i would gleefully watch her public execution

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
moral hazard!!!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

silence_kit posted:

when solar cells get warm, their efficiency degrades. hopefully when they evaluate this idea, they include the solar cell efficiency penalty and/or necessary refrigeration energy cost when running the solar cells at intensities of what I assume are many many multiples of 1 sun.

if you've got a literal sun sitting there you wouldn't use photovoltaic for energy capture because you don't need to spread out over a larger area to capture a reasonable amount, you'd use it in a heat exchanger to generate steam so it'd be more like those solar concentrator layouts with the mirrors

its funny I wrote a research project on solar Stirling engines like 12 years ago and the my were looking like a great idea as they we 40+%efficient so beat solar pv but turns out they're a bitch to maintain and solar pv got way better and cheaper than I thought

Stirling engines are still useful for low grade energy reclamation though

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Megan McArdle: I use kitchen appliances to distract from my sham marriage to my gamer husband, and then write about how I had it so tough living in my parents luxury Manhattan apartment working networking jobs

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

just lol at this. you can model traffic as a fluid flow and iirc much like chokes in flow a jam is like an emergent property or a non linear system that you can't just control away

also jfc:

a shitlord posted:

even if the regulation had passed, and required existing developers to retrofit sprinklers into older buildings, Grenfell Tower might not have gotten a sprinkler system before the fire occurred.

yeah probably don't bother with fire regs at all then I guess? what a loving moron.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and that all of those people deserved to burn to death in that london tower fire

she is a total piece of libertarian poo poo and i would gleefully watch her public execution

:same:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
remember there are people who belive just using "communications" will mean cars can be just a foot apart at full speeds on various roads, because what's a stopping time and what do you mean you can't just set speed = 0 instantly

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
also real-time zero latency mesh networks are totally practicable traffic management solutions

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

remember there are people who belive just using "communications" will mean cars can be just a foot apart at full speeds on various roads, because what's a stopping time and what do you mean you can't just set speed = 0 instantly

what if we linked the cars to one another with physical couplings, so that braking force could be distributed down the chain

and then maybe we could only have one active operator, or engineer, if you will

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that would only work if everyone is going to the same place.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what if we linked the cars to one another with physical couplings, so that braking force could be distributed down the chain

and then maybe we could only have one active operator, or engineer, if you will

That thinking is a little old fashioned, the only engineer we need to solve this problem is a software engineer :smug:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

infernal machines posted:

also real-time zero latency mesh networks are totally practicable traffic management solutions

in response to

we have:

drunkill posted:

^^^^ You might actually be able to fit an extra row of autonomous cars in there as they can drive closer together. Still, a good meme.

Deteriorata posted:

If vehicle-to-vehicle communication is part of the autonomous systems, they can stay much closer. The safe gap is for dealing with human reaction times.

Deteriorata posted:

No, that's not what it means. It means that it takes anywhere from 0.5s to 2s or more for your brain to perceive that the stop lights on the car ahead of you are on until you get on the brake. This is called "reaction time." Your car continues to travel at full speed while your brain is figuring out what to do.

Part of the safe distance is an allowance for reaction time. That distance can be reduced if reaction time is reduced.

The yellow part is reaction time, which can be mostly eliminated with vehicle-to-vehicle communication. The instant the car in front of you starts braking, your car will, too.

Devor posted:

The reason that a platoon of autonomous vehicles can not only reduce most of that yellow distance, but a lot of that red distance, is that every car in an autonomous platoon does not need to be doing "Is the roadway in front of me safe" checks every moment.

For current driver-operated cars, each person has to be able to see enough of the roadway in front of their car to be able to say "There are no debris/obstructions or stopped vehicles here, I can continue driving at my current speed". If you're in a platoon of coordinated autonomous vehicles, the front vehicle is the only one that has to be checking that - the trailing vehicles just have to maintain communication and be prepared to brake on instruction from the lead car.

You would still need a little buffer to account for situations like an errant vehicle or deer or crazy person running into the roadway, and allow for some room for the cars to initiate a simultaneous stop, but for access-controlled high speed roadways, a set of close-following autonomous cars does not really have to worry about a stopped car materializing in the center of the pack.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
Will megan mcardle doing her thing on the larger platform of wapo opinon be good for chapo trap house? Signs point to yes, imo

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
also a centrally managed traffic flow might not be worth the cost of the additional infrastructure vs the amount of throughput achieved -- people unsurprisingly have already done studies on this and though there would be an improvement, it simply might not be significant enough

Devor posted:

The reason that a platoon of autonomous vehicles can not only reduce most of that yellow distance, but a lot of that red distance, is that every car in an autonomous platoon does not need to be doing "Is the roadway in front of me safe" checks every moment.

For current driver-operated cars, each person has to be able to see enough of the roadway in front of their car to be able to say "There are no debris/obstructions or stopped vehicles here, I can continue driving at my current speed". If you're in a platoon of coordinated autonomous vehicles, the front vehicle is the only one that has to be checking that - the trailing vehicles just have to maintain communication and be prepared to brake on instruction from the lead car.

You would still need a little buffer to account for situations like an errant vehicle or deer or crazy person running into the roadway, and allow for some room for the cars to initiate a simultaneous stop, but for access-controlled high speed roadways, a set of close-following autonomous cars does not really have to worry about a stopped car materializing in the center of the pack.

wat

Arcteryx Anarchist fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 16, 2018

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

silence_kit posted:

when solar cells get warm, their efficiency degrades. hopefully when they evaluate this idea, they include the solar cell efficiency penalty and/or necessary refrigeration energy cost when running the solar cells at intensities of what I assume are many many multiples of 1 sun.

I didn't say it was a good proposal.

silence_kit posted:

that reminds me—during the height of the solar cell research/funding era, with Solyndra and all of that, the US government funded research of transparent solar cells lol

it’s probably not that much money and so it doesn’t really matter but man what a stupid idea

it is actually a lot less dumb than you are thinking. the idea is for the cells to be transparent to visible light while generating electricity with the IR and UV light.

the potential application that always gets trotted out is having windows that generate power but the really big promise imo is in placing a transparent PV on top of a traditional Si PV to make use of some of the 500W/m2 in the IR band that currently is completely unused by PV panels. you might even be able to retrofit it into place to give an efficiency boost to existing installations.

too bad IR photons aren't really energetic enough for true PV operation.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lancemantis posted:

also a centrally managed traffic flow might not be worth the cost of the additional infrastructure vs the amount of throughput achieved -- people unsurprisingly have already done studies on this and though there would be an improvement, it simply might not be significant enough

wat

this is what self driving car fans actually believe.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fishmech posted:

in response to

we have:

eventually someone cited a paper about how this would work... https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/f4ce/6a4c2b1717f79b8ea96e0cb0d3fc60c2db1c.pdf

quote:

etting.
b) CACC1 controller: Both CACC controllers use direct
vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) communication to exchange messages
contains the vehicle’s acceleration. These messages are
sent asynchronously by each car at a frequency of 10Hz.
The CACC1 controller sends the measured value from the
accelerometer to the following vehicle. This means that the
value in this message can directly be used by the following
vehicle, instead of having to derive the acceleration from
multiple radar readings. This makes the CACC1 controller
more responsive than the ACC controller. In Algorithm 3, the
pseudocode for the behaviour of this controller is given

oof realtime wireless for a safety critical application, lets see what they have to say to mitigate that

quote:

B. Uncertainty & Delay
The algorithms that we described in the previous sections
are fairly straightforward, and if one knows the delays of
communication and information processing, it would seem
easy to compute the minimal safe time headway cars should
maintain to avoid crashes. However, since sensor information
and wireless communication comes with a lot of uncertainty,
the computation of the minimal safe time headway is not a
trivial task. In this section, we describe the various factors of
uncertainty that are present in our sensors, and the values we
used for these uncertain parameters.
• Failure in broadcasting: About 1% of all sent messages
do not arrive at their destination. This is a simplification,
because currently, we do not take into account bursts of
packet loss.
• Communication delay: 10ms. This is how long it takes
for a message to be received.

oh dear.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

lol Megan McArdle

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol at thinking that anything at all is solved by simply increasing roadway capacity by getting cars closer together to improve traffic density

and especially lol at thinking that stupid human-driven cars don't already perform this behavior... when they're in stop and go traffic since that's what traffic congestion already is

like just think about it even medium hard that's clearly not the problem

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

eventually someone cited a paper about how this would work... https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/f4ce/6a4c2b1717f79b8ea96e0cb0d3fc60c2db1c.pdf

oof realtime wireless for a safety critical application, lets see what they have to say to mitigate that

oh dear.

ps, this is all in the clear as encryption makes the latency spike.

gosh i sure hope no one starts spoofing malicious messages

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

all car drivers should press gas at the same time directly into one another

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

without a doubt one of the dumbest motherfuckers on this planet.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

what if we made the uber bigger and had it stop at certain places for people to get on and off and gave it it's own road and we actually made those fucks from VA and MD pay their fair share

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

ps, this is all in the clear as encryption makes the latency spike.

gosh i sure hope no one starts spoofing malicious messages

its a giant mess of a problem. how do cars know which one is in front of another using this wireless protocol? how do you know the transmission is actually from the car behind or ahead of you? if its a mesh, does each car have to attempt n^2 connections to determine who each beacon belongs to?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

my bitter bi rival posted:

without a doubt one of the dumbest motherfuckers on this planet.

she's paid to be wrong about things and literally educated, groomed, and selected by a Koch-funded institute

Say what you will about how disgusting the right wing is, they know how to build institutions, create talent funnels, and exercise power with and through nominally centrist allies

I guess the people who just loving love power know more about how it works, how to build it, how to use it

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

prisoner of waffles posted:

she's paid to be wrong about things and literally educated, groomed, and selected by a Koch-funded institute

Say what you will about how disgusting the right wing is, they know how to build institutions, create talent funnels, and exercise power with and through nominally centrist allies

I guess the people who just loving love power know more about how it works, how to build it, how to use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

JawnV6 posted:

they can make hot mirror/cold mirror coatings, why would this be impossible

Usually when materials absorb IR, they absorb visible light too.

There may be some way to engineer a reflectors on both sides of the cell to force IR light to make multiple round trips within the very thin cell until it is absorbed, and to force visible light to only make 1 pass through the cell. The visible light would still be attenuated but maybe it wouldn’t be that bad.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 16, 2018