Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sultan Pepper
Feb 13, 2018

by Lowtax
I've got a problem where I can't drag and drop an rc file to edit it. Tried different browsers, different pcs. If someone could do me a huge favour and log onto my account and edit it for me id really appreciate it!

I'd like show more= disabled and whatever was said up there to return the player tile to normal. I'm fine with crablang I find it funny and I've adjusted to it.

Thanks in advance!

(I'm on CPO)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

code:
1459450 Slobodan the Crack Shot (level 26, 117/177 HPs)
             Began as a Deep Elf Arcane Marksman on Feb 10, 2018.
             Was a High Priest of Okawaru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Feb 12, 2018!

The game lasted 18:36:23 (95083 turns).

Slobodan the Crack Shot (Deep Elf Arcane Marksman) Turns: 95083, Time: 18:36:23

Health: 117/177    AC: 22    Str:  8 (9)  XL:     26   Next: 67%
Magic:  42/42      EV: 32    Int: 28      God:    Okawaru [*****.]
Gold:   3839       SH:  0    Dex: 21      Spells: 4/51 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis +   v - +5 scimitar (holy)
rCold    . . .     Gourm    .   (no shield)
rNeg     . . .     Faith    .   T - +6 leather armour "Fejamn" {rElec MR- Dex+2}
rPois    +         Spirit   +   e - +2 hat {MR+}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   z - +2 cloak {+Inv}
rCorr    .         Harm     .   x - +2 pair of gloves
MR       +++..                  V - +2 pair of boots of the Assassin {Detection Stab+ Stlth++}
Stlth    +++.......             L - amulet of guardian spirit
HPRegen  0.39/turn              n - ring of Cowardice {rF+ EV+3 Int+5}
MPRegen  0.28/turn              Y - ring of Suspected Treachery {*Corrode rPois rF++ MR+ SInv}

Skills:
 + Level 21.0 Fighting
   Level 6.0(10.4) Short Blades
 - Level 12.0(12.5) Long Blades
 - Level 22.1 Bows
 - Level 2.0 Armour
 - Level 20.0 Dodging
 - Level 9.9 Stealth
 - Level 13.0 Spellcasting
 - Level 13.0 Hexes
 - Level 13.0 Charms
 - Level 15.0 Summonings
 - Level 6.1 Necromancy
 - Level 1.0 Translocations
   Level 1.0 Fire Magic
 - Level 6.0 Ice Magic
 - Level 4.0 Air Magic
 - Level 9.0 Earth Magic
 - Level 11.0 Invocations
 - Level 10.0 Evocations

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Metabolic Englaciati  Hex/Ice        ######....   1%          5    ##.....
b - Borgnjor's Vile Clut  Necr/Erth      ######....   3%          5    ##.....
c - Deflect Missiles      Chrm/Air       ######....   14%         6    ####...
d - Cause Fear            Hex            ######....   1%          4    None
e - Portal Projectile     Hex/Tloc       ######       1%          3    None
f - Apportation           Tloc           ###...       1%          1    None
g - Animate Skeleton      Necr           N/A          1%          1    None
h - Summon Butterflies    Summ           #######.     0%          1    None
i - Leda's Liquefaction   Hex/Erth       ######....   1%          4    None
j - Summon Mana Viper     Hex/Summ       #######.     1%          5    ##.....
k - Ozocubu's Armour      Chrm/Ice       ######..     1%          3    None
l - Summon Hydra          Summ           #######...   5%          7    ######.
m - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          3%          2    None
This guy was the most miserable character I've ever won with. I don't think I've ever had to ctrl-F to find more consumables to push through Zot 5 before. Should I have had more strength? Mostly using a +8 longbow of freezing felt like throwing pebbles at monsters and then running up the stairs, over and over.

Borgnjor's zombie hands was great though, as was escaping three pan lords on D:5 during the orb run.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Sultan Pepper posted:

I've got a problem where I can't drag and drop an rc file to edit it. Tried different browsers, different pcs. If someone could do me a huge favour and log onto my account and edit it for me id really appreciate it!

I'd like show more= disabled and whatever was said up there to return the player tile to normal. I'm fine with crablang I find it funny and I've adjusted to it.

Thanks in advance!

(I'm on CPO)

Weird, i couldn't edit my rc on cpo but i Could drag the init.txt from another server into that window

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

[code]1459450 Slobodan the Crack Shot (level 26, 117/177 HPs)
Began as a Deep Elf Arcane Marksman on Feb 10, 2018.
Was a High Priest of Okawaru.
Escaped with the Orb
... and 3 runes on Feb 12, 2018!

This character is all over the place lol so yeah. You couldve gone all in on Zombie Hands and Hydra/Viper or something and had a better time.

Also Oka is boring and stupid

Sultan Pepper
Feb 13, 2018

by Lowtax

heard u like girls posted:

Weird, i couldn't edit my rc on cpo but i Could drag the init.txt from another server into that window

So it's a CPO problem. Can you lay out exactly what you did to get things working? I can't handle using ignition and having to enter through all the "more"s that pop up

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I went on Xtahua (where i normally play), clicked edit RC file, pressed save. This gets you a init.txt file in the browser. Then i went to CPO and opened that RC and dropped the file in it.

Or save this in init.txt or whatever and drag that in

code:

auto_sacrifice = true

confirm_butcher        = never 
 easy_eat_chunks        = true
 auto_eat_chunks        = true
 auto_drop_chunks       = yes

show_more                  = false

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 14, 2018

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Managed to compile gooncrawl on a raspberry pi while I was waiting for dinner to cook. !-randomed up a Demonspawn Gladiator, found a temple to Jiyva on D:3, remembered purple chunks were back, got extremely happy.

Then it was movie time and after that it was put-pi-back-under-the-bed time, and now I am sad.

Might try compiling it on FreeBSD, but I doubt I'll find another early Jiyva altar on a mutatey-race.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I beliebe jiv altars are guaranteed in temple in gooncrawl, so go nuts

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

From chequers (the CPO admin) about the rcfile stuff:

chequers posted:

People are asking in the SA thread about how to edit their RC file on CPO. The answer is there's a bug in the version of webtiles that CPO uses. If you don't have an RC file, you need to open the editing window then click 'save', which will create a blank file you can then re-open and edit normally.

Also, no, I will not remove the default crablang / crab player doll.

Look for Gooncrawl to also come to CBRO (hopefully) this week/weekend!

I'll bring up some more design discussion for approved items either tomorrow or Friday, since conversation appears to have dried up on the ones I brought up.

Sultan Pepper
Feb 13, 2018

by Lowtax
Cool I'm happy to get a workaround, I need my precious lack of "more" with all my tab holding and aoe spamming. Shatter without more just makes half the screen disappear in an instant with no animation or pause. It's great

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Floodkiller posted:

Finally, I can webtiles properly again!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

what should be the banners for the gooncrawl tournament?

- die 1/2/3 times to monsters at least 5XL lower than you ("The Tabmaster")
- Get bezerkitis or shoutitis by eating the purple when you had 7+ positive muts and no negatives ("One more hit")

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Floodkiller posted:

From chequers (the CPO admin) about the rcfile stuff:

I'll bring up some more design discussion for approved items either tomorrow or Friday, since conversation appears to have dried up on the ones I brought up.

Awesome

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

tote up a bags posted:

what should be the banners for the gooncrawl tournament?

- die 1/2/3 times to monsters at least 5XL lower than you ("The Tabmaster")
- Get bezerkitis or shoutitis by eating the purple when you had 7+ positive muts and no negatives ("One more hit")

3 deaths to D2 Sigmund. ("First stairs only stairs.")

E: If someone who is good at GIFs can make a Sigmund/DCSS version of :xcom:, I will buy it as : thatsdcss :

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 15, 2018

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
If no-one does I'll slap one together this evening when I get back from work.

Haven't played gooncrawl yet, been waiting for it to come to cbro (and monster hunter and Overwatch may have my attention) so in excited to give it a go soon.

EDIT: Got busy, will do it tomorrow for you.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 16, 2018

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

OK I've made it pretty far with my MiBe. What should I use for endgame armor? I have a +5 artifact MR+ chain mail, a +4 fire scales with no other enchantments, a +0 gold dragon armour, and I think a +2 or so MR plate armour

Here's my dump

https://pastebin.com/swESnrqp

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If you have a rC+ ring to swap on when ice enemies show up, fire scales would be good for zot.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

If you have a rC+ ring to swap on when ice enemies show up, fire scales would be good for zot.

How much more useful is rF than MR in general in the late game?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Both are useful, but unless you play very carefully orbs of fire will kill you without rF

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

OK I've made it pretty far with my MiBe. What should I use for endgame armor? I have a +5 artifact MR+ chain mail, a +4 fire scales with no other enchantments, a +0 gold dragon armour, and I think a +2 or so MR plate armour

Here's my dump

https://pastebin.com/swESnrqp

Have you never found any enchant armour scrolls? no hat and two +1 auxes is pretty unlucky.

I'd use the fire dragon scales in zot if you have an rC ring, or the GDA if you have an rF ring.

icantfindaname posted:

How much more useful is rF than MR in general in the late game?

MR is pretty useless on equipment since you have Trog and can use his Hand as needed.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I have like 10 enchant armors I just haven't used them yet

Good point about Trog, I didn't realize that included MR

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Broadly speaking, you don't wanna sit on enchant scrolls very long. At the very least if you have unenchanted aux armor(boots, gloves, hat/helmet, cloak) you should max them out, you might switch body armor but often you don't swap aux armor pieces.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Or, if you do, it'll be to artifacts, which makes the scrolls useless anyways.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Counterpoint: Exactly two sets of boots drop through both Lair branches: +0 of nothing and +1 of flying (as a Gargoyle). Finally got an acquire scroll and it drops +0 boots of running. Holy shitballs hello enchant armor scrolls.

E: Also minor bug in non-gooncrawl trunk: (a)ctivating flying as a race that can fly but has flying boots displays an x% chance to fail. I only landed/flew a couple times so I'm not sure if the bug is UI only or I rolled success each time.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 16, 2018

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

I have like 10 enchant armors I just haven't used them yet

Good point about Trog, I didn't realize that included MR

This pushes it to the GDA for me, whether you have other rF rings or not.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

rchandra posted:

This pushes it to the GDA for me, whether you have other rF rings or not.

I've got one non-artifact ring of fire resistance, that's it for rF besides the armor

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Okay, next set of discussion points:
Rework Hell effects:
  • What is currently the issue(s) you have with Hell effects? (ex. "I dislike that it can give large amounts of contamination spontaneously")
  • How can that issue/those issues be resolved, in your opinion? (ex. "Remove contamination from the list of potential effects, or rework the contamination effect to work in this new way)
As this fell under "Yes" instead of "Yes, with changes", a design/rework needs to be chosen. "Remove them entirely" is valid even though the vote stated "Rework", but I would prefer to see your opinion of why they should be removed entirely (if your reason is "They aren't fun", why specifically aren't they fun? Is there any way they could be made fun, or at least acceptable to be challenging without frustration, without resorting to removal?).

Rework Okawaru:
  • What is wrong with Okawaru currently?
  • What do you propose could fix/improve this?
This fell under "Yes, with changes"; if no proposal is liked enough when it comes to voting time, it will sit on the back burner until next version to try again.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think we agreed Okawaru just throwing trash weapons you rarely have an use for for free is lame.

I really loved the idea that Okawaru sends you a lot better poo poo but as Dancing Weapons you have to beat to get.

Make it an once-upon-a-time available option like Ru offers sacrifices; give them all in types you have a skill in, but let player choose the difficulty of like;

"Provide help for your meek follower" - a single middle-tier generic weapon around 2-5 with a brand.
"Give me a challenge" - a strong drat maxed level generic plus 1-2 of the weapons from previous tier spawning simultaneously, you get to keep all but only one is gonna be really worth it.
"Test my mastery" - a good randart/unrand and a pile of weapons from the previous tiers (6-8 total?).

Do or do not make them cost faith and scale in faith cost?
Do or do not make the time before next eligible challenge scale with difficulty?

I dunno if it would be on the head to administer the ammo in similar fashion but I think it could be kinda hilarious;
You call for ammo, get to choose the type, and a 1hp 0AC, 0EV apparition chasing you around and shooting you with your ammo of choice appears. It has limited lifespan and eventually dies and you're allowed to kill it prematurely if worried it will kill you otherwise (but killing it might cost you faith/prolong the time before it's available again).

No idea how to make armor a similar kinda challenge. Maybe tie it in with the apparition shooting you and the more hits you take the better the chance an armor of some quality appears afterwards? (Would be good because it would give people with no use for ammo have some reason to face the apparition).

Heroism I'd maybe make scale off the current sum of HD of poo poo around you in some radius so it would be, you know, heroic.

Speed is bland as heck and at the same time the biggest redeeming quality so I'll leave it to somebody else to come up with something.

Teal fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 16, 2018

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe let armor be the single one not-challenge aspect of Oka and give a chance to drop good quality armor at random when you survive some seriously overkill damage; like if you drop from 100% to 20% of HP over the course of 3 turns and survive it or something. No idea how easy would that be to game (I guess back it with further "only once upon a time" offset or make it only increase the chance/quality of the next drop, not make it the only way).

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Okawaru is fine but boring. He was a lot more interesting when he got pissed off by allied deaths, because it limited a lot of otherwise obvious choices.

I'd say base gift weighting heavily towards artifacts as as skill and/or level get above 20.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Make Okawaru grant ammo at high speed. Works with the 'fight your new weapon before you can pick it up' idea which owns.

E: Uncle Okawaru says 'hey it looks like you could use a javelin. Here you go!' *Portal projectiles a javelin at you with effective Throwing 27.*

E2: This started as a throwaway poo poo post but I like it more and more. Being randomly shitslapped with a projectile in the middle of a fight would discourage tab smashing because you may eat a javelin/arrow/bolt out of the ether at any time. I'm not sure how the >poison needles would work with this because those can be nasty.

E3: Exploding tomahawks would also be a problem because they instamulch. Does anyone use them anyway?

Edit 4, the edittening: Not familiar with the code but an easier implementation might be to piggyback on the existing penance code and spawn a monster with the gear that is being gifted.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 16, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's been a long time since I've done hell, but my recollection is that the annoying part of hell effects is when all they accomplish is making you hit 5 more. My proposed fix is that most hell effects only happen when enemies are visible. Hell effects that summon monsters can happen at any time, as currently. Doing this like teleportitis where the game continues to roll hell effects normally but non-summoning ones are suppressed when enemies aren't visible seems fine. Actually rolling the two separately would also be fine.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Holy poo poo gnolls are my new favourite good god drat

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Is it a problem to have some gods be pretty straightforward? I liked Oka starting out because his abilities are easy to use (they were Might and Haste back then but were pretty conceptually similar) and I liked getting decked out with lots of sweet gear. I don't really like the idea of adding fiddly mechanics that require you to deliberately take damage or whatever.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of spawning a monster with the gear Oka was going to gift. Adds variability to a given engagement which is something missing from a typical tabsmash character. With the caveat that I have not cloned the repo yet, it _seems_ like it would be relatively easy to work off of the existing penance code.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If Oka gifts become hostile, do them like Ru. Oka tells you "Hey you're ready for a gift, which one do you want" and then you choose between a set of three on your own time when nothing's already fighting you and then you get the thing

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

IMO it would be more interesting to just spawn a new yellow monster with massively OOD gear on penance gain (which implies being in a fight). Definitely would need some balancing but I think this would make fighter-ish characters more interesting.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

My idea for modifying Oka (I love playing with Oka currently):
  • Remove all random gift giving.
  • Roll for chance to generate an artifact armor/weapon gift when killing a dangerous (yellow/red) monster, guarantee a gift for a unique monster (white or higher). Happens at any piety level (when not under penance). Potentially increase odds/guarantee unrandarts for unique kills???
  • New passive at 3*: Invo*7.5% chance of returning shot/thrown ammo (make sure returned ammo doesn't mulch); stacks with brand if there is one, like needles. ~14 Invo=Unlimited, 100% returned ammo as long as piety level is sustained.
  • Re-roll weapon and shield gifts if skill in acquired gift is 0.0 (depends on acquirement code, might not be possible without affecting acquirement as well).
  • Maybe balance piety more around risk taking (less chance to get piety from normal kills, bigger gains for yellow/red kills).

cheetah7071 posted:

It's been a long time since I've done hell, but my recollection is that the annoying part of hell effects is when all they accomplish is making you hit 5 more. My proposed fix is that most hell effects only happen when enemies are visible. Hell effects that summon monsters can happen at any time, as currently. Doing this like teleportitis where the game continues to roll hell effects normally but non-summoning ones are suppressed when enemies aren't visible seems fine. Actually rolling the two separately would also be fine.

This would basically be my idea for Hell effects as well, plus removing the dumb ones like contamination and straight paralysis.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Oh man - rewarding unique kills sounds really good to me, though I think you'd still have to do it only for "level-appropriate" uniques. I think there's already an incentive to skip them and so turning that on its head would be great.

You could do it in the form of a "duel" ability that plops you in a completely enclosed arena that can't be teleported out of, thunderdome rules. If you win you get a randart and the walls drop, if you lose, you lose. (Maybe your heroism skill bonus could start lower but go up once for every 3 uniques killed? Or 3/4/5/etc for successive ones?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Only suggestion I have for hell is reduce it to two floors each. One random then the rune floor. It's just a race to the bottom at the moment and I think 6 floors of nothing important is what makes the hell effects far more frustrating. Maybe remove paralyzing and contamination from them for good measure.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think there's already an incentive to skip them and so turning that on its head would be great.
...skip... uniques???

• Locked thread