Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Where are the good Diamond Armlet areas if you're not hunting specific chests? I've heard Cerobi Steppe has of top-end gear with that in Zodiac, are there other places worth targeting over standard chests when just passing through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

After playing FFXII for a bit I'm genuinely considering switching to an English patched International Zodiac Edition on a PS2 emulator just so I can have custom controls, savestates, speed and window management.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
In the new ff12 zodic age, I just learned that there is dual classing, does it lock out the classes your already have? Can you do one char with white mage/* and another character picks up white mage as a second job(*/white mage)?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Tenzarin posted:

In the new ff12 zodic age, I just learned that there is dual classing, does it lock out the classes your already have? Can you do one char with white mage/* and another character picks up white mage as a second job(*/white mage)?
You can make every character a white mage if you so desire (but I think you can't take the same job twice on a character).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

You can make every character a white mage if you so desire (but I think you can't take the same job twice on a character).

That sounds really interesting and less restricting than the ps2 release. Really tempted to pick it up on steam just because of this.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Yeah, but can you make all of your party members white mages and beat Chaos at minimum level?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

lobster22221 posted:

Yeah, but can you make all of your party members white mages and beat Chaos at minimum level?

me using Vaan before he obtained Scathe: "christ this guy is loving useless"

me using Vaan after he obtained Scathe:

Also the fight with Greg was really cool and tense. FFXII late game is on point though the late-late game looks kind of ehhh from what I've read of it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Tenzarin posted:

That sounds really interesting and less restricting than the ps2 release. Really tempted to pick it up on steam just because of this.

Job system generally makes the game easier. Black magic is super useful and easy since when you nuke people with it, you can get abilities that replenish it for hurting and killing things.

Machinist is kind of useless, though. Save for the weapon being able to hit enemies in the air. I wish more classes had access to telekinesis that wasn't blocked by Espers.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

You can just not take a second job, though.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

seiferguy posted:

Job system generally makes the game easier. Black magic is super useful and easy since when you nuke people with it, you can get abilities that replenish it for hurting and killing things.

Machinist is kind of useless, though. Save for the weapon being able to hit enemies in the air.

The wiki is saying the zodiac versions allow you to hit air units with pole arms and spears, is that accurate?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

lobster22221 posted:

The wiki is saying the zodiac versions allow you to hit air units with pole arms and spears, is that accurate?
Yes.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Unfortuantely Uhlan is the worst license board.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Reik posted:

Unfortuantely Uhlan is the worst license board.

2nd worse. I'd argue machinist is worse.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

seiferguy posted:

2nd worse. I'd argue machinist is worse.

At least Machinist can provide Swiftness 3 and Time Magick 8-10 to a better board.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Samurai swords and a black mage yo

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

The only issue with two license boards is creating characters that have too much to do. Like, if you've got a Katana and Genji Gloves you're not gonna have time to cast spells, you're gonna be busy combo-ing people in the face, or if you make a White Mage/Time Mage you're gonna run out of gambits pretty quick.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Reik posted:

At least Machinist can provide Swiftness 3 and Time Magick 8-10 to a better board.

Time Magick 8-10 comes so goddamn late for Machinist that it’s barely worth considering

Machinist is so goddamn terrible

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

ROFL Octopus posted:

Time Magick 8-10 comes so goddamn late for Machinist that it’s barely worth considering

Machinist is so goddamn terrible

You can't even get Hastega until the great crystal, right?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Reik posted:

You can't even get Hastega until the great crystal, right?

Yep, and it’s in the part that was designed by a misanthrope

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

corn in the bible posted:

I mean, I'd rather use one or another. If I'm casting nuke magic, I want a staff equipped to up my magic power. I've never struggled with MP either with the MP abilities that black mage gets. With katanas I want my Genji gear for high damage + combos with the gloves.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I like giving mch to a job pair that won't get appreciable physical damage any other way, I gave it to my WHM/MCH Vaan. The darkshot dark robes combo is fun but there are so many better options anyway it's just a fun bonus.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The advantage I see to two jobs is the ability to switch. Sometimes it's nice to say "I want a full team casting Fira here" even if they're usually whacking things with sticks. But I still like the extra focus as opposed to the FF12 base game, where it took an act of will not to just have everyone wind up the same.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So FF 12, the optional boss in barheim passage. Should I just reflect curaga onto him until he dies? I couldn’t beat him in time this morning and reading up on it that seems to be a recommended strat. I’m not really willing to bother with the whole “you should be this prime level number” business.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You don't necessarily have to reflect it onto him it just does more damage that way. Mainly you just want to keep his minions dead because he takes less damage when they're around.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Reflecting spells owns just for the absurd dps

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ROFL Octopus posted:

Reflecting spells owns just for the absurd dps

Not to mention hitting several times more or less means you'll never run out of MP.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Reflect shenanigans are always fun, that's why I'm glad FF9 added abilities specifically to encourage them.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
12 adding an accessory that lets you cast curative spells through a reflective shield is genius.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

seiferguy posted:

12 adding an accessory that lets you cast curative spells through a reflective shield is genius.

why yes i would like to know more

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Sapozhnik posted:

why yes i would like to know more

The opal ring. Easy to get once you get to Phon Coast and you have the right monograph. The frogs there will drop items 30% of the time, and you only need to turn in 2 of them to get it in the bazaar.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

seiferguy posted:

ff9 called this *Reflect-Null

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Previously on FF12: the Emperor is close to a puppet of the Senate, who think his younger son Larsa will be an ideal puppet. His elder son Vayne is playing everyone, and everyone knows it. Larsa isn't as easy to control as he seems, and is out trying to broker peace before the war even begins. The Judges are split in their loyalty between Vayne and Larsa. And if Ashe can claim her birthright as Princess, she can be in a position to help untangle this web of intrigue.

Today on FF12: Too late, everyone's dead. "Okay then, screw politics where can I get some nukes?"

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bruceski posted:

Previously on FF12: the Emperor is close to a puppet of the Senate, who think his younger son Larsa will be an ideal puppet. His elder son Vayne is playing everyone, and everyone knows it. Larsa isn't as easy to control as he seems, and is out trying to broker peace before the war even begins. The Judges are split in their loyalty between Vayne and Larsa. And if Ashe can claim her birthright as Princess, she can be in a position to help untangle this web of intrigue.

Today on FF12: Too late, everyone's dead. "Okay then, screw politics where can I get some nukes?"

Sounds pretty true to life.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bruceski posted:

i'm surprised you remembered all that after the perspective switched back to vaan & co and you spent the next twelve hours loving around in various sand pits

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

i'm surprised you remembered all that after the perspective switched back to vaan & co and you spent the next twelve hours loving around in various sand pits

The broad strokes are pretty easy, just don't ask me to tell the Judges apart or anything. Judge Twin, Judge Funnyhelmet, Judge Otherfunnyhelmet, and Judge Deadnow.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bruceski posted:

The broad strokes are pretty easy, just don't ask me to tell the Judges apart or anything. Judge Twin, Judge Funnyhelmet, Judge Otherfunnyhelmet, and Judge Deadnow.

Ultimately I think I prefer the judges of FF:TA

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

Ultimately I think I prefer the judges of FF:TA

I can't look badly on anyone with pet birds.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bruceski posted:

FF12's one of those games where you can really see the needlework. It's a whole lotta vignettes that barely mesh together, but it's all genuinely charming enough with good VAs and Alexander O. Smith's faux-Shakespearan script that you roll with it anyways. Kinda makes me wonder what Matsuno had planned in his original script before the stress broke him.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I've said it before but the plot of FFXII peaks at a certain assassination and then its just downhill.

But I never played this game for the plot. I for one enjoy loving around in endless sandpits for loots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I know this will have been asked before but all I got from googling it is a bunch of gamefaqs nerds arguing with themselves: I’m gonna replay FFX, how easy is it to gimp yourself using the Expert sphere grid? Should I just stick with the standard?