Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

GalacticAcid posted:

no argument here but republicans were much, much better at dismantling labor unions than the dems

That doesn't really address the point. It makes sense for the GOP to attack labor because organized workers are a threat to its core mission. It makes less sense for the supposed party of the people to abandon one of their most critical extra-party support networks in favor of triangulation third way horseshit. It'd be like if liberals managed to destroy the NRA as a functioning political institution and along the way Republicans just kinda low-key signed onto various gun control measures and ignored NRA asks while paying it lip service. Yeah, liberals in this case were the more active antagonists, but they didn't shoot themselves in the foot by being wishy-washy and spurning their base.

e:f,b in much fewer and better words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

GalacticAcid posted:

no argument here but republicans were much, much better at dismantling labor unions than the dems

Actually, southern democrats were the best at that.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
whatever this poo poo's boring who cares

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
i've changed my mind...tehre are no structural issues dictating politics, there are no material conditions worth analyzing beyond 'dems bad'

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

lol actually i got one

ban all guns, you morons

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ban all guns, but only if it also applies to police

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

its asymmetrical because the republicans understand that the extraparty orgs are important which is why they defend the megachurches and do all they can to gently caress over labor but the dems refuse to acknowledge anything outside the DC/NYC bubble and let unions die and only pay lip service to racial justice organizations (that are also being actively fought by republicans and cops)

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 18:59 on Feb 16, 2018

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GalacticAcid posted:

this requires a longer post than im willing to do right now but

this illustrates how movement conservatism's power derives from its extra-party organs

the NRA & evangelical churches are mass orgs with policy-educated memberships who provide real ground work and reliable voter hauls

that's why the succ zone is loving stupid for bitching about 'the democrats' all the time when 'the republicans' would probably be just as useless without an organized, disciplined, militant Right Wing operating independently of the party

right, and once back in power, the Democrats should go after the NRA, after right wing media, and after right wing churches

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

right, and once back in power, the Democrats should go after the NRA, after right wing media, and after right wing churches

inshallah

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

i've changed my mind...tehre are no structural issues dictating politics, there are no material conditions worth analyzing beyond 'dems bad'

The thing is my dude that the dems absolutely contributed to those structural issues, the party deliberately turned to the right from the 70s onward and embraced a political strategy around attacking labor and activists. They did this because of structural issues too, but there's a reason people keep getting mad at this loving party. Cause any whole answer to "how did poo poo get this bad" has, as part of it, a lot of poo poo that the democrats actively did, not just stuff they failed to stop.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
yea no poo poo that doesn't contradict anything i said

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

I mean poo poo that won’t happen for $200, but Bernie’s apparent lack of interest in going after much of the right’s sources of power doesn’t give me much hope for Bernieism being a meaningful force in opposing fascism either

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Oh Snapple! posted:

:hai:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
im signing off for a few days because the failing new york times thread is making me unacceptably mad online

i'll report back on tuesday about how canvassing for ocasio against old poo poo dem crowley goes on saturday

have a good Nixon / Buchanan / Trump day weekend

pce to succ zone

nah
Mar 16, 2009

ban the police, give everyone free guns provided by the state

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Should. Won't.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Rest well, Brother Acid.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Should. Won't.

no kidding

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shear Modulus posted:

its asymmetrical because the republicans understand that the extraparty orgs are important which is why they defend the megachurches and do all they can to gently caress over labor but the dems refuse to acknowledge anything outside the DC/NYC bubble and let unions die and only pay lip service to racial justice organizations (that are also being actively fought republicans and cops)

How is this party not controlled opposition in all ways that matter

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

Because that would imply that someone's in control.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Rest well, Brother Acid.

this is a :psyboom: moment for me. I have never seen that 'c' before.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

docbeard posted:

Because that would imply that someone's in control.

Extremely rich people acting in their own self interest are in control, more or less.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I mean poo poo that won’t happen for $200, but Bernie’s apparent lack of interest in going after much of the right’s sources of power doesn’t give me much hope for Bernieism being a meaningful force in opposing fascism either

Hes not perfect but he has said more poo poo about another major source of right wing power (the 1% donor class) than literally any other dem

Its not really possible for him to speak out against the evangelicals since hes a heathen jew to them

Any major opposition to the megachurches is going to have to come from within Christianity, unfortunately

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

oh theyre controlled opposition all right but mamy of them are too dumb or blinkered to realize it

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Oh Snapple! posted:

Agreed.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
all politics is controlled opposition to the real source of world power, Gay Frogs

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

logikv9 posted:

all politics is controlled opposition to the real source of world power, Gay Frogs

*wordlessly pushes a juice box across the table*

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

All religion, not just some dumbass two-sides of politics, right vs left. framing.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Get ready for the next wave of left-punching https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/964561782953136128

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ruzihm posted:

Get ready for the next wave of left-punching https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/964561782953136128

The perfidious bernie bros' are actually russian sleeper agents!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Ruzihm posted:

can’t believe those dang ruskies got me to support universal health care and free college! welp, i have seen the error of my ways and i’m a centrist now

nah
Mar 16, 2009

its gonna be cool when legitimately good leftist candidates trying to primary lovely centrist dems are going to be treated as traitors and called Russian spies and people will actually believe it lol

just kidding...that wont be cool at all!!!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GoluboiOgon posted:

i think that a lot of the hopeless obama fans are looking for another strong, wise black leader to idolize while the world burns. this one is completely imaginary, but they don't care.

tbf obama the strong, wise leader was imaginary too

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Except Dems actively undermined the leftist equivalent of evangelical churches and the NRA: labor unions (especially radical ones).

and spent the better part of the past two decades dithering while black people were systematically disenfranchised, after actively disenfranchising them themselves during the clinton administration

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

can’t believe those dang ruskies got me to support universal health care and free college! welp, i have seen the error of my ways and i’m a centrist now

#AetnaIsBae #LoveDatDeductible #ComradeBerned #ZuckTeachAmerica

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

All religion, not just some dumbass two-sides of politics, right vs left. framing.

wrong, between both MLK and in the modern day, Rev. Barber

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Don't forget the Honorable Rev. Wright.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ruzihm posted:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

barber's a bernie bro now

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Bernie sanders on the body of Arnold Schwarzenegger, known misogynist and possibly product of a nazi supersoldier program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A nigh-inexhaustible war chest, her pick of the supposed cream of the crop of campaign advisors and experts in matters of strategy, and she couldn't overcome a six figgy Facebook ad buy.

• Locked thread