Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

My grief sensor is tingeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
I hope those greebles are a bit off to the side for that turret.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Beet Wagon posted:

I wonder what Kayak would do if I tonged him. Probably just stand there and look at me like I'm some kind of idiot.

So like... Just another day?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Pilz posted:

Are...are we CIG employees?

If CIG is listing us as employees in these reports, do they have to pay us?

Will we get dental?

I'm listed as Lead Planetary Sanitation Design Engineer, so yup.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/964531859710345216

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

Beexoffel posted:

To me this looks like a combine harvester where the wheels have come off (loving ramps :argh: )

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

There's actually a general sentiment here I'd like to voice my agreement with, although I may just be using it as an excuse to complain about a current market trend of refusing to trust your customers. The humour in our good reddit friend's statement above comes from the fact that he's bitching about loot boxes and exploitative monetization practices despite having likely spent thousands on scummy vaporware. It seems contradictory, and to a degree it is - but there's a logic there as well.

For a moment, view it from their perspective. Star Citizen is not vaporware, it is a product that is coming out in the not-to-distant future. Given that CIG is going to release a product and that you take everything they say as gospel, they're remarkably honest with what you're paying for. $200 gets you a fighter, a mining vessel, a news van, or a science ship with X, Y, Zt features. The game itself costs...some amount I can't be assed to look up, but remember it won't be pay to win! All these ships they're selling now will be obtainable with hard work in-game. You're just helping to fund the development of the BDSSE, the only game you'll ever play again!

Now compare that perceived clarity with loot boxes. You pay 60 dollars, or more if you happen to live outside of the US, for a game that isn't feature-complete to begin with. It demands your money at every turn, clawing at your wallet. Loot box vendors don't even have the dignity of those hawking horse armour DLC since at least then you know exactly how much you'll pay to get what you want. That's the problem with loot boxes - it's the mark of a company who is so convinced you won't pay a fair amount for the product they try to disguise it. Maybe if they weren't so untrustworthy to begin with they wouldn't need to rely on sleight of hand to make a living.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Pilz posted:

Will we get dental?

YES!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beexoffel posted:

What the gently caress piece of Archered bullshit is that?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lladre posted:

So like... Just another day?

Basically, yeah.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/964549068029612032

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What the gently caress piece of Archered bullshit is that?

Opinions are divided between the Type 6 and the Keelback.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mirificus, are you like, retired or independently wealthy?

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Potato Salad posted:

He just needs a little electricity, a processor and some space on a HDD ; he's cheap.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zzr posted:

He just needs a little electricity, a processor and some space on a HDD ; he's cheap.

value != price

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Oh so now these fuckers are toxxxxing over a court decision?

How... derivative of you

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Potato Salad posted:

Mirificus is a sentient AI gone rogue, too much time spent waddling in the brown sea corrupted his code. :)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

None of those words mean what he thinks they mean.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hav posted:

None of those words mean what he thinks they mean.

Not even “a”? :ohdear:

I mean, you're probably not wrong, but I didn't expect it to be quite that dire.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Star Citizen has the best fans.

btw this is what they're now pissed over. It's hilarious really.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/964204019693453312.html

This morning's update is sure to anger them to no end.

http://www.dereksmart.com/forum/index.php?topic=15.msg7599#msg7599

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Kosumo posted:

I think this as gone to far.

I think this failed game developer really needs to take a long hard look at himself.

I'm asking you, Chris Roberts, to stop doing this.

:laffo::laffo:

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

man, trying to "my own personal army" the ladies of TwoX because nobody else gives a poo poo that the bad man doesn't like the video game is pretty much the saddest thing I think I've ever seen that dude do.

[removed]

I guess it didn't take? :laffo:

----------------

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

That's absolute bollocks

The only thing growing is the list of vacancies across multiple recruitment sites since Q4 2017

475 staff but only one physics programmer and what is it, 3 or 4 network people?

And only one GUI programmer?

One junior audio guy who only stayed a few months?

What are all the other 400 staff doing? Processing refunds? There aren't even 400 people logging into the game on a daily basis.

There are not 475 staff on CIG's payroll, toxx

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Don’t they have what, 70 vacancies at the moment?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Not even “a”? :ohdear:

I mean, you're probably not wrong, but I didn't expect it to be quite that dire.

Especially 'a'.

If anything was going to happen 'with prejudice', it would have happened. Like the clue is in the word.

D_Smart posted:

This morning's update is sure to anger them to no end.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

If this game ever comes out, (lol) their better be an org or something just to grief this man.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Cao Ni Ma posted:

475 people. I know they probably underpay and they cut corners everywhere except executive luxuries but thats nearly 50m a year. Even if its 40m, which would be pretty drat efficient they are still running a huge deficit.

Its probably just inflated numbers from temps and including one time personnel like the actors and such. Maybe they count the entirety of turbulent as developers for the game too.

So Erin 'sat down' with this guy to answer a question about staffing.

I wonder what prompted the question?

I remember when Saatchi & Saatchi, the big advertising company opened their first office in London, they hired folks to come in and fill the place up to look like a busy thriving company because they understood the huge HUGE importance of appearing as an established large company to clients.

Erin is pulling in figures from everywhere to make up these numbers.

They have a budget for 475 staff plus paying Turbulent, paying banks, paying travel, offering relocation, paying mocap and actors from selling jpegs to 3,000 odd whales?

Yeah right, pull the other one Erin, it's got loving bells on it

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Torquemada posted:

Don’t they have what, 70 vacancies at the moment?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

SomethingJones posted:

So Erin 'sat down' with this guy to answer a question about staffing.

I wonder what prompted the question?

I remember when Saatchi & Saatchi, the big advertising company opened their first office in London, they hired folks to come in and fill the place up to look like a busy thriving company because they understood the huge HUGE importance of appearing as an established large company to clients.

Erin is pulling in figures from everywhere to make up these numbers.

They have a budget for 475 staff plus paying Turbulent, paying banks, paying travel, offering relocation, paying mocap and actors from selling jpegs to 3,000 odd whales?

Yeah right, pull the other one Erin, it's got loving bells on it

LOL 90 days tops.

!remindmein90days

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
is star citizen playable yet

!remindmein2years

TheGodofIris
Oct 12, 2016

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free
Tane

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Gonna need a medic for that one!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

MoMA what's your favorite thing to do in 3.0 and how many hours have you played it in the past 2 weeks?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hav posted:

Especially 'a'.

If anything was going to happen 'with prejudice', it would have happened. Like the clue is in the word.

Speaking of, can someone who's more into the finer details of the language explain to me the whole “[usually terminate] with extreme prejudice” thing? What makes it prejudice, and what makes it extreme? Is it because it's not even remotely letting the matter get close to any kind of legal judgement that might entail a the same end. Or is it an coy version of making it rather explicit how extreme the justice-avoiding termination in question is?

It's such a weird phrase, and yet so commonplace. Or is that just because Coppola made it popular?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
is star citizen played out yet

!raffle

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

big nipples big life posted:

MoMA what's your favorite thing to do in 3.0 and how many hours have you played it in the past 2 weeks?

Whoever was doing those player counts will doxx MOMA if he tells us he's played Star Citizen recently.

Not that its hard to do since you've only got a pool of like... 6 people, but still!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The player counts don't include the PU so they are pretty worthless tbqh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

MedicineHut posted:

Great news all around!

Which ship (s) do you suggest I pledge to with my disposable $1,500?

The Crown & King Auto 5 and Sparks LRR are probably the quickest ways to remove people from the starter planet. You may need to ask for assistance if you're planning on leaving yourself, though.