Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Take this as you will:

quote:

The guy who nailed Custodes and Dok has spoken:

This is an actual piece of scenery GW is going to sell, and that will have its own rules like the Sylvaneth Wyldwood. It's part of the entire Sea Aelves new range, which are absolutely stunning visually, will have tons of sea creatures to ride, one of which is MASSIVE, and unique high cost heroes with crazy design. Also forget about the Cthullu look, their design is closer to bad-rear end Atlantean Spartans.
https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/2746#disqus_thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

No way would they call a new army "Fishmen"

Probably something like "Fyshmeen".

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I want Sea Elves for sure, but destruction needs some more cool guys.

Elves not aligned with Order could be good at least...

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

We need those Grot Sky Pirates that have been rumored since forever

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Would be nice if Death got some new models to go with their campaign, but whatever, sea elves sound cool.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Would be nice if Death got some new models to go with their campaign, but whatever, sea elves sound cool.

You mean the Malign Portents campaign centered around the Aelves finally revealing themselves and the return of Slaanesh?

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
High elves who literally Got In The Sea would be a great race though, I've really liked the direction they took with dwarves and wood elves lore wise in that epic mythology sense as they escaped the age of chaos and evolved into new societies.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I want Sea Elves for sure, but destruction needs some more cool guys.

Elves not aligned with Order could be good at least...

Apparently Morathi's gang is order in name only and might as well have been part of it's own grand alliance.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Tiger Millionaire posted:

High elves who literally Got In The Sea would be a great race though, I've really liked the direction they took with dwarves and wood elves lore wise in that epic mythology sense as they escaped the age of chaos and evolved into new societies.

Yeah, Ulthuan was always "Atlantis except not underwater", they've always had a kinda nautical theme with Sea Guard etc, so this seems like a natural progression.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Dark elves already have pirate and sea monster models, although I guess back to back dark elf factions would be a little odd

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Maybe they'll combine Sea Guard and Corsairs together?

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I barely follow lore for this game but if I read things right Malekith (dark elf supreme leader) and Tyrion (high elf supreme leader) were last spotted working together to free Morathi (previewed witch elf faction leader) and they all fall under the order umbrella anyways so that would make some sense?

The biggest turn off for me as a former WHFB player was just how splintered every faction became. I mean there are literally factions on their website with 1 model. I wouldn't mind if they walked that back a bit.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

great big cardboard tube posted:

I barely follow lore for this game but if I read things right Malekith (dark elf supreme leader) and Tyrion (high elf supreme leader) were last spotted working together to free Morathi (previewed witch elf faction leader) and they all fall under the order umbrella anyways so that would make some sense?

The biggest turn off for me as a former WHFB player was just how splintered every faction became. I mean there are literally factions on their website with 1 model. I wouldn't mind if they walked that back a bit.

They've actually been walking that back a bit, though not nearly as much as they should, Legions of Nagash+The combined Chaos factions have done a lot to consolidate their respective factions. I agree that there isn't an excuse for one model factions at this point though.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They've mentioned Sea Elves a few times recently in relation to Blood Bowl.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
My suspicion is that the faction clusterfuck was a precursor of sorts to the 40k keyword system, and that when the time comes for a major rules revision we'll see those keywords implemented in AoS as well.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

i want that god drat boat

i want more crazy rear end terrain as long as it doesn't cost as much as the khorne fortifications because lmao

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

To be exact they worked together to seal Slaanesh, while he was weakened and distracted from having glutted himself on millions of Elf souls. (While Daemons eating souls normally empowers them, Slannesh had eaten too many at once and was slowly digesting them.) Malekith then trapped Slaanesh and Slaanesh was forced to disgorge most of the elf souls. Morathi was ether freed prior to this on her own or was freed here, I am not sure.

Anyway both Malekith and Tyrion after this left Sigmar's alliance to pursue their own ends.

Tyrion is apparently fighting with the Forces of Tzeentch in a deadlock in his realm. While Malekith appears to have closed off his Realm to all. No forces from the other major factions have been able to get into Malekiths territory. They ether enter into the Shadows and are never seen again or their corpses are left outside of the realm.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pendent posted:

My suspicion is that the faction clusterfuck was a precursor of sorts to the 40k keyword system, and that when the time comes for a major rules revision we'll see those keywords implemented in AoS as well.

It's a side effect of Age of Sigmar's botched release. Namely they broke all these factions into smaller groups to show new organizations and factions in the Age of Sigmar with no regard for stuff like Allegiance abilities. Cause they had not thought of those yet and they did not exist. There was no balancing and stuff like that originally and you were free to take whatever you wanted in an army. So the faction split was meaningless. Now that they changed how stuff works. The split factions are redundant or incredibly weakened by the system.

Ideally they will remerge all the factions.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I was completely detached from the hobby during the launch of AoS so I missed the immediate effect/reaction but from what I gather it was the equivalent of saying "do whatever you want as long as you still buy our products" and they thought that would work? It sounds like calvinball in tabletop form and while I guess that would appeal to some folks I can't picture a multi-million dollar corporation thinking that was the best way to market their expensive models. Definitely not the same company that completely rethought their community outreach approach and redid their business model in such a way that their stock tripled in a year. It's baffling.

Please feel free to link me to the threads this has been discussed ad nauseum in. I've almost caught up on the "uninspiration" model thread and I could use some more laughs.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I was completely detached from the hobby during the launch of AoS so I missed the immediate effect/reaction but from what I gather it was the equivalent of saying "do whatever you want as long as you still buy our products" and they thought that would work? It sounds like calvinball in tabletop form and while I guess that would appeal to some folks I can't picture a multi-million dollar corporation thinking that was the best way to market their expensive models. Definitely not the same company that completely rethought their community outreach approach and redid their business model in such a way that their stock tripled in a year. It's baffling.

Please feel free to link me to the threads this has been discussed ad nauseum in. I've almost caught up on the "uninspiration" model thread and I could use some more laughs.

I think ti was due to the change in company leadership. Sorry I don't have links.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

New CEO was a huge part of it. If you wanna check it out, the GW Death Threads are where you'd want to look.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

As someone who followed the proceedings but had no personal stake in them beyond a love of WHFB as a setting I will say that AoS started out extremely badly. I personally found the entire thing offensive down to the fluff (initially) being an extremely bland saturday morning cartoon version of 40k. That the first initial model releases were Stormcasts, Khorne and Fyreslayers did not help matters since I find Stomcasts and Fyreslayers to be some of the worst model ranges GW has put out (Stormcast because they are painfully bland and Fyreslayers because they're hideous) and the Bloodbound were just World Eaters without the sci-fi armor or the interesting background.

My interest in AoS returned right around when Disciples of Tzeentch was released and I took another look at the game. Far better model ranges had come out by then (Sylvaneth, Ironjawz, and Tzeentch) which managed to make the setting look like something other than Bland Space Marines and Homoerotic midgets vs Bland Chaos Space Marines forever and the General's Handbook had made people actually want to play the game.

Of course 40k took precedence for me when I found myself in a position to break into the hobby, but i'm hoping in a few months the Death Guard army will morph into a Maggotkin army.

Anyway thats my unsolicited story about my relationship with AoS.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I took a Khorne census of my miniature closet. Here is what I have.:

Leaders
Mighty Lord Of Khorne (140) x 3
Bloodsecrator (120) x 3
Bloodstoker (80) x 2
Aspiring Deathbringer with Goreaxe and Skullhammer (100)
Exalted Deathbringer with Ruinous Axe & Skullgouger (80)
Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear (80)
Skullgrinder (80)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100) x 2

Units
30 x Blood Warriors (520)
80 x Bloodreavers (480)
7 x Khorgoraths (560)
20 x Wrathmongers (720)
20 x Skullreapers (720)

Nearly 4700 points of Khorne to assemble and paint.

I need help. I found myself thinking about starting Fyreslayers this afternoon, because they are strong.

Given that I already have more miniatures than anyone needs, I want to build Khorne as soon as I get my Sylvaneth done.

What would be the strongest 2000pt list I could make with what I have?

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
It’s a good army, but where are the Bloodthirsters? And Skullcannons? Wouldn’t such an awesome collection/backlog be improved by a couple of centrepiece models?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am more looking for "build this poo poo first" kind of help. I bought so much stuff that it is kind of daunting!

A little friendly guidance would help get me started on this sizeable project.

Edit: I was reading Sylvaneth lists and came across a good strat. He included two Knight Heraldors. Set up forests, and blow them horns!

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 17, 2018

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Is there any point in signing up for Azyr if I'm not buying the books digitally?

It doesn't seem to do anything that scroll builder won't already do.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Played a couple of games with the new Portents today. We randomly rolled for decks because we didn't have time to look at them all to decide which would work best for our factions, but they were still a lot of fun and added a real interesting dynamic. Knowing my opponent had a Portent that could force me to only roll one d6 for a charge made me have to really consider positioning and movement super carefully

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/02/17/sky-storm-new-releases-warhammer-age-sigmar/

Can anyone tell me why Stormcast needed another Start Collecting box? Especially when so many factions in 40k and AoS are missing one.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Popularity.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Yeah hard to argue with demand.

They hosed up though because I'd snap up a bundle with the dragon rider guys, but it's got the turkey riders instead.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's not even popularity. They just push them. They have never been best sellers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Morathi reveal.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/02/18/shadow-queen-unveiled/

Also somthing else with MP I have not read it yet.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/02/18/join-the-malign-portents-coalescencegw-homepage-post-3/

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm honestly super glad they aren't as ubiquitous as marines. I think the original Stormcast Start Collecting box also has the problem of not being able to make actual units out of the model numbers they give you.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Huh interesting in the Morathi and Daughters Preview. You can now field the Statue of Khaine on the Blood Cauldron as an Avatar of Khaine.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I like that, been holding back on the current kit since I have the old metal one. Might pick up that allies box in addition to the preorders. I also like that apparently Morathi has gotten more modest in her old age.

I can't tell, but it looks like there's an arm coming out of the pillar she wrapped around. Like she's crushing a dude against the pillar in her coils.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
What a fantastic model.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

Huh interesting in the Morathi and Daughters Preview. You can now field the Statue of Khaine on the Blood Cauldron as an Avatar of Khaine.

Specifically an Iron Avatar of Khaine

Also I had settled on Maggotkin but the Death Metal Elves are seriously tempting, I'm hoping a lot of this aesthetic is a precursor to the upcoming Slaanesh releases since Morathi was "twisted by the depredations of Slaanesh".

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Yeah. I was tempted by naked dwarves, now i am tempted by snake women.

Must stay focused!

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

dexefiend posted:

Yeah. I was tempted by naked dwarves, now i am tempted by snake women.

Must stay focused!

You should paint some battleline units and a Khorgorath and a Lord of Khorne, just to get a valid army.

Both of those Morathi models are amazing. The larger one is an instant classic. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s one of the top models of 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

That's a badass model, love it. I also really like the new harpy and naga things.

On the other hand I look at the cover for their battletome and to a lesser extent the basic witch models and think I'd be too embarrassed to play the titty elf faction.

• Locked thread