Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Leal posted:

Every time I hear Deep Sixed I think of that extremely cringy line in Jak and Daxter

Jak 2, actually.

That game was far more fun than it had any right to be. "Grand Theft Auto but with Jak and Daxter" should not be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Well I for one I'm really loving Metal Gear Survive except for the regional price. If there's any american that can help me buy a 33 buck code from GMG, I'd be forever in their debt.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Det_no posted:

Well I for one I'm really loving Metal Gear Survive except for the regional price. If there's any american that can help me buy a 33 buck code from GMG, I'd be forever in their debt.

Yeah, me too. Beta is fun and I'm interested in the single player. It's also hilariously shameless which is noteworthy

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Ulio posted:

Finished half life 2, should I play Half Life 1 or just go to the sequels? Also is there a mod or anything that makes the first look better?

Black Mesa is a remake of sorts of the first one and looks better than HL2 at times

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Ulio posted:

Finished half life 2, should I play Half Life 1 or just go to the sequels? Also is there a mod or anything that makes the first look better?

Play the sequel episodes and then the original. You move around fast as gently caress in HL1 as god intended you to in fps's, though going down ladders is a crapshoot. Play Opposing Force after the original if you're still hankering for some more HL. It's good. Blue Shift, the other HL1 spin-off thing is pretty boring.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 16, 2018

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

ZearothK posted:

So, Rain World? Heat Signature? Sell me or unsell me.

I'll quote my earlier post:

Pigbuster posted:

Rain World is such a weird game for me because I... think it's a masterpiece, but my memories of it are such a blur. It's one of the most oppressive game worlds I've ever seen; I look back at The Exterior and it just boggles my mind how I was able to even begin to get through that, but that's sorta what the game does, it makes you start operating purely on instinct to survive the everything. Getting through an area you spent the last few hours beating your head against is so satisfying, and sometimes the procedural generation blesses you with absolute magic like fighting alongside a gang of scavengers in a war against a lizard horde and then a vulture flies in and causes even more chaos and it's the best poo poo ever.

I feel like it's worth showing just why the game has its title, because it's really something else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXUzm4tfOkg

One thing I didn't mention is that there's now an easy difficulty that makes enemies less aggressive and the karma system less punishing. It's hard to say which I'd recommend; the normal difficulty is truly absurd, but pulling off victories is so satisfying. As far as I can tell the only thing easy mode misses out on are certain unlocks for the sandbox mode.

I'd also say to look things up if you get stuck because the game doesn't tell you much and it can trip you up. One major thing I ran into: you double-tap the pickup button to switch objects between hands. This is vital because the slugcat likes to prioritize spears which makes it the item they'll throw first, but the best way to fight lizards is to chuck a rock at their heads to knock them back and then spear their neck, so it's far better to have a rock in the Slugcat's right hand, spear in the left. I would've given the game up if I didn't know this. Another thing is to NEVER press jump underwater to speed up, since it makes most of your air go away. Instead you snake through the water to go fast.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

First world problems: I want to start Prey again to put my new ultrawide monitor thru its paces, but the aiming reticle is far far too low when in an ultrawide resolution. Anyone else seen this?

(ed) Mind you the bullets (or darts :v:) DO hit where the reticle is, it's just really offputting for the aim point to be so far below center.

Also wowee zowee I need to turn AA back on.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I was about to comment on all the jaggies.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Once again, if you joined SEGA's War thingy, check your stuff. Binary Domain and CoH2 DLC were added to your library, and there is a 75% discount coupon for Endless Legend on your inventory.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Any games you guys recommend for picking up, playing for an hour or two tops and hopping out? Any genre goes

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

First world problems: I want to start Prey again to put my new ultrawide monitor thru its paces, but the aiming reticle is far far too low when in an ultrawide resolution. Anyone else seen this?

(ed) Mind you the bullets (or darts :v:) DO hit where the reticle is, it's just really offputting for the aim point to be so far below center.

Also wowee zowee I need to turn AA back on.

Turns out it's configurable in (Prey folder)\GameSDK\game.cfg, via variable g_reticleYPercentage (default is 0.575, I set it to 0.530 and it's about right for all weapons now)

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

Ciaphas posted:

It's nothing to do with resolution, Prey's crosshair just isn't centred for some reason. I think it was something like making people not stare at the ground so much.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Mystic Stylez posted:

Any games you guys recommend for picking up, playing for an hour or two tops and hopping out? Any genre goes

Arcade(y) games are what you want. Monolith, Nex Machina, Wild Guns Reloaded, all of the Cave and Triangle Service shmups, Eschatos, Kero Blaster.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Now that the sale's on, anyone got any good recommendations for non-versus multiplayer games? Something me and my partner can play together that also doesn't require extremely mlg pro skill at video games because she's not super good at stuff that requires really high reaction time.

edit: Also something that's not an MMO because steam has been giving us nothing but MMOs with those specifications and we're sick of it

You may have already done it but Portal 2.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Mystic Stylez posted:

How many times?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Mystic Stylez posted:

Seventh Arrow posted:

4. Serial Cleaner

Serial Cleaner is a top-down stealth game where you play the part of Bob Leaner, a single dude in the 1970s living with his retired mom. You're an expert "cleaner," meaning that you rush to the scene of grisly murders and clean up any bodies and evidence before the police can process everything. Of course, complicating things is that the authorities are usually on the scene at the time, so you need to skillfully evade them while dumping bodies, picking up evidence and hoovering up blood with your noisy industrial vacuum cleaner. Bob doesn't only work for the mafia though - he's willing to help out serial killers and anyone else who can help him clear out his looming debts.

There are a number of gimmicks that help you navigate your way through those messy police investigations; first of all, there are hiding places like bushes, closets, and the ever-trusty cardboard box. One thing that's interesting about the hiding places is that they are inviolable. The cops can be hot on your heels and see you dive into a closet but once you're there, they'll look around for a bit and take off. You also have shortcuts, which are trapdoors that allow you to essentially teleport from one end of the map to the other; shortcuts can be visible to the cops though, so you have to be careful before using them. As well, there are movable objects, like dressers, cars, automated doors, etc. These can be used to block off a cop's patrol route or field of vision. Finally there are noise distractions like speakers or appliances that will lure the authorities away for a while. Getting to know these gimmicks is essential because you can't take out any of your enemies and you don't have any gadgets like smoke bombs or stun guns to help you get out of trouble. If you get spotted, your only hope is to either grab a shortcut or get to a hiding place.

The game seems fast, especially because the movement is reminiscent of Hotline Miami...however, you can actually go at your own pace and make each level as long or as short as you like. I liked Serial Cleaner quite a bit, but it only held my interest for a level at a time. The levels get to be quite expansive and clever, though, so your mileage may vary - especially because it takes a lot of mistakes to find out the best way around the cops (who have a huge vision cone, by the way) and this may impact your frustration level. That said, if you're in the mood for a unique stealth game that isn't afraid to do things a little differently, then I'd say it's certainly worth a try.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

bad boyfriend worse lay posted:

It's nothing to do with resolution, Prey's crosshair just isn't centred for some reason. I think it was something like making people not stare at the ground so much.

Yeah I kinda realized that from messing around. It was also way way off from where the weapons appeared to be pointing though, to the point where slower rounds like darts or beams were noticeably offset

Luckily its configurable :buddy:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

also nthing Monolith please play Monolith

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Samuringa posted:

Once again, if you joined SEGA's War thingy, check your stuff. Binary Domain and CoH2 DLC were added to your library, and there is a 75% discount coupon for Endless Legend on your inventory.

speaking of the war thingy, has anyone actually gotten the copy of Streets of Rage 2 you were supposed to get just by signing up, because i kinda want to play it and it still hasn't shown up in my library

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
How's Space Invaders Extreme? It looks like fun.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

dmboogie posted:

speaking of the war thingy, has anyone actually gotten the copy of Streets of Rage 2 you were supposed to get just by signing up, because i kinda want to play it and it still hasn't shown up in my library

It shows up as DLC for SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Ryuga Death posted:

How's Space Invaders Extreme? It looks like fun.

It's fantastic. Bit expensive, though.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Terminally Bored posted:

It's fantastic. Bit expensive, though.

Not that much content for 20 dollars? I assume the port is okay.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ZearothK posted:

So, Rain World? Heat Signature? Sell me or unsell me.

Heat Signature is a game of terrible mistakes and clever solutions. You get a bunch of neat tools, and you can pause at any time to think or even to aim guns or other weapons/tools, so you can set up weird stuff.

A few webms I made ages ago:

Infiltrate a heavily defended ship to rescue someone? Nah, I'll just hijack a different ship and blow the first ship up until my rescue target gets sucked out a blast hole.
https://i.imgur.com/Dv9WVJ8.mp4

Out of armor piercing weapons and I got an armored dude is in my way all I got is a swapper, a concussion hammer, and a stupid idea.
https://i.imgur.com/1MD5BSg.mp4

Got blown out a window infiltrating through this ship. Didn't feel like sneaking past all those guards again, so I figured I'd just go back in the way I went out.
https://i.imgur.com/lGOx6aD.mp4

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 16, 2018

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Ryuga Death posted:

Not that much content for 20 dollars? I assume the port is okay.

No, I mean for a port of a 2008 PSP game. This video will explain better than I ever will:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro1lBWURU8I

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Heat Signature is a game of terrible mistakes and clever solutions.

Its also a game for fuckin ants. I liked it but I hate looking at it.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Cowcaster posted:

i, too, am also too woke to be horney or see things as horney

edit: wrong thread but glad to affirm it anywhere

This is an appropriate response to the posts just above you.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

MMF Freeway posted:

Its also a game for fuckin ants. I liked it but I hate looking at it.

:same:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Looking for some opinions on my cart:

Shock Tactics, aka generic XCOM clone that looks like it'll scratch that itch.

Divinity Dragon Commander aka four games smushed into one so it's like Spore where they're all not great, but I hear the writing is amazing.

JYDGE - shooty things. As it's the most expensive thing on my list it's the one most likely to get cut. How difficult is it?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

StrixNebulosa posted:

Divinity Dragon Commander aka four games smushed into one so it's like Spore where they're all not great, but I hear the writing is amazing.

The CYOA game has fun writing. The strategic game is a pretty simple boardgame against braindead enemies, the tactical game is just a series of skirmishes in varied maps and gets pretty repetitive. The dragon action game is something added to the tactical game.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

This game is really stupid and none of it really works and you should definitely buy it and play it, because you'll get piles of fun out of it. Certainly at that price.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The writing is what saves a lot of Dragon Commander but I guess it depends on what you heard was amazing about it. It's really fun writing, like the rest of the Divinity series, that incorporates some very-on-the-nose (and occasionally just the nose) metaphors for political and social issues to go along with its alliance building/breaking stuff. IE. the undead skeletons are the religious fundamentalists that don't like it all this "equality" stuff the elves are preaching. But its better than what the sentence makes it seem.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

StrixNebulosa posted:

JYDGE - shooty things. As it's the most expensive thing on my list it's the one most likely to get cut. How difficult is it?

I haven't played it but it's had a lot of good buzz here. It's progression is gated behind achieving mutually exclusive goals in missions, though, like speed runs vs. never being seen.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Det_no posted:

It shows up as DLC for SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics.

aw rad, thanks! I never would've thought to look there

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

StrixNebulosa posted:

Varies. Each level has 4 difficulties you slowly unlock. To pass a level, you only need to achieve one objective. You can respec completely (and freely) and then come back to try another objective later.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

JYDGE offers a lot of ridiculous combinations.

Favourites:
-Invulnerability while reloading. Therefore take the slowest reloading weapon and just plow through the level clubbing everyone to death.
-The ability to make turrets powered by the blood of the dead
-Super-Hot mode.
-finishing a survival mission by being really tiny and cramming myself under junk.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 17, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I picked up The Following in the sale, years after playing Dying Light for the last time.
Are the zombies in The Following much tougher, or have I just completely forgotten how to fight?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

I picked up The Following in the sale, years after playing Dying Light for the last time.
Are the zombies in The Following much tougher, or have I just completely forgotten how to fight?

They patched zombies to be way tougher at some point so it might not be just the following.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Is Europa Universalis 4 good on its own? $10 for the base game is tempting but my interest will probably drop a lot if it needs the expansions to be worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Det_no posted:

They patched zombies to be way tougher at some point so it might not be just the following.

Should I be expecting to one-shot basic walkers with a knife?