Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Looks like System Mastery will be running two games during GenCon this year, in case you're a listener who wants to hang. We'll be doing a Blimpleggers game using the Strike! engine with pre-gen characters, and a Gamma Crawl X game, Return to the Truckusseum, with random character creation on site, still using Gamma World 7e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Wait, you guys were serious about Havali. Why did it close?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

Anyone have any tips of convincing the fiancee into getting a Gencon wedding? I mean I'll already be there, everyone I want to invite will already be there, and who doesn't want an obese man dressed as slave Leia in all the wedding pictures?

Just don't.

theironjef posted:

Looks like System Mastery will be running two games during GenCon this year, in case you're a listener who wants to hang. We'll be doing a Blimpleggers game using the Strike! engine with pre-gen characters, and a Gamma Crawl X game, Return to the Truckusseum, with random character creation on site, still using Gamma World 7e.

:getin:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Slandible posted:

It was too good for Indy. The food wasn't bland enough, apparently.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

But I could go to Gencon and get married two birds one stone. It's a win for everyone! And I could invite all the Gencon goons!

I wouldn't actually do this

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oh, we don't need an invite. We'll just show up anyway.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Len posted:

Anyone have any tips of convincing the fiancee into getting a Gencon wedding? I mean I'll already be there, everyone I want to invite will already be there, and who doesn't want an obese man dressed as slave Leia in all the wedding pictures?

I'm changing the location for shot Wednesday

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Slandible posted:

It probably had something to do with never being full around mealtimes even during the peak of gencon. I think it was just too far/too secluded/not well advertised

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Haystack posted:

There's India Garden, which is maybe twice as far as Haveli's was. And a placed called Spice Box in the City Market.

Spice Box is fantastic.
It used to be better when they still had their food truck and I didn't have to go to the city market but it's still good food.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

theironjef posted:

Hot drat! Glad I'm attending this year.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Len posted:

Sorry, pretty sure Pence banned gay marriage in Indiana.

kidding, congrats on your upcoming nuptials, regardless of your or your partner's genders :) but please don't get married at GenCon

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Len posted:

If you're legit curious @Yes_I_Like_Pie ‏ (on twitter) has a youtube video up of her wedding (or maybe it was vows renewal) at Gen Con from this (I think) this past year with Derek Gudar.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Dr. Quarex posted:

Philthy no

Philthy why would you do that to yourself

O.K. granted if you just go to Gen Con to play board games and/or wargames then I totally get it, they are functionally interchangeable for certain types of people (other than Gen Con being way more difficult to get good accommodations for, naturally).

But otherwise... GROUP HUG

The first year my buddy got me into D&D Adventure League and it got me hooked, we played a few intro games to ShadowRun and Malifaux Card Based RPG and a few other things. Last year we did mostly D&D AL straight through, but I *really* wanted to check out Starfinder, but that fiasco soured me so much it almost ruined the entire con for me. Why show up with a game that everyone knew had a huge demand for with only a few thousand copies, then only have 7 tables total running intro games, while you had hundreds of empty tables with PFS DMs just sitting there with no one. Just thinking about it still ticks me off.

Anyways, WotC has thrown their full support behind Origins now, and all the more wargamey tabletop stuff that I prefer is there as well. Ie. You wont find Panzer Grenadier games at Gencon and such.

This year we've decided to not focus on RPGs and will be more casual impromtu boardgames and learning new games sessions so maybe we will have a blast and just decide to keep going. But holy poo poo the popularity for cons has exploded over the past few years and even the smaller cons are getting quite big. There is just too many to go to, and Gencon is a huge fund. I think I'll have been to almost 4 cons by the end of March already. It's insane.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Fellis posted:

It probably had something to do with never being full around mealtimes even during the peak of gencon. I think it was just too far/too secluded/not well advertised

I was going to say "3 blocks is far?", but forgot the type of people that go to Gencon. I agree their advertising was bad, but the game theme everywhere is tyring and I enjoyed the normal-ness of the place. Guess I need to explore new food spots this year.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Deviant posted:

Do they have pepper? Because

OH MY GOD

THE PEOPLE OF INDIANA

HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A SPICE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za_KilRD-do

themidwest.mp4

I know its an herb shutup

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Slandible posted:

I am now more upset about the tapas place closing, particularly since I probably recommended it in my original post too and now I have to sadly strike through ANOTHER amazing place

Oh apparently I did not recommend BARcelona this year for whatever reason. Maybe I somehow knew it closed.

Philthy posted:

Anyways, WotC has thrown their full support behind Origins now, and all the more wargamey tabletop stuff that I prefer is there as well. Ie. You wont find Panzer Grenadier games at Gencon and such.

This year we've decided to not focus on RPGs and will be more casual impromtu boardgames and learning new games sessions so maybe we will have a blast and just decide to keep going. But holy poo poo the popularity for cons has exploded over the past few years and even the smaller cons are getting quite big. There is just too many to go to, and Gencon is a huge fund. I think I'll have been to almost 4 cons by the end of March already. It's insane.
I suppose I had not thought about how Wizards of the Coast has abandoned Gen-Con entirely, that is definitely relevant for D&D people (the D&D swag bags from Origins were highlights of 2016 and 2017 visits, certainly).

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Dr. Quarex posted:

Wizards of the Coast has abandoned Gen-Con entirely

What's all this then? I hadn't heard that. Granted, the only "WotC" stuff I do at Gen Con is one AD&D 1e (or 2e) game a year, so it won't affect me like at all, but I do like hearing about scuttlebutt.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Don't they still run Magic events at Gencon?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
There's a ton of D&D at gencon, they just don't have official WOTC presence anymore. That side of the company really went down to minimal employees starting with the 5e era. Instead the gencon presence is run by Baldman Games. They are over at the JW this year, after a couple of increasingly-loud years in the main hall.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, Baldman Games is pretty much running the show for D&D Gencon, which is perfectly fine. They have some great DMs and the events are fun. But you won't see many old TSR and current WotC D&D celebs around. They all show up at Origins mostly and make the big announcements and release all the cool poo poo there usually.

Thankfully they've been putting more effort into GaryCon which is by far my favorite con and it's just so chill and relaxed there. Between games you can be lounging around on a nice comfy couch and someone like Luke Gygax and Frank Mentzer will just sit down next to you. They're just walking around playing and gaming like anyone else.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Philthy posted:

Thankfully they've been putting more effort into GaryCon which is by far my favorite con and it's just so chill and relaxed there.

Gary Con is also my favorite con! (sorry not sorry Gen Con) Are you heading there this March? I'm quite looking forward to it myself, especially since it sort of kicks off the con season for me. I am hitting a con in New Jersey next week but it pales in comparison to Gary Con, Gen Con, etc.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yep, I'll be living in the new Adventure League area since we've out grown the basement.

Last year I spent about 6 hours listening to the Gygax family, and other older TSR people reminisce about the good ole days. Also one session with the newer guys and their plans to keep 5e from becoming the mess of books trap that Pathfinder has fallen into. If you haven't done any of those sessions, they're worth listening to.

The waiters coming to the tables offering food and beverages is just such an insanely awesome thing to have for long gaming sessions. Love having nachos and burgers and beer while playing.

Just got back from Winter Fantasy last week. Paid for the "D&D Experience" where you keep the same "5 star DM" for four sessions, have your own special Fai Chen, and "snacks". It was alright, but the DM was no different than the other normal DMs, because the people running games usually know their poo poo and it's hard to get a really bad one these days. Having the same party was cool, but we were suboptimal, and we made it work eventually, but it would have been better if our table had more than four players. The Fai Chen was a typical Fai Chen shitshow of waiting in line for an hour and finding nothing new available to trade. The "snacks" were bananas and bottles of water.

It's not really worth it in the end. The Con itself was fun, and we enjoyed ourselves, but it wasn't much different than any other smaller con we routinely have in Wisconsin.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 16, 2018

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Gen Con posted that they're expecting another sell out this year, and that they're actually selling badges at a faster rate then last year.

As much as I enjoy going, I think Gen Con is going to be an "every other year" thing for me. It's just too expensive to go every year.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Are they planning to keep raising the price? I missed the last two years but in 2015 it was only $70

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Badge price is the expense I am worried about least.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

nesbit37 posted:

Badge price is the expense I am worried about least.

Badge $120
Room $1500
Flight $350
Events $300
Meals $400
Lewd Cosplay Photobooks $500

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Toshimo posted:

Lewd Cosplay Photobooks LCG $500

Fixed that for you.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

The nice thing is that I can drive in, and I'm splitting hotel with a bunch of other people. Still an expensive weekend though. I think I'd almost rather go to a bunch of smaller local and regional cons with the same friends. I like the spectacle of Gen Con, but I don't know if it's worth going every year.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Badge $120
Room $1500
Flight $350
Events $300
Meals $400
Lewd Cosplay Photobooks $500
deoderant $0

someone who is good at the economy help me my con goers are suffocating

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Badge $120
Room $250 (split it among others)
Gas Money $100 (CarCrew4Lyfe)
Events $50 (always be playing games with goons)
Meals $200
Booze $150
Latest FFG Release and Impulse buys $500

Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Carteret posted:

Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

I lumped Booze in with meals since sometimes I replace food with more booze.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

someone who is good at the economy help me my con goers are suffocating

Spend less on lewd cosplay photobooks idiot

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fellis posted:

No

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Fellis posted:

mudcrab gon break your legs if you keep talking like that

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

We have to support our favorite goon smut peddler

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Badge $0
Room $0
Flight
Events $0
Some 1980s MS-DOS Game At The Auction $2
Meals $4,000

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Deviant posted:

mudcrab gon break your legs if you keep talking like that

I don’t actually mean it, just finishing the @dril reference that was setup :mad:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Fellis posted:

I don’t actually mean it, just finishing the @dril reference that was setup :mad:

Disappointed priest is disappointed in you.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Anyone have that image of "GENCON T-SHIRTS XXXL AND LARGER SOLD OUT" above a booth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I Googled a couple of times until I got a link back to a picture I posted in the 2014 thread and thought "OOOH MAYBE IT IS THERE" and so it is.

Thanks, RocknRollaAyatollah, for posting it in 2014, so I do not need to post one of the loving copies with FAIL LOL MEANWHILE IN AMERICA scrawled on it