Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

funmanguy posted:

10 bucks says he lost a bunch of money in the bitcoin crash.

When you think about it, really, cryptocurrencies are the disaster this industry/world deserves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BigDave posted:

My work replaced our free coffee maker with a Keurig machine, but you have to bring your own pods.

Surprisingly, no one uses it.

Like handing out inkjet printers as prizes with no loving ink in them

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The company I interviewed with but had trouble with my requested salary called to say that they’re still trying to work it out but need a little more time to see if they can make it work.

Figured they were going to ghost me but the recruiter (who tried talking me down in salary) actually called them to say they should keep me in the loop.

Sticking to my guns seems to be really paying off and has the recruiter working for me now. I made it pretty clear that I have a pretty nice (and well paying) job and that I’m not in a rush to accept the first offer someone is throwing at me. I’m only taking a new job if it matches (most of) my requirements and I’m certainly not taking a paycut for it.

Thanks for the advice thread!

And then another recruiter called with a similar job but a 10 minute commute instead of a 60 minute one. :drat:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kashuno posted:

Next update: Asked end user to provide access files that he has on his local PC. User told me I could not have access to them in fear that I would break them.

Lol.

He does realize that you can just copy the files, right?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I think a lot of people have problems with recruiters because they don't draw lines in the sand and stick up for themselves.

I've told plenty of recruiters why I won't take a certain job, or why I deserve more pay, or that the client is being absurd through the interview. They keep calling back with better opportunities and most are a joy to work with now.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

GreenNight posted:

Everyone here just has a coffee pot on their desk instead.

This is what I do, since the coffee in the cafeteria is awful. It tastes like they haven't given the carafe's a proper cleaning in quite some time. The only downside is my boss smells the coffee, knows that I'm here and stops by to chat.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I did not know such a thing was possible.

Shakeys

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

funmanguy posted:

It takes me 15 minutes to get to work if I walk, 2 minute drive. I put gas in my car at the end of January, and I have a half tank still. Its a much bigger deal than I would have ever thought before having this small of a commute.
You should really go out for a longer drive every now and then. It's not good for a car to never get fully warmed up.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I have a press, does that count?
I half A press. And I count them.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Ya know whats good... you can get cold brew coffee at trader joes or even my supermarket has their own boxed version. I just stick that in the fridge at work. You can mix the concentrate with hot water or put it over ice.

Also it takes me 1.5 hours to get to work. If this wasn't such a good place to work I wouldn't have put up with it. I am looking for a new place to live. Gotta hire a real estate agent.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Looks like the security team at work is now using one of those long "any authorized review of this email is prohibited" notices in their signatures. It doesn't inspire a lot of confidence when your security team doesn't realize that if you send the wrong person an email, they're kinda free to do whatever they want with it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Looks like the security team at work is now using one of those long "any authorized review of this email is prohibited" notices in their signatures. It doesn't inspire a lot of confidence when your security team doesn't realize that if you send the wrong person an email, they're kinda free to do whatever they want with it.

Does it actually say "prohibited" or just "this is confidential, please delete it if you're not the intended recipient"?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It seems to be common with big companies.

I don't know if it holds up in court, but if it keeps someone from spreading an internal email, then it didn't really cost anything.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Having worked for law firms quite a bit in my career, that's something I see every day. From what I understand it's a legal gray area. It can and does have weight, but it's not bulletproof and if you include it in every single email it lessens the strength of your argument because you are claiming that non-confidential things are confidential.

It's similar to having to post "non-authorized used if this system..." type trespassing warnings. Not even remotely technically useful, but it generally helps the lawyers if it gets to that point.

I've kind of stopped fighting it. It's not a technical problem and if legal wants to be dumb then they can be dumb.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My understanding of the legal situation on those stupid things is that the only cases they actually mean anything are where there is already some legal reason that the recipient was unable to share the message. If there's an NDA for example and a covered message has a note reminding the recipient that they can't share it, and they do anyways, they have basically no way to claim ignorance.

If I receive some random confidential email entirely by accident from someone I have no pre-existing legal relationship with any disclaimers attached are pretty much meaningless.

IANAL of course.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

wolrah posted:

If I receive some random confidential email entirely by accident from someone I have no pre-existing legal relationship with any disclaimers attached are pretty much meaningless.
Yes, that is correct. You can't enforce a contract after the fact. That's why those notices are ridiculous.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
After accidentally clearing a few of the tables on the SQL server, The server is now fully replaced and I have started taking the users Access files remotely in order to put them on a VM at least. I hope this been a good tale

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

By reading this email you agree that you are NOT a cop

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I know this is my third post on this subject that people don't really care about, but this is actually one of my favorite things on the internet. I absolutely god drat adore when I see a website which says "by clicking agree you confirm that you are not a member of any law enforcement agency blah blah blah". I am the personification of :allears: to that person if they think that is a thing you can actually do.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Hungry Computer posted:

The college I work at leases all food services to some lovely company, who then rents space to chains like Tim Hortons. The contract with this company states that the college can't give employees free anything that can be bought at one of those chains. If my manager wanted to give us coffee he'd have to buy us timmies gift cards. We're not even allowed to use external caterers unless the event is booked by a non-employee. That wouldn't be so bad if the pizza they make wasn't lower quality than loving Dominoes.

Yeah, you need to find the person who negotiated that contract and kick them in the nuts daily.
That kind of monopoly poo poo always gets you garbage food, because why would they bother to make it better? You gotta buy it.

Kashuno posted:

Hi I'd like to continue to update people on my fun deepdive into the hell that is bizarre weirdo SQL database. The guy who uses it has a bunch of Access stuff that he runs on his local machine, complete with jobs that run through access to impact the sql server, and then uploads the access database to a network drive every single day. the jobs on the SQL server are lost but don't really matter anyway because he runs them himself on his pc.

Feh. You're lucky. The guy who runs the Access stuff is still there. Usually what happens is that some rear end in a top hat writes an Access database, or a ridiculous Excel VB macro, or something, then leaves, and they come to IT asking why it doesn't work any more.

Kashuno posted:

Next update: Asked end user to provide access files that he has on his local PC. User told me I could not have access to them in fear that I would break them.

Lol.

Smart (?) enough to build and Access database, too dumb to understand that you can copy files without changing them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I know this is my third post on this subject that people don't really care about, but this is actually one of my favorite things on the internet. I absolutely god drat adore when I see a website which says "by clicking agree you confirm that you are not a member of any law enforcement agency blah blah blah". I am the personification of :allears: to that person if they think that is a thing you can actually do.

Dude. You totally have to tell me you’re a cop if ask. It’s not fair if you don’t fess up when asked. It’s like entrapment or something I’m pretty sure.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
The best part is most of those companies that attach messages saying "this is for the intended recipient ONLY" also have user-access policies stating their email isn't private and belongs to the company, not the individual.

How they reconcile that with mental gymnastics, I'm not sure.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The best part is most of those companies that attach messages saying "this is for the intended recipient ONLY" also have user-access policies stating their email isn't private and belongs to the company, not the individual.

You're assuming that there's mental *anything* involved.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Are those really still a thing? I haven't seen that since '90s ROM sites, where it usually followed immediately after a bit of text about how you had to delete these files within 24 hours to be legal because of some law Bill Clinton signed.

I don't know which click-through disclaimers I ignored more as a kid, those or the ones saying "You must be 18 to enter"....

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

That’s... not even close to a gotcha. The employee is conducting business for the company, they are sending the email to the recipient as a representative of the company. Why would the company being able to access email sent on their behalf be some violation of communication confidentiality between their agent and the recipient?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Because if the email is for the intended recipient only, how could it also be subject to review?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Check out these sweet job opportunities

https://www.sphere.ms/#opportunities

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Love and Obey Sphere®

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I'm currently an IC that will become a manager of remote and probably offshore contract workers doing random things for us in IT. And then later on hopefully a manager of regular on premise FTEs. Is there a good resource (training program, doesn't matter how expensive/where its located in the USA, book/s etc) that can help me prepare for this? I know I need to find a mentor as well but the best manager I've ever worked for is my current manager so I don't think that works.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Ranter posted:

I'm currently an IC that will become a manager of remote and probably offshore contract workers doing random things for us in IT. And then later on hopefully a manager of regular on premise FTEs. Is there a good resource (training program, doesn't matter how expensive/where its located in the USA, book/s etc) that can help me prepare for this? I know I need to find a mentor as well but the best manager I've ever worked for is my current manager so I don't think that works.

I hear good things about https://www.amazon.com/Managers-Path-Leaders-Navigating-Growth/dp/1491973897

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Because if the email is for the intended recipient only, how could it also be subject to review?

Oh no, but then how could it be written?! The writer saw it before the recipient!

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

jaegerx posted:

Check out these sweet job opportunities

https://www.sphere.ms/#opportunities

The CTO gets 6 whole developers underneath him!!!! Was this the title inflation thread talk or am I leaking from another?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Virigoth posted:

The CTO gets 6 whole developers underneath him!!!! Was this the title inflation thread talk or am I leaking from another?

Did you miss the compensation?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Here’s their email to me.

```
We are an early startup in the automation space with 7 people on our team and our sights are set high. Our goal is to become the next big name in tech, and to that end, we look for people who will embody our mission to simplify people’s lives through automation. Our selection process is uniformly stringent and includes a culture fit evaluation, work assessment, and interview.

Technology has strengthened our connectivity but weakened our proximity to others. A friend is not a blip from a screen; a friend is someone you share experiences with and get to know personally. Part of our solution is social event automation: we automatically schedule events between our users and their friends based on mutual interests and available times.

If you are chosen for the role, you will be expected to work at least 40 hours/week. As specified in the description, the starting compensation for this role is in shares, between 2.5 and 5% ownership based on experience. Please also note that we are currently unable to provide any type of visa sponsorship.

Given the breadth of our ambition and the enormity of the challenge, we only consider those who will be a natural fit in our culture of high performance. Before you advance to the next stage, we need to know whether you are willing to make our mission your life’s work. Please read our company culture at https://www.sphere.ms/culture and tell us why you believe you would be a good fit.
```

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

jaegerx posted:

Did you miss the compensation?

Holy poo poo. I closed it before I got that far but that was a buried lede.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

future failed startup posted:

WHAT IS SPHERE?
Sphere simplifies your life through automation.

Our flagship feature is event automation. We automatically schedule events between you and your friends based on mutual interests and available times. Our goal is to remove any hassles from your life that technology can solve.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

So...an app that schedules playdates for you?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
"We automatically schedule events between you and your friends based on mutual interests and available times."

Let me just enter a) all of my hobbies and interests and b) my constantly evolving schedule into this untested new application which definitely won't be selling my information to anyone to generate enough cash to stay afloat.

"You guys want to do dinner on Thursday?" is not a server deployment which needs to be automated. There is zero market for this.

e: Also, I love that "poo poo, I forgot to tell Sphere I was knocking out some grocery shopping and other errands tonight, and now I've apparently stood up my friends at the hockey game" is now a thing.

vvv Yeah actually I was just thumbing through that in a waiting room the other day. I've read maybe 10 total pages throughout 4 or 5 chapters, and it looked like essential reading.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Bought. Thanks.