Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

silence_kit posted:

How are they making the solar cells absorb IR but allow visible light to pass through?
they can make hot mirror/cold mirror coatings, why would this be impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

JawnV6 posted:

they can make hot mirror/cold mirror coatings, why would this be impossible

Usually when a material absorbs IR, it absorbs visible light too.

Now that you mention it, there might be a way to engineer reflectors on both sides of the cell to force IR light to make multiple round trip passes in the cell until it is absorbed, and force visible light to only make 1 pass through the absorptive cell. Then the cell could absorb IR much more strongly than visible light.

edit: I just googled hot mirror coating—I’ve never heard of that before—an important distinction between a hot mirror coating and Shifty Pony’s solar cell is that the hot coating reflects the IR and does not absorb it. Shifty Pony’s solar cell needs to absorb the IR light in order to convert it into electricity.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 16, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

silence_kit posted:

Usually when a material absorbs IR, it absorbs visible light too.

Now that you mention it, there might be a way to engineer reflectors on both sides of the cell to force IR light to make multiple round trip passes in the cell until it is absorbed, and force visible light to only make 1 pass through the absorptive cell. Then the cell could absorb IR much more strongly than visible light.

you can get stuff that is>99.99% reflective or opaque across different bands so that shouldn’t be a problem

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

prisoner of waffles posted:

I guess the people who just loving love power know more about how it works, how to build it, how to use it

where’s the “I loving Love Power!” Facebook page?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the mode of separation is operating a heavy-water fission reactor

so sure you could do that but then you no longer need the tokamak/stellarator :)

I thought they used a centrifuge to get the tritiated water out of the regular water and anyway I was wondering why you would store it as tritium gas instead of heavy water

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i read that as "titrated water" and wondered why we were generating power homeopathically

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

eschaton posted:

where’s the “I loving Love Power!” Facebook page?

https://www.facebook.com/zuck

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/964612218825334785

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
another problem with these idealized autonomous car caravans is how they'll be hosed up as soon as some jerk human driver realizes they can weave in between as recklessly as they want and force the robot cars to do all the work of not crashing. tho i guess you could program the robot cars to record and snitch on you

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

another problem with these idealized autonomous car caravans is how they'll be hosed up as soon as some jerk human driver realizes they can weave in between as recklessly as they want and force the robot cars to do all the work of not crashing. tho i guess you could program the robot cars to record and snitch on you

i was thinking if their solution is only the lead car is looking ahead, what happens when a car in the caravan blows a tire. lead car says everything's fine, maintain velocity?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Enderzero posted:

i was thinking if their solution is only the lead car is looking ahead, what happens when a car in the caravan blows a tire. lead car says everything's fine, maintain velocity?

each car is supposed to be communicating with just the car immediately in front of and behind them

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

hobbesmaster posted:

each car is supposed to be communicating with just the car immediately in front of and behind them

lol this will magically resolve traffic surging through a frantic waving of hands

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Munkeymon posted:

I thought they used a centrifuge to get the tritiated water out of the regular water and anyway I was wondering why you would store it as tritium gas instead of heavy water

heavy water contains deuterium, not tritium.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/964368777277157381

https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/964408867634397184

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
san francisco, realm of the landed tech-gentry.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol
https://twitter.com/Ana1Sima/status/964410921786331137

*gesturing wildly at chart* This. Explains. Everything!!!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

new york times does a column every like month that will be "houses that sold for around 450k" or "houses that sold for around 500k" like this
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/11/...type=collection

compare the apartments/condos/houses they're showing sold for those prices with what that money would get you in the bay area, and how much closer it is all is to where people work than what you'd get in the bay

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

damore's nlrb claim got rejected hard

“the statements regarding biological differences between the sexes were so harmful, discriminatory, and disruptive as to be unprotected.”

quote:

Damore’s memo, titled “Google’s Ideological Echo Chamber,” contended that Google’s diversity efforts were misplaced because they ignored women’s biologically driven disinterest in technology. It includes many claims, which have previously been dissected in detail online. But Sophir focuses specifically on Damore’s “statements about immutable traits linked to sex — such as women’s heightened neuroticism and men’s prevalence at the top of the IQ distribution.” These statements were “discriminatory and constituted sexual harassment, notwithstanding [Damore’s] effort to cloak [his] comments with ‘scientific’ references and analysis,” she writes. Moreover, she says Google “carefully tailored” its reasons for firing Damore, limiting them to unprotected portions of the memo.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
ITT: a Hackernews reinvents nuclear engineering from first principles

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

new york times does a column every like month that will be "houses that sold for around 450k" or "houses that sold for around 500k" like this
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/11/...type=collection

compare the apartments/condos/houses they're showing sold for those prices with what that money would get you in the bay area, and how much closer it is all is to where people work than what you'd get in the bay

those are so much nicer than anything you could get here for that price lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

damore's nlrb claim got rejected hard

“the statements regarding biological differences between the sexes were so harmful, discriminatory, and disruptive as to be unprotected.”

i hope this made the news hard enough for his long-suffering gf to finally dump him

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i hope this made the news hard enough for his long-suffering gf to finally dump him

why?

google is going to quietly give him his job back and he'll be on wingnut welfare the rest of his life, they're set

lol if you think she's still with him for any reason other than financial ones

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
We are in Mountain View, home to Google’s headquarters. Damore’s girlfriend has agreed to meet only after being assured that, like her, I disagree with her boyfriend’s views. She does not want to be identified or directly quoted: she is keen to remain in the shadows. Damore, meanwhile, has appeared to bask in the attention; in the months since he left Google, he has become a commentator on political issues that extend well beyond the tech industry, becoming one of the most polarising figures in Silicon Valley.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

We are in Mountain View, home to Google’s headquarters. Damore’s girlfriend has agreed to meet only after being assured that, like her, I disagree with her boyfriend’s views. She does not want to be identified or directly quoted: she is keen to remain in the shadows. Damore, meanwhile, has appeared to bask in the attention; in the months since he left Google, he has become a commentator on political issues that extend well beyond the tech industry, becoming one of the most polarising figures in Silicon Valley.

odd that the characters “ex” do not appear in front of girlfriend. typo?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't think he was working on anything particularly valuable so I see no upside to rehiring him but nice sexism

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
he very specifically wasn't working on anything valuable, after 5 years, which is why he was so loving salty to begin with

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
that is a very misogynist thing to say, Unquoteable One.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
they'll rehire him because they only fired him for pr reasons not because they think he did anything wrong, if anything they'll rehire him as a consultant on how to better conceal their white supremacy

it's also pretty tremendously sexist to suggest his girlfriend is staying with him because she's somehow fooled or otherwise coerced by him, give her some credit, she's probably smart enough to know a gravy train when she sees one

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
thread’s moving closer and closer to silicon valley fan fiction.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
hahaha yeah women are whores amirite :xd:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol if you think google isn't already stacked to the rafters with untalented ivy league white dudes and they need help from the one dumb enough to codify his sexism and racism into writing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
johnny cabs are go in phoenix

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
remember, engaging with a stymie is haraam

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sapozhnik posted:

hahaha yeah women are whores amirite :xd:

i dunno, maybe i just don't see anything wrong with her profiting from his wingnut windfall and then punching out when she's had enough

i guess she's just a poor innocent naif who needs the wisdom of us nice guysprogressives for her to see the light, fool that she is

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Maybe he's just a beast in the sack, don't presume to know her motivations.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
one thing's for sure, she needs a man to sit her down and tell her the folly of her ways since she very clearly doesn't understand and can't be trusted to make her own decisions

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
relationships and the dynamics thereof are a deeply personal and varied subject and it would absolutely not be my place to speculate about a person's reasons for being romantically involved with another person, especially since they have given no indication that the relationship is in any way an abusive one.

of course our local tedious straw progressive troll immediately leaps to a cynical, dishonest, and financially-motivated explanation for a hitherto-unintroduced woman's actions, despite having no evidence to support this accusation whatsoever. obviously it is because he is that much woker than us and not because he is actually a knuckle-dragging woman-hating fuckwit once you peel back the flimsy mask

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it could be any number of reasons. know one here knows.

there’s the logical conclusion to this conversation. god bless.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
well we know one thing: it couldn't possibly be for money, because women who care about money are like unto prostitutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

don’t use my voice of reason as part of one of your twisted rhetorical plots, stymie.!