Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

Goddamn, it would loving rule if someone just released a recoded character builder for 4E that trimmed out all of the poo poo feats/bad classes.

While I am anti-bad feat and have been pro-"feat package," there's some disagreement around the edges about what constitutes bad.

I am the guy who has made a wizard that focuses magic missile (considered bad; wrongly I think) and wears a shield with hide armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah the Dragon of Tyr is a big, walking monster with a glowing "PLEASE STUN-LOCK ME" sign.

To be fair even MV solos often become pinatas with powers like Witchfire (Feylock L1 Encounter power) that inflict attack debuffs for a round. We have a house rule that solos can shrug any condition for the cost of an action point - and certain solos can do it for a cost in HP.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Having a bit of a brain fart, if I was building a character that used a staff for an implement, and a quarterstaff for a weapon, can they be the same item? If I get one as a magic item, can it function as both a +1 implement and a weapon?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Ash Rose posted:

Having a bit of a brain fart, if I was building a character that used a staff for an implement, and a quarterstaff for a weapon, can they be the same item? If I get one as a magic item, can it function as both a +1 implement and a weapon?

Staff = Quarterstaff, they're the same item.

quote:

Staff Implement
Category: Gear
Price: 5 gp
Weight: 4 lb
Description: Using a nonmagical implement confers no benefit. You can purchase a magical implement to gain an enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls with your arcane powers. A staff implement can also function as a magic quarterstaff.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Generic Octopus posted:

Staff = Quarterstaff, they're the same item.

So, to be clear, if I got a +1 magic quarterstaff, it gives +1 to hit and damage when used as an implement, and +1 to hit and damage when used as a weapon?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Ash Rose posted:

So, to be clear, if I got a +1 magic quarterstaff, it gives +1 to hit and damage when used as an implement, and +1 to hit and damage when used as a weapon?

Yes, as long as you're proficient with it as both a weapon and an implement.

e: thinking about it, you might only need to be proficient to get the item's powers/properties. The bonuses you might get regardless.

e2: yea, proficiency is irrelevant except for gaining Implement properties for Implement powers. Regardless, you should have no issues with a staff.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 17, 2018

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Generic Octopus posted:

Yes, as long as you're proficient with it as both a weapon and an implement.

e: thinking about it, you might only need to be proficient to get the item's powers/properties. The bonuses you might get regardless.

e2: yea, proficiency is irrelevant except for gaining Implement properties for Implement powers. Regardless, you should have no issues with a staff.

Rad, thanks very much, I was 90% that was how it worked but I kept second guessing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Goddamn, it would loving rule if someone just released a recoded character builder for 4E that trimmed out all of the poo poo feats/bad classes.
With the offline builder you can uncheck everything you don't want in the campaign settings tab and export those settings to a file. Or if you're really hardcore about it and a little handy with XML, you can delete the respective blocks from your custom files.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
One thing to note about the staff implement/quarterstaff interaction: if you wield the staff as a one-handed implement, you cannot use it as a quarterstaff weapon, because while the staff implement only requires one hand, as a weapon the quarterstaff is two-handed. This is different from (as far as I know) any other weapon/implement (often called "weapliment") combination.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

We're finishing up a beholder hunt this weekend and as a bonus because two regular group members had to cancel, our DM is giving us all familiars. But not regular 4E familiars, instead they're custom companions that give us additional powers. We can trigger a familiar as a minor action 1/turn, and it will use one random spell from its list "to the best of its ability."

If you haven't figured it out by now, our DM doesn't usually run 4E and is much less concerned with game balance than with making poo poo up so it kinda fits into the framework of whatever system we're in.

quote:

Attack familiar: attack bonus +12, Range 10, roll 1d6
1. Magic Missile 2d4+6
2. Acid Orb 1d8+6
3. Fire Arrow ongoing 5 (save ends)
4. Ray of Frost 1d8, slowed (start of Familiar's next turn)
5. Mocking Word 1d8, -2 to attacks (start of Familiar's next turn)
6. Enervate 1d6, weakened (start of Familiar's next turn)

Support familiar: Range 10, roll 1d10, reroll if already used
1. Mage Armor (+2 AC, encounter)
2. Shield (gain interrupt, +4 AC/REF, once this encounter)
3. Resistance (+2 FORT/REF/WILL, encounter)
4. Stoneskin (+8THP)
5. Truesight (ignore any "concealment"/"incorporeal" for the day), encounter power
6. Haste (gain 1 extra standard action once this encounter), encounter power
7. Speed (movement +2 squares, encounter)
8. Dimension Door (2 Teleport-gates in 6, end of next turn), encounter power
9. Darkness (whole battlefield gains concealment, encounter), encounter power
10. Fog of War (burst 1, total concealment, sustain minor)
We're level 10 by the way. These familiars have 30 HP, share our defenses, and "usually" also our square.

I feel like the support one is strictly better. For one thing, there's Haste. For another, if we use these on the regular, we stand a very good chance of all ending up with Truesight and a decent one of triggering Darkness during the final battle for a guaranteed encounter-length -2 to enemy attacks only. Hell, if we really want to be dicks about it, we start the adventure by saying we trigger familiar abilities until we hit Truesight (which takes a minute at most), then take a short rest. Actually I should probably point that out to him and the support option will still be pretty good if he edits it.

But yeah - which one would you pick, under the given circumstances?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Haste for sure. Action economy is everything, and getting an Action Point every encounter (that you can use the familiar) is huge.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Got an update:

quote:

Casting spells is taxing on the familiars, and they'll only do it in an emergency, i.e. in combat - if you tried forcing Truesight by pretending you're in danger, you'd break their trust and their bond to you, and they'd turn hostile.
Dude may not care to bake his game balance into the mechanics, but drat if he can't be relied on to provide something flavourful instead.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
That support familiar is bonkers, I'd take it in a heartbeat. I'm in an epic game and I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Asking them nicely is an at-will minor, but their spells are encounters, right? Do they just reroll if they roll the same effect again?

e: Truesight lasts all day but is tagged as an encounter power?

(I'm with the thread, support is insanely better.)

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I would be uncomfortable if someone gave me that support familiar. There are level 30 capstones that aren't as good as the support familiar. If someone in your party is really not good tactically, maybe give them the support familiar, but only if that person is REALLY bad. Or is 7 years old.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 19, 2018

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
There's no reason not to take the Support one, it's hilariously strong and the Attack type is kinda bad.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Hang on, am I reading it right that if you roll Haste you get a banked standard action that you can take at any time on your turn before the encounter ends?

So, basically a free action point? That you can use in addition to an action point?

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

The attack one is like an extra 5-11ish damage per round, assuming you never have a use for your minor actions ever.

The support one gives you probably the entire list of the support category one per day over the course of the day. As everyone said already, the support one is insanely busted.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Both of those are borked to gently caress and back.

THe attack one because it doesn't scale at all, the support one because it does what it does.

Not to mention that Familiars don't get turns, that various of the effects have no end conditions (unless (encounter) is supposed to mean until the end of the encounter).

Holy shitballs, if this guy hasn't run 4e before does he need to take a moment to run it as written and not try to make poo poo up.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

That support familiar is loving madness.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
It also has the problem of sucking back minor actions, and depending on what class you're playing those could be pretty important. Your strikers with minor action features are probably going to be a bit miffed for example.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if you can't demand the actions at-will, it's probably not as strong as it would seem, but the Support one is still the stronger option by far.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Starting now to get a bit concerned that these familiars might actually overshadow our own abilities and make the whole thing cheap. Although I guess if I'm really concerned about that I can just take the attack familiar or cite some roleplay reason to take none at all.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The 'advantage' of the attack familiar is that damage is always good and that the support familiar might roll a buff that you honestly don't care about, but the damage on the attack familiar is anemic. I'd take the support familiar too.

e: for a more mechanical perspective, the attack familiar gets a random At-Will while the support familiar gets stuff that is Daily strength with encounter long duration or doesn't even exist as a Daily (that free standard action). Maybe talk to your DM about that.

isndl fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Feb 20, 2018

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Honestly, since I'm guessing that it's a campaign meant to ease people into tabletop, just have a gmpc instead.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Ok, so in trying to make a weird fighter build, I think I messed up the math on the character builder a bit.

I took the Master of the Fist monk multiclass feat that lets you nab the monk unarmed strike, which is a +3 proficiency d8 attack(also lets you use ki foci), and paired it with brawler style which grants a +2 enhancement bonus.

I grabbed a +3 ki focus as a level 11 character, and the builder seems to think I have a +4 enhancement bonus. From where I am, I would think it should be +3 since the enhancement bonus from brawler style and the ki focus should not stack since they are the same bonus, but even if they stacked it should be +5 so I am kinda lost there. The final to-hit bonus it has is +19, and by my reckoning it should be +18 (+5 STR, +5 1/2 level, +3 prof, +2 feat(expertise), +3 enhance)

Meanwhile, in the AC department, I have +3 wyvernscale armor, a fighting heavy shield, and again the brawler style. The armor gives +12 including enhancement, +15 for 10 and 1/2 level, +2 for the shield, and where it gets weird is brawler style which...

quote:

A fighter who selects the Brawler Style class feature instead of Fighter Weapon Talent, while wielding a weapon in the primary hand and having the off hand free or grabbing a creature, gains a +1 bonus to AC and a +2 bonus to Fortitude.
...Should grant me a +1 AC, since the bonus is untyped and the shield is considered a weapon because it is a magic fighting shield, but the builder does not seem to want to count it that way.

Finally, there is the weirdness of the Fort save, which does not seem to want stack brawler style and the stout shield feat, with and without a heavy shield, it shows the same number for the fort save, but bizarrely, without the shield it shows 2 misc bonuses of 1 and 2 respectively, but with the shield it shows 2 misc bonuses of 5, and -2, and I have no loving clue where it would be getting any kind of minus.

Am I missing something or are these just weird edge cases the builder does not account for?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The offline builder does not play well with the Brawler features, I think due to the weirdness of having a weapon (unarmed attack) that also counts as a free hand, in both hands. I've never been able to sort out the issue, but I use a custom DM-created race as well which I've never been able to make CBLoader recognize either, so I just use the program to pick feats, powers, etc and make my own character sheet. Sucks, but there it is.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Ok, so turns out I am dumb, The attack math is correct because the Brawler Style bonus increases to +4 at paragon, the AC and Fort ones are still kinda weird though.

edit: also it messed up the math for hitting with the fighting shield, not adding the ki focus to it at all, is it some silly nonsense like the shied not counting as a weapon I am proficient with?

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 25, 2018

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Ash Rose posted:

Ok, so turns out I am dumb, The attack math is correct because the Brawler Style bonus increases to +4 at paragon, the AC and Fort ones are still kinda weird though.

edit: also it messed up the math for hitting with the fighting shield, not adding the ki focus to it at all, is it some silly nonsense like the shied not counting as a weapon I am proficient with?

I don't know the specifics of your build, but weapon proficiency and armor proficiency for shields are different things.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

TheDemon posted:

I don't know the specifics of your build, but weapon proficiency and armor proficiency for shields are different things.

I mean, the text from dragon #385 pretty clearly states it is a military weapon.

Dragon #385 posted:

This shield is considered a military weapon and
can be used as a one-handed melee weapon with +3
proficiency, 1d6 damage, heavy blade, off-hand. It grants
a +1 enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls
when used as a melee weapon, and it deals 1d6 extra
damage on a critical hit.

Though the text in character builder is a little different

character builder text for fighting shield posted:

This shield can be used as a one-handed melee weapon with +3 proficiency, 1d6 damage, heavy blade, offhand. It grants a +1 enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls when used as a melee weapon nad it deals 1d6 extra damage on a critical hit.

Not sure why that one does not have the text referring to it being a military weapon, but either way it is pretty clearly a weapon and it you are clearly meant to be proficient with it since it has a proficiency bonus

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Is the shield in the right hand in the builder? Might not work if it's just assigned to the off-hand slot.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Is the shield in the right hand in the builder? Might not work if it's just assigned to the off-hand slot.

It is in the main hand.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Is there an official rule on stacking attack reroll effects? I've always assumed that you could string together rerolls with discrete powers (such as the various Stones of X, Life's Losing Hand, that kind of thing) so long as the powers can validly be invoked. I'm thinking about the interaction between Oath of Emnity and Perfect Front (Warlord daily 29). Both grant rerolls "for free", in that it's part of whatever attack power you're already using. Has there ever been any errata on whether they were intended to stack?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

kaynorr posted:

Is there an official rule on stacking attack reroll effects? I've always assumed that you could string together rerolls with discrete powers (such as the various Stones of X, Life's Losing Hand, that kind of thing) so long as the powers can validly be invoked. I'm thinking about the interaction between Oath of Emnity and Perfect Front (Warlord daily 29). Both grant rerolls "for free", in that it's part of whatever attack power you're already using. Has there ever been any errata on whether they were intended to stack?

Oath of Emnity has specific wording that prevents this:

quote:

"If another effect lets you roll twice and use the higher result when making an attack roll, this power has no effect on that attack. If an effect forces you to roll twice and use the lower result when making an attack roll, this power has no effect on that attack either.
"If an effect lets you reroll an attack roll and you rolled twice because of this power, you reroll both dice."

So basically:
- no "roll twice" stacking
- full reroll stacking
- results substitution not disallowed

Other powers may not have these specific exceptions (I don't have their wording in front of me), so for example, the interaction between Tenacious Weapon and Perfect Front may be basically up to the GM. To my knowledge there is no errata on any of these powers.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Trying to look for fun feats to give my duelist rogue, went for daggers instead of a rapier even though it has some fun feats. What would be some interesting ones to grab? Currently at level 5 with cunning stalker and backstabber.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Light BLade Expertise should be your first choice.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Second light blade expertise. Gotta hit to do stuff.

If you have a leader granting basic attacks, melee training will help the leader beat the snot out of enemies with you. It'll also mean that if an enemy is fighting you 1 on 1 and moves, opportunity sneak attack.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Wait you can do SA on OA's? (Also already have melee training and vers expertise due to the houserule package)

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 27, 2018

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
If you've got combat advantage (like from cunning stalker) then hell yeah you can. Unless you're hybrid. I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Non-hybrid rogues can do sneak attacks once per turn on any attack that deals damage with an appropriate weapon.