Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Anyone else remember like Spring of 99 when WCW had a decent resurgence of their tag team division via Raven/Saturn, Benoit/Malenko, and Mysterio/Kidman? Raven and Saturn were over as gently caress, despite not getting an obvious face push, and Saturn would come out in a black dress type thing wearing green contacts. The program only lasted a few months but it was really good, if not forgotten by now.

I love that you forgot Henning/Windham.
Because nobody cared about Henning/Windham.
Then Raven walked out and it all turned to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

I love that you forgot Henning/Windham.
Because nobody cared about Henning/Windham.
Then Raven walked out and it all turned to poo poo.

It had already gone to poo poo when Raven walked out.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Did it? I can't remember it was 99.

Also, to reframe a question I asked in the New Blood Rising stream.
As of September 2000 the following wrestlers were on the payroll but not being used on television (that I am aware of).
Ric Flair
Sid
Lex Luger
Randy Savage
DDP
Scott Hall (?)
So the question is: With WCW's cost-cutting measures do you think the payroll of these 6 stars exceeded the payroll of every worker who was actually being used combined?
Maybe not. But let's throw what Hogan was owed as a result of his lawsuit into the mix. How about now?
(Even though WCW itself didn't actually pay off Hogan's settlement)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Anyone else remember like Spring of 99 when WCW had a decent resurgence of their tag team division via Raven/Saturn, Benoit/Malenko, and Mysterio/Kidman? Raven and Saturn were over as gently caress, despite not getting an obvious face push, and Saturn would come out in a black dress type thing wearing green contacts. The program only lasted a few months but it was really good, if not forgotten by now.
Hell yeah, it was the best. One of the reasons I kept watching (part of) Nitro instead of just totally abandoning it for Raw.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

Did it? I can't remember it was 99.

Also, to reframe a question I asked in the New Blood Rising stream.
As of September 2000 the following wrestlers were on the payroll but not being used on television (that I am aware of).
Ric Flair
Sid
Lex Luger
Randy Savage
DDP
Scott Hall (?)
So the question is: With WCW's cost-cutting measures do you think the payroll of these 6 stars exceeded the payroll of every worker who was actually being used combined?
Maybe not. But let's throw what Hogan was owed as a result of his lawsuit into the mix. How about now?
(Even though WCW itself didn't actually pay off Hogan's settlement)

Randy Savage wasn't under contract at that point. They wanted to fire Hall but he hurt his neck at Superbrawl, a show they wanted to fire him on. Flair was hurt. Those salaries definitely didn't constitute more than the contracts on screen, total payroll was around $30 MM and Goldberg was being used and getting $3 MM of that.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I tried writing a NBR review but after writing about the slog that was 2000 WCW so I would avoid watching the show, I then had to research the show and my enthusiasm faded

so instead I made this

https://i.imgur.com/X3jtsCV.gifv

And the one good thing I made

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 24, 2018

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Yes, and that was probably what I was most stoked for when I went to go see an episode of Nitro live. The only thing I actually remember from that night however is someone with a sign that said "Saturn is a fag" and security looking at it, shrugging, and waving the person through.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
No idea why, but sometimes if I'm having trouble sleeping I put on some WCW Saturday Night or WCW Worldwide or any of the syndicated shows. Something about the laid back format and jobber matches puts me at ease and I fall asleep to the sounds of a Norman Smiley/Barry Darsow match. I think it just makes me feel like a kid again, I miss syndicated programming and weird Saturday afternoon cable shows in general.

Nitro and Thunder don't work, too much poo poo going on that requires attention. I also don't enjoy the WWF syndicated shows like Metal or Jakked, they have too much attitude or whatever. I like the simple sets and fake MGM crowds of WCW better.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
TBS/TNT used to own Saturday evenings for me as a kid in the 90's.

WCW Saturday Night plus like 3 straight hours of Looney Tunes :discourse:

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 25, 2018

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Tato posted:

No idea why, but sometimes if I'm having trouble sleeping I put on some WCW Saturday Night or WCW Worldwide or any of the syndicated shows. Something about the laid back format and jobber matches puts me at ease and I fall asleep to the sounds of a Norman Smiley/Barry Darsow match. I think it just makes me feel like a kid again, I miss syndicated programming and weird Saturday afternoon cable shows in general.

Nitro and Thunder don't work, too much poo poo going on that requires attention. I also don't enjoy the WWF syndicated shows like Metal or Jakked, they have too much attitude or whatever. I like the simple sets and fake MGM crowds of WCW better.

I know exactly how you feel. In my area WCW worldwide ran at 1am on sunday night/monday morning which is around when I would go to bed. I remember many a nights laying in bed passing out to it. Funnily enough Shotgun Saturday night ran right before it on the same channel. That's right Shotgun Saturday Night aired at midnight Monday morning.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

exploded mummy posted:

I tried writing a NBR review but after writing about the slog that was 2000 WCW so I would avoid watching the show, I then had to research the show and my enthusiasm faded

so instead I made this

https://i.imgur.com/X3jtsCV.gifv

And the one good thing I made

:five:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Just now learning about the $4.99 WCW Backstage Blast stuff they offered via Directv where you paid for the privilege of seeing what happens backstage during commercial breaks. I've seen some tape traders offering them for sale, are these on the network or anywhere else? Sounds like a waste outside of getting to see certain matches unedited at the time (like the Owen Hart tribute match).

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Holy poo poo :randpop:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
No, that's mud.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Alright which one of you fuckers got it

https://twitter.com/HulkaMatt/status/962885487924076544

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There's more than one out there in the wild? :stare:

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

The person selling it clearly knew about this thread based on description. I wanna know who was selling it and who won it ASAP.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This is the third raft listing on ebay I am aware of. There was one sometime before we first noticed the raft promo on GAB 2000. Then there was the famous bidding war, and now this one. I'm not surprised people would be aware of the raft, I was putting feelers out for the raft when we were looking for the WCW on QVC episodes and myself and Moose tweeted about it pretty frequently. Champ Julius and I would also bug the WWE Archivist about it and he responded a few times so collectors following that account may have been aware of it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The 1/29/00 Observer had the most Scott Steiner quote possible.

quote:

Scott Rechsteiner was arrested on 1/23 from an incident at the TV tapings the night before which ended up being edited off television. This was after he beat up Daniels and Modest and "broke their legs." They were doing a stretcher job deal and Steiner started kicking one of the EMT's, apparently thinking they weren't real EMT's and were just local indie guys. As it turned out, they used real EMT's, and the one who got kicked pressed charges

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

MassRafTer posted:

That's an all-time Steiner classic, up there with "he yelled 'BLOW ME' over the speakers".

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Scott Steiner is the platonic ideal of professional wrestler.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I saw him at an indie show a year or so ago. My biggest memory of his match being his yelling at the ref "Touch me again and I'll poo poo on you"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ecavalli posted:

Scott Steiner is the platonic ideal of professional wrestler.

That random show on the Network detailing the background details of some big PPV (Mania?) where you see a security desk and there's a picture of Scott Steiner with a warning not to let him into the building :discourse:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

I saw him at an indie show a year or so ago. My biggest memory of his match being his yelling at the ref "Touch me again and I'll poo poo on you"

Not an idle threat from Scott Steiner.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

That random show on the Network detailing the background details of some big PPV (Mania?) where you see a security desk and there's a picture of Scott Steiner with a warning not to let him into the building :discourse:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Just got to the bit in the Monumental podcast where they point out that Scott and Rick have opposite facial hair.

Edit: Still not as cool as Buff flipping his moustache upside down.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 14, 2018

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
His smile as well.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Using a CAW, no less.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I've been reading through every Observer from when Russo took over in WCW and something caught my eye once I got to 2000. There's a real unsung hero in WCW during the month of May. A hero the fans can believe in, a hero the fans want to see, a light shining in the darkness of poo poo. Yes my friends, I'm talking about the one, the only, GOLDBERG.....truck:

quote:

• Nitro on 5/8 - They tried to kidnap Hogan, but the Goldberg monster truck blocked them and Hogan, with his magical powers, since I guess he saw the Houdini biography special, escaped the trunk.

• The Goldberg monster truck then ran over Rick Steiner & Abbott's car. Now, the announcers knew this, so logically, if they knew Rick Steiner & Abbott came in the same car to the building in the first place, well, thankfully no other TV drama is written so well? And this was one of the better Nitros of the year

• The Nitro Jarrett vs. Sting main event drew a 2.82 rating, which has to be somewhat disappointing particularly because they strongly teased Goldberg being there and making an appearance with both the Goldberg music tease by Abbott and the Goldberg monster truck appearance teasing Goldberg as the driver.

----------------------------------------------------------------

• Bagwell's version to police was that when Miller asked him to move, he thought he did so rudely. After words were exchanged, Bagwell said he was upset with Miller and "punched him upside the neck" because Bagwell said Miller "pissed him off, so he hit him." Police talked with Pfohl and Heulette who both claimed that neither saw or heard anything because a Goldberg monster truck was crushing a Buick at the same time.

• Nitro on 5/15 - They kept showing the Goldberg truck. The belief, and this may be true, is that this truck means more ratings than any of the wrestlers. With the exception of Flair, I'd bet money on that.

• Scott Steiner went outside for a street fight with Tank and Rick, who were beating on him until the Goldberg truck made the save.

• Thunder on 5/16 - The Goldberg truck came out to a big pop.

• Abbott & Rick attack Scott, who holds his own until Awesome joins in. They're about to put Scott on the stretcher when the Goldberg truck made the save. Rick & Tank go after the truck while Scott throws both on the hood of the truck and it backs out of the arena.

• The show ended with the MC tipping over the DX, I mean NB bus and the Goldberg truck ran over it

• 5/22 Observer - Speaking of Goldberg, the expected jealousy regarding him is rearing its head with some of the other top guys (and if you think of the obvious suspects you'll probably be very close) complaining about them pushing him (through the monster truck gimmick) when he himself isn't coming back for several weeks

• 5/29 Observer - Steiner cut a major promo on Russo backstage because the 5/15 Nitro angle was mistimed with the truck making the save late because the driver missed his cue. He was probably upset because some of the blows were really stiff and he had his eye shut and his mouth busted open

Sadly, the Goldberg truck would make no more appearances in June, as Goldberg came back from injury to immediately turn heel aka the biggest event in wrestling ever

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Goldberg truck is the second best thing of 2000, #1 being The Wall vs Hogan feud from Spring Breakout 2000.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
too bad wcw didn't have the balls to have the monster truck do an actual run in

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

the page actually says HOLLER IF YOU HEAR THIS MAN

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

#1 being The Wall vs Hogan feud from Spring Breakout 2000.

...wait, THAT was who was up there on that roof? :aaa:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Peanut President posted:

too bad wcw didn't have the balls to have the monster truck do an actual run in

It did and then DDP thew Mike awesome onto it and it does away

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

The Goldberg truck is the second best thing of 2000, #1 being The Wall vs Hogan feud from Spring Breakout 2000.

Oh my god that was 2000? I always assumed like 1995.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

dont even fink about it posted:

Just when you think you grasp the shittiness of WCW’s final years, you discover a whole new dimension of stupid you’d never imagined. It’s like a matryoshka of crap nestled within more crap.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The only thing I can't believe about those recaps is that Big Poppa Pump was being booked as a face.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright, crossposting from the games thread because relevant.

We're talking wrestling management Sim TEW 2016 here. Forgive the excessive game mechanics talk if you are unfamiliar.

My NECW 0/0/0 game is going quite well. Well enough that I decided to start a new game because that's how I am. Once January 2000 hit and the Radicalz left and Bret retired and Goldberg got injured I asked myself "I know this is garbage and all but what could they even do in this scenario?'

So I decided to find out. I saw that there is a Jan 2000 historical mod in the 2013 mod archives so I dug that out and converted it. The first thing I notice is that in this mod The Radicalz are still in WCW and Bret Hart is not-retired. This will not do. So before I started the game I moved all the Radicalz to the WWF and retired Bret Hart to really get that 'this is the point of no return' feel WCW had in Jan 2000.

I fire up the game and it is every bit as insane as I thought it would be.
All 7 of the 'true' active main eventers (Sid, Nash, Hall, DDP, Flair, Steiner, Luger) have pops ranging from 70-80, which isn't nearly good enough for a National company. Of the 7, 6 of them are disciplinary headaches, 5 are heels, 2 are faces. I decide to even things out by turning Sid Vicious face. So 4 and 3. This is good. Except Lex Luger wrestled wasted forcing me to send him to rehab for 8 months. Then Hall wrestled drunk, which I absolutely saw coming; so to rehab he goes for the remainder of his contract. So now we're down to 3 faces and 2 heels. And then I remember that Sting, Hogan and Goldberg are on the shelf. 3 more main event faces, which will create a massive inequity when they return. And unlike IRL I am not turning Goldberg heel. I have Piper and Savage in the short term, whom I was loathe to use because they're occasional wrestlers. But their contracts are up in two months.

Savage will be passing the torch to Booker T. Piper beat up Chavo backstage so I'm sending him off with a clean job to Chavo out of raw spite really.

So for the first month I desperately try to keep the show ratings high, which means no room for experimentation because with things the way they are my best workers are just barely capable of maintaining two 77 rated storylines at a time.

Oh, did I mention that in this mod the 12 workers I've mentioned have a combined salary of 1.3 Million Dollars a month. For the uninitiated, this is 5 times their market value according to the game's calculations. I can't even release them because it would be financially crippling. 12 workers, 1.3 million dollars and as of right now only 5 of them are active. I wound up sending Sid on vacation because he wouldn't stop getting Morale dings on account of being isolated in the locker room and Nash has gotten suspended for beating up Brad Armstrong. Basically the financial future of this company is tethered to how long these contracts are around my neck. I can get rid of Piper and Savage in 2 months, Hall in 6, but I'm stuck with the rest for the next 2-3 years depending.

Luckily, I still made a profit my 1st month.
Unluckily I also dropped to Cult after losing the national battle to the WWE. The dirt sheets are predicting my demise.
And all of my TV contracts are up in 2 months. And Turner Broadcasting/TNT/TBS won't negotiate with me, forcing me to wonder if I'll still be able to turn a profit once that happens, because if I can't there's not much I can do about it. This is really the only real problem. You can ride out everything else, just not losing money.

At which point it's operation 'drive the bad contracts into quitting'. I'm already there with Nash. Just waiting for him to get into another fight and that's 150k/mo in my pocket.

Creatively much like the actual WCW of the time I'm going with the youth movement. Except with good youths. I took a necessary risk and spent 1M on a developmental territory and signed all your usual indie darlings of 2000 suspects to it. I'm bringing in more road agents and higher character workers to try the mitigate the damage my overpaid idiots are doing backstage. My first creative goal is to push Rey Mysterio Jr. to the world title. I'm also gearing up Booker T, Juventud, and Steven Regal to a point where they can carry the brand once I start kicking the old money to the curb.

This is where being Cult is useful. The pressure of gaining pop is lessened so I can experiment and rebuild. If I lose some pop, I'll regain it once the company's turnover plans come to fruition. In that vein I'll be transferring Thunder to 'B' show status once I switch stations, since I really don't want 2 opportunities to lose pop per week.

But this is a 2 year plan and I'm on month 2. Here's to hoping all these ridiculous contracts don't kill me. Suggestions welcome

oh, and the first thing I did was to fire the Harris Bros and Hugh Morrus because gently caress those guys. Not Jarrett though. He's actually useful believe it or not.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 17, 2018

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

dont even fink about it posted:

You're probably thinking of Hogan's feud with The Giant which also featured rooftops and monster trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Regal and Juvi would absolutely be a disaster to build around in ANY company in 2000 considered how hosed up they were.