Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Reconfirming my belief that slate is trash. First half of the article is “unfair! self driving cars need a marker on bikes because Volvo said so” second part is “Waymo is amazing and fixed it all” both equally devoid of actual content or in depth analysis.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
a ton of media takes on self driving cars are basically public relations clickbait meant to resonate with american ideals of technological progress as being an unequivocal Good Thing

watch people resist this idea in the thread dedicated to mocking technological progress

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/lockedgrooves/status/954774649144922112

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Noggin Monkey posted:

Unironically, please source your quotes.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the exact phrasing so my Googling efforts are failing. It was in Justine Musk's Livejournal, https://moschus.livejournal.com/

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Is that the lawsuit about if drivers should get 80% of the sales tax or not in new york? That seemed like probably not.

Like that isn't normally how that stuff would work, if something was 1 dollar and then had 20% tax and someone wanted to split it 50/50 you couldn't give each person 60 cents and then create 20 more cents to pay the tax, you gotta calculate the percent then the tax.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is that the lawsuit about if drivers should get 80% of the sales tax or not in new york? That seemed like probably not.

Like that isn't normally how that stuff would work, if something was 1 dollar and then had 20% tax and someone wanted to split it 50/50 you couldn't give each person 60 cents and then create 20 more cents to pay the tax, you gotta calculate the percent then the tax.

Why didn’t you read the article to see it was something else before blathering on for two paragraphs?

quote:

For example, on February 2, 2017, Plaintiff drove an UberX passenger from 3408 Cherry Lane in Raleigh, North Carolina, to 101 Macaw Street in Raleigh, North Carolina. The passenger was charged $15.38. This is the Fare. The Booking Fee in Raleigh at the time was $1.80. So Dulberg should have made 80% of ($15.38 - $1.80) = $10.86.

But Dulberg was paid $9.91 (80% of Uber’s backend calculation of $12.39). This is 95 cents less than Dulberg should have made under the Agreement (the difference is magnified on longer rides). Indeed, instead of receiving the promised 80% of the Fare, Dulberg received approximately 73%.

Uber is paying drivers off the estimated fare not the actual fare.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Rhesus Pieces posted:

So just adding a regular manual latch is out of the question?

Some engineer this guy is

They'd have to find a new speaker to hide the latch behind.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Trabisnikof posted:

Uber is paying drivers off the estimated fare not the actual fare.

That quote doesn't specify where the discrepancy comes from at all, if it comes from "yeah that is the price with sales tax" then it is working the way literally everyone on earth would think it would work

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That quote doesn't specify where the discrepancy comes from at all, if it comes from "yeah that is the price with sales tax" then it is working the way literally everyone on earth would think it would work

Have you read the article yet? Or still just too busy rushing to defend uber

quote:

"The theory is that the court should look closely at the terms of the agreement that Uber sends to the drivers, and see what it says about compensation; then make sure that Uber keeps to its side of the agreement," Miriam Cherry, a labor law professor at St. Louis University, emailed Ars. "The drivers here seem to be alleging that there are two ways to calculate fares (estimated and actual), and that they are being paid on the lower number."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Unfortunately, I can't remember the exact phrasing so my Googling efforts are failing. It was in Justine Musk's Livejournal, https://moschus.livejournal.com/

I checked with a friend who also followed that train-wreck of a blog, and she remembers it as his wanting to make sure his superior genetics resulted in as many children as possible. Her memory is much more reliable than mine.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'll give Musk credit about successfully transforming his public image. He needs to share his hair transplant tech with Trump because lol at how he looked during his term at PayPal and now.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I checked with a friend who also followed that train-wreck of a blog, and she remembers it as his wanting to make sure his superior genetics resulted in as many children as possible. Her memory is much more reliable than mine.

Invariably anyone who thinks this should be sterilized.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I support forced sterilization of anyone who has ever described themselves as "an entrepreneur" or "job creator."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cicero posted:

That doesn't make any sense. It's the US government's decision to rely on private companies for launching poo poo.

elon musk could spend his money electing politicians that would undo this.

ps super genius elon musk once described himself as "socially liberal and economically conservative" which is how every idiot 19 year old describes their politics.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I'm glad Elon Musk is mortal and will one day stop profiting from the exploitation of his workers. Likewise his spawn.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

I'm glad Elon Musk is mortal and will one day stop profiting from the exploitation of his workers. Likewise his spawn.

but dont you understand, one day the proletariat will be crushed beneath the heel of capital on another planet and that is the most noble goal any of us can work towards

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I want to see the doughy computer touching prick to work in his retarded overgrown Sinclair C5 factory for a day and not die from the shock of work

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Wassbix posted:

If I lick Master Musk's boot long enough maybe he will take me on his spaceship.

*spaceship misses orbit and gets flung into an asteroid belt*

Maybe he’s secretly trying to hit Ceres and claim it as his own.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fishmech posted:

The really weird thing about all that is that their production process for their other models has been suited to scaling up to a pretty reasonable production rate, they just decided to throw all of that into the trash for the model 3 for no apparent reason.

Elon “Elon Musk” Musk said “do it like THIS” and he fires anyone who says no to him

kind of like when SJ decided to rework NeXT’s automated factory in Fremont to run the other direction…for aesthetic reasons

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
In non-Musk chat:

First, famed ex-Google dudebro lost his lawsuit. Guess sending a memo around claiming that women are subhuman is not protected protesting of working conditions!

https://twitter.com/sehurlburt/status/964664222478090242

And in the "innovative" tradition of just mixing and matching buzzwords to fleece VC's of their money, DNA+blockchain!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In non-Musk chat:

First, famed ex-Google dudebro lost his lawsuit. Guess sending a memo around claiming that women are subhuman is not protected protesting of working conditions!

And in the "innovative" tradition of just mixing and matching buzzwords to fleece VC's of their money, DNA+blockchain!

Good, gently caress that guy.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hey buddy, wanna loan backed by your crypto assets?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Still tho, at least Musk isn't overworking his employees to elect republicans or dig up coal or deliver wiretaps by drone.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In non-Musk chat:

He just lost his NLRB complaint; the lawsuit still appears to be pending. From the article it also appears that the person who they (Damore, et al) highlighted as harassing him and going unpunished... was actually punished. I can't imagine this will bode well for the lawsuit at large; especially since I cannot imagine Google would be quick to settle such a case rather than defending itself.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

First, famed ex-Google dudebro lost his lawsuit.
I wanna see that twit lose all of everything, but this was only the labor board thing, he's still got the lawsuit going:

blermblarg posted:

Damore withdrew his complaint in January and his lawyer has said she’s focusing instead on the engineer’s lawsuit accusing the internet giant of harassing him and others over their conservative political views

efb

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I guess I'm not the most trusted name in news anymore! :smith:

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

gently caress george church and his endless fountain of bullshit

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Damore's face is enough punishment

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

shrike82 posted:

Damore's face is enough punishment

That's punishment for us whenever he's in the news. Kind of like Forums Cancer.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

imagine that face producing this

quote:

In addition to the Left’s affinity for those it sees as weak, humans are generally biased towards protecting females. As mentioned before, this likely evolved because males are biologically disposable and because women are generally more cooperative and areeable than men. We have extensive government and Google programs, fields of study, and legal and social norms to protect women, but when a man complains about a gender issue issue [sic] affecting men, he’s labelled as a misogynist and whiner[10]. Nearly every difference between men and women is interpreted as a form of women’s oppression. As with many things in life, gender differences are often a case of “grass being greener on the other side”; unfortunately, taxpayer and Google money is spent to water only one side of the lawn.

lol just lol

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

shrike82 posted:

lol just lol

Gah! :nws:+:nms: that poo poo!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

shrike82 posted:

lol just lol

Well you know:
https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/964612218825334785?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

im surprised dude didn't drop a "femoid" in his memo

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
fembot

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Haha he's got a woman lawyer, how does he make that work in his head.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Haha he's got a woman lawyer, how does he make that work in his head.

On average, women are less well-endowed to become techlords or lawyers, but if the rare non-average woman with unusually high levels of sperg makes it into one of these professions, who is he to judge? :shrug:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

duz posted:

They'd have to find a new speaker to hide the latch behind.

There's a very good reason engineers are traditionally kept far away from the public and final designs.

Take the BMW i8, for example. It's engineered out the wazoo, but at no point were things like "must be used by humans" or "will be driven on the road" taken into account.

Certainly "what if something goes wrong" was never even considered for a moment.

For instance, the i8 has a pressurised fuel tank and no manual release for the filler cap. You must wait for the pressure to equalise on its own. This may take up to 5 minutes. Up to 15 with extreme weather.

If you need to pop the hood, you will require two people, each working from opposite sides of the car. They must each pull on their respective release cords at the same time to release the hood. When opening the hood, both people must lift at the same time and by the same amount or the carbon fibre making up the hood will crack. After opening the hood you will find that there is no way to hold it open. BMW technicians recommend jamming screwdrivers into the struts. Really.

The manual emergency exit controls for the doors, to be used in case of power failure, accident or when if the vehicle is on fire, are incredibly small, fragile and counter intuitive. BMW technicians says most people break them when trying to use them. It should be noted, this means "they break them and are now unable to exit the vehicle". Not good if you're on fire.

And all of these things (and many more!) are not oversights which only came out after the car was released. They were, each and every one, by design.

Engineers sat down and deliberately choose to take away control from the driver in a thousand little ways which probably look great on paper, but none take into account that, in the real world, things break.

Here's a great youtube video of what I'm talking about. For several years you couldn't find it anywhere online because BMW was putting so much effort into getting it taken down.

I heartily recommend watching just the first 30 seconds to see the emergency door release I was talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxe_b2GRwok

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

There's a very good reason engineers are traditionally kept far away from the public and final designs.

Take the BMW i8, for example. It's engineered out the wazoo, but at no point were things like "must be used by humans" or "will be driven on the road" taken into account.

Certainly "what if something goes wrong" was never even considered for a moment.

For instance, the i8 has a pressurised fuel tank and no manual release for the filler cap. You must wait for the pressure to equalise on its own. This may take up to 5 minutes. Up to 15 with extreme weather.

If you need to pop the hood, you will require two people, each working from opposite sides of the car. They must each pull on their respective release cords at the same time to release the hood. When opening the hood, both people must lift at the same time and by the same amount or the carbon fibre making up the hood will crack. After opening the hood you will find that there is no way to hold it open. BMW technicians recommend jamming screwdrivers into the struts. Really.

The manual emergency exit controls for the doors, to be used in case of power failure, accident or when if the vehicle is on fire, are incredibly small, fragile and counter intuitive. BMW technicians says most people break them when trying to use them. It should be noted, this means "they break them and are now unable to exit the vehicle". Not good if you're on fire.

And all of these things (and many more!) are not oversights which only came out after the car was released. They were, each and every one, by design.

Engineers sat down and deliberately choose to take away control from the driver in a thousand little ways which probably look great on paper, but none take into account that, in the real world, things break.

Here's a great youtube video of what I'm talking about. For several years you couldn't find it anywhere online because BMW was putting so much effort into getting it taken down.

I heartily recommend watching just the first 30 seconds to see the emergency door release I was talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxe_b2GRwok

BMW = Bayerischer Mistwagen anyway, overrated pieces of crap that you should only own either to compensate as a conversation piece or if you can also afford servants to keep them running :v:

Though I wonder to what extent those decisions were actually done by engineers and to what extent they were driven by dumbass requirements and an executive-imposed desire to force the customer to pay for basic maintenance which were then engineered in to the letter.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 17, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Because if there's one thing that BMWs need, it's to be more expensive to maintain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

suck my woke dick posted:

Though I wonder to what extent those decisions were actually done by engineers and to what extent they were driven by dumbass requirements and an executive-imposed desire to force the customer to pay for basic maintenance which were then engineered in to the letter.

I'd be shocked if it were not this.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Because if there's one thing that BMWs need, it's to be more expensive to maintain.

Yes, non-ironically, this is a huge part of BMW's business model.