Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Matt Lindland posted:

YOu build between two and nine sheens a game.

Hey Siri, remind me to post on the forums if I ever go 1 and 6 in lane against an assassin, or in 40 minutes, whichever is faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

which unique passive would whomp the most if it was not unique?

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

pog boyfriend posted:

Assuming it stacks multiplicatively 6 deathcaps would give ~4360 AP

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

5 Archangels+Deathcap used to be hilarious

Infinity Edge crit damage passive would be pretty silly too. 500% crits would be ridiculous

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
My only assassin complaint is when Zed is good enough to just slam creep waves with his AoE in laning phase he is tedious as gently caress to play against.

Assassins are very fun to play against, at least personally from a support role. Nothing makes you feel more useful than completely shutting down someone attempting to murder your team.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

pog boyfriend posted:

how quickly we forget the sins of our forefathers and the Six Black Cleavers Meta

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I remember the days of the perfect build. Boots and all the Sunfires you can carry.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

5 Archangels+Deathcap used to be hilarious

Infinity Edge crit damage passive would be pretty silly too. 500% crits would be ridiculous

hey chief i might not hit very often but if i do hit i do 2.5 thousand damage. if you do this on caitlyn and headshot someone theoretically it can 1shot most characters in the game but it gets hard countered by: Six Thornmails

E: six thornmails does 438 damage every time you block a hit and blocks roughly 85% of damage, making the 2.5 thousand damage crit deal something like 377 damage instead. wow. you would also have a cool 1500 extra HP to play around with so you will definitely come out ahead trading with the 6 IE adc.

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 16, 2018

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

el dingo posted:

hello i am tahm kench support

As someone from deep south Louisiana, I have to admit I really like Tahm Kench's aesthetic. Can't wait for him to be on free rotation.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Hey Siri, remind me to post on the forums if I ever go 1 and 6 in lane against an assassin, or in 40 minutes, whichever is faster

Yeah, I think the best thing to do if you're frustrated playing against assassins is to just play some games as them to gain an appreciation for their weaknesses etc. Keeby is definitely right that they're 1) super satisfying to shut down and 2) actually pretty finicky to play; knowing when to engage /what cc to play around /when you can all-in can be very difficult and learning to play them also lets you learn to play against them.

I used to get real frustrated by zed or Kat or whatever, but after playing as them for a while I got a very good intro into their weaknesses.

I think that approach really works well for any champ you have trouble against. Best case scenario, you play the champ, there's no counter play, and you just roll on up the ladder with them.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I actually am not really a fan of Kat's currentl implementation thanks to how quickly she can delete people (gunblade is really dumb on her), but I digress. Just throw your CC on her dagger before she hops

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

pog boyfriend posted:

The answer does depend on whether Deathcap would be multiplicative or additive, but otherwise Guinsoos would be pretty wild.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The way Scarra's explained it is that Kat's current implementation is a champ that depends heavily on her opponent's lack of knowledge about her mechanics. The more your opponent starts to understand how dagger positioning works (they'll always land exactly 350 units behind the final bounce target unless impeded by terrain), the less you can actually do to them. I think they've got her in a really tricky to balance situation, because a champion like that becomes really hard to balance around all MMRs.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Vermain posted:

The way Scarra's explained it is that Kat's current implementation is a champ that depends heavily on her opponent's lack of knowledge about her mechanics. The more your opponent starts to understand how dagger positioning works (they'll always land exactly 350 units behind the final bounce target unless impeded by terrain), the less you can actually do to them. I think they've got her in a really tricky to balance situation, because a champion like that becomes really hard to balance around all MMRs.

It would not surprise me one iota to learn that the rework team plants subtly crippling systemic design flaws like this so they have a justification for doing additional reworks down the line, because it's the only way they can get an erection anymore

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

JerryLee posted:

It would not surprise me one iota to learn that the rework team plants subtly crippling systemic design flaws like this so they have a justification for doing additional reworks down the line, because it's the only way they can get an erection anymore

It's more that Katarina's sort of a nightmare to try and rework. The problem's twofold: you've got very inbuilt expectations of what the champion does because of how iconic her old gameplay and abilities were, and you've got modern design strictures surrounding assassins that you have to follow (specifically: their combo has to have a delay at the start and it needs to have outplay potential while it's being executed). If you get handed the Warwick rework, you're getting a sheet of paper that says, "Werewolf man that hunts people and suppresses them with his ult." If you get handed the Katarina rework, you're getting a sheet of paper that says, "Hot assassin babe with a dagger that bounces between units, a unit-targeted teleport, Death Lotus as an ultimate, and reset potential," and you have to make that work within the context of their new assassin guidelines.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnsiZOJjfUg

how the gently caress is this a S goddamn minus

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Servaetes posted:

I was going to say CS, but 99 CS from jungle seems okay for a 21 minute game (check me on this). So I don't know.

What else does it measure? Objectives?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it really, *really* emphasizes ward control, so if you didnt kill any wards or didnt buy a control ward, there you go

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

pog boyfriend posted:

I've heard legends of Twitch stalking around, invisible, with multiple Sunfire Capes and everyone around him slowly melting

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Do we know if they are planning on moving forward with the possible jungle item changes in 8.4?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Bleck posted:

I've heard legends of Twitch stalking around, invisible, with multiple Sunfire Capes and everyone around him slowly melting
That was Eve.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Vermain posted:

kat is still extremely competitive in challenger mmr so is it only pro players that know how to counter her?

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Smol posted:

Do we know if they are planning on moving forward with the possible jungle item changes in 8.4?

Yes they are

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

kat is still extremely competitive in challenger mmr so is it only pro players that know how to counter her?

The big thing is that most of her counter play is 'the only way for her to reset her blink is to blink to this exact location first, and also please cc me immediately' so if you don't have push button crowd control and you are slow on the uptake, or worse, miss, katarina basically gets a free lunch and you walk away single on valentine's day.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

This post has already been answered but I think some of the differences between challenger and pro play is that people in pro are more willing to play a boring rear end champion to counter another pick. If Nautilus or whatever is the perfect Katarina counter, people are still gonna pick Riven and Yasuo top in challenger, they're just gonna be a lot better at those picks than in silver.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Vermain posted:

I think they've got her in a really tricky to balance situation, because a champion like that becomes really hard to balance around all MMRs.

Congratulations, you've hit on the reason most assassins ended up in the dumpster after the assassin revamp and ensuing ratio tweaks. They did a great job of adding mechanical hooks to modify them, but across the board increased the gap between a perfectly executed assassin and a poorly executed one, meaning they got way harder to balance.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Oh damnit. Rip Tracker’s Knife freelo.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

wodin posted:

Congratulations, you've hit on the reason most assassins ended up in the dumpster after the assassin revamp and ensuing ratio tweaks. They did a great job of adding mechanical hooks to modify them, but across the board increased the gap between a perfectly executed assassin and a poorly executed one, meaning they got way harder to balance.

Assassins aren't in the dumpster tho. Kat is a top mid laner, KZ is a high win rate jungler, and that's just off the top of my head

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Enigma89 posted:

I'm new to league but a hard core DotA player. Just curious what you guys think of my stats, builds and rune on Draven. I ran aery for a while but using klepto now.

Have about a 50% win rate which I think is pretty solid for never playing League before. I have a bet with a friend that if I rank into Bronze 2 he quits league and comes to DotA.

http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=Enigma89

Any tips would be recommended. I have been noticing that I have been queuing up with gold, plat and silver players so I feel like hitting Bronze 2 should be fairly easy but just doing a gut check with this post.

Not that anyone cares but I ended up placing Silver IV (went 4-6 in placements) and now am up to Silver 3. I hit promos for Silver 2 pretty fast but lost those games so still grinding away.

My friend who tilts like crazy and has been playing for league placed Bronze 3 lol.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Servaetes posted:

lmao. but i feel your pain.

E:

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 17, 2018

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Placing in silver 4 is pretty good for a newcomer, even with dota experience. Grats on your internet points

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
My feeling is that it has become somewhat harder to earn S(-) grades, especially in ARAM.
It's not impossible that they've tweaked something behind the curtain like making vision score or kill participation or %damage etc worth more than before.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

iSurrender posted:

My feeling is that it has become somewhat harder to earn S(-) grades, especially in ARAM.
It's not impossible that they've tweaked something behind the curtain like making vision score or kill participation or %damage etc worth more than before.

the grades are curved based off how well other people do on the champions, so the more difficult/lower winrate the champion is, the easier it is to get S ranks. for this reason it is very difficult to get an S rank with, say, tristana, but you can very easily get S ranks if you play karthus.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

the grades are curved based off how well other people do on the champions, so the more difficult/lower winrate the champion is, the easier it is to get S ranks. for this reason it is very difficult to get an S rank with, say, tristana, but you can very easily get S ranks if you play karthus.

I play a little Azir. I'm high silver. The bar for S ranks on bird man in that mmr is just laying on the floor.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

pog boyfriend posted:

I know it's based on how well others do, I'm basing my hypothesis on the difference Im getting in grades this season compared to last. I picked up 40+ chests last year, and most of those took 2-3 games per champ even for champs I suck at by just farming a lot and playing for KDA. This year Im finding it harder to go above A+.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Rygar201 posted:

Assassins aren't in the dumpster tho. Kat is a top mid laner, KZ is a high win rate jungler, and that's just off the top of my head

Kha is sub 50% winrate

Zed, Akali, Rengar, Kayn, Noc, Ekko, Kass all are struggling. Talon/Leblanc are mediocre. It's pretty much only Kat one tricks and Fizz. And Eve.

Talon and Rengar are getting buffs at least in the next couple patches.

e: Camille and Riven are probably better assassins right now than most of the assassins

Firebert fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 17, 2018

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi
Oh nice, just found out that you can get three skins/champs for free. Just gotta like Riot's facebook, subscribe to their Youtube, and follow their twitter. Finally, I have skins!

Enigma89 posted:

Not that anyone cares but I ended up placing Silver IV (went 4-6 in placements) and now am up to Silver 3. I hit promos for Silver 2 pretty fast but lost those games so still grinding away.

My friend who tilts like crazy and has been playing for league placed Bronze 3 lol.

I care! Congrats! I'm barely level 15 but looking forward to eventually playing ranked.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

Nightgull posted:

Oh nice, just found out that you can get three skins/champs for free. Just gotta like Riot's facebook, subscribe to their Youtube, and follow their twitter. Finally, I have skins!

I care! Congrats! I'm barely level 15 but looking forward to eventually playing ranked.

You can also get a whole bunch of skins through hextech crafting.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi

iSurrender posted:

You can also get a whole bunch of skins through hextech crafting.

Yeah, I've gotten Bioforge Darius through chests. Now I just need Darius...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nightgull posted:

Yeah, I've gotten Bioforge Darius through chests. Now I just need Darius...

If you don't have the champ, just dust the shard unless it's a skin you really really want.